1972_Bally_Deluxe_Progressive_(resized).jpg
20160528_164734-1_(resized).jpg
Backglass_(resized).jpg
cvbackglass_(resized).png
slotroom1_(resized).jpg
BB2-panoramica_(resized).jpg
235033_(resized).jpg
235031_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#458 7 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Be careful Mr68, that guy will send you a PM threatening physical violence and tell you how big of a bad ass he is.

I got lectured about how the internet works followed up by him doing exactly what he said I can't do... It's quiet funny to watch play out. It's like the naive have been let out into the wild for the first time...

#459 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

...and guessing you have insight and extensive knowledge of production lines, especially at Stern?

When you've been following the company, its employees, their statements, interviews, and tours for 15 plus years... You may know more than the guy who just assumes the company is the carbon copy average mechanical assembly plant.

#521 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Their suppliers didn't move into larger facilities along with them.

Gotta be more to it than that.. as output has seemed to stall. If it were simply stern would ship 150 games a week, and now want to ship 300.. but are stuck at 150.. we'd at least have the 150 games pouring out a week. They seem to spit and spurt right now.. which infers a general part availability issue.

Churchhill has been mentioned before in rumors.. but we haven't heard anything solid besides 'suppliers'... for a problem that has been going on for like 9months now.

#538 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I could be mistaken but I don't think Stern has ever had much of a participating presence here, though we know they read everything here daily. Jared posted some when he was first employed, but he was a member here before he was an employee of Stern. Perhaps I am forgetting something?

Ritchie, keefer, and others used to post. I think Jodi had an account too (too lazy to look).

#582 7 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I'm sorry that's just weak. What they are basically saying is we'd try to communicate with our customers but then we'd have to deal with some criticism and ignore a few trolls. Sorry our skin isn't thick enough to ignore trolls and jerks so we treat all our customers like mushrooms. Feed em crap and keep them in the dark. It's a weak excuse for all the fans and buyers out here IMO.

When people don't treat people like people... they won't stay around to take the unnecessary abuse.

#583 7 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Stern has no problem with advertising and hyping their products and brand to consumers directly through social media and events. Why is it unreasonable to expect them to communicate high level issues that ultimately affect their customers? Seems like a double standard.

No - it's called DISTRIBUTION.

Do you call your car company for your order status or your car dealer?

#597 7 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

This comparison is just silly.

I guess you just can't handle the truth... its the same.

#599 7 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Remember when everyone thought their LES were about to ship a month ago? I didn't see any corrective response from Stern. It just made them look good, even if it was nowhere close to being true.

If Stern were to try to correct every idiot on the internet they'd need an army. Pros didn't even start shipping till end of april/start of may. Anyone who thought they were getting an LE at the end of april was delusional.

#600 7 years ago
Quoted from CryHavoc:

Ugh. As a fresh faced Millenial myself, at what point am I allowed to contribute to the discussion? Is the attitude here really just "you'll take what we give you and you'll like it"? I don't have any orders right now so i don't have any skin in the game, but comments that amount to "you're young and new, so go sit in the corner while the adults talk" really rub me the wrong way.

or he could have said... do some research before coming in an trying to tell everyone the way the world SHOULD BE... but since you needed it spelled out..

#680 7 years ago
Quoted from srk15:

Jack did not ship for years after 2011 the first change for Stern was the LE after private equity got involved in 2009.

When jack launched jjp and had a ton of preorders right off the bat... That's when stern pivoted... Starting by rehiring George Gomez to lead game design and their subsequent attempts at new marketing (the transformers and men videos etc) were highly visible. The le games in 2010 were very limited in concept... But they had been trying the alternate level games (Costco, etc) leading up to that time. It's after woz that stern followed that you can make Cadillac games and people would pay for them.

#690 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Do you mean Steve Ritchie?

If I screwed that timing, sorry, but the gist is the same. Stern rebooted their inhouse team and assigned Gomez as a new position to establish building feature rich games, and getting the talent in house vs relying on the idea of contracted designers like they had been relying on for the 'big name' designers. Re-establishing the in-house team with a vet like Gomez at the top was really what I was focusing on.

#691 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Except No Fear.. they tried a crappy design there and ditched it.

Honestly, I think Stern's setup is just as good from a usability standpoint (assuming you have full playfield support brackets and not the pegs). You can still pull the playfield out far enough to work on any rear mechs.. I think the butt of Stern playfields actually come a little further forward than WMS. However, because the playfield is not physically attached to the mounting system, it can be easily lifted out by 2 people for extensive service. If you keep the slide rails greased, it travels in and out of position almost as smoothly as the WMS setup.
Now, the switch to pegs? Utter stupidity. Risking damage to underplayfield components to save a couple bucks on metal just sucks.

The easy at which the Stern PF gets out of skew is a negative of the Stern system. The WMS design keeps the PF square when moving in and out much better IMO. Of course the locking, vs the 'slam it over the lip' is better too IMO.

#700 7 years ago
Quoted from srk15:

Hiring in 2011 the economy is why

No, that is a macro view of the world, that misses the actual activities within Stern itself and specifically the pinball industry. Stern had been squeezing the BOM for some time. They flirted with the 'A lister' designers by contracting SR and PL but they kept the inhouse team on the cheaper side. Gary was focusing on building cheap games to meet his intended operator price point.. and as volumes kept sliding, he kept building cheaper and cheaper games trying to make the numbers work (and we got crap like NBA, 24, IJ, etc). Then, with the increased pressure of the recession, they got ultimate cutback and lay off more than half the design staff in 2008. Gary was cutting to the bone trying to keep production going and things were iffy. Then in 2009, Dave Peterson comes into the picture as an investor and leader in the business and Stern starts trying new concepts to diversify.. build more than one type of pinball machine, sold through different channels, etc. But the 'build them with these mandatory features, and build them cheap' was still Gary's mantra, and we get lightweight games like IM.

Pinballnew's 2009 year in review highlights Gary's comments about the design trend at the time - http://www.pinballnews.com/comment/2009.html

People were clamoring for richer feature games.. but Gary won't hear it, arguing his model is what is necessary to make it all work. To his credit, he did keep the ship afloat, but the trajectory was not good and home buyers in particular were calling for change. At the end of 2010, JackG believes he knows the potential market is strong enough to make that cadillac game that Gary Stern refuses to make.. and shuts down his relationship with Stern to create JJP. They introduce the WOZ concept promising to build the best game every made, promising innovation, and basically everything that Stern refuses to do.

JJP also immediately starts hiring all the top talent Stern threw to the curb. JJP promised to build a cadillac and was hiring industry vets and collector favorites to do it. JJP hired JoeB, Keefer, Nordman, Greg Freres and other well known players. JJP offers the WOZ pre-order with the promise of the Emerald City LE edition and price discounts in exchange for deposits and things go gangbusters. The market responded to JJPs moves positively... while meanwhile Stern is sitting there trying to build the Gary formula game as cheaply as possible with a skeleton crew.. heavily relying on John Borg, who up to that time had been more of a C/B lister... rather than the celebrity designers.. and relying on contracting out most disciplines he can (like art, sound, etc).

Yes, this timing also aligns with the rebound in the overall economy, but it was the movement within the pinball world that finally got Stern to pivot. Left facing new competition that is on a hiring spree, promising the world and everyone thinking this is the second coming and throwing their money at it.. Stern pivots. Gary capitulates and mends fences with SteveRitchie in March 2011 and promising he will be able to build the kinds of games they think are needed, not just Gary's vision of the world (aka NBA). They hire the king, and then go onto to rebuild the inhouse talent pool by bringing in Gomez to lead engineering, and try to lock up more talent, hire in more staff.. and start approaching game marketing entirely different. The first real splash and launch of this new company strategy was evident with Transformers. Multiple pimped editions, multimedia marketing, etc. Stern starts marketing directly to customers and not just Operators first (yet Gary is still adamant about which market matters first.. Ops)

This is also the time when the market starts being flooded with new types of customers.. and the rise of the direct home buyer starts taking off like crazy. The market is flooded with new buyers looking to buy NIB.

The recession has a lot to do with the buying demand returning... but it was the direct challenge to Stern and the arms race of what JJP was promising and building in his staff and potential that posed the threat to Stern. When the market reacted so positively to the WOZ preorder and early teasing, that's when the new blood at Stern saw the opportunity and rushed to address this "new" (or to Stern.. forgotten) market segment with NEW price points and features.

JJP made the moves Gary refused to do... proved the market viability... set a new standard.. and Stern had to react.

Remember.. Gary preached if another Pinball company was started... only one would survive or both would fail. He was wrong in that, and wrong in what the market actually wanted and would tolerate.

Obviously there are other outside activities in this 2009+ era that opened up the new demand and customer base.. but Stern's change in product direction and staffing was a direct reaction to industry shifts started by JJP... not Gary reading the tea leaves about the economy recovering.

#734 7 years ago
Quoted from srk15:

JJP has made 2200 WOZ plus a few TH in 5 yr Gary can change or not at his own pace

You skipped over the truth where in that period Gary was selling AC/DC, Metallica, ST, premiums, LEs, and more... and not NBA, CSI, and 24 as he was before. That's not by accident.

#737 7 years ago
Quoted from srk15:

well thank you JJP for taking the price of NIB from $3500 to $8000

You need to look around.. it was the people willing and eager to buy 6k+ games that drove the prices up.. not JJP per say. They just proved the market was there.

When people are spending $300 on toppers instead of $300 games like we used too... you can't blame the manufacturers...

#774 7 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

No one can make a statement like that unless they were there, actually saw the offer on paper, and were part of the negotiations. Not in any way sticking up for the guy, but the way words are twisted, exaggerated, stomped on and re-arranged in this industry, you can never be sure of anything other than your own thoughts. I can think of several scenarios where an offer like that would be turned down, and like pinball or not, there are very few people outside of Donald Trump who would pass up that kind of scratch purely because of ego.

That's true about one particular offer.. but you've closing your eyes to rest of the reality like they didn't even try to shop it around, they didn't even give their reboot a valid shot, they broke it up, and the commentary from the other side who did pursue williams and were basically weren't give any legit opportunity.

#775 7 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

You can guess which business model would please the stockholders back then.

Its even simpler than that...

One curve was pointing down... and had lots of overhead
One curve was pointing UP with a bright future and much less overhead...

Pinball was an anchor, gaming was an opportunity.

#787 7 years ago

Reposting from another thread... For those of you who were not in the hobby back in 2005-2011.. and wonder what people are talking about with Gary Stern's approach to things..

Turn back the clock to 2008, when after Stern has been struggling and the economy is really headed south he basically lays off everyone in design sans a handful of people. Here you have Keith Johnson, a player turned game coder and designer hang out some dirty laundry about what happened inside Stern... and then you get 'The King', Steve Ritchie himself chiming in on what was wrong.

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!msg/rec.games.pinball/pt79ouRvHpw/IFsx_cjge1UJ

It should be very eye opening for those who only know the 2011 and later years of being in the hobby.

Probably more shocking for people is realizing just how dead people thought the industry had gotten and no one saw any light at the end of the tunnel.

#799 7 years ago
Quoted from sc204:

Awesome reading. Does make you wonder how Steve and Gary are working together again. Must have had some heavy hatchets to bury.

Yeah it was pretty clear at that time that SR was DONE with Gary... So when they announced his direct hiring in 2011 it was quite a change in direction. Kind of what I am trying to get people to see... Stern did a hard yank on the steering wheel. Doing what was needed to bring SR back meant some serious concessions

#800 7 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Bally and Williams had a ton of hits in the 80's. You could build a huge collection of A titles without a single DMD.
This thread is just a buncha nattering nabobs of negativity.

Not all kills are instant...

#803 7 years ago
Quoted from sanctumwear:

Too bad he didn't go back and read his own post in that thread about NIB pricing when starting up JJP. I paid under $3500 each for NIB FGY, SM, and BDK during 07-08, and now they're selling NIB JJP machines for $8k+.
------------
"Pinball needs to make money for operators so it can regain respect -
and a chance at being bought;
Bottom line is still the cashbox or in this case, the bill acceptor.
The game ideally needs to make twice as much as it now makes and cost
half as much as it costs now........There is no one easy fix
especially in this economy.
With the Euro way down, don't look to sell more of anything into
Europe either.
I don't have all of the answers but these are definitely some of them.
Jack"

To jacks defense here tho... Operators care about earnings far far far more than unit cost. Unit costs are depreciated and recovered in resale. Earnings only come from the players. The coin drop is virtually the only thing that matters... And pin wasn't earning it's keep verse games that earned more AND has less upkeep.

It's why every pitch to ops is about earnings, not margins.

#807 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Sometimes a fatal shot takes awhile to drop an animal. Hit a deer and it runs a mile off before it finally falls.
Flynnibus was saying the future is unknown and the termination of the B/W division was a shot that is still affecting the vulnerable hobby we all enjoy.

Or more in context... just because WMS and Bally still had successful titles in the 80s.. that doesn't mean the fatal shot had not already been fired. Pinball was no longer the king of the arcade and no longer were its burdens so easily overlooked. The industry had pivoted away from pinball as they had viable alternatives now that would earn more and were less hassle.

#875 7 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I guess it's not a big deal, but a lot of people think Stern has communication issues and this doesn't help with that image. Moreover, on a personal level, I know they are behind on orders and rushing and it makes me wonder how many corners they are cutting if they can't even proofread an email.

Talk about trying to start shit about nothing...

This was a simple email from Stern to it's business partners... not to the general public, not a published document, not to customers, etc. It's a 5 minute email written to give Stern's distributors an update.. not the new latest book published.

It's this kind of petty, pointless nitpicking that keeps companies from wanting to interact with the public directly. If you are going to grab your pitchforks over some stupid typos in an internal email, insisting that they are cutting corners because they didn't have proofers.. well you're just setting yourself up for failure.

Focus on what matters, not minutia of ZERO consequence.

#877 7 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

The flip side of that.....if you're the distro....your missing out on LE sales....I would be pissed if I didnt get in on the action

customer registration with channel accounts.. issue done. Stern could credit the channel for the margin they'd normally get on a sale.

Now, what it does negate is the ability for the channel to get additional markups.

#881 7 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

But about the stupid typos on their games?what would you suggest rather than a pitchfork

I like cake...

And that has about as much to do with my last post as your reply did :p

Typos in an internal email have nothing to do with their playfield issue.

#907 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

The absolute best thing you can say about the Stern backlog is that it's quieted down all the "When's the next Stern machine being announced?" stuff on Pinside. Who cares when the next title is announced when they can't even fill orders for the machines that are out?

Tell that to the VE threads

1 month later
#1031 7 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

But Stern will have to build it. I doubt they have a few dozen of them already available. In Gary's planning there is no slot mentioned to build these games.

Because the email is about availability for the products the distributors are selling... Not a stern corporate plan they (dust) aren't selling can crusher so it's not relevant to share that info with them

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 8.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 103.00
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lewiston, NY
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 16.00
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-delays?tu=flynnibus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.