1972_Bally_Deluxe_Progressive_(resized).jpg
20160528_164734-1_(resized).jpg
Backglass_(resized).jpg
cvbackglass_(resized).png
slotroom1_(resized).jpg
BB2-panoramica_(resized).jpg
235033_(resized).jpg
235031_(resized).jpg
There are 1,089 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 22.
#201 7 years ago

Yes Stern has a lot of 'new' themes (WD, GoT, superheros etc). But these are all very safe and corporate. I was talking to some of my customers and going over new games with them. Got a lot of mehs at the theme. They didn't dislike it but were not excited about it. The GB approach is better at least artwork wise, it is just an old theme.

When we have had some older games around I get a lot of feedback on how awesome they look but they like the play in newer games better and play them more. Combining the two is where it is at. I hope Pat Lawlor's game is a cool theme.....

#202 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

This discussion makes me think, was there any current license in the 90s that was successful? The only one off the top of my head is Addams Family. That movie was pretty successful. Maybe Stargate.

I think Twister was a great movie. But 20 years later most everybody wants Medieval Madness and Attack from Mars. Games that became legendary in their own right.

20 years from now there won't be such a game from current times and all these licensed themes you can throw in the same pile as Twister.

#203 7 years ago

Sick of waiting for your GB Pro? Gary is like a Honeybadger, he just don't give a &*%&!!!! Oh, and he's still thinking they could probably get away with another $200 price increase on the next pin since everyone is so eager.

#204 7 years ago

Time to lean....time to clean! Factory is no doubt spotless!

#205 7 years ago

I grew up with a Target Alpha, Swingers, Hot Hand, and Time Zone in the house. It wasn't the licenses that kept me going to the basement to play...

#206 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

This discussion makes me think, was there any current license in the 90s that was successful? The only one off the top of my head is Addams Family. That movie was pretty successful. Maybe Stargate.

Star Wars Episode I was hugely commercially successful. The most successful Star Wars movie ever until Episode VII based on tickets sales.

#207 7 years ago
Quoted from kell:

I grew up with a Target Alpha, Swingers, Hot Hand, and Time Zone in the house. It wasn't the licenses that kept me going to the basement to play...

It wasn't the licenses that kept me dropping quarters in them at the arcades either.

They didn't even have licenses until Wizard came out. Funny, I could almost see the writing on the walls when that one showed up.

#208 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Star Wars Episode I was hugely commercially successful. The most successful Star Wars movie ever until Episode VII based on tickets sales.

Yeah....just imagine if the movie was actually any good.

#209 7 years ago

Sounds like a first world problem to me, being able to afford NIB but having to wait for it. I'd be irritated too, that's why I don't buy NIB or prepay for anything. Had a vendor say "give me the cash" and come get your product later. Yeah buddy, let me jump right on that.

#210 7 years ago

With all the delays, surely Stern must be working on securing the next great licensed theme!

The-Color-of-Money--1986--80s-films-298553_507_755_(resized).jpgThe-Color-of-Money--1986--80s-films-298553_507_755_(resized).jpg

#211 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Avengers- 1963
X-Men- 1963
Iron Man-1963
Star Trek- 1966
Night of the Living Dead-1968
POTC- 1967
Etc, etc, etc... I'm not sold...

Sterns licencing of "remade" themes is not so much a comment on Sterns licencing choices as it is with the entertainment industry in general. Big media is becoming more and more risk averse and relying on previously proven themes. Disney and Marvel, Star Wars, Ghostbusters etc etc. No wants to take the risk.

#212 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

No wants to take the risk.

Well that it explains it then. You don't want to try to feed sheep steak if they will be happy consuming ordinary grass.

#213 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Well that it explains it then. You don't want to try to feed sheep steak if they will be happy consuming ordinary grass.

Pretty sure sheep are herbivores

#214 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Pretty sure sheep are herbivores

It's a theme they can live with.

#215 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Avengers- 1963
X-Men- 1963
Iron Man-1963
Star Trek- 1966
Night of the Living Dead-1968
POTC- 1967
Etc, etc, etc... I'm not sold...

That's like denying the NFL is relevant to many people today because football existed 100 years ago.

#216 7 years ago

Oh God - I sure hope this doesn't impact the TRON re run that Todd was talking about. Or set back the TRON VE people have been talking about for the last 3 years.

#217 7 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

That's like denying the NFL is relevant to many people today because football existed 100 years ago.

I see you own Hardbody, so you get a pass!

#218 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I think Twister was a great movie. But 20 years later most everybody wants Medieval Madness and Attack from Mars. Games that became legendary in their own right.
20 years from now there won't be such a game from current times and all these licensed themes you can throw in the same pile as Twister.

True. But isn't that what Stern would want? Wouldn't want to become victim of your own success. If the 2nd hand market is affecting your sales you are making the wrong pins.

#219 7 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

All those EMs he loved were based on baseball, rock, ice skating, and cards. EMs had "original" themes, but overly recycled themes.

#220 7 years ago

Tron....Now thats a good game! GB, meh

#221 7 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Oh God - I sure hope this doesn't impact the TRON re run that Todd was talking about. Or set back the TRON VE people have been talking about for the last 3 years.

Word is Tron VE has been pushed back to 2017 now.

Quoted from cooked71:

Sterns licencing of "remade" themes is not so much a comment on Sterns licencing choices as it is with the entertainment industry in general. Big media is becoming more and more risk averse and relying on previously proven themes. Disney and Marvel, Star Wars, Ghostbusters etc etc. No wants to take the risk.

This is certainly true. But when you compare the box office of movies like Gods of Egypt or Jupiter Ascending to the likes of Star Wars and Avengers it is clear the public right now wants to become more engrossed in the universes they are familiar with than invest time and money into new stuff.

The days of brand new IP like the Matrix taken over pop culture are gone for now it seems.

#222 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

All those EMs he loved were based on baseball, rock, ice skating, and cards.

But mostly hot women! That's what's missing today...

#223 7 years ago

Jared, why have machines been delayed?

(Doesn't hurt to ask and I'm pretty sure you're reading this thread)

#224 7 years ago

Tron VE? Wow... Wonder what the starting price will be on that considering the used market value the game seems to command. Maybe it's been answered before, but I'm also curious as to what the chances are of another rehash of LOTR?

#225 7 years ago

This whole VE term is misleading because the latest SM VE was more of a remake opposed to IM VE which was more like the original with minor upgrades. Which will we get in future VE titles?

#226 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Stay tuned....

#227 7 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

This whole VE term is misleading because the latest SM VE was more of a remake opposed to IM VE which was more like the original with minor upgrades. Which will we get in future VE titles?

Good question. No idea but one would have to think Tron VE will have the same artwork. The Tron IP really only centers around the movies and the game nailed the movie perfectly.

#228 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Stay tuned....

Hahahaha! I'm pretty sure an irc script could emulate Stern's social media posts. Sometimes I wonder why they have anyone manning the controls at all. It's not like we ever get any useful information out of it.

#229 7 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Sometimes I wonder why they have anyone manning the controls at all. It's not like we ever get any useful information out of it.

Not true, we learned that Gary is alive and well via the sign pic yesterday.

#230 7 years ago

Fortunately STERN can afford some forms of delays from what I can tell.
Demand seems consistent and patience is a virtue hahaha!

#231 7 years ago

In all candor, Stern's management of social media is vastly better than it was just a couple years ago.

Is it everything we want it to be? Nope. Could it improve? Certainly. Should they unban a bunch of people who got banned for asking about code for their games? Yes. But on the whole they do a good job of promoting their brand on Facebook now compared to years past.

#232 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbuster-issue-thread/page/9#post-3155271

^^^ If i had to guess

#233 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

All those EMs he loved were based on baseball, rock, ice skating, and cards. EMs had "original" themes, but overly recycled themes.

That's true but it did take a little creativity to make robot billiards, alien poker or space surfing.

#234 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Word is Tron VE has been pushed back to 2017 now.

This is certainly true. But when you compare the box office of movies like Gods of Egypt or Jultior Assending to the likes of Star Wars and Avengers it is clear the public right now wants to become more engrossed in the universes they are familiar with than invest time and money into new stuff.
The days of brand new IP like the Matrix taken over pop culture are gone for now it seems.

Gods of Egypt & Jupiter Ascending didn't flop because they were original - they flopped because they were horrible! I watched Jupiter on HBO the other night and it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life! My girlfriend's review: "It's like Liberace fucked Stargate"

#235 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Liberace fucked Stargate"

I know you can't hear it, but I'm quoting this for posterity. You have a good point.

#236 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

I 100% agree with you on old/stale licenses. And it will die if it doesn't bring in new blood. Too many licenses are targeted at the 40+ crowd. I have a few games in a pub and most of the people on them are in there 20s. It would be nice to see some themes that would appeal to that age group more. Granted location may be a smaller market than for home buyers but without location play pinball will die as there will not be another generation looking to buy the games they played when they were young.
Vid suggested a suicidegirls theme a while ago. On my location this game would pay for itself in weeks.

Suicide girls are as relevant in 2016 as Ghostbusters.

#237 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

In all candor, Stern's management of social media is vastly better than it was just a couple years ago.
Is it everything we want it to be? Nope. Could it improve? Certainly. Should they unban a bunch of people who got banned for asking about code for their games? Yes. But on the whole they do a good job of promoting their brand on Facebook now compared to years past.

They banned people for asking about code?

#238 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

You're right. They were at a zero, then dialed it to 11, then dialed it back to maybe a 6 right now.

Seems like the interaction was a little TOO close for their comfort.

The deletion of comments happens on all corporate pages, but we hear about it more due to pinside.

#239 7 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

They banned people for asking about code?

soup-nazi_(resized).jpgsoup-nazi_(resized).jpg

#240 7 years ago

I'm still trying to adjust to Stern's "we don't care" approach to communication and social media. It seems really odd for a company that effectively makes luxury products. It's not like they're taco bell and pissing off a few customers isn't going to hurt the bottom line. They are in a much smaller market of much more expensive products. They may have more demand than they can handle now, but God help them if the pinball bubble bursts or if they ever get any real competition.

#241 7 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Suicide girls are as relevant in 2016 as Ghostbusters.

Never heard of them...

#242 7 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Never heard of them...

That's what they're calling the new ghostbusters: Suicide Girls.

Why? Because the trailer made me want to kill myself.

#243 7 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

That's what they're calling the new ghostbusters: Suicide Girls.
Why? Because the trailer made me want to kill myself.

New trailer looks MUCH better. Still does not look like I want to see it.

#244 7 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I'm still trying to adjust to Stern's "we don't care" approach to communication and social media. It seems really odd for a company that effectively makes luxury products. It's not like they're taco bell and pissing off a few customers isn't going to hurt the bottom line. They are in a much smaller market of much more expensive products. They may have more demand than they can handle now, but God help them if the pinball bubble bursts or if they ever get any real competition.

JJP is saying 2 games a year this year, I will believe it when I see it but that could really help with competition.

#245 7 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

JJP is saying 2 games a year this year, I will believe it when I see it but that could really help with competition.

Huh? They aren't even doing one game a year. Haha

#246 7 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

I'd love to see JJP make a game with a more appealing theme. WOZ isn't for everyone and the Hobbit movies were too disappointing to want to drop $8000 on a pinball machine with that theme.

#247 7 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

That would be great for pinball. If they brought in enough capital with the investment it is absolutely possible for them to do it. Power by the hour as is often said.

#248 7 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Hobbit serial no. #0001 and Hobbit serial no. #0002.

#249 7 years ago

Hate on JJP all you want, but I ordered a Hobbit LE yesterday and can't wait to get it. It will look nice next to my GB LE. Played one a couple of weeks ago, with a very pessimistic mindset before seeing the machine in person. Why? I have never seen a Hobbit movie, JJP is the new guy on the block, and I have been looking forward to GB so much.

When I played it, my wife and I were pleasantly surprised just how well done the machine was. The shots, the sound and music, the LCD screen, etc just felt like a huge leap above our Stern machines as far as what you get for the same cost. After 3 games my mindset changed, and here we are a couple weeks later and I have been craving playing it again.. so I decided to just buy one.

Although I am excited for my GB LE to finally arrive, I have to admit I am equally as excited to get my Hobbit. I have no damn clue what a Hobbit is, what a Smaug does, and I don't care.. the game was cool as fuck.

I can't imagine what it would be like to run a startup pinball company, especially seeing how Stern is ran after 30 years of being in business- so major props to JJP contributing to this hobby with some bad-ass quality built pins, and I wish them nothing but success. I loved my WOZ and miss it, but ultimately the theme just never clicked.. but the machine was 10X the build quality of my Stern's and customer service was great. Why even stoop to poking fun at the company? I don't get it.

#250 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Why even stoop to poking fun at the company? I don't get it.

I don't think anyone here is making fun of JJP, except for their slow development and manufacturing time, but that's normal around here. I haven't been able to see a JJP pin in person yet. I'm hoping a public hobbit comes to the los angeles area. There's a WOZ not too far, but I haven't been able to make it to play it yet. Still... neither theme seems that exciting to me, but I know that some games turn out better than their source material.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

15,699 (OBO)
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsford, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.50
$ 8.95
Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,089 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-delays/page/5?hl=swampy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.