1972_Bally_Deluxe_Progressive_(resized).jpg
20160528_164734-1_(resized).jpg
Backglass_(resized).jpg
cvbackglass_(resized).png
slotroom1_(resized).jpg
BB2-panoramica_(resized).jpg
235033_(resized).jpg
235031_(resized).jpg
There are 1,089 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 22.
#851 7 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

Multi billion dollar companies have recalls all the time shit happens

I have no idea what you're talking about.

#852 7 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

have a great distributor..... and when Stern tells him they are close to shipping, he needs the money for it. Not his fault Stern pushed it 3+ months because they over sold it.

I get how it can happen, but to play devil's advocate, should it? A distributor buys the machine from Stern, then sells it to you. Taking your money before they actually have it (sitting on Stern's shipping dock or in their store), they are still using your money to buy the machine. Now I don't know how things work between a distributor and Stern, maybe Stern requires payment in full from the distrib before the machine is ready, dunno. All I know that is personally I won't pay in full for a machine until I am told it is there and ready to ship out the next day. If something changes, I expect the money back.

Quoted from seenev:

I mean the variation in spelling/naming for the same games in different sections. Clearly no one proofread it and it just looks sloppy. Not the kind of thing you expect to see in communication from a multimillion dollar company.

Gotcha. Its an informal email from Gary to the distributor letting them know of status though, not something drafted for a public marketing campaign. I don't think some minor typos are that big of a deal personally.

#853 7 years ago

I think he is talking about the spelling on the letter rather than the spelling on the playfield.

#854 7 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Gotcha. Its an informal email from Gary to the distributor letting them know of status though, not something drafted for a public marketing campaign. I don't think some minor typos are that big of a deal personally.

I guess it's not a big deal, but a lot of people think Stern has communication issues and this doesn't help with that image. Moreover, on a personal level, I know they are behind on orders and rushing and it makes me wonder how many corners they are cutting if they can't even proofread an email.

#855 7 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I guess it's not a big deal, but a lot of people think Stern has communication issues and this doesn't help with that image. Moreover, on a personal level, I know they are behind on orders and rushing and it makes me wonder how many corners they are cutting if they can't even proofread an email.

You're a real glass is half empty kind of guy aren't you?

#856 7 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

You're a real glass is half empty kind of guy aren't you?

Well this is my first time trying to buy a pin and I've been reading about all of the problems here on pinside for the last several months. I'm not exactly brimming with confidence at this point.

#857 7 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Well this is my first time trying to buy a pin and I've been reading about all of the problems here on pinside for the last several months. I'm not exactly brimming with confidence at this point.

Keep watching Facebook. They will release a poorly shot video sometime soon, which will hypnotize you into the Zombie herd, and you will feel much better about the game and be happy to throw money at them. It will be all better soon.....very soon......lol

#858 7 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

This happens every game.

There are issues.....Pinsiders blow them up into a Federal case.

People go on buying, life goes on.....next game comes out.

Cycle repeats.

#859 7 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Pinside is a microcosm of all machines sold, and in general people only tend to post when they have something to bitch about. That being said, buying NIB, especially for a first run, you may have to deal with something. AC/DC had cannon motors, Metallica had magnet boards, X-men LE had aux boards, etc. etc. And you are also dealing with early code.

Me, if I was worried about it, I just wouldn't buy right now. It is a big purchase and supposed to be fun. For me, I don't mind if there are some issues, I will either address or wait for them to be addressed. They will be making GB (assuming you are talking about buying GB) for years. Later runs will have early kinks worked out, or you could find a nice HUO one that you can go and see and play, and code will be further along.

#860 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffsgames:

I'm really upset that I paid in full last month before the backorders, and now likely won't see until August. Really? This is my first Stern NIB experience. Is this normal?

That is why Stern always says: DO NOT PREORDER GAMES

If your distributor goes out of business between now and the Fall, you will loose all the money. Nobody, not even Stern, will be able to get it back for you.

Stern does not get paid ahead of time, so they can't just "look up your game" if the distributor goes under. In fact, Stern uses hot selling games to make sure the distributor's accounts are current.

"Hmmm, you need additional LEs? Let's make sure that your account is paid up......"

#861 7 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I wouldn't sweat it. I have a SMVE and a GB premium on order and was hoping to have the SMVE this month - but it isn't going to happen. Outside of what I have read here, I don't know what their production issues are. However I have learned not being the first in line can save you the grief of unanticipated design flaws. I also don't want to be on the receiving end of any supplier quality issues (should that be one of the causes for delay ).

I liken it to missing a flight because of faulty equipment. Am I ticked? Sure! But better to be upset on the ground than at 30000 feet.

#862 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If your distributor goes out of business between now and the Fall, you will loose all the money. Nobody, not even Stern, will be able to get it back for you.

This is why Stern should handle LE sales directly and distributors should handle pros and premiums. It's the LEs that cause the preorder scramble.

#863 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

But, but I have to be the first on the block with the latest and greatest

#864 7 years ago

Is it truly a delay if you don't know when you are going to get your pin when you order it?

#865 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

This is why Stern should handle LE sales directly and distributors should handle pros and premiums. It's the LEs that cause the preorder scramble.

The flip side of that.....if you're the distro....your missing out on LE sales....I would be pissed if I didnt get in on the action

#866 7 years ago

've been waiting for a Liberace LE that I paid for two years ago. Distributor keeps telling me the delay is due to the market price of rhinestones, velour, and silk. I want to believe him. Yet I feel I've been taken!

#867 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Stern is NOT set up for all the headaches of retail sales.

They can barely send out a memo to their 50 distributors.

#868 7 years ago

Well, I was given an estimated rough shipping timeline when I ordered. I would call it a delay if it goes past that. I have a deposit in. How are distros with deposits? Any trouble getting them back when canceling after delays?

#869 7 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Well, I was given an estimated rough shipping timeline when I ordered. I would call it a delay if it goes past that. I have a deposit in. How are distros with deposits? Any trouble getting them back when canceling after delays?

Use a credit card for a $100 deposit.

If the distributor goes under, you have 180 days to file a dispute with Mastercard.

#870 7 years ago

So how often do Distributors go under? Is this a rampant problem? The one I picked was recommended by almost everyone I talked to, and widely recommended on here. Been a distro longer than I even know. Is this such a big problem that Stern has to warn buyers to not preorder? I don't get it.

#871 7 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

I think he is talking about the spelling on the letter rather than the spelling on the playfield.

Both suck

#872 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffsgames:

So how often do Distributors go under? Is this a rampant problem? The one I picked was recommended by almost everyone I talked to, and widely recommended on here. Been a distro longer than I even know. Is this such a big problem that Stern has to warn buyers to not preorder? I don't get it.

You'll be fine if you went with one of the larger distro's. It's rare that what Vid was saying would happen, but it can.

#873 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffsgames:

So how often do Distributors go under? Is this a rampant problem?

No, it's not a rampant problem.

But it did happen a few years ago, millions of dollars was lost and 79 people did not get their WOZ.

So, don't put your neck out there.

Put $100 down. If you lose it, you won't sweat it.

#874 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffsgames:

I think Stern tells people not to preorder because not only what Vid said but that there are things that can cause delays that are out of Sterns control.

#875 7 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Talk about trying to start shit about nothing...

This was a simple email from Stern to it's business partners... not to the general public, not a published document, not to customers, etc. It's a 5 minute email written to give Stern's distributors an update.. not the new latest book published.

It's this kind of petty, pointless nitpicking that keeps companies from wanting to interact with the public directly. If you are going to grab your pitchforks over some stupid typos in an internal email, insisting that they are cutting corners because they didn't have proofers.. well you're just setting yourself up for failure.

Focus on what matters, not minutia of ZERO consequence.

#876 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Put $100 down. If you lose it, you won't sweat it.

And if they ask for more than that tell then to F.O. and call someone else.

#877 7 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

The flip side of that.....if you're the distro....your missing out on LE sales....I would be pissed if I didnt get in on the action

customer registration with channel accounts.. issue done. Stern could credit the channel for the margin they'd normally get on a sale.

Now, what it does negate is the ability for the channel to get additional markups.

#878 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

grab your pitchforks over some stupid typos in an internal email

But about the stupid typos on their games?what would you suggest rather than a pitchfork

#879 7 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

But about the stupid typos on their games?what would you suggest rather than a pitchfork

Whom's got the real LE model now!

#880 7 years ago

I wonder how many people will notice the typo as they're playing the game.

#881 7 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

I like cake...

And that has about as much to do with my last post as your reply did :p

Typos in an internal email have nothing to do with their playfield issue.

#882 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I wonder how many people will notice the typo as they're playing the game.

I always forget to even look if it's wrong.

#883 7 years ago

Just got a call from the distributor, and they just got word from Stern. LE's in production mid-June and ship immediately. So figure 3 weeks.

#884 7 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Just got a call from the distributor, and they just got word from Stern. LE's in production mid-June and ship immediately. So figure 3 weeks.

Ditto, just got my call 5 minutes ago as well.

#885 7 years ago

Not sure why LEs wouldn't be on line now already had video of over seas online and one is already in Germany I think we're going to see LE'S sooner the 3 weeks

#886 7 years ago

So the le are not on the line as some have thought

#887 7 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

Not sure why LEs wouldn't be on line now already had video of over seas online and one is already in Germany I think we're going to see LE'S sooner the 3 weeks

Hopefully, but I am going to doubt it. Stern knows the demand, and if you look at the post in one of the threads where they gave the export schedule, they line up pretty well. Distro said they just got the word today, so I am betting the word is good....if anything, they might be late if they hit any snags. And hey, I am good with the wait, now that we have some information.

#888 7 years ago

Has anyone ever cancelled an order with games exchange before? I sent an email earlier today and got an immediate response, but when I asked to cancel my order he stopped responding. My previous communications have all had quick, if brief replies. I sent a follow up email a while later and still received no response.

I've seen them recommended here before but has anyone cancelled and order with them? Is this normal?

#889 7 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Has anyone ever cancelled an order with games exchange before? I sent an email earlier today and got an immediate response, but when I asked to cancel my order he stopped responding. My previous communications have all had quick, if brief replies. I sent a follow up email a while later and still received no response.
I've seen them recommended here before but has anyone cancelled and order with them? Is this normal?

Just curious did you pay in full or deposit, also I wouldn't worry with game exchange maybe support left early on friday.

#890 7 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

Just curious did you pay in full or deposit, also I wouldn't worry with game exchange maybe support left early on friday.

Deposit.

#891 7 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I know that JJ was traveling today and is out of town until Wednesday. You may hear back while he's on the road, but he's out of the office right now.

#892 7 years ago

My distributor asked for the full $8,000 for me LE last month and then I bank wired it , now he is claiming saying he never got it yet I did wire it ! Whah can I do ?!?! I even showed him my bank statement I am fureous

#893 7 years ago
Quoted from JEFFPINS12:

My distributor asked for the full $8,000 for me LE last month and then I bank wired it , now he is claiming saying he never got it yet I did wire it ! Whah can I do ?!?! I even showed him my bank statement I am fureous

Probably should have posted this earlier pretty sure your passed the statue of limitations Seriously if that's not a joke you need legal action

#894 7 years ago
Quoted from JEFFPINS12:

I'm sure your bank can produce a document that proves it went from your account to his. Otherwise someone could blame the bank for sending their funds out into the phantom zone... good luck with it.

#895 7 years ago
Quoted from JEFFPINS12:

There's going to be records at both banks. I wouldn't worry too much.

#896 7 years ago

I had to cancel an order through Game Exchange a few weeks ago. They were responsive, friendly, and understanding. Even though the sale didn't happen, I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

#897 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Stern does not get paid ahead of time, so they can't just "look up your game" if the distributor goes under. In fact, Stern uses hot selling games to make sure the distributor's accounts are current.
"Hmmm, you need additional LEs? Let's make sure that your account is paid up......"

I wish more people would heed this continual advice.
I am not saying operators should squat in a corner waiting for complete earning reports, or collectors should expect a second run of a title, but there is a lot of potential for market change over the course of single year alone.
I also still do not understand preordering games before you actually get a chance to play a machine title.
I never bought a game in my life that I did not test play first, somehow and somewhere, even rare titles.
"Instant gratification" for something that you might not received for 6 months up to 3 years, does not seem to clarify the definition of the meaning.
I know I am a different generation, however.

#898 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffsgames:

I'm really upset that I paid in full last month before the backorders, and now likely won't see until August. Really? This is my first Stern NIB experience. Is this normal?

When your shipping date is delayed by more than 30 days the FTC requires you be given an opportunity to cancel your order. https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/business-guide-ftcs-mail-internet-or-telephone-order

So you're somewhat protected from your distributor holding your money because the game is delayed.

#899 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

I wish more people would heed this continual advice.
I am not saying operators should squat in a corner waiting for complete earning reports, or collectors should expect a second run of a title, but there is a lot of potential for market change over the course of single year alone.
I also still do not understand preordering games before you actually get a chance to play a machine title.
I never bought a game in my life that I did not test play first, somehow and somewhere, even rare titles.
"Instant gratification" for something that you might not received for 6 months up to 3 years, does not seem to clarify the definition of the meaning.
I know I am a different generation, however.

I'm 31 years old, and I agree with you 100%.

#900 7 years ago

I preordered a Premium Ghostbusters day 1. If for some reason my distributor goes bankrupt I am on a whopping $100. I will have a chance to play a LE before I am 100% Committed to the premium and if I dont like the game I can easily swap it to another or get my deposit back. By ordering early I "should" get my game faster so I don't have to wait months and months to play my new game. Plus if you get a game relatively early and decide its not for you, its pretty easy to sell since there is pent up demand. If you wait months and months the next new thing is on everyones mind and prices tend to dip.

I would NEVER pay in full this early for a Stern though, I had 1k tied up in MMR for 2 years and that was torture enough.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,089 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-delays/page/18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.