• 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by BenB
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ADE8DA4C-44C1-413D-8D38-13D2B6752353 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BenB.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I am working on a Dale jr game for a friend. The game plays fine, but is having some weird sound issues and distortion. The background music and most sounds fx seem ok but all the engine and squealing fx sounds like static and are distorted. The voice call outs seem to sound normal.
- U7 sound rom has been changed with a new chip from Marco. I pulled the rest of the sound roms and tried reseating.

-Is there a way to go through and test each sound sample in the sound test? I seem to only get one sound per rom in test.

Curious if there is a good way to test each sound rom or if the problem is with the DAC TDS1543at U26.

#2 2 years ago

Ordered some sockets and a couple TDA1543 DAC chips to try.
Any body have incite on knowing what sounds are on each sound rom? Some sounds seem better than others as far as static and the severity of distortion.

1 week later
#3 2 years ago

Update****
Installed socket and new TDA1543 in U26 and that did not take care of my issue. It is doing the same thing. Ordered a new set of sound Roms to try next.

#4 2 years ago

Added a video to show speaker/sound test.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

I would say that sound rom 4 has failed.
TDA1543 didn’t make sense as it processed all sounds. All would be honked up.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

Awesome Chris thanks for chiming in! I will report back later this week when the Roms arrive. I will try swapping rom 4 first and see what happens.

1 week later
#7 2 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

I would say that sound rom 4 has failed.
TDA1543 didn’t make sense as it processed all sounds. All would be honked up.

Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

ChrisHibler
-I ordered a set of sound Roms and replaced Rom 4. After sound test and game play there was no change.

-I then replaced the remaining 3 sound Roms, tested, and again with no change. (Still sounds like loud static and distorted rather than the squeezing of tires and drive bys when going “around the Track”.)

-Any other advice? None of the sounds really sound right comparing to nascar/Dale JR gameplay videos on YouTube. According to pin wiki lots of the problems talk about faulty DAC chip at U26. I had ordered two TDA1543 from eBay I’ve read other forums were they received bad chips?

#8 2 years ago

Bump… anybody?

#10 2 years ago

I’ve got the double green dots on U8 and get 8 flashes on start up at LED1 so should be up to date. This is a HUO game so all original CPU Board(with exception to new socket @ U26 and TDA1543) Also jumpers are all in correct factory positions.

ADE8DA4C-44C1-413D-8D38-13D2B6752353 (resized).jpegADE8DA4C-44C1-413D-8D38-13D2B6752353 (resized).jpeg

#12 2 years ago

Is it worth doing a continuity test on every sound rom socket or do they not typically fail?

#14 2 years ago

I was able to dig a little on the game tonight. After visually inspecting all the sound rom sockets and reseating chips I had no change. I then decided to to apply a small amount of pressure to U7 sound rom during game play and sound instantly cleared up. The sounds stay clear and static/distortion disappear. I ordered some sockets from GPE and will swap U7 and report back.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Thank you for closing the loop BenB. I'll file this one away in my "oddball issues" memory!
--
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

And thank you for taking the time to help me out Chris. I enjoy watching your videos on YouTube.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Phoenixville, PA
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BenB.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-dale-jr-sound-issues?tu=BenB and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.