Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Not that I blame them but Stern did something great and then cut cost again.
The Metal Leg protectors on ACDC and Avengers are now plastic on Metallica. You gotta cut cost somewhere but I really thought they were on a quality trend? Oh well

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 10 years ago

If it works I dont see the issue. Cheaper to have them vacuum formed in china than thrown on a break.

#3 10 years ago

Xmen had metal as well

#4 10 years ago

Funny, I ordered a metal set from PBL when my TRON pro was shipping, I assumed it would have nothing, I was actually happy it had the plastic protectors, but I did swap them right away for the metal ones....

#5 10 years ago

You can't see them and they will last the life of the machine probably...not a big deal.

#6 10 years ago

Nobody had anything negative to say about the colored protector systems everyone's bought for years, why is this different?

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadNC:

Not that I blame them but Stern did something great and then cut cost again.
The Metal Leg protectors on ACDC and Avengers are now plastic on Metallica. You gotta cut cost somewhere but I really thought they were on a quality trend? Oh well

Get in touch with them and see. Might not be cost, they might be trying to do a better job protecting the cabinet and art. Metal might not be the answer.

LTG : )
Official Disclaimer.

#8 10 years ago

The only criticism I have seen of these plastic protectors was from the guy selling metal ones and his hype man. I have never seen or heard of any of the plastic ones failing or causing an issue.

I have even seen others suggest the plastic is better because they would be less likely to scratch the insides of the legs when mounted.

#9 10 years ago

Just because plastic is cheaper than metal doesn't mean that this made those protectors crap. As others have said, the contrary is quite probable.

#10 10 years ago

Do the metal cabinet protectors from pinballlife work good. I redacled a no fear and a getaway and i want to prevent wrinkling on them. I have pincab protectors right now, is the metal pinball life ones better, and is it even better to use both? Ideas

Thanks
troy

#11 10 years ago

my acdc premium built may 17 2013 has the plastic as well, seems fine so far.

#12 10 years ago

Like i said, i don't blame them. But if they gave me a choice i would choose Metal over plastic. But sometimes plastic is better. For instance in using leg washers on powdercoat Id prefer Nyon washers to metal ones. Everything has its place. I just liked the metal protectors better.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadNC:

I just liked the metal protectors better.

That is why I suggested to contact them.

There might be a reason. They might appreciate the feedback. They might send you a set.

Official Disclaimer,

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

The only criticism I have seen of these plastic protectors was from the guy selling metal ones and his hype man.

LOL.

The plastic ones work perfectly. Legs don't touch the cab.

The cost cutting is in the 555 sockets everywhere. What a nightmare. And I don't want to glue them.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

That is why I suggested to contact them.
There might be a reason. They might appreciate the feedback. They might send you a set.
Official Disclaimer,

Your right. That a great idea. Also not sure why they went away from ill rails and powdercoat on premiums? Maybe its not cost cutting their either?
In their software section they request feedback and suggestions. I emailed and requested for a Hammer sound in the new code for when the gavel is dropped. Im sure im not the only one who would like that.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadNC:

Your right. That a great idea.

Is that a premium Metallica? Maybe only LE's come with metal, my HULK came with the metal ones.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Is that a premium Metallica? Maybe only LE's come with metal, my HULK came with the metal ones.

Yea but thats an ACDC premium below it.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadNC:

Yea but thats an ACDC premium below it.

That was brought up in another thread, how much nicer the AC/DC premium was trimmed out, you got a plastic apron as well correct?

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

That was brought up in another thread, how much nicer the AC/DC premium was trimmed out, you got a plastic apron as well correct?

Nah the metallica Premium has the metal apron. That's one of the things i was happy about. I think im just gonna buy LE or Pro in the future. Premium is a great option but i like the trim and especially mirror backglasses.

#20 10 years ago

I have the plastic on my ACDC Premium. I prefer them over metal because of the painted legs. The metal scratches them and starts them to rusting. Plastic protects them... I sure hope my STLE comes with plastic and I would buy plastic over metal if PBL started selling both.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Nope, plastic on the METLE as well.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from LP30:

Nope, plastic on the METLE as well.

Interesting, wonder if some LE's got metal and maybe they ran out and just put plastic on? I dunno, either way at least the legs arent rubbing the cab artwork.

Happy pinball in everyone, just nearly completed SOS on TRON

#23 10 years ago

Chad, thought you made a deal for MOPLE?

#24 10 years ago

The plastic is probably more protective than the metal as it is compressible. Metal on metal on wood seems to be a bit redundant

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Chad, thought you made a deal for MOPLE?

Nah for premium.

#26 10 years ago

SOT, the printing on the cabinet looks better than on my IM

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Trade
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-cutting-cost-again and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.