(Topic ID: 225099)

Stern CPU Node board repair

By chillie

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 5 years ago

Hi,
    Is there anyone who can repair Stern CPU node boards (Kiss LE) I believe the answer to be no from some other conversations on the board.

Thanks guys

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from chillie:

Hi,
    Is there anyone who can repair Stern CPU node boards (Kiss LE) I believe the answer to be no from some other conversations on the board.
    Thanks guys

Not the most helpful answer but it's yes you have to be able to do surface mount repairs but I have seen several topics about how people have repaired this node board

#3 5 years ago

I personally don't know of anyone who messes with the spike system stuff.
    Saw one thread on someone attempting a fix.

you sure it's the CPU board, have you talked to chas?
    that would suck, that's like a 500 dollar board.

#4 5 years ago

Thanks Guys, I actually had the board tested at Stern it has no node communication at all. I do not know chas, can you assist with a contact for him. Definitely worth talking to someone else.

Chris

#5 5 years ago

these boards are like $50 to have made
    they should offer a changeover board service on repaired boards for like $200 rather than sell new $500 boards

#6 5 years ago

Which board in particular are you having an issue with right now? Did the problem occur after a code update?

#7 5 years ago

CPU NODE BOARD, I turned the game on and I had a node communication error. Found a damaged cat5e com cable may have caught on speaker as I have a large Flipper fidelity cab speaker.

Went through trouble shooting assuming cabinet or playfield node board failure. Found no communication from CPU to any board. Troubleshooting done with David at stern very helpful. In the end sent the board to Stern to verify suspicion that it was at fault. Board confirmed as not communication with nodes. Board on its way back to me now.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from chillie:

Board on its way back to me now.

Without any repair work done? Not even a software/firmware reload?

#9 5 years ago

Ask Stern if they will send you a schematic so you can repair the board yourself.

#10 5 years ago

Software was reloaded other than that I cant say what was done other than I assume tested in their test fixture or a game or something. I will get board back soon and see what is going on hopefully a report with it.

chris

#11 5 years ago

That would make sense that that did a software reload if something happened during code update on your end. When did you do a code update on the game?

#12 5 years ago

Way back when the last update came out, it ran fine no issues for several parties. did not get turned on for about a month and when I next turned it on for a game the problem showed up. What I don't know is if it failed when someone at the party was playing it and they simply turned it off. Pinballs fail that's fine what I mean is I can not get any other clue like game did ball search and stopped or something.

#13 5 years ago

Got the board back tested and confirmed as failed "no no board communication"

Anyone out there that can work on this board?

#14 5 years ago

Try Chas - [email protected]

1 week later
    #15 5 years ago

Ended up purchasing a new CPU board, installed and perfect, thanks for suggestions

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from chillie:

Ended up purchasing a new CPU board, installed and perfect, thanks for suggestions

So, how much did that cost you?

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

So, how much did that cost you?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #18 5 years ago

I am surprised Stern did not repair this CPU board.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-cpu-node-board-repair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.