By newpinbin

1 year ago

Stats

• 169 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 month ago by newpinbin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

mqdefault (resized).jpg
    1535745_700778156634177_1007177668_n_(resized).jpg

There are 169 posts in topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 1 year ago
    Quoted from GreenMachine19:

The answer seems simple then. Just become a distributor and then share with everyone how much you get the machines for.

What are the steps to become a distributor?

#152 1 year ago
    Quoted from newpinbin:

Step 1: don't piss off the manufacturer

#153 1 year ago
    Quoted from newpinbin:

1 - Open up a business.

2 - Contact Stern.

#154 1 year ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

1 - Open up a business.
    2 - Contact Stern.

I'm glad you like my post so much. Stern does not answer the phone or return emails.

#155 1 year ago
    Quoted from newpinbin:

I'm glad you like my post so much. Stern does not answer the phone or return emails.

They must have Caller ID and see it's you.

#156 1 year ago
    Quoted from newpinbin:

Call your distributor

#157 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

They must have Caller ID and see it's you.

They must with all the times I have called .

#158 1 year ago

Guys you have made this an awesome tread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#160 1 year ago

Production cost is what you are asking about... but all all we really know after 4 pages of banter is this: retail price > wholesale price > production cost > manufacturing cost, so even if you had all of the retail/wholesale/manufacturing numbers, it still won't get you close to the total production costs per game.

If you just want the best deal possible on a game, you can become a distributor, but be clear that will involve working a lot of hours to save a few hundred dollars, making your games even more expensive if you're not going to go all in on the business.

#161 1 year ago

One critical area that has not been considered is the understanding of licensing costs/programming fees for known trademarked properties.
    This makes a difference in all profit margins from the manufacturing process to the distributors in terms of economic profit.
    It has been this way for any product, pinball or likewise.
    If it is not a licensed theme, the profit margin is immediately higher.
    How much higher is determined by the individual property ownership deal.
    Roger Sharpe is an absolute expert in this area for the past 40+ years.

Beyond this, individual game distributors do make varying amounts of profit dependent on their personal relationship with Stern.
    Volume "platinum" sellers get better reductions in machine costs for sale, but we are not talking big $$$ here, only in the hundreds, not thousands of dollars. Not all distributors are created equal. The concept of "wholesale price" as applied to pinball machines is not really conducive to the way today's coin operated pinball market operates as Stern is not warehousing machines for stockpile.

Other factors include material costs variance on economics of industries such as Churchill Cabinet Co, which effect overall profit margins as well. These can change monthly.
    I could list all sorts of aspects which "double down" in to the areas of time, money, and quality in manufacturing of pinball machines.

This is much too complex to sum up in just a few percentages of value, because the sources would not be understand and people would still be left asking the basic question "why"?

PinSide speculation, one of life's great mysteries.

#162 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

Fine with me if Stern loses some profits, i would like to have a new game at a fair price.

The games weren't as good when times are tight. Remember Avatar, Batman, 24 and CSI. I'm okay with profit and Metallica, ACDC, Walking Dead, and Ghostbusters.

#163 1 year ago

Amazing how so many people here do not understand basic economics of a manufacturing business. I was about to drain this thread, but the more I read it the more I can now understand some of the things that are said here that never made any sense to me before. The reason they made no sense is because they literally made no sense.

Here is my suggestion if you want to buy a new pin at a price that brings the least profit to Stern: buy the worst selling game you can get (think WWF and not ACDC). That way Stern will not have sold enough units to have paid off the high cost of design and development of the hardware and software along with the factory tooling needed. That $5000 WWF Pro will net Stern a ton less profit than a $5000 Metallica Pro.

#164 1 year ago

just buy my congo and stop f_cking around with all this theory and conjecture BS..

1 year later
    #165 52 days ago

The distributor gets the machine for 4100 from stern.

#166 52 days ago
    Quoted from newpinbin:

The distributor gets the machine for 4100 from stern.

Which machine? $4100 means nothing if there's no MSRP to compare it to. I've always heard distributors get machines for between $500-$700 less than MSRP.

#167 52 days ago

Any stern pro.

#168 52 days ago

Who gives a shit what it costs Stern or any other company to make a game?

#169 52 days ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Who gives a shit what it costs Stern or any other company to make a game?

David Horowitz?

mqdefault (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
    #170 31 days ago

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 62.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.50
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7.00
    Various Other Swag
    Double Danger Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    £ 29.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 989.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 71.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.00
    Various Other Swag
    Double Danger Pinball
    $ 209.99
    $ 89.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    There are 169 posts in topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside