• Latest reply 12 months ago by soren
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

Had a stuck ball on a Bond some time ago. After some ball searches the game gives up and supplies a compensation ball. Nothing new. This is a fine feature that has been on games since the 90's. But this time around, the game went to end-of-ball while at it. So the served ball is the next ball-in-play. And I got pretty f****** angry.

I have not seen this compensation ball behaviour before. And thought it was a fluke that had gotten into the Bond code somehow. But today I had the same on Foo Fighters. Stuck ball - a handful of ball searches - end-of-ball - next ball served up.

And to make matters worse. If you knock the stuck ball loose, the game will go to end-of-ball when you drain down to one ball-in-play. It has to. Per the compensation rule. But then you feel ripped of again.

So, two games - aha, makes me conclude this is Stern framework implementation, deliberate design and here to stay. This is bunkers! Wrong-wrong-wrong. And I will highly encourage Stern to change this. A compensation ball is a compensation(!!!), dude. Not a rip-off. I foresee complaints on location. At best players discouraged to play these games. Fix it!

Like I said. I do not remember seeing compensation ball = end-of-ball before. Does anyone know what Stern games does this?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2 1 year ago

When you mention it to Stern ask how adjustment 80 Lost Ball Recovery is intended to be implemented.
https://sternpinball.com/support/contact-us/
They also have a specific email for bug reports.

#3 1 year ago

Go to menu Set Lost ball recovery = no

#4 1 year ago

Dude. This is game on location. In a home setting - never relevant. In a public coin play, yes, compensation ball makes sense. But it fries by brain why anyone would even consider having this costing the current ball-in-play. Stupid. And deeply discouraging.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#5 1 year ago

Here's why. If the chase ball was free, then you could intentionally let a stuck but nudgeable ball stay there in place to get a free multiball.

And on the back side, draining either of the two has to count as a drain. The machine can't tell if one is still stuck so it has no idea if the drained ball was the only playable one or if there was another that came loose.

#6 1 year ago

No. There is no gain to be had from a stuck ball on location play. Other than a current multiball if it happens on a multiball. And that is pretty slim - all considered.

On plunging a compensation ball you actually hope that the stuck ball do not come free. As the first ball to drain, of those now two fake multiball, is end-of-ball.

Besides. This happens, or should happen, so rarely, why punish the player any further. I bet you, any operator would rather have happy customers than shortened play time like this. Nonsense.

#7 1 year ago

Sure it matters for location play. Replays, GC and high scores, Insider and other leaderboard events, all of those can be affected by getting a free additional ball in play.

But you don't want an explanation, you just want to be angry, so I guess we're done here.

#8 1 year ago

For a stuck ball to be advantageous it has to 1) occure during a multiball. And 2) not come loose and back into play after the compensation ball has been served. And then it is not even as clear cut. As you miss oppertunity on some games like stashing a ball for timed 2x ect. (like of FF). And the stuck ball should not block shots or disable mechs. And you have to discover it to take the advantage of it.

Needless to say, a stuck ball in coin play pinball is rarely anything but crap. Dont see much sense in taking the measure of double-punishing the player to save the integrety of some leaderboard. For the odd chance that someone blows up the game under stuck ball and takes the GC. Let alone to prevent paying a credit to someone not really deserving it. That is drastic. And bad for location play.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#9 1 year ago

No, it doesn't have to occur during a multiball. Any time you would get an additional ball in play is advantageous. You can make shots faster for any timed mode you start, and it's also insurance against draining as long as it lasts.

A chase ball counting as a drain is bad, I still agree - but it's less-bad than incentivizing players to intentionally get/let a ball stuck to get an additional ball for free. You may disagree, but at least you understand why now rather than just screaming that you have no idea why.

#10 1 year ago

I've had this happen to me on a location based Stranger Things, and I was pretty annoyed, too. It seems like forever Stern pins would give out another ball after several unsuccessful ball searches, so I'm not sure at what point they decided it was better to just screw the player out of a ball. If it's stuck, that's the game's fault, not the player's. Yes, knocking the original ball loose will be frustrating when one drains and the ball is ended, but I'd much rather this option (sometimes the original ball isn't coming out).

#11 1 year ago

Fix ball traps and this is a non-issue.
And usually, a casual player has walked away by the second ball search anyway.

#12 1 year ago

In a well-designed game this is not an issue. Think of all single-ball EM and early SS games.

So, "design better!"

1 week later
#13 12 months ago

I am not a casual player. I am an eager pinhead. I play on location at least once a week. I support location pinball. I play the new releases. And this is discouraging.

I guess from now on I will have to stick to try and free the ball myself. Roughly if I have to. I am going to loose the ball-in-play anyway.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 26.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
BomberMods

Cabinet - Other
BomberMods

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

Lighting - Interactive
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
FlipMods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 139.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Euless, TX
$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 265.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

6,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Muskego, WI
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-compensation-ball-end-of-ball-wtf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.