(Topic ID: 246144)

Stern games go online - along competing Scorbit platform for B/W/G/ !

By goingincirclez

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lrd (resized).JPG
    C585F4E5-2245-4C30-8929-A16882F48045 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yeoldpinplayer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

My fundamental feeling is you can't compare games. Even the same machine can play differently from week to week. Dirty and needs a shop vs freshly waxed alone is gonna play differently.

It depends on the stakes. Professional sports all over the world compete. They establish a standard framework, then expect the teams and referees to carry out that framework. Events happen in a wide variety of conditions, some even offer home court advantage.

So in a sense I agree but if your definition of "differently" is sufficiently narrow then every competition ever has played "differently". I think in a broader sense the question is can we make competitions on different machines in different locations 'same enough' to have a meaningful competition. I think the answer is yes but it may require changes to how we hold competitions today.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Can you name one example that works like this, I can’t think of one.

Nearly every organized competition. NBA, NHL, even non-sports like baseball and golf. They have a common framework used to compare events in different arenas, players, referees, weather conditions. Every organizing body sets a common framework in their rules, knowing there will be differences in many factors.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

All playing at the same time in the same place in the same conditions

NBA events are held at more than thirty different locations throughout their season. Only about thirty of the five hundred or so players are in the same place at the same time.

You seem to have a rigid view of what constitutes a competition. As the capabilities of our equipment change, the nature of our competition may change too. Time will tell.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Won't be IFPA. The whole reason that 'selfie leagues' were removed from official rankings sanctioning

Selfie leagues are still sanctioned. They just only generate WPPRs for the finals portion, the selfie part is used for seeding.
    https://www.ifpapinball.com/menu/ranking-info/

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

matchplay is directly linked with IFPA? They even use your IFPA number to record the score and you can do the same on Pindigo. Matchplay doesn’t have an app but Pindigo does.

Matchplay generates & tracks ratings independently from the IFPA. Two totally separate systems. Matchplay uses the IFPA API to pull your IFPA number and associate it with your Matchplay name so when the TD submits results they are less likely to have to look up a bunch of player numbers. Matchplay's website runs in a browser so there is no need for an app.

I don't know what Andreas had in mind with the Matchplay ratings. The IFPA system has its weaknesses, maybe he's just generating data to see how he might improve them?

I use Pindigo to track what machines I've played. It has a lot of functionality besides that and I think it's a great app.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yeoldpinplayer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coming-online-along-competing-scorbit-platform-for-b-w-g-?tu=yeoldpinplayer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.