(Topic ID: 246144)

Stern games go online - along competing Scorbit platform for B/W/G/ !

By goingincirclez

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lrd (resized).JPG
    C585F4E5-2245-4C30-8929-A16882F48045 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider adol75.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

This topic has come up a lot over the years, and we always rehash the same arguments.
    My fundamental feeling is you can't compare games. Even the same machine can play differently from week to week. Dirty and needs a shop vs freshly waxed alone is gonna play differently.
    I understand the appeal, but to me at least if you want to compete with someone you gotta be there, on the same game, playing at the same time. Anything else just introduces so many variables that kills the legitimacy of the competition for me. You want to do it for fun and don't care? Hey cool. But it seems somewhat pointless to me really.
    But maybe I'm missing different possibilities, I'm open to learning more. Just feels like that basic "compete over the internet" part is built upon a shaky foundation, whether it's my machine vs your machine, or me vs you on the same game on location but at different times.

I think there is room for both. I surely love to play against people on location but I’m not always able to. When it comes to home games I tend to think people take care of them and maintain them well. The incentive of beating others can also be a good drive to wax and clean and put the best chances on your side.

For locations, it also triggers my excitement as I’ve always wanted to confront my skills with a wider group than my local peeps.

The best analogy I can find is Street Fighter 2, I thought I was really good at it, used to beat pretty much everyone at my local arcade. Then Capcom brought it online and started worldwide tournaments, I took a huge slap (well my ego surely did) playing against people in Japan and went back to training sessions in a (somewhat desperate) hope to beat them.

All together there is a new spark in pinball and I see initiatives like the Scorbitron as a good way to spread our passion and make pinball great again.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

That's not the issue. Game to game to game, they don't play the same. It's not about being maintained, it's just the nature of the beast. Have you ever gone to a location or someone's house and played their Pinball Party or WOZ and it feels different? The kickout of a saucer doesn't go where you thought, or the pitch is a little different, it's faster, or has more side to side action, or the flippers feel a little weaker, that ramp shot you usually nail is harder? Some games play easier, some play harder, even when they're not set up that different. And realistically they probably are set up different, everyone like to tweak the pitch and settings.

I agree with you on differences in games, but there is already a scoreboard on Pinside and people post their scores on a daily basis, so getting that more automated is definitely a good idea imho. We’re not talking official tournaments and critical ranking there, but removing the relative solitude of a pinball player at home has some charms.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider adol75.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coming-online-along-competing-scorbit-platform-for-b-w-g-?tu=adol75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.