Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 89 days ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2 Link to Kickstarter project. Posted by ForceFlow (7 years ago)

Post #74 Feedback on Stern editorial control. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #109 Talk about editorial choices. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #120 Confirmation that Batman 66 will be in the book. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #123 Poster(s) shipping arrangements clarified. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #130 Project update announced. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #502 Backer update Posted by Matesamo (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swinks.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#114 7 years ago

Just want to hope they produce the book if the project is successful on Kickstarter, as Kickstarter does not guarantee that the company will deliver.

Heaps of Indiegogo and Kickstarter projects that got the funds but did not deliver to their customers ...................................

#116 7 years ago

thanks for taking the time to respond, I will be backing

#118 7 years ago

will it have Batman 66 in it?

#121 7 years ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

Yes definitely!!! Game is SO beautiful, and George Gomez has already promised to share never before seen design sketches!

awesome, glad that is included and the SLE cabinet is great, thanks for the reply

#145 7 years ago

what would be very cool is a zombie yeti t-shirt with saving pinball but no Stern logo for any pledger to buy as a add on limited to just the kickstarter.

hell have a 2nd shirt option with dirty donnie

1 month later
    #185 7 years ago

Totally agree on the transparent layers, here's hoping that at least the guys do one game at least in transparent in the book as that might promote sales / an extra boost to reach the goal. Even better if this is successful, a new game is launched in the book when the book is launched to get a sneak peak.

They were going to announce a few t-shirt designs and that went silent....... any news

Lastly I would be concerned if Stern invests a chunk of money from the point that they may try to enforce opinions of how it should look, don't want Jody to start putting his slant / control on the book design.

#228 7 years ago

I was keen in the beginning and backed the book but decided to drop out in the last day as was disappointed with the lack of updates and samples. Joe via Kickstarter asked why I bailed and I was respectful but honest and granted his replies were positive and passionate so confident he will deliver. But I was really hoping to see a few sample pages by now as don't really want a bound book of predominantly sales brochures etc. and all we have seen is Sparky and kiss head in development stages but in what format ? and transparent pages won't happen as they are large stretch goals so highly unlikely. I might still jump back on but need to see something more.

I agree it needs Lyman

#273 7 years ago

hoping for some great developments

#320 7 years ago

would be great to see production numbers but highly doubt stern will share that info.

#345 7 years ago

I was curious and did the rough number count of books purchased by backers. Backers supported specific categories valued at $54675 and then there is some extra funds so some people must of paid extra for a extra book - $638 / $55 = 11 books (say call it the pros)

Pro's - 260 + 11 estimated = 271
    Premiums - 39
    LE's (various ones) - 148

So roughly 450 to 458 books allocated, with roughly 190 of those having unique Premium & LE dust jackets

#347 7 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

I'm not involved in this project, but the Kickstarter says, "A minimum run of 1,000 will make the printing affordable ..." This gives me the impression the Kickstarter goal of $50K was based on a print of 1,000 copies. As this goal was reached / backed by less than 500 backers, it seems only logical to me to assume there will be at least 500 copies left to be sold through alternative channels.

I agree, hence the rough count, wonder if the other 550 will be all Pro's or a few LE's

with 438 backers for books

5 months later
    #496 6 years ago

same goes for Indiegogo projects (like Kickstarter project), lots of people loosing thousands of dollars with the project people walking away with hundreds of thousands of $

4 months later
    #665 6 years ago

stern must have some inside link as about 4-6 weeks ago I asked on Stern's Facebook page about if they had any updates on the book and Jarrod said he would ask and about a day later Joe replied here and then silence again.

1 week later
    #707 6 years ago

thanks for sharing frolic and agree if they gave weekly or fortnightly updates it would keep everyone positive

1 month later
    #732 6 years ago

if someone is down in NYC go check out Jakprints as I am sure he is one of the team. When you read the FAQ (last one) is a mention of a Dameon Guess and did a search on him and he owns jakprints

https://www.facebook.com/jakprints/posts/10154107983566648

1 month later
    #831 6 years ago

at least it is a update and it's Christmas so I will give them the benefit of the doubt but would like to see at least one update a month.

I have backed a heap of kickstarters and Pro Pinball was the worst and they still haven't delivered the designs for the cabinet decals and just blatantly ignore any questions and they have issued art to the dutch guys - Silver Castle to build a cabinet - Pro Pinball will never get a cent off me again

Hopefully Paperflock can do a awesome book with some see through pages as a bonus to make us all forget about the poor communication and delays

#832 6 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

the sad part about kickstarter is that there is no legal recourse for the backers when a project is successfully funded and the project owner does not come through.
    it makes me think that kickstarter should hold a portion of the funds in escrow so that if the project never comes to fruition at least a portion of the funds go back to the backers
    maybe it's the part of me that has never taken money for something that is not complete and ready to ship (if you don't have the funds to back your own projects, then maybe you shouldn't be getting into it in the first place)
    I'm no millionaire (heck, far from it), but I've been able to bring quite a few $5-digit projects to market on my own dime. I think that using your own money not only gives you a sense of pride, but also drives you to getting the project completed. when you're using someone else's funds, that incentive simply isn't there and you don't feel any pressure to [getting it done]

well said and very true, and I do the same with projects like the snackbar mods etc

3 months later
    #920 6 years ago

agree on a few transparent pages to show off a game design

1 month later
    #928 5 years ago

where does it stop as in 6months time there will be another pinball, just make it and send it

7 months later
    #1333 5 years ago

well I got Fireball Island via Kickstarter for Christmas so at least one company delivered - and man it looks sweet

#1335 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Me too!! I get to unwrap mine tomorrow, can't wait to play it.

it looks great, they did a great job

We are already into christmas day, just gotta get the eating out of the way, have a water fight with the kids (as going to be a hot one) and then chill with a game later

1 week later
    #1360 5 years ago

probably related to Jody

5 months later
    #1637 4 years ago

wow, thought it was just me but too cramped up (especially starship and viper) and would of loved to see a consistent shot of the cabinet, playfield & translite for every game

if the pages end up being smallish you are not going to see the details - whoever is the art director on this has a crap vision

1 year later
    #2030 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

"Good news guys, a lot of you are requesting an extended version of this book so we decided..."

they better not,

I filled in the survey for my address I just hope the shipping is reasonable and not overcharged to cover their poor delivery

did anyone ever get their digital pack?

3 weeks later
    #2087 3 years ago

I have supported over 30 projects on kickstarter and for me it's only been 2 projects that have not delivered or delivered fully: - both pinball related
    - Propinball Digital Table and the supposed extras
    - this book

everything else was delivered, some a little longer but all delivered - pinball and tech ones seem to be the fails

2 weeks later
    #2161 3 years ago

I haven't got my survey but this is crap - he probably fleece us for more money and may still not deliver

where is he shipping from?

maybe someone near him could pick it all up and we pay that person to pack and ship - refuse to give Joe any more money.

This is what I sent him in 2016.

screen-capture-19 (resized).pngscreen-capture-19 (resized).png
    #2169 3 years ago

I put in a kickstarter complaint as well went to backerkit and notified them.

I also went to kickstarter and checked out a few new book projects and postage varied $19 to $40 for similar size / weight (even 2 of one book to get to a similar weight) not $85

Joe and crew are scamming us

I would rather him write my name in big letters on the index so it is already used and can't be onsold.

#2189 3 years ago

- I sent a message to kickstarter about the postage
    - I sent a message to backerkit about postage
    - and I posted my review about Paperflock and it was approved - may as well give them something that stays with them.
    https://www.bizapedia.com/ca/paperflock-inc.html

I am not paying anything until I get some answers, and hell I wouldn't be surprised if part of the overcharge is for Stern.

I would love to know the dimensions of the book to then double check the postage.

#2190 3 years ago

here is the backer list (by country) and you start to get an idea of what he is screwing everyone over by

- just for Australia - 50 people x $85 = $4250 just in inflated postage

- or if you look at all the top countries outside of the USA - 151 x 85 averaged = $12835 (which I am sure there are others like 1 in Japan etc)

Paperflock is a THIEF

screen-capture-21 (resized).pngscreen-capture-21 (resized).png

#2208 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I have some time on my hands. I’ll pick them all up and ship them myself if someone can track him down.

his address is here
    https://www.bizapedia.com/ca/paperflock-inc.html

#2214 3 years ago

that just shows even more that this is a scam

#2246 3 years ago

in there update he is charging for a storage fee at the shipping location and packing fee - maybe he should store in a personal / friends garage and pack himself instead of charging us the fees. Then pack in a brown non branded box to reduce the cost more.

we have been PAPERF#CK'd

#2256 3 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Why the hell is he shipping priority mail across the world? A 2 lb parcel from the USA to Norway is $24 via USPS first class mail. Should be the same price to most of the EU. Sure, it takes a bit longer, but its also a fraction of the cost.

and what is another couple of months after 4 years since this crap started

#2257 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Joe doesn't strike me as the type of person who would roll up his sleeves to do that type of work.

yeah I know

#2281 3 years ago

my response from Backerkit was vague and almost supported Paperf#ck - didn't look into anything = lazy and probably making more money by doing the work.

Boy this sounds like a "Popadiuk" scam - keep giving money........

#2289 3 years ago

more comes out - one of the guys has a printing company but you design and produce a book you can't print = DUMB

screen-capture-22 (resized).pngscreen-capture-22 (resized).png
    #2294 3 years ago

If you reached out to Kickstarter they will ask you to do a survey - this was my feedback and I think Kickstarter needs to make these companies more accountable and ban them from Kickstarter for life as a starter.

"Up to recently I loved kickstarter and supported quite a few projects but after the recent lack of accountability and support - you have lost a backer for other projects. You need to ensure a bit more accountability: eg for a book
    - is it a certain size and thickness and weight
    - postage
    then if a project makes it bigger they are accountable for the difference as they allowed scope creep.
    But in Kickstarter collecting their portion and not make the designer accountable in some areas is appalling. This is the 2nd failed pinball kickstarter and again not fully delivered.
    These companies and key people should be banned from kickstarter for the rest of the days so it ensures some accountability."

#2295 3 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

I wonder if we could propose to Paperflock that if we so choose we can request a refund. However they are not obligated to give out a refund because they technically can deliver the reward to backers. However if Paperflock wants to sell your book on your behalf then give you a refund would that work?

he just has to look at Jack Dangers Facebook as lots of people are ready to through money at it.

I would be happy for my $55USD refund for the book and walk away.

#2309 3 years ago

thats great, refund for me as well

#2315 3 years ago

I requested a refund as well

BUT

I screenshot my recent messages and my pledge just as proof before it disappears.

I don't trust them - you would think if everything is ready they would be proud to show the piles of jackets, pins, books

as for the refund - I get that kickstarter takes a bit but not sure why paypal when I paid with a credit card but whatever 90% is better than nothing.

#2338 3 years ago

I bailed and opted for a refund and if they don't pay up I will just publish what they did

1 week later
    #2385 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

Anyone consider that Joe may just take your money and not ship anything? I can just see this coming: "Big news--the fulfillment company we contracted with tells us their warehouse burned down, taking all the books with it. We are sorry, but we are out of money and out of business--thanks for your support!"

exactly what I was thinking - but reckon the reason will be too many people want refunds so we can fund the refund now send the books so we will just put some up at Amazon.

Quoted from cooked71:

They acknowledged my refund request - now we'll see what happens with the credit card being expired.
    Wonder how many cancelled.

I got a message from kickstarter and they said that if you have you new card registered with kickstarter the money will find it's way.

I am still blown aware that they are not using the guy in their team that does printing ..... they could at least store the books there to save on the fees.

#2398 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Can’t believe they’re interviewing these clowns. Hope they don’t go easy on them.

totally agree

#2405 3 years ago

I thought I read on the kickstarter somewhere that stated they made 500 books.

I don't think Stern will use them based on how long it took to develop a book. They really should of kept the idea of the see through pages to open up a game at least for the Batman anniversary game.

#2411 3 years ago

If they are doing a interview and want to save image they need to state that they made 500 and "x" amount are for whoever - be honest and really the 444 stated are for the backers that made this all possible.

I don't trust them and have to agree with PinMonk the page layout is disappointing.

Hopefully the people still on board for the books are happy with them.

#2421 3 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

Wonder if the shipping money is being used to fund the refunds until PaperFuck can get the books on Amazon or something... it just seems weird they had funds after all this time with vacations, interns, etc to process any refunds...

I doubt it, I haven't seen anything and they told us 60-90 days for a refund so that is 2-3 months away. They will probably use higher postage prices or amazon sales to cover refunds or just not pay us...

#2436 3 years ago

They were the designers / publishers but then did not use there own printing facilities / person to print.

I really think they should just do travel books given the holidays Joe does...

#2440 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I did a little bit of reading to see how they positioned themselves at the start of this. This quote cracked me up:

Their kickstarter also said a run of 1000 books, but now they're saying "500 and we're out of here".

and in the interview 444 books - lies....

I was keen at the beginning of the kickstarter and then he almost begged me to support and sadly I went against my gut feeling (something I did not feel was right) and supported them...

1 week later
    #2479 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

What a f*ckjng low life scumbag. I can’t stand the fact he got to “tell his side of the story” on Franchis podcast and seems to have received some sympathy and support from it. I can think if a lot of other things this guy deserves - sympathy and support are not on the list.

I bet Franchi like Jack Danger already got a book

#2482 3 years ago

lack of communication, if they got people's additional money they should promptly send the goods or at least give them an update...

over the years of making snackbar mods, I don't take money until the item is finished, tested and sitting in a box, then I contact the person to pay and it is shipped within 24hrs in most cases on receipt of payment.

2 months later
    #2773 3 years ago

I reminded them of payment, now officially over 90 days and still nothing apart from a message you will be notified when a refund is sent but no response when asked when

funny how everyone is mentioned in the back of the book including those that want a refund...

as others have stated I have supported many really good kickstarter projects with only 2 being crap and dodgy - funny enough both were pinball related.

#2775 3 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

the books were already printed before the refund option was even offered up. kind of crappy that those that paid the most are now waiting the longest (dickie jackets out of stock) and even more so for the insane postage for everyone, especially those residing outside of the united states

the insane postage is the only reason I am out plus not really impressed by the scrap book photo placement

4 weeks later
    #2870 3 years ago

still waiting on a refund

unless someone in the US wants my place / book

1 week later
    #2904 3 years ago
    Quoted from Looking4FirstPin:

Hello everyone. I'd love to get my hands on this book. Do you know if this is generally available?

I would interested in selling my spot for what I paid - postage was just too much to Australia so I am in limbo land at the moment.

I could reach out to them and see how it can be done

1 week later
    #2913 3 years ago

I am waiting for a refund and then reached out to them about 10 days ago to see if I can send the book to someone in the US - silence, nothing, jerks

1 week later
    #2932 3 years ago

a pinsider who had better success with communication with Paperflock was able to transfer my book to them yesterday - I was promptly paid by this pinsider and I am now out of this show.

They are after another book only if anyone is still waiting for a repayment that wants to get out. Send me a PM and I will connect you to them.

#2937 3 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisBardon:

PM sent. If anyone else is interested in the LE book + ZY print, I'm pretty sure I'll never get my refund, so if anyone wants the spot and is interested in dealing with Paperflock, send over a PM.

I sent your details to the pinsider that got my book as he was after one more

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swinks.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter?tu=swinks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.