Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2 Link to Kickstarter project. Posted by ForceFlow (7 years ago)

Post #74 Feedback on Stern editorial control. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #109 Talk about editorial choices. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #120 Confirmation that Batman 66 will be in the book. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #123 Poster(s) shipping arrangements clarified. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #130 Project update announced. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #502 Backer update Posted by Matesamo (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stoptap.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#368 7 years ago

Putting aside the who's, whys and wherefores regarding the book for a minute. Who is the dipshit who has downvoted everybody who dare question the project ? The twat with the chocolate rabbit ?

#375 7 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Ah that would be me with the goofy eyed Easter Bunny. *clicks downvote button*
    This is Joes KS page: https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/joedp/created Laugh at his ears in his profile pic or get angry that he made this KS but look at the previous projects he has created. His FIRST project on KS wasn't a small coffee table book. No he went big and risky with the "Digital Bolex: The 1st Affordable Digital Cinema Camera". He asked $2.5k for a small camera for pro's to use but had no track record to prove anything on KS aside from his own professional career. Only 100 were to be made for $100k and not only did that get funded but the campaign hit milestones adding additional features to these camera's because people didn't bitch and complain. They doubled in fact the original goal earning $262,661 with 440 people or 4 less than the 30 years of Stern Pinball KS which struggled to earn $54k and had to have Slash come in to help. They also built and shipped these camera's and it took a year. That is over a quarter of a million dollars that "suckers" apparently spent for a pro grade camera and received.
    Then he most recently had yet another successful KS campaign for another coffee table book for cosplayers. That was around $8k and wrapped up around this Fall. Joe even posted video's of himself shooting pictures so backers could see progress being made near the bottom of this page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joedp/costumed-play-a-fine-art-cosplay-book?ref=profile_created
    Then Dameon, his partner in the KS, got a news piece back in '09 in the Cleveland, OH area: http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20091130/FORTY09/311309983/jacob-edwards-32-dameon-guess-34 It states he owns a publishing company with 130 employees and 61k in clients. They also have been in business since '98. He probably laughed his ass off after people were telling him how to make the books for cheaper and they were making TONS of profit from a coffee table book on KS.
    Seriously screw all the haters. Maybe, just maybe, Stern does pitch in or Slash puts money in. Or they could use the extra money to not print the 500 or so extra in copies and use the extra money for fold-out pages or whatever. The main concern is the project hit the goal. I don't even know these guys either I just have experience with KS and I just wanted this book to be made.

So you're way of showing support for something is to reject all concerns about the said project ? Good for you. There are many expressing concerns on this thread who have spent thousands and thousands on Stern's games over the years. Are they all 'haters' ? You should run the Stern Facebook page, you have the necessary 'pedigree'.
    And as for supporting a project that has you as a cheerleader ? I will definitely pass.

9 months later
    #618 6 years ago
    Quoted from master_of_chaos:

i fear, that they have(!) to remove any evidence regarding JT from the book, as STERN does on their facebook page.
    This book was not planned as a historical document with all highs and... hmmm. lows.
    so any further delay could be excused with the Trudeau-thing

All too convenient. That story broke a month ago. What caused the radio silence and delays before that ?

1 week later
    #623 6 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

If all is going to plan, the project should be in the proofing stage. The lack of updates has been.....disappointing. I'm a huge supporter of this project but man the updates have been sorely needed.

Wait, shouldn't you be going through the thread down voting anybody who was sceptical ? Maybe you should down vote yourself ?

#625 6 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

You folks didn't give Joe and his partner any chance at all and just compared this project to other projects and went "why Kickstarter". Now however is the only time you can start complaining or be suspicious rather than be "why is my book not done in 4 months already". They laid out their plans, have a good track record, and put out updates that unfortunately were not consistent. According to the last update the book should be in the final stages meaning we should see more stuff like a final cover, something. Maybe it will be shown off at expo? One can hope people who buy a ticket to Sterns party gets a book or can buy one there.

People were (rightly) sceptical about the whole project. Like so many before the Kickstarter system has proved to be a means of extracting money from customers with no concrete assurances coming from the developer.
    If this book was as important to Stern as they made out, THEY should have covered the development costs. The whole thing has been shabbily handled and (once again) it is people who have paid money who have taken the shit.

My issue with you is you went WAY beyond backing this individual and descended into attacking anyone who expressed doubt or concern.

#647 6 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Because you folks instantly started attacking Paper Flock because the theory was Stern should have backed this. Stern doesn't care if this book gets made or not but it's odd that their name is on it and they have not said anything about it. Most people on here are oblivious as to how a normal Kickstarter works and they only read about the horror stories. It's the typical Pinside mentality though and just brutally shut down the project before it gets off the ground because it wasn't like a previous pinball publication. To be fair to Joe and his partner have been responsive when I e-mailed them. Usually an update came out after.

If Stern didn't care whether it got published or not, why did they promote it ?

#657 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

And don't forget Zombie Yeti and Slash were also used to promote this project. They went a long way to promote this. I'm not too worried yet.

I genuinely hope that everyone gets their books but the way this whole episode has been handled has been shambolic.

#678 6 years ago

I'm not suggesting for one minute that the guy behind this a conman and I think a book will eventually happen but come on, how hard is it to keep people informed ?

1 month later
    #735 6 years ago

Trudeau caused this ??
    Did his arrest stop Paperflock updating the backers ?? Did his arrest prevent JoeDP from coming on Pinside ?

Stop making excuses for these individuals.

2 years later
    #1850 4 years ago

Coffee table for sale. Like new. Never been used to support an actual book. $30 ono.

3 weeks later
    #1877 4 years ago

Suddenly, nothing happened.

4 months later
    #1930 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

I think they’re worried about getting a cease and desist letter from Stern.

They are more worried about a publish and print letter from Stern.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stoptap.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter?tu=stoptap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.