Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 83 days ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2 Link to Kickstarter project. Posted by ForceFlow (7 years ago)

Post #74 Feedback on Stern editorial control. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #109 Talk about editorial choices. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #120 Confirmation that Batman 66 will be in the book. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #123 Poster(s) shipping arrangements clarified. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #130 Project update announced. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #502 Backer update Posted by Matesamo (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#240 7 years ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

No problem I would not want you to invest in something and then later be disappointed by it.

Thanks a lot! I try hard to be as open and honest about the project as I can at all times.
    Communicating on social media can be very tough for companies that don't have departments dedicated to this kind of thing.
    We all very much appreciate your support!

It's admirable you want to print the book in the USA, but for a very short run like this it's pretty silly/non-productive. 1000 books isn't going to help any American printer much at all, but keeping the costs down will help every American buyer. You can easily do a book like this overseas with all the bells and whistles for around $3 a book all in, delivered to your shipping location in the US.

#242 7 years ago
    Quoted from puck:

incorrect... source : worked for over a decade in the print industry

Source: Personal, firsthand experience with this stuff for 30 years.

I mean, I guess it depends on how small the printer is, then. 1000 is absolutely miniscule for any printing operation of size. In the big picture, it will make virtually no difference at all, and small runs are penalized with a cost structure that is designed for larger scale than 1000.

#244 7 years ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

I am open to suggestion
    If you have a manufacturer that you believe will do a good job for less money feel free to share.

PM me what your quote is, delivered, per book and I'll probably be able to turn you on to a place where you can get it cheaper, or where you can upgrade the quality for less than you're paying. I've worked with domestic and overseas printers for almost 30 years.

I just realized that the book is simpler than I thought:
    Hardcover
    Custom art dust jacket
    Custom art slip cover
    (This is going to be smyth sewn, right?)

For some reason I thought it was foil-stamped, too. For one that simple at 200 pages, it should be around $2 a unit in quantity. If I can help you, I will point you in the right direction, but this isn't any kind of offer to get involved beyond that or do this for you.

1 week later
    #386 7 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

So, the kickstarter is over? I've never done one before, does it reopen up for more orders or will there be another way to order for people who missed out? Thanks.

Likely there will be other forms of the book at retail or Amazon, etc after the backers are taken care of, just maybe/probably not the LE, and maybe/probably not immediately.

1 year later
    #846 6 years ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

This was a dream of ours! Unfortunately we are pretty sure it is cost prohibitive at the purchasing capacity we have with current orders.
    We will look a little deeper into it, but we know it is very pricey.

How many pages is this again? 200 or so? If you're doing the printing overseas, the translucent/transparent pages shouldn't add that much to the overall cost per unit, even for a short run, especially if there's only a dozen or two pages per book with this printing.

#849 6 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

I thought the translucent pages was a given? Wasn't it on the list of features during the sales campaign?

The cost to do it certainly shouldn't be a reason to cut it because it's just not that expensive, especially if you're doing it overseas as they should for a run like this.

#851 6 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Shouldn't they have investigated the cost before listing it as a feature?

Sometimes you make what you think are reasonable assumptions about things that are an extension of what you already know. It seems like they just found out that the printer(s) that quoted them will charge a lot for this feature, when it can be done inexpensively overseas.

For example, I try to print here in the US where possible, but sometimes the quotes are so outrageous, I have to go overseas to make something viable. I had a US printer literally raise the cost on a hardbound book run that was much larger than this pinball book by $4/unit just to add a number of colored bookmark ribbons. For cloth ribbons. That feature quote was more than the cost for the book itself. So that one went overseas and turned out fine with a much more reasonable cost.

So, yeah, overseas is where this Stern book needs to go to control costs and make it as cool as a $55 coffeetable book (edit, didn't realize most of their pledges were for the low level) should be, retaining the transparent/translucent pages (hopefully they even have them designed already - I would think exploding them into layers in a compelling way would be a challenge).

Domestic Media mail is around $5 for up to 6lbs, and the book shipper/sealing tape is $1 at the very most, so there's $49 for production of the book. For overseas printing, including delivery to the US, I would be shocked if it was more than $7/unit delivered (and likely more like $6) for a short run of 1000, even with the fancy transparent/translucent pages and a nice foil-stamped dust jacket. Unless there's some other real reason for the change, printing cost should not be a cause for cutting that feature.

#855 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Correct, I added more to the previous post.

$25k stretch for enamel pins? That seems silly. Those are ridiculously inexpensive to make and should have probably been included at the T-shirt level.

#863 6 years ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

It was not Jody, honestly.

One-armed man?

#865 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Have you at least had the money invested for the past year while nothing has been happening?
    Serious question, as you could have easily made 20% in the past 1 months.

Or if he bought bitcoin early last year, it'd be worth $650,000 now.

1 week later
    #880 6 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Hi Joe, thanks for the updates. Take the time that you need but just keep the backers updated on what is going on. Thanks!
    As irony would have it the only KS that has not delivered to me are finally trying to deliver now 6 years later (what a joke)! They have come out of court and can now talk about the game and how they have gone BANKRUPT. They are now looking at yet another Kickstarter and funding models to continue to make the game. They have said that refunds are not possible because they have done exactly what JPOP did. Only when the game comes out can I get a refund. While the game looks promising, I don't care what they have to say at this point and will be getting my $65 back on that nightmare.

Which one was that?

#882 6 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

A game called "Novus Aeterno" http://www.novusaeterno.com They still have the link to Kickstarter and awards from PAX West from back in '12 displayed proudly on their website.

If your last award was 5 years ago, probably time to give it up. Hadn't heard of this particular Kickstarter blowout. Thanks for the link.

1 month later
    #917 6 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Transparent overlays for the win.

I checked with the vendor I use for printing in China and adding transparent overlays to a hardbound oversized book adds relatively little to the cost. So, it's probably do-able - IF they have the layered art.

1 month later
    #932 5 years ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

We have all or most of the material we believe we need in order to create the book layout, but after the copy is approved we move into design.
    We have done some design work to establish some formatting things, but the majority of the design is not done yet.

Wow. Long haul confirmed. Designing 150+ pages of a coffeetable book from scratch at essentially the END of the project won't be completed by next month. This has likely become a Fall 2018 release, which makes 2 years total.

2 weeks later
    #967 5 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

8 weeks. That's 2 weeks times 4.

Hold on...graphing...

#973 5 years ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

Here is the update that was posted on Kickstarter:
    Hello Kickstarter backers!
    Our new designer shared his mockup for the first 27 pages with us today!
    The designs look great, and we're looking forward to sharing samples with you soon.
    On another note, the photo retouching is going really well too. We are most of the way through retouching the photos for the "story" section of the book. These are the older photos and require the most retouching/editing so this is a good accomplishment.
    Here is a sample of some retouching:
    Thank you all for your support looking forward to getting the book done!

Colors on the corrected pic look way off. He looks like he has a sunburn in the corrected version, and he obviously didn't in the original. With more natural fleshtone correction, the curtains are gold, which is more likely for that era. I quickly re-did parts of it (top) the original is center, and your correction is bottom.

sternbook-pic (resized).jpgsternbook-pic (resized).jpg

#976 5 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

Hmmm...maybe Joe shoulda hired you, vireland : )

Uh...no. I have plenty of my own work to do. I had a really crappy surgery recovery around the turn of the year that put me way behind on everything except chatting up pinball and rufffling feathers occasionally, which doesn't pay.

I was just showing what was possible with not a lot of work or time, and that whoever is doing the color correction is likely very inexperienced and/or not up to the task if they think that sample is a good example.

#977 5 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Much better....I was going to do that myself...

Yeah, but Gary would have been pissed if his dad had a gash on his head and blood running out of his eyes. You can't be trusted with normal.

#979 5 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

I was going to roll my eyes and say that people are picky (I just want the book in my hands haha) but I actually like vireland version. The trick to cleaning up photos is to remove tears, dust, etc but not "improving" or changing that moment in time. Like for example the chair in vireland version is a much richer black and in the altered version it's got a tinge of everything red.

vireland does this crap for a living, when needed. And just to be clear, I spent maybe 10 minutes cleaning up the sample I did, just to show the direction it SHOULD have taken. It could look even better with more time spent.

The problem with the correction sample he showed is the color correction was WRONG which affected everything in the picture negatively, so it made Sam ruddy-looking and made his chair look brown rather than black and the curtains look orange. The seam in the chair was also erased, which is wrong.

I did, however, take a smidge of artistic license in that the white spot on his lips is most-likely from the flash, but it looks better without it, so I removed that.

4 weeks later
    #998 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

So it started two months ago, and the first book will ship in two more. THAT’s how it should be done! Not a year or two...

I understand about approvals from Stern on content and interviews with creators and designers that take time, etc - they're making a different kind of book from what you're doing. That said, it FEELS like there was little sense of urgency in any of this, and that FIRST photo "correction" sample after a year and a half of nothing was plain embarrassing.

2 weeks later
    #1017 5 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

I think the Flockers should hold things off just a little longer until Elvira 3 is out...

If we're expanding the scope to Data East, let's expand to Stern's competitors to get a complete picture of Stern's journey! Why not expand to Deeproot and just release a bigger book next Fall? A homebrew chapter would be cool, too, let's add that and delay it some more!

In showbiz, these moves would be called vamping.

#1019 5 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Good idea. Here’s the first proof...

Does that still qualify for media mail?

2 weeks later
    #1048 5 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

This and a couple other failed kickstarters have turned me completely off from ever pre-buying into anything. There just isn't enough accountability in the process.

Meh. I still support KS occasionally. Some work, some don't. I look at it more buying into the POTENTIAL for a cool thing to be made. But yeah, this particular one seems extremely amateurish. It's like they don't have any idea what the flow for making a book should be. At all. And that "photo restoring" - yeesh. So bad.

2 weeks later
    #1053 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

He's a lying sack of shit.

That reads like an insult to shit.

#1056 5 years ago
    Quoted from puck:

mrbally vireland you two in on this book?

I'm here for the entertainment.

#1063 5 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Last login on KS was January...
    That’s scary

Well there was a backer update 39 days ago that someone posted here, so SOMEONE had to log in to Kickstarter to post that...

#1066 5 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Guys, quit complaining. Don’t you realize they had to delay the book to include both Iron Maiden and Deadpool now? And I heard they’re also trying to include Munsters, Elvira and Pulp Fiction.
    Seriously, what a f*n joke.
    “I’ve been Paperf*cked.”

surprise.gifsurprise.gif
    #1073 5 years ago
    Quoted from puck:

New thread title? Anyone want to share what the new title should be?

"Paperflock is a Lousy Date"

#1088 5 years ago
    Quoted from KLR2014:

This process is taking longer than we expected, as it has been at every stage, but the content we are putting together is first rate!

That photo restoration sample of the work they're doing on pictures was DEFINITELY not "first rate".

1 month later
    #1146 5 years ago
    Quoted from ausretrogamer:

You could ask/complain to PaperFlock (and possibly Stern) on Twitter - that way they cannot delete the tweet.

Pretty dead twitter, I doubt anyone sees it, including PaperFlock. You're better off tweeting Stern.

2 months later
    #1266 5 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

This just popped up in KS:
    Hello Kickstarter Backers,
    I know you guys are waiting for an update. I'm sorry we have been quiet this month, but I promise we have been making progress!
    This is just a micro-update to let you know that we will be posting a bigger update on Monday!
    Thanks for your patience, Joe and Dameon, and the Paperflock Team

They have wi-fi on the beach!

#1296 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I was going to comment on kickstarter, but I really don't see the point. if he considers taking 30 elements!!! from the stern asset discs (as he's joyfully stated) and slapping them on a spread, this man doesn't have a fucking clue what he's doing. some one the age of 8 could have done this (and probably have done a better job
    there was no thought involved whatsoever in taking a bunch of stock images and just resizing them so that fit on a 2-page layout
    but wait! the layout guy did overlay 2 of the elements over an image of the playfield. I'll bet that took him a week to do
    seriously, the one guy that did comment on this update said "looks great, I can't wait!"
    and as for his comment of "I know that we are making the best pinball book that we've ever seen", he might as well as stated "the best book that he's ever seen" because it's obvious he's never looked at any books (even comic books, which have much better layouts

It is a very amateurish layout, but I didn't want to be bitchy and point that out after demonstrating how bad their "photo retouching" skills are in the book sample. So, since you said it - I agree.

#1297 5 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

I think the layout looks fine, only so much you can do without either displaying fewer pictures or having an overlapping mess.

You can do a LOT more long before it becomes a mess. The visual interest just isn't there.

1 week later
    #1326 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Remember this joe? We do.
    Post #53.
    He guaranteed the book would come out. Sounds like a personal guarantee to me, possible avenue for class action lawsuit.

Well, it says Stern's reputation is on the line, so of course...uh, wait...nevermind.

1 month later
    #1408 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I wonder if they will swing by the jail to collect Trudeau's signature for the $325 folks?

No need. Trudeau'll be in court tomorrow for a plea. They can just catch him while he's waiting for his case to be called.

1 month later
    #1446 5 years ago
    Quoted from ahdelarge:

2019 is going to be our year. I can feel it. A pinball book for Christmas!

If there's a full investigation, there might even be two bookings this year...

#1448 5 years ago
    Quoted from ahdelarge:

So, is this book going to be trapped in the world of the Ghostbusters release or will we see art from Iron Maiden, Deadpool and The Munsters?

Who knows? Who even knows where the book layout REALLY is? We've seen a couple bad photo retouching samples, an amateurish layout sample and that's it. There's no way to know where the book will cut off or if it will ever really see the light of day.

#1457 5 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

What does it take to start a class action lawsuit? I would name paperflock and stern. Because stern clearly promoted this. I bet something would happen then.....

Not enough money in it for the lawyers.

3 weeks later
    #1487 5 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Project Update # 36 - check your inboxes:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paperflock/keeping-the-ball-alive-30-years-of-stern-pinball/posts/2444621?ref=ksr_email_backer_project_update_registered_users
    Hello Kickstarter Backers!
    We have made a lot of progress in the last two months!
    As you know we got the Stern CD Archive a few months ago and have been working hard to integrate all of the images into layouts based on each machine. The Archives are great and have original artwork in them making the pages SO much more dynamic, but they don't have pictures of the completed machines, at least not at the resolution our print quality demands, so we have been shooting every machine ourselves!
    We had another shoot last month at the Vegas Pinball Museum where we knocked out 15 more machines!
    ► Play video
    They gave us a corner of the room to work in and unlocked each machine for us so we could take the glass out to photograph them without glare, and were overall extremely helpful!
    And we have already completed the cutting out of all of those machines, and finished layouts and basic color correction too! This was ALOT of work. And now we have a test print of all of our pages to date!
    Finally, Jeremy (Zombie Yeti) has been working with us on the art for the other incentives, which should be ready to send to print / manufacture before the end of this month!
    We have a meeting with Stern to review pages next week.
    We have more color correction to do (things look different after you see them printed).
    And we have a little more layout detail to do like captions and other things, but the work is over 90% of the way done!
    We know this has been a long haul, we know people are waiting, but you haven't seen a pinball book like this before, we promise!
    Thank you all for your continued patience and support, Joe, Dameon, and the Paperflock team.

I still don't get the shooting machines again when Stern gave them all the assets from the flyers already. If those were print ready, the ones in the last 15-20 years should have PLENTY of resolution unless they're blowing up the playfield on all the machines. And if they're shooting machines at the PHOF, those machines may or may not be in an original configuration, so as a reference, this book will be worthless.

I also hope their "color correction" is better than the single example they posted a year or so ago...

1 month later
    #1502 4 years ago

But they said, "...we will meet the challenges head on and not be satisfied until the product is amazing and people get more than what they hoped for."

They wouldn't lie, would they?

#1527 4 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

I think it's all bullshit. They stole the money and ran. All the updates are fake news.

Fake news doesn't exist. It's fake or it's news. News by definition is not fake. That term drives me crazy.

So in this case, the updates are likely lies or partial truths.

#1535 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spelunk71:

I think Joe had good intentions in the beginning, but laziness, incompetence, and probably some hot interns have taken their toll. Making books is hard.

Especially if your blood is always away from your brain too many times a day to count in exotic locations.

#1550 4 years ago

The "improved" layout is really pedestrian. Super-amateur. I mean, it IS better than the original placeholder layout, but only just.

#1567 4 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

I guess there must have been a lack of supervision on the person who put these pages together. That original Laser War layout makes no sense what so ever. Whoever did that should have been fired from that job instantly. Yet they let him/her continue the whole book? Seems very odd. In fact, it seems so odd, that I'm actually expecting the person who did the layout came up with the page they now show as approved, and they just whipped together a few worse looking pages that make no sense at all. Could it all just be such a smokescreen?

I don't believe they did the whole book with the layout that looked like the crap one. No one is that dumb. This is just another way to buy more time.

#1590 4 years ago
    Quoted from KLR2014:

another update:
    Hello Kickstarter Backers!
    First, I want to tell you we are rocking our way through these layout revisions and have done about a dozen since our last
    update a week ago!

Meh. Layout IS improving, but still too little, too late.

#1608 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Unbound. Jpop will then come to your house and help you staple the pages together.

Or, it will LOOK like that's what he's doing, but there will be no staples in the stapler. Only an impotent "click", "click", "click" with nothing to show for it.

1 week later
    #1621 4 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Let me put it like this: if I was paid $50K to produce 500 books, I would make sure it was ready in time and it would be so impressive that it would create an even bigger demand for reprints.

Especially since the lion's share of that $50k wasn't even hard costs to print and ship the books.

3 weeks later
    #1632 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

man this book looks like absolute shit!

From the examples, the layout looks really inconsistent and poor. For example, I think showing the full plastic set and actual keyfobs a pin came with could be very useful for the present and future, but they don't do it on all of these, and in the case of Harley, they use the plastic set picture as a design element and have it bleeding from one background into another. Also, they have the SAME EAGLE shown in the plastic set and then overlaying the sticker sheet on the left. Crappy.

1 month later
    #1654 4 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Yeh but we can get pictures from google images, what I was hoping for was more about the story of building these games...

Yeah, precious little about the games and their creation/stories, etc. Lots of photos and that's about it. Not really a great time capsule coffee table book.

1 week later
    #1684 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Paperflock will sell no pinball book, before its' time....

Orson Welles in the studio is a force of nature. My favorite...

1 month later
    #1715 4 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

No need to worry about that. Unlike Pinball Magazine - where a full page is used for a complete playfield of a modern game - the playfield images in this book will be so small, you won't be able to notice any details...

Ice-Cold-FreezeOtto (resized).jpgIce-Cold-FreezeOtto (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #1728 4 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

did anyone see gary at expo and ask him about the [lack] of their coffee table book?

No point. He's trying to forget about it, or at least hopes you do.

1 month later
    #1773 4 years ago

So their website is still dead and they've added another pin to the list of pins left to photograph from 77 days ago? Mmmm hmmm.

#1785 4 years ago

No book under our Christmas tree this year. Maybe next Christmas :-/[quoted image]

Haha, I initially read that as "Keeping the Bull Alive" and thought you made a joke ornament.

#1790 4 years ago

As for 2020, I guarantee they’ll have more excuses (like changing the Stern’s 35th anniversary part) that will just keep pushing out the timeline.

Of course! Why didn't I think of that? Stern's 40th is so close now...

1 month later
    #1822 4 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Anyone want to try some napkin math as to how much cash they are going to have to come up with to fulfill all the pre-orders and incentives?
    How about how many additional books they have to sell to cover that nut?
    They’ve already disclosed that they have no money left. That’s why they can’t give refunds.

Media mail (their most likely shipping method) is around $5. The box is probably 50-75 cents, so that's over $2,500 just for shipping - 5% of what they took in.

#1824 4 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

They have not charged us for shipping yet. That's coming (well, perhaps sometime much later this year), and it will be way more than $5.75.

Oh, I thought the pledge included shipping! That's terrible. Well, their cost should be around $6 if they're doing it right. But yeah, if they're charging on TOP of what you already paid, expect $15-20.

1 month later
    #1865 4 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Based on that update, I'm pretty sure I can find them a better printer deal, which will be a lot quicker as well. 6-8 weeks to print a few hundred books? That has to be a joke.

Exactly. I can get them from CHINA with that lead time, at a cost of less than $1/book.

#1869 4 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

China ain’t making no books any time soon...

China's a big place. A number of the factories outside the hot zone are already running again. And while paper is a great transmitter of disease, supposedly coronavirus dies on surfaces after about 2.5 minutes.

2 months later
    #1904 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

well...they did include the transparent pages everyone kept clamoring for...

Made the whole book transparent, apparently. Ink, too.

2 months later
    #1923 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Chirp Chirp....

No kidding. This is well past ridiculous.

crickets.gifcrickets.gif
    1 week later
    #1943 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

George Gomez mentions that he’s seen the book and it’s coming out.
    It’s at about the one hour thirty-four minute mark of the Super Awesome Pinball show episode 12.

George "Every two weeks until we getcha there" Gomez?

#1964 3 years ago
    Quoted from Backyardace:

Why write a forward for a book that doesn’t exist?

That is very bakcwards.

1 month later
    #1993 3 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

[quoted image]

How small are those pages? Based on the scale suggested by the thumb, it looks like ~7" tall.

#1995 3 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Jack is a huge man, so he may have a huge thumb?

I was estimating on the large side. If it was average thumb, that page height would be closer to 6". Did they ever say what the dimensions of the book were supposed to be? For a coffee table book, I would expect it to be much larger.

2 weeks later
    #2021 3 years ago
    Quoted from desiArnez:

I looked into a couple Chinese publishers. Has anyone used one? The things that could go wrong....
    Any suggestions are welcome. I’m looking to print something ambitious.
    [quoted image]

For a small project like this, China is the only way to go. The only thing you have to watch out for is the paper stock and inks they use. Make sure you get a sample before your run. Most of them are printing digitally now so this is much more practical than when it was all offset press. Also, make sure you go hardcover bound for durability. Perfect bound seems attractive, but they are anything but perfect long term. Pages tend to fall out over time in my experience.

The worst part about China is arranging the shipping, having a broker you trust to get them through customs, and the associated fees. But even with all that, at QTY 1000, embossed hardcover (small emboss, don't go crazy) with a dust jacket you'd still be in the <$5 unit range (probably like $3.50-$4) for printing/shipping.

#2039 3 years ago

BTW, not sure why we would have to pay for shipping when it was already factored in the pledge at the time. No f**king way will I be re-paying for shipping!

Probably because they are out of money with thousands of books to ship.

But using media mail, these are what, like $3 to ship? If they haven't got the scratch left for that, yikes.

#2055 3 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I wonder how many of them will end up on ebay?

Lots of pinball flyers on sale on Ebay, and this is like a bunch of flyers in one place, so...

#2056 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Shipping was never included but after all this time it should be waved IMO. [quoted image]

Actual shipping costs of this book are not $13 for the US. They simply aren't.

Media Mail for 2 pounds domestic US zip presorted is $2.63.
    https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm#_c156

Add a generous $1 for the sleeve (it's likely $0.70) and that's $3.63:
    https://www.uline.com/BL_1302/White-Easy-Fold-Mailers

There's no way there's $9+ of labor to ship each book.

#2059 3 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

You left out gas for post office trips, wear & tear on the car, lunch for the escor... I mean interns. Whole lotta ins & outs & what-have-you's.

Post office will pick up commercial presort shipments.

Escorts, well, I don't think that's related, unless it's categorized as breaks.

2 weeks later
    #2089 3 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

They were waiting for Slash to be in town to sign the special edition copies.
    [quoted image]

That's what auto-pen is for.

2 weeks later
    #2164 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinball-1:

$23 for domestic shipping?! Eff that, he can keep it. That's more than even a LARGE USPS flat rate box (which are free), not to mention this is Media mail.

Media Mail, coast to coast US shipping is $3.95 for a 3 pound box 12" x 10" x 5". Let's generously add $2 for the box (it's really less than $1) and $5 for handling. That's $11, generously. So, obviously they're using the shipping as a secondary profit center - $12 pure profit in your case alone.

Ugly.

#2165 3 years ago
    Quoted from Backyardace:

Perhaps the extra shipping charges are to help fund Joe’s next pinball book that he thinks you all want from the survey results!

Or maybe it's for his Hep C treatment from all the carousing. That's like $40-95k to get cured.

#2167 3 years ago

444 copies isn't much at all to ship out. If he's overcharging shipping by $12 on each one (and it seems like it's a lot more the more you got), that's $5000+ pure profit, minimum, on shipping alone.

#2191 3 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

book is apparently 4.5 pounds now

5 pounds shipped coast to coast via media mail is $4.92.

#2198 3 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I'm not one to publicly complain very quickly. But I agree with all of you that this is quite ridiculous.
    The original shipping estimate on their site was $17. And now Paperflock expect me to pay $125 for shipping for a book, a shirt and a poster. That sure feels like a rip-off. And that after a 4 year wait. For a book. Wow.
    Considering the additional import duties that I will be charged here in the Netherlands, my total will come to roughly $455. Again, that's just a book, a shirt and a poster. I'm seriously considering writing this thing off, it's just not worth that kind of money.
    I feel awful for all folks who got involved in this Kickstarter through my sticky on Pinside. Had I known what a #$% this would be...

UPS Worldwide Saver 2 day service for 6lbs from CA to Netherlands is $56.03.
    UPS Standard (slow) for 6 lbs to the Netherlands is $30.41

Impossible to see these massive shipping charge increases as anything but a surprise last-minute shakedown.

Where are these books shipping from? Does Paperflock allow pickup?

#2215 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Doesn’t look like a residence. Maybe a hotel? Mail pickup service?
    [quoted image][quoted image]

It's a mixed use building. Paperflock is registered to a space that's an apartment on the 11th floor, not the business areas. Looks like $1400/mo for a 1B/1Bath. So, likely Joe's apt or the apt of the agent for service.

Interestingly, that same apartment is registered to the business Octopotees.

#2265 3 years ago
    Quoted from master_of_chaos:

In fact, if i calculate with 2.5KG weight , USPS says it will be 85,10$ [quoted image]

Express mail is the most expensive USPS tier. You picked the wrong method.

#2266 3 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I just posted a reply on their kickstarter page. what joe doesn't realize is that buy using the usps's flat rate boxes, he's subjecting everyone to usps's flat rate charges.
    I [left handedly] let him know to get off his lazy ass and purchase the proper size generic box (which he can do through uline.com) and the shipping costs should be drastically lower.
    again, this is just another instance of them doing the least amount of effort rather than taking some time and investigating.
    additionally, using a flat rate box means that you have to use more packaging material (or probably in this case, he'll probably just ship it without any protection and the 4.5lb book ends up getting banged around, arriving all dinged and dog-eared.
    flat rate (12"x12"x5")
    [quoted image]
    vs. media mail (same size box, same origin, same destination)
    [quoted image]
    and for our international friends, here's a direct comparison with using flat rate vs. your own box which equals a $20 difference
    [quoted image]

Plus you're checking RETAIL rates. If he uses something like Endicia for a month, he can get another 15% or more off those rates.

#2269 3 years ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

Why use USPS when so expensive, it's not as if there are other carriers out there.
    How the hell can a book be classed as fragile.. if it's properly packaged you could use it as a bloody brick.
    How is the suggestion to ship it to someone in the US going to help. US backers are also complaining about the cost.
    The problem is clearly USPS, in the same way the Royal Mail is in the UK.
    For the love of all that is holy - Use a commercial carrier (Hermes, FedEx, DHL, UPS, etc, etc ), and pack and prepare it yourself.
    Justify the "couple of dollars" you are taking as a handling fee.
    I also thinks that this opens the door for a legitimate refund.
    I budgeted for a book at $55 with carriage up to $20 - $75 total.
    The fact that it is now $55 + $85 - $140 total would have counted me out immediately.
    T
    [quoted image]

Media Mail DOES NOT take "several months" to deliver. Even at the busiest time (Christmas) it can take up to 3 weeks, but that's only "up to" and it's often less. All other times of the year, Media Mail takes about 7-10 days.

To anyone that does any amount of shipping he sounds like a con man or a moron. The reality he presents is not what it's like in the real world.

#2283 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

You can't just quote media mail though.
    Look at the majority of the people complaining about $80-$100+ shipping costs... they didn't just order the book.
    Plus media mail is domestic only...

I checked international with 6 lbs and shipping with USPS or UPS was 1/2 to 1/3 what he's charging. Total shakedown.

#2285 3 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

What does a fulfillment company charge to store, kit, and ship all the packages including supplies? Not making excuses, but he ain't lifting a finger.

Depends on the company, but for such a small job (444 customers is a SMALL job), it's probably not cheap. He should be knocking this out himself in a few days to get it done. But even with a fulfillment company, he's easily pulling in another 30% profit for himself on this shipping scam. Or, he's a total moron and doesn't know how shipping works. Take your pick.

#2288 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I'm not saying his numbers are good - I'm saying you can't use the examples (in the reply i quoted) to compare with.

A page or two back I ran the weight and numbers for international through our shipping terminal and came up with like $35 UPS and $60 USPS international, so about half to a quarter of what he's quoting.

#2339 3 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

This book will be the Thunderbirds of pinball .... highly advertised, greatest ever, lots of hype, creator ends up being a jackass, finally delivers, product is crap, prices tank in the aftermarket

And yet, I still kinda want to play it - almost enough to buy one of the $3000 ones constantly changing hands.

1 week later
    #2406 3 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

5) The scope of the book sounds considerable and sounds of high quality.

The one and only "color correction" example they put up says otherwise. It was grade school-level photo work and did not bode well for the other pictures that needed work. The page samples look like game flyers. I don't expect them to admit their layout skills suck, but this interview was basically image repair, it sounds like.

#2423 3 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

Wonder if the shipping money is being used to fund the refunds until PaperFuck can get the books on Amazon or something... it just seems weird they had funds after all this time with vacations, interns, etc to process any refunds...

Yeah, seems very ponzi-scheme-ish.

#2454 3 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

Is it possible that Paperflock is a Secret Santa and everyone will get their gift before Christmas?

Maybe more like a secret...SATAN.

church-lady (resized).jpgchurch-lady (resized).jpg
    #2458 3 years ago
    Quoted from GeekedOnPinball:

The printing would cost quite a lot given the quality of what I see in the photos.

I can confidently say, having done many in China at much higher quality - hardcover with foil stamped and embossed covers with dust jackets. That the book they showed is a $2 book to print, all in, $3 max with shipping. I'm being generous with that estimate, too, given the low quantity printed, they probably paid more than I would have printing thousands.

So, no, unless they're total morons, the printing is the cheapest part of the project and it shouldn't have been much at all.

#2462 3 years ago

I have printed a number of books in China and the US and there is no way you are getting a book of this quality for a few dollars, even ordering in massive quantities is not getting you a large format book with nice paper and a hard cover, even in China. You have lost all credibility here because that’s just nonsense. You might get a small book printed for a few dollars but nothing close to this. Maybe your browser lets you time travel back to 2000 to order the book and you can get it for $3. LOL
    Also 500 books comes at a premium price, not like ordering 1,000s which is where the real price breaks kick in.

Dude, you need to get a new printer in China if you think I'm blowing smoke. I absolutely have done MANY books of this quality for that price. The last one I did was more extravagant, but almost exactly the same size as the paperflock one and was saddle stitched, included faux-leather cover with gold foil-stamped front and spine, full color dust jacket, 3 color ribbons to hold your place, and gold foil-edged pages. It was also 25% more pages than the paperflock one and more extravagant than usual, so it was $4.50/unit, all-in, delivered our warehouse (I literally looked up the invoices to make sure). I GUARANTEE it blows away the quality of whatever paperflock is fleecing people into thinking cost them a fortune to print. If I dialed back the upgrades and page count to match the paperflock one, I could have gotten that book done for $3/unit, no problem, especially if there was no rush on the sea shipping (paperflock time, FTW) and I could wait for a container remnant deal to get it from China to Oakland.

Here's a picture of a stack of them, since you're concerned about my "credibility."

ArtBook-no-dust-jacket-small (resized).jpgArtBook-no-dust-jacket-small (resized).jpg

#2464 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

Damn that looks like a lot of books. What are those?

Game art/character books.

#2469 3 years ago

I was not claiming they were spending $40 on book printing.

No, but you were claiming I was essentially lying by saying I could get that book printed and delivered for about $3 each. Remember this gem:

I have printed a number of books in China and the US and there is no way you are getting a book of this quality for a few dollars...You have lost all credibility here because that’s just nonsense.

So, yeah, that was the thrust of your message and it was total BS. You happened to be talking to someone with a LOT of experience manufacturing in China, often with deluxe books. I wasn't lying about what I've done printing similar and much better books, but that was your CLEAR implication. It was not welcome, so don't try to dial it back now. A direct apology is much less ass-like than trying to move the goalposts. You're going to look better admitting you were wrong than pretending you didn't make the accusation you did.

I personally don't care what they paid. I'm just pointing out from a position of experience with book printing overseas that they're either really stupid at printing books or lying. Take your pick.

#2471 3 years ago

I’m still shocked at the $3 yes, I figured small run high quality maybe $10-20 a book. I also mentioned the other factors previously. I have printed a lot of trade paperbacks and specialty spiral books.
    You and others insinuated they were somehow making bank on this, they clearly are not. Even if they managed a $3 print price.

You can be shocked. You cannot, however, imply I'm a liar and expect me to ignore it. And I would not call what I've seen of the book they did "high quality." It looks average at best.

I don't think I ever said they were making bank. But they certainly are wasting money left and right. The grade school photo retouching sample they supplied that was TERRIBLE is another clue that they had little idea what they're doing. You can't make those kinds of mistakes when you're working with a small budget.

#2473 3 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Just curious, vireland what is the MSRP of your book and where can it be purchased?

You can't buy just the book, sorry. It's just one component of a deluxe PS4/PSVita video game release I did.

1 week later
    #2504 3 years ago

It's nice to see that they really spent a lot of time making the pictures look consistent and great like they said they were going to with photo retouching.

But that's not the worst of it - did they REALLY go to print calling George Takei "George Taki"? REALLY? No one proofed this in ALL THE EXTRA TIME they had available?? Can't wait to see what raw treasures are on the other pages...

paperflock-sample.jpgpaperflock-sample.jpg

#2521 3 years ago
    Quoted from Backyardace:

If I had to guess, I would say Joe is shipping them to save money. Now we know why we were all charged to store the books.

I sent a 2.1lb book coast to coast media mail (with tracking) 12/15 for $3.86, that is scheduled to arrive the day after Christmas. 11 days, coast to coast, WITH tracking for $3.86 at the BUSIEST TIME OF THE YEAR for USPS. Figure $1 for the literature mailer I used (I'm sure you could do better than retail) and it's less than $5 cost, all-in, PROVEN in the real world, to ship a book larger/heavier that the paperflock one.

Their excuses and overcharging because of them are TOTAL SCAMMY BS.

#2537 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

Well what have we got...I see the Paperflucks with some photos of boxes...

If they're REALLY shipping from the post office retail counter and using priority mail flat rate boxes, they are enormous morons. With 400+ orders, they should be using endicia and a Zebra label printer (total hardware/software investment $150-$175, recoup $100+ selling the zebra printer when they're done) to save the post office time and them substantial money. I can't believe they're really this stupid.

#2543 3 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

agreed
    they're using usps flat rate boxes because they're cheap asses. this way they don't have to expend any funds for the shipping boxes (rathcr than determine the proper size boxes based on what people's pledges and purchase multiples sizes from uline).

But they're not saving money at all. The medium flat rate box, coast to coast is $15.05, using the "free" USPS box. As I just tested with a real book, a 3lb book, sent media mail with tracking arrives in 11 days and cost $3.85, a difference of $11.20 on EACH shipment. Figure $1.20 for a correct-sized book-mailer box and some protective wrap, and they'd still come ahead $10 on EACH shipment. Let's say 300 of the 400 are just books, that's $3000 savings. And if USPS loses 3% of the domestic packages, that's 9 books, I'm sure the $3000 they saved would be enough to send out 9 replacements. It's like they've never managed shipping before. Makes no sense the way they're doing it.

#2548 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Why do you assume those boxes only contain books?

It's impossible to know what the split of book-only to book and extras is, but even if they had to do TWO packages (one for the heavy book media mail, and one for the small extra or extras) that would TOTAL less than $10 (again, I checked on the extra coast to coast accessory package cost), still saving them $5 per shipment. And international is why I said 300 books instead of 400-something they sold. Figured 25% were international. And batching these using Excel or something into books-only and books + extras, then printing labels in batches would make this a lot faster than 10-20 shipments a day.

#2553 3 years ago
    Quoted from RebelGuitars:

They said on Franchi's podcast that they would not be using Media Mail due to not being trackable.

Which is a total lie. That book I shipped media mail to test delivery times last week has full tracking. 3lbs, coast to coast, at Christmas - the worst time for media mail, in 11 days, with tracking included. $3.85.

#2555 3 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I wonder how many refunds will be issued due to parcels being lost or the books simply damaged because one wrap of little bubble bubble wrap isn't going to do anything to protect a 6lb+ book.

Have they said that book is 6lbs? It looks more like a 2-pounder to me. 6 pounds would be much thicker.

#2564 3 years ago
    Quoted from audihere:

Got my book today [quoted image]

Is NASCAR represented on the cover? I don't see it, but I do see the Dale Jr and Grand Prix variants...

What are the dimensions?

#2587 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Those 2 pages look better. Shame they tried to cram so much on the game pages.

And they did such a terrible job on the historical photos. They had YEARS to fix them so there was some consistency and did pretty close to nothing.

#2605 3 years ago
    Quoted from waymon:

Anyone know where these are shipping from? I have a weird pre shipment and I have not gotten any info about my shipment. [quoted image]

DeJoy's barely functional version of the USPS has taken to not scanning packages and just throwing them on trucks - they've admitted this started last Summer, supposedly to save time (hint:it doesn't). So it's possible this is already enroute to you and just wasn't scanned at the post office where it was dropped off.

1 week later
    #2674 3 years ago

So was the NASCAR missing from the cover (they got the Dale Jr reskin on there) just another mistake?

Anyone with the book verify that George Takei is spelled wrong on top left of the page with his picture playing pinball? It looked like "Taki" but the resolution was low, so...

#2679 3 years ago

Ice-Cold-FreezeOtto (resized).jpgIce-Cold-FreezeOtto (resized).jpg

Still, not as brutal as it could have been...

#2681 3 years ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

As for spelling mistakes 'Taki' is on pg 20, by then the spelling or grammatical mistakes must be into 3 figures!
    [quoted image]

It's not like they didn't have at least months or years to proof this stuff...

#2693 3 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

nice writeup. it really begs the point of just who reviewed this before taking it to press?? the way that certain things are called out would have been shot down by even freshman editors.
    examples:
    Indiana Jones pinball holds in one game all four successful movies dedicated to the George Lucas’ character. In fact on the playfield there is an area dedicated to each of the four episodes: one part is reserved for "Raiders of the Lost Ark", one part for "Temple of Doom", another one to "Last Crusade" and finally one part dedicated to the last title: "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull".

I think the main point of that page pic was the giant "NOTEWORHTY" heading, which is a bigger problem than the bad, 3rd grade book report writing below it.

#2702 3 years ago
    Quoted from Durzel:

Indeed, you’re correct, however the book disagrees...
    [quoted image]

Well, that does seem noteworhty.

1 week later
    #2723 3 years ago

This Kickstarter has been pretty crap, but there have been and continue to be great ones. This Flipper Zero one has had great communication and really good progress since it started and is looking close to being done to delivering a really cool gadget that you would never have seen at retail. If this is the only Kickstarter you've ever backed, I wouldn't let it dissuade you from backing other weird/quirky/promising things there.

#2728 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

That's a pretty serious piece of hardware by the looks. Love how it was improved from proto to production. THats how it should work.
    This Stern book is literally an advertorial - reminds me of something a company would give new customers to try an win their business. Or one of those free hotel compendiums that are funded by the advertisers.

Yeah, I'm super-excited to get it and start playing with it. The amount of open wireless commercial devices in the world around us is pretty crazy, and it communicates with a lot of them easily (that's the pitch, at least). Is it practical? Maybe not. But I think I can have a lot of fun trying it out in the world.

1 week later
    #2757 3 years ago
    Quoted from VegasAlleycat:

Anybody else think it was unusual to alphabetize by first name rather than last name?

They didn't even normalize the capitalization, so there were a lot of steps missed.

#2763 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Wow, that really sounds questionable. Clearly the money isn’t there so where’s it going to come from? What’s going to change in the near future and what do they need to work on?

Next round of stimulus checks from the government??

1 week later
    #2772 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Gone quiet again in here. Run out of money again?

Government stimulus checks they were counting on for postage are delayed.

#2785 3 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

I didn't even have to pay extra for the Blu-Ray copy of "Insert Coin" Kickstarter. Shipped via Media Mail. So yeah they scammed us with "wE cAn'T sHiP mEdIa MaiL".
    [quoted image]

So they shipped "we can't do it" media mail after all, for $4 per package with tracking. How much did they shipping overcharges did they pocket making this swap?

#2787 3 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

No read what I posted. This is for another Kickstarter.

Ah, that's what I get for skimming. But I shipped a book heavier than the pinball one media mail coast to coast for about that same price WITH tracking and it was delivered in 11 days AT CHRISTMAS, the worst time for Media Mail. So them saying they can't do it is a total lie, at least for US customers.

#2789 3 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

They never said they COULDN'T use media mail, they said they didn't WANT to use media mail. The paper flock guys said that they thought the books were less likely to be lost using Priority Shipping.

I believe their stated main reason for not using it was that you couldn't get tracking for media mail, which was a total lie.

#2810 3 years ago

If it were their money and their order they would want a damn estimate of when they can ship. My wife and I could have shipped four hundred packages in a couple weeks.

Not if you were schlepping them to the retail post office counter 10 at a time, shipping like it was your first encounter with the world of postage.

1 week later
    #2820 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinmaniac:

I just got an email from Emma saying that the Dickies-Jackets are now being substituted with sweatshirts due to them being on perpetual back order.

This whole project is a complete fail of their circle jerk Risks and Challenges disclosure that wasn't even really a R&C disclosure at all:

"Risks and challenges
    We have experience delivering Kickstarter rewards and publishing books. We know the importance of preparation for the tough tasks of production and shipping. We know if this campaign is successful there will be many challenges ahead, but we also know that we will meet the challenges head on and not be satisfied until the product is amazing and people get more than what they hoped for."

#2827 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Relax, Joe was busy today getting his Covid shot as posted on social media. Best, Emma, accompanied him per the photo.

Makes sense. They have to live to grift another day.

Allegedly.

#2832 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Wouldn’t want them dying of Covid before they issue my refund.

Maybe they got the dumbreka vaccine...

#2839 3 years ago
    Quoted from BackFlipper:

Got my package today and it included the Dickie's jacket.

Picture? I'm interested to see what it looks like.

#2842 3 years ago
    Quoted from BackFlipper:

Here you go (Jacket is black):

Thanks for posting. That looks great. Can you tell if the art is screened on or just an iron on decal?

If people get a sweatshirt instead of this, they will be triple-pissed.

#2845 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinmaniac:

Yes, I am triple pissed. I got my zip up hoodie sweatshirt today. Pathetic.

Let's get a picture of that!

So what was the delineation point of people getting nerfed to sweatshirts vs getting the promised jackets? Did they just run out of money to buy and print the jackets? It was only a handful of them for the whole kickstarter, wasn't it?

#2847 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinmaniac:

Ah, so same art, just printed on a much cheaper medium. Got it. Thanks for posting. You have a right to be pissed.

#2852 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinmaniac:

The Zombie LE x2. Yes, I now have two hoodies.

So apparently the extra $175 for the Slash version (11 backers) guaranteed a jacket wasn't downgraded to a hoodie like the Yeti-LE (19 backers) ones. So 19 people apparently really got screwed. Wow. Lame.

#2888 3 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Truth? LOL[quoted image]

The irony of that risks and challenges section is it doesn't actually articulate the risks and challenges of the project. Just says they know what they're doing and you'll get more than you expect. Par for the course.

#2891 3 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

I got my Street Fighter boardgame in on Friday and it's easily one of the best, if not, the coolest boardgames or KS thing I have ever done.

Yeah, I was following that one. They got some exquisite work done on those figurines. Really first-class, and great communication with their backers throughout the process.

#2897 3 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Still super shady to me that the Slash people got Dickies and the LE’s got SweatShirts. They lie about the availability. Pure and simply they screwed us to save $$$

Seems like that's different than the non-delivery Kickstarter and provable fraud because they are clearly lying about availability of the jacket and preferring one class of purchases over the other. Small claims is $30 in CA. Seems like it would worth it to gamble on the fraud angle and get money back for the jacket, since it can be proven they're lying due to the Slash tier getting the jackets they say are not available. They're not traveling to wherever you are to defend a $100 judgment.

#2908 3 years ago
    Quoted from MIL:

Well.... I'm in two frames of mind at the moment .
    I received my book / package today .
    I'm one of those people (suckers) who went for the SLASH package .
    I'm stoked that I finally received something for my money .
    BUT...
    My SLASH package came with the sweatshirt / hoodie and NOT the Dickies jacket as other Slash package backers have received !!
    I got the email about not being able to get the Dickies jackets ( LIES !! ) but when people who backed the Slash level were getting them I thought I might of got one anyway .
    Going to send them an email and let them know what I think but I'm not expecting anything other than excuses and lies from this bunch of arseclowns .

Wow, that's TERRIBLE. Max level and you didn't get the jacket like other Slash-level supporters did. Crazy. Another new low.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.