2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,723 posts
  • 155 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by fanuminski
  • Topic is favorited by 54 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 142 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

4de350223ec5f4a65dd744a81143315d13f5eff7 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20191014-082851 (resized).jpg
    F96F5F7F-E004-4227-97CE-4C7FC90BA3B8 (resized).jpeg
    Ice-Cold-FreezeOtto (resized).jpg
    12935AB1-8341-4A23-BD65-969BDE0F8CF6 (resized).jpeg
    D372D606-6750-4D00-9EC0-F4EFA1BFF7A1 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9C2AD636-36BD-4D6A-A874-8EA866DB79F6 (resized).png
    D3567EF1-8AFB-4A38-94A3-2A6E299AA4DD (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    FC0E6D9B-1F86-4FAA-9DDE-17B8013B8A43 (resized).png
    9CD930D6-29B8-415E-B261-DBC753850765 (resized).png
    5FC4F29B-70D3-4D2D-9761-77E664C547CD (resized).png
    jpopstapler (resized).jpg
    4314337112e6281868e685e7622c8d74_original (resized).png
    98c6d895b5574ecd7a2c342566a9a8f2_original (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #2 Link to Kickstarter project. Posted by ForceFlow (2 years ago)

Post #74 Feedback on Stern editorial control. Posted by JoeDP (2 years ago)

Post #109 Talk about editorial choices. Posted by JoeDP (2 years ago)

Post #120 Confirmation that Batman 66 will be in the book. Posted by JoeDP (2 years ago)

Post #123 Poster(s) shipping arrangements clarified. Posted by JoeDP (2 years ago)

Post #130 Project update announced. Posted by JoeDP (2 years ago)

Post #785 December update from publisher - and promise of further updates Posted by Matesamo (1 year ago)

Post #913 JoeDP says copy for book has been approved Posted by JoeDP (1 year ago)

Post #1005 Update from Kickstarter page on book project Posted by KLR2014 (1 year ago)

Post #1337 Well written complaint to Stern. Posted by j_m_ (9 months ago)

Post #1482 March 12 backer update Posted by cooked71 (7 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballlew.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from Speckstippe:

No, it's not just a crazy idea by two enthusiasts milking the pinball cow. The project was officially announced and advertised by Stern at the factory tour last week and the 30th anniversary party.

Stern's FB page has a video about it as well.

#104 2 years ago

Any chance you can raise the number of super LE pledges from 30 to 80?

#136 2 years ago

I am in thanks!

#151 2 years ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

I've been through a lot of Kickstarter / crowdfunding campaigns.
    We are doing very well for the stage we are at, 33% of the way funded in about 20% of the campaign duration.
    And we have some exciting new things to announce soon!

Looking forward to the upcoming announcements.

#160 2 years ago

They have one Super LE backer for it now.

3 weeks later
    #180 2 years ago
    Quoted from citerne:

Only 19 days left. Be ready ! The project is now over $32,600 funded of $50,000 goal. Join in the effort and own a part of history here : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paperflock/keeping-the-ball-alive-30-years-of-stern-pinball

Correct link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paperflock/keeping-the-ball-alive-30-years-of-stern-pinball

#181 2 years ago

Do you think this will fund? Guess we won't reach the cutaway pages goal...bummed about that.

1 week later
    #196 2 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

fingers crossed that if stern kicks in, they kick in an additional 25K as well so that we all get that sweet transparent layers section

Stern would need to kick in 50K as that is the second stretch goal.

#198 2 years ago

I think it will fund on it's own but I do think Stern will kick in a bit if they need to.

#201 2 years ago

14k to go in 9 days...yeah I think this will fund. What does OP think about this funding at this point since they have other kickstarter experience in this area?

#204 2 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

I'm interested, but what knocked me off the fence is that on top of the 55 bucks for the book, I have to kick in another 13 for shipping. I'm OK with the price of the book, but shipping is ridiculous.

Pledge and I will paypal gift you $13 as a Christmas gift if it funds in 9 days.

#206 2 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

Thanks dude, but no way I'd accept that. Very cool of you!

I like doing things like this it is a win win...I feel good doing it. You feel good and all the people that wish this book to fund is that much closer so it potentially affects (<is this the correct usage of affects or is it effects...I never can get that straight LOL) a lot of people in a positive way.

#215 2 years ago

6 days left 11k to go

#246 2 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

Wrong, essentially Joe has stated Stern has full editorial control, so yes essentially Stern is the author, and we all know how Stern operates when they have control...
    If this book was 100% controlled by Paperflock then I would have no criticisms about the book, about using Kickstarter, about the price, about the viewpoint, etc. BUT once you turn over control to Stern then all that goes out the window and this project is BS. Plus, I believe backers will be disappointed. Stern never delivers honesty in writing...

This is a coffee table book that highlights Stern for 30 years. This is not a investigative form of literature or tell all book. Joe has been honest and upfront from the beginning, you don't like it move on with your life or write a tell all book yourself.

#259 2 years ago

I guess these kickstarters do pick up at the end...cool

#261 2 years ago

Yes I am in at $125

#262 2 years ago

I might increase it to $225 was hoping that the ZY artwork would be shown first though

#265 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

If you pledge $110 for Pro Book, you get two?
    id like to get two Pro books. Thanks

I would think you just would pledge $55 twice.

#266 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

I would think you just would pledge $55 twice.

Yeah I don't know how you go about this...I was trying to figure it out but could not.

#268 2 years ago
    Quoted from puck:

From past kickstarts you have to create two accounts or the creator of that project needs to add a level. Could be wrong. I am sure Joe can jump in here, maybe they get funded and add an option to buy another one.

This makes the most sense. Thanks!

#277 2 years ago

I would also hope that they include Keith P. Johnson who did some awesome programming and game design. Did a lot for Stern and was very influential with games such as TSPP and LOTR in the early 2000's.

#281 2 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I really wanted this to be included in the book. I remember as a kid having a set of encyclopedia's and one of them had the peel away layers pages for the human body. It was really cool to see the nerves and muscles and bones and organs all on different layers. No way will they get another 50k in time, but I would pay extra for my copy to get those pages
    --------------------------------
    Stretch Goal #2: See how it’s made!
    $100,000 - Did you know a modern Stern pinball machine has over 3,000 individual parts!?! Ever wonder how they go about packing so many great features and fun into a single title's playfield? At this funding level we will take you inside a pinball machine, adding translucent overlapping pages to reveal how a playfield is populated, layer by layer!

Yes I was hoping these could be done....I think it would be the coolest thing...but I highly doubt this pledging will double Christmas miracle?

#297 2 years ago
    Quoted from Cursed:

Just found out about this and went to the site to watch the video. Looks great I thought!
    Read the descriptions of each book and thought depending on cost ill go for a LE book, read the pledge levels and saw LE book for $125 and thought why not. Its a bit pricey but its Christmas!
    Go to click it and they are sold out? what? Am I missing something here, they have not even been made yet?
    Read more and realise there are limited numbers for each level, and the next one that has the LE book is $225!
    Such a shame......

I think it is a safe bet that if you bought one for $225 that you could sale the ZY print for the $100 to break even or even possibly more.

#310 2 years ago

I am so glad this funded as I am really looking forward to this book.

#313 2 years ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

Hey Scott, I answered this in our pm too, but I think we will end up printing all of the limited books, but I don't believe they will go up for sale. But yes all of the printing we are planning to do for these editions of the books are a one time thing, at least the way we are currently intending to do the printing.

What would you do with all the extra LE books then?

#337 2 years ago

I too think Stern has raised prices and made a lot of cost saving moves and have money grabbed quite a bit. I also think they have some awesome games out now and are addressing QC issues. They are also among the cheapest now for pins even with this price increase. A premium is $6700 to your door. Only other competitor that is that cheap is Spooky...who I think is a great company.

I don't agree that any of these machines should cost this much and I do believe the price is killing pinball on location. All the manufacturers are guilty of this and without a serious adjustments pinball will only be profitable in select areas. The bottom line prices are sky high among all the manufacturers. Gary says we must support location pinball to keep pinball relevant then increases prices that hurts operators...doesn't make sense to me. Where is his support for the OP's?

Code has become a issue on some games and the time it takes to get them complete, but they do seem to come through for the most part and lets face it games now are not very simple code wise and take a lot more man hours to program then they once did. Look at all the games that are recent and pretty much code complete now for Stern. I would say the majority are pretty damn good and fun as they sit now. This boils down to the employees that make it happen for Stern and these games.

I do know this though...Stern makes great games that are fun and although I from the sideline think they could do things better in a lot of areas...I think they do a pretty good job and create lots of good games.

#376 2 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

What would be awesome and make the book worth the max level contribution would be if Stern used it as the media to finally release their production numbers of their out of production machines.

I would love that but let me just say...it is not going to happen.

#390 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

As a member of the 444 I hope they make one for anyone who wants one.
    I hope it's successful enough that we get a B/W 90s book next. This may be the last time we have so many of the artists and engineers all in one place. If the Stern project goes well a BW project would get 1000s of donors.

I hope this leads into more books about pinball! As a member of the 444 I would love to support a BW project also! Would love to see a Capcom book and behind the scences story as well.

#392 2 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Are you familiar with Pinball Magazine? According to many those issues are more like a book.

Yes I have bought them and enjoy them...well not the newest issue yet.

#396 2 years ago

Has there been a pingame journal since the Barenaked ladies issue? That is the last one I have received?

5 months later
    #469 2 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

On top of not being updated--what happened to all the input we were supposed to have? I was hesitant to get involved with this in the first place--this book had better be good.

I'm sure if you have any ideas you could pm Joe here or post here or on the other forum. I personally don't have any ideas, I just wish they would do the see through layered pages.

#471 2 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

The other forum has been a nightmare from day one--I finally gave up.

Gotcha, I would just suggest something here.

2 weeks later
    #507 2 years ago

I think that the opportunity of "following some of the new titles’ production through to completion" is less about what titles they are following but about documenting the process from conception to the finished product. That is my take on what they meant.

I guess I can live with it but would like to be compensated by them including the transparent overlay described in their stretch goal

#511 2 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Don't these things always take longer than planned? I'm not surprised about a delay. Better to take some extra time and make an amazing book (rather than being on time but publishing something mediocre).
    The only thing lacking so far is the communication about the project, in all honesty. Some teaser images every now and then would be nice. That normally makes the whole Kickstarter experience a lot more fun for me.
    On a positive note, I did find the book intro text they posted to be pretty well written, and I am very much looking forward to this book.

Thats good to know about the intro being well written, I didn't want to read it and will wait for the book in my hand.

#516 2 years ago

Personally the delay doesn't really bother me at all. I guess the older I get the faster time seems to go so five months isn't that big of a deal for a book. Now if this was a NIB pinball machine it would probably bother me.

#527 2 years ago

I am a backer times 2 for the LE book and Zombieyeti artwork package and like I said before this is a book, I don't feel worried that they won't follow through and deliver what's promised. I looked into their track record before I decided to back them and went into this knowing that there is a risk. If you are using kickstarter you should know the risks. Them taking 5 more months for a better overall book I am ok with, I have zero worries that they will fail and not deliver.

Seems most the people complaining are non backers for what reason besides inciting I have no clue.

#538 2 years ago

I would say the price point of a preorder pinball versus a preorder book makes comparing the two a lot different.

#540 2 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

ok, so running off with $125 is cool but $250 is not.
    Glad we have a measuring stick for this

No nothing is cool with running off with any money. I just don't see this kickstarter going that way. I don't have any doubt that they will deliver. I believe they will albeit delayed. I thought that people have thousands deposited with heighway and Dutch? I didn't realize it was $250.

#544 2 years ago

I also think the entry point for this kickstarter was $55 or something like that to receive a "pro"

3 months later
    #633 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Bally didn't use a Kickstarter campaign for their 65th or 75th Anniversary books.

How good are these books? Worth ordering?

#662 2 years ago
    Quoted from Backyardace:

Someone should ask Zombie Yeti if he has heard from Joe.

OK, he's semi active on the forums. I believe he reads more then posts, I'll ask. Hey zombieyeti have you heard from Joe? Have you already designed the posters that are to be delivered with the higher tiers? Thanks.

#664 2 years ago
    Quoted from xRose_of_Aragonx:

Interesting perspective from some.
    Unfortunately, I have no male anatomy parts on my body.
    I really hope this is not how you treat other women.
    My thoughts, as I am entitled, are if everyone here understood the risks, complaining about what has not happened does not make a lot of sense. Clearly that was not the case, as reviewing the KickStarter campaign shows. 78 people provide more than $125, 32 over $225, and 19 over $325, based on very limited details of the release date and full definition of the content of this book.
    If a person understands book publishing, yes, it is certainly normal to have delays, but lack of communication is a primary failure. Two months is a long time for a writer to not provide an update on a public project. That is why many writers do not use public forums for book projects until after the transcript is at least somewhat prepared.
    Once again, I hope everyone gets their book.

None of this really has bothered me. I think Joe will produce the book and that is all that matters to me in the end. Life happens is all I am saying. I'm more bummed that the transparent overlays are not going to make it in..I was hoping that goal would have been hit as they sounded incredible!

Updates are nice but I don't need them every step of the way. Heck if I receive the book next year sometime, I will be happy. Life's to short to get worked up over trivial stuff.

1 week later
    #710 2 years ago

Just was emailed an update

Kickstarter

October Update
    Posted by PaperFlock Inc (Creator)
    Hello Kickstarter Backers!
    We hope some of you are having a fun Expo!
    We are wanted to let you all know that we are still working away at the book! All of the text for the book has been written! We have hired Amanda Hudgins to edit the book! She is an amazing editor who has worked with Zack, our writer, before!
    The full text has been sent to the good folks at Stern to look over and give notes. As you can imagine they have been a bit busy leading up to Expo though.
    But we are plowing through our design phase anyway!
    Here are some sample layout designs:

We are so excited to get through the final stages of this project and get books out to everyone!
    As always, thank you all for your support! Dameon & Joe, the Paperflock team

IMG_1373 (resized).PNG
    IMG_1374 (resized).PNG

IMG_1376 (resized).PNG
    IMG_1378 (resized).PNG
    IMG_1377 (resized).PNG

1 month later
    #725 1 year ago

I hope I get it before Sterns 35th anniversary. I kid I kid

2 weeks later
    #761 1 year ago

Currently this is my most expensive ornament, and I have two of them.

D7E036D2-4C57-4BC0-8E95-A5AA8BA35E30 (resized).jpeg

#765 1 year ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

No worries if you did not receive this highly sought after collector ornament, as mine is available for the low bargain price of $55, (plus shipping).

Lucky, I have two $225 versions.

#769 1 year ago

Yes if they did decide to put the layered dissection pages of a pinball and that is the reason for the delay I would be exstatic!

1 month later
    #852 1 year ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

I thought the translucent pages was a given? Wasn't it on the list of features during the sales campaign?

No it wasn’t listed as a feature at the funding level they reached. It was listed as a stretch* goal if they sold more.

*It was Stretch goal number 2 which needed to fund $100k (almost double what they did fund). Here is a photo from the Kickstarter page

31C1873D-E108-4F34-A42D-D4A04A40844A (resized).png

#854 1 year ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Ok, good to know. And obviously the stretch wasn't achieved?

Correct, I added more to the previous post.

#857 1 year ago
    Quoted from vireland:

$25k stretch for enamel pins? That seems silly. Those are ridiculously inexpensive to make and should have probably been included at the T-shirt level.

Of the few kickstarters I have seen the stretch goals are no where near the cost associated to fulfill them. It seems like a money grab to me that every Kickstarter has.

10 months later
    #1274 10 months ago

Like my $150 ornament? #mostexpensiveornamentever

image (resized).jpg

#1275 10 months ago

I liked it so much I bought 2 of them...have one not even opened *RARE* (I know your jealous j_m_

image (resized).jpg

1 month later
    #1382 9 months ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

if I do "proper" math, with joe's new estimate of 1,500 hrs is equivalent to another 9 months before this sh*t will be completed (at the earliest
    and remember kids, this doesn't include layout time, writing time, vacation time, photographing time, travel time, more vacation time, negotiating time, other time, and even more vacation time
    I really wish that more backers (other than myself) would start posting their displeasure on how this project has failed on some many fronts

I guess since I bought two of these I should be more upset. I just think so much time went by that I am over it. Disappointed in the wait but I still believe it will be finished, as Joe is still posting updates although way to infrequent throughout this fiasco. I am just bummed that it won’t have the clear see thru dissection of a pinball machine pages, That idea just sounded so cool to me and brought out my inner child, you know like a pinball machine does.

#1422 8 months ago

I paid twice for the paper Christmas ornament LE version.

3 weeks later
    #1439 8 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Joe insists the book is almost done......
    [quoted image]

What are these pictures and where are you getting them?

#1450 7 months ago

Does anyone want to purchase one of my preorder spots? Comes complete with an unopened Christmas ornament!

#1460 7 months ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

that all depends, are you [paying] people to take the spot (and the anguish that goes with it?

Did you mean praying and not paying?

#1463 7 months ago

I know this is not really related to the Stern book, but I didn’t wish to start a seperate thread on this. This book fiasco then this leaves me a bit bitter. Sphero is doing a kickstarter for a new toy of theirs? That is just absurd if you ask me. They have the money to fund this themselves

7898E1BF-FCE7-4667-9AF9-BE1604ED47A2 (resized).png
    #1465 7 months ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Some kickstarters are more about showing outside investors that there is interest in the product. If you can prove that people want the product via a successful kickstarter, some venture capitalists are much more willing to open their wallet to make a more substantial investment.
    Kickstarter is basically free money with few strings attached. Why not take people's money, get some cheap marketing, and prove to investors that you have a product people want?

Ahh that makes sense.

1 week later
    #1470 7 months ago

Maybe this guy should write a different kind of book on traveling and a guide on picking up chicks.

2 months later
    #1610 5 months ago

I think it will take at least an additional two years for the stapler design to be finished. It sure will look cool but won’t work worth a darn.

3 months later
    #1706 34 days ago

I can’t believe I will still have to cough up shipping on two books if this gets made

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 150.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 229.99
    $ 15.75
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 64.00
    $ 35.00
    $ 625.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Gweem's Mods
    $ 169.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 209.99
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 144.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    € 159.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    FlipperLED
    $ 50.00
    $ 115.00
    Playfield - Other
    Great American Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballlew.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside