Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2 Link to Kickstarter project. Posted by ForceFlow (7 years ago)

Post #74 Feedback on Stern editorial control. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #109 Talk about editorial choices. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #120 Confirmation that Batman 66 will be in the book. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #123 Poster(s) shipping arrangements clarified. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #130 Project update announced. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #502 Backer update Posted by Matesamo (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider max_badazz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#279 7 years ago

I really wanted this to be included in the book. I remember as a kid having a set of encyclopedia's and one of them had the peel away layers pages for the human body. It was really cool to see the nerves and muscles and bones and organs all on different layers. No way will they get another 50k in time, but I would pay extra for my copy to get those pages

--------------------------------

Stretch Goal #2: See how it’s made!

$100,000 - Did you know a modern Stern pinball machine has over 3,000 individual parts!?! Ever wonder how they go about packing so many great features and fun into a single title's playfield? At this funding level we will take you inside a pinball machine, adding translucent overlapping pages to reveal how a playfield is populated, layer by layer!

#355 7 years ago

I backed the book .... 55 bucks for something cool about pinball. I just wish we could have made it to the layered pages, but oh well.

5 months later
    #519 6 years ago

I don't mind a delay....what annoys me was they had plenty of communication prior to the deadline.....then boom! Nothing after that. I have about 20 Kickstarters backed and all of them give constant updates, even if its a quick status. At least the pinball card game came way early, so it makes up for this uber-late book.

Maybe if they threw in the clear pages that peel away layers of a pinball machine, that would make up for this huge delay (hint hint)

#546 6 years ago

Since the book is delayed, I decided to back a few more things on Kickstarter to keep me busy

Card and dice games..... lots to choose from

6 months later
    #826 6 years ago

I've backed 30+ Kickstarters ..... about 85% run behind schedule..... 100% (excluding this Stern book) give frequent and honest updates about progress (even when they are at fault for the delay). All they need to do is send us updates and explain how things are going. Radio silence implies issues that may jeopardize the project

1 month later
    #843 6 years ago

You know what would smooth everything over with everyone...... adding the translucent overlapping pages of the insides of a pinball machine

I mean, those would look fantastic in the book

#870 6 years ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

Yes we looked into the transparent pages, yes they are VERY expensive, and the conclusion we came to was we needed to sell a lot of books to justify the cost.

I was half kidding when I suggested it .... I knew you didn't hit the 100k milestone to make it happen. I remember as a kid I had a set of encyclopedia books (old school info) and there was a peel away body with all of the innards on each sheet (the muscle page was freaky). It's a cool feature, but not a deal breaker with the book.... I look forward to getting the book on my coffee table

5 months later
    #1042 5 years ago
    KS_stern_laughing (resized).pngKS_stern_laughing (resized).png
    4 weeks later
    #1076 5 years ago
    Quoted from puck:

I can’t imagine that Pinside will get much traction.

I posted on July 18th on Kickstarter and there's been nothing since .... no traction there as well

#1104 5 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

I’m gonna flip mine—figure I can get at least $30 for it. Plus shipping, of course...

Why not sell your spot and get $50 ... it works for the crazy TNA prices on Pinside

#1110 5 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Those ordering Pinball Magazine No. 5 will put Pinball Magazine No. 5 aside, take a look at the Stern book, put it away and continue reading in Pinball Magazine No. 5

Don't you mean Pinball Magazine #8?

1 month later
    #1152 5 years ago

Stern will release a Tron VE with LE features for a pro price before this book gets finished (yes I am making fun of yet another Tron VE thread that has popped up)

2 weeks later
    #1187 5 years ago

You can't finish what hasn't been started

1 month later
    #1265 5 years ago

This just popped up in KS:

Hello Kickstarter Backers,

I know you guys are waiting for an update. I'm sorry we have been quiet this month, but I promise we have been making progress!

This is just a micro-update to let you know that we will be posting a bigger update on Monday!

Thanks for your patience, Joe and Dameon, and the Paperflock Team

1 month later
    #1380 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

this means that studio quality photos already exist and stern probably doesn't feel like troubling themselves to go through their own archives and find them

Stern already gave them tons of CD's with images and pictures .... that was last fall (1.5 yrs after they were supposed to finish the book). There's no way they needed pictures of any DMD era Stern game.

#1393 5 years ago

I say this half kidding ..... it would be nice for them to add the clear peel away parts pages as a token of "We're sorry....we had no clue how to make a book, we lied about everything, and are especially sorry for releasing the book 4.5 yrs late"

It amazes me that Kickstarter projects of complex games or electronics can be engineered, designed, prototyped, tested, produced, shipped on a slow ass boat from China, and sent to people in 1/2 the time that these "authors" can partially make a few pages of a book with every bit of information and pictures readily available to them to use.

3 months later
    #1521 4 years ago

>>We have a meeting with Stern to review pages next week.

That was in March. I wonder if Stern can confirm that they met with him?

#1522 4 years ago

>>but you haven't seen a pinball book like this before, we promise!

Well he didn't lie here Haven't seen a book like it yet

1 week later
    #1581 4 years ago

With all of this delay, none of the "newer" games will appear (GotG, SW, Aerosmith, BK3, Munsters, Deadpool, Beatles, and Iron Maiden)

I'd be happy with these games in the old format just to get them in the book LOL

#1585 4 years ago

That was my point ... so many games have come out and a simple picture book still has not

1 month later
    #1634 4 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

So I guess it will mostly be a cramp-as-many-images-as-we-can-fit-on-a-page book, without any eye for detail.

BINGO! This is exactly what its looking like

1 month later
    #1648 4 years ago

We want to make this book as jam-packed as we possibly can, but that means some of these layouts are taking twice as long!

It's because with many of these more recent machines we have SO much material and we are trying to squeeze as much as we can into the layouts!

Check out this layout for Simpson's Pinball Party, which has over 40 elements!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1649 4 years ago

They are right about squeezing in as much as possible on a page ...... damn

#1652 4 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Yeh but we can get pictures from google images, what I was hoping for was more about the story of building these games...

I don't think there's going to be much substance beyond 40 pictures per page layout

#1660 4 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Time for another Paperflock flash poll:
    Do you want us to take another 3 years and write some interesting text for the book? Yes/No

As of now, I'll take it as is...just to have something. Stories would be nice, but I don't want to wait until Black Knight 7 comes out

5 months later
    #1826 4 years ago

They should hand deliver each book to personally say sorry for the massive delay.

waynesw (resized).PNGwaynesw (resized).PNG
    #1832 4 years ago

Does COD still exist? That would be a good option for everyone so they don't have to pay for shipping up front and never see the book

1 week later
    #1845 4 years ago

I ended up getting almost every Stern flyer (most I had already, the rest I bought), put them in plastic sleeves, and made a three-ring binder with all the games. Also have a ton of Sega/DE/Bally/Williams/Gottlieb so its a Stern book plus others. Cost way less than this KS book and it's already on my table in the game room

1 month later
    #1881 4 years ago

Thank you! (and you... and you... and you...)
    March 10, 2020

Hi everyone!

We’re nearing the end of the process and getting ready to finalize the book before it goes to print. To do so, we need one more thing from you (don’t worry, it’s not a big deal).

We need everyone’s name for the thank you section. Since there are so many of you generous backers, we’ll be pulling these from Kickstarter on Monday, March 16. Please make sure your name or username on Kickstarter is exactly how you’d like it to appear in the acknowledgements by Monday the 16th.

To view and update your name, sign on to Kickstarter and click on your Avatar in the upper right corner.

Select “Settings” from the menu.
    Under settings, click on the “Edit profile” tab
    Change your name in the “Name” feld
    Click the blue “Save settings” button at the bottom of the screen
    We’re almost there! Thank you so much for your support and patience while we work to bring you the definitive history of Stern Pinball.

Best,

Joe and Dameon, and the Paperflock team

#1885 4 years ago

Hugh Jass, I.P. Freely, Decan Yamouth, Won Hung Lo, and of course my favorite..... Jack Schitt

2 weeks later
    #1895 4 years ago

$12500 for my spot ... worth it as it's more rare than a Rick & Morty spot for $12k

3 months later
    #1945 3 years ago
    Quoted from Spelunk71:

We expect to be updating again in the next 2 weeks!

Translation ..... early December

1 month later
    #1976 3 years ago

So if these are in our hands by Xmas, what will the official count of Stern games not appearing be? Star Wars, SW Comics, Deadpool, Iron Maiden, TMNT, Avengers, JP3, Guardians, Elvira HoH, Stranger, Beatles, Munsters, Heavy Metal, and BK:SoR ... am I missing any?

2 months later
    #2143 3 years ago

damn, that $23 domestic shipping stings for a book. I think my BK3 topper from Stern was cheaper to ship LOL

#2270 3 years ago

So I had just checked the media mail rate before posting, and he argues thats not the cost even 4 yrs ago. I made it 5lbs with large dimensions, way more than the book would be

#2317 3 years ago

This book will be the Thunderbirds of pinball .... highly advertised, greatest ever, lots of hype, creator ends up being a jackass, finally delivers, product is crap, prices tank in the aftermarket

1 month later
    #2599 3 years ago

Had this book been delivered 3 yrs ago, I would have said "worth the 1 yr wait". However 4 yrs later, its just ho hum, not a wow factor. Overall its very nice and not cheaply made, but that 4 yr wait and lack of communication ruined it.

Here's what it looked like, from unopened box to showing off some pages

20201229_162530 (resized).jpg20201229_162530 (resized).jpg20201229_162615 (resized).jpg20201229_162615 (resized).jpg20201229_162646 (resized).jpg20201229_162646 (resized).jpg20201229_162708 (resized).jpg20201229_162708 (resized).jpg20201229_162731 (resized).jpg20201229_162731 (resized).jpg20201229_164637 (resized).jpg20201229_164637 (resized).jpg20201229_164821 (resized).jpg20201229_164821 (resized).jpg20201229_164848 (resized).jpg20201229_164848 (resized).jpg20201229_164916 (resized).jpg20201229_164916 (resized).jpg20201229_164944 (resized).jpg20201229_164944 (resized).jpg
    #2606 3 years ago

Google maps says he's mailing these from a field LOL

Quoted from waymon:

Anyone know where these are shipping from? I have a weird pre shipment and I have not gotten any info about my shipment. [quoted image]

1 month later
    #2766 3 years ago

Are they shipping alphabetically by first name?

2 weeks later
    #2799 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

but they would remove me from the refund list if I'd like.

Does that mean they will ship you the book instead? Might be worth it to sell and recoup some of the money

3 weeks later
    #2881 3 years ago

Truth? LOL

paperflock (resized).pngpaperflock (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider max_badazz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter?tu=max_badazz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.