Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 86 days ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2 Link to Kickstarter project. Posted by ForceFlow (7 years ago)

Post #74 Feedback on Stern editorial control. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #109 Talk about editorial choices. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #120 Confirmation that Batman 66 will be in the book. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #123 Poster(s) shipping arrangements clarified. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #130 Project update announced. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #502 Backer update Posted by Matesamo (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jar155.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#161 7 years ago

Stern shared an update to advertise the additional LE books being available. They banned me from their Facebook page for asking if it might upset previous LE buyers who pledged with the idea that their LE copy would actually be a bit more "limited."

#166 7 years ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

I'm sorry you got banned. That is definitely not my intention.
    Would you like me to try to get that decision reversed?
    Let me know if there is anything I can do.

It's not your fault, and I don't care anymore. I'm done with Stern as they're currently operated.

#168 7 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Can I have your AC/DC?

There will be no fire sale. I'm just not giving them any money going forward, but consider yourself with first dibs in hand.

#174 7 years ago

John Trudeau is so awesome. He still has such high enthusiasm for his craft.

4 weeks later
    #191 7 years ago

Anything that doesn't verbally wash Jody's balls would probably get nixed.

I'm sure there are some really interesting stories in there though. Stern Pinball has been through lots of ups and down. Pinball is in a mini boom right now, but it really wasn't that long ago that it was on life support. Stern really should just fund this project. They have heavy creative control over it already.

#225 7 years ago
    Quoted from GotAQuestion:

1) This is nothing like investing. At all. Investing has an expectation that it will return a profit. This is closer to venture capital.
    1a) This is $55. Who cares. Again, in this hobby that's spit in the ocean.
    2) I take it you've never heard of Kickstarter before? You contribute money to projects that otherwise wouldn't happen and in turn typically get a product should things succeed. Though I have backed some video games that never made it to a final release. And one that never came to any product whatsoever, not even demos.
    3) Apples to Oranges on the Ford quote, and you'd better bet that Ford takes on debts to make their vehicles.
    4) This book isn't being made by Stern. This book is **about** Stern, with a ton of proprietary content being contributed by Stern.
    5) This book isn't being made by Stern AND demanding freebies seems pretty entitled.

And that's about all I have the patience to respond to. I'd recommend doing some fact-checking before posting large, unpunctuated rants.

The real disappointing part isn't the price, it's that Stern has such a heavy hand in the content. If you think they rule their Facebook with an iron fist, you should see how they treat their "partners" in business and the media.

11 months later
    #729 6 years ago

I have to wonder how much John Trudeau threw this project for a loop. There was quite a bit of Ghostbusters stuff here, along with Trudeau's recent games. Could be that they didn't want to release this so close to all that drama. It would be sad to cut it from the book, because it's a big part of Stern's recent history, but I understand that hesitation.

#745 6 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Thanks for mentioning Pinball Magazine's recent Pinball Road Trip Kickstarter campaign. The support and compliments are appreciated. I can see how some may feel towards backing another Kickstarter campaign while still waiting for previously backed campaigns to deliver. All I can say is that contrary to some other campaigns the content for the Pinball Road Trip book already exists. In theory the book can go to print right after the campaign successfully gets funded. As there is still some copy editing to be done it will be a little later, but I expect the book to be delivered by February 2018 at the latest. If that helps making you feel a bit more secure about funding and delivery, feel free to check out my campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1532002338/pinball-road-trip-a-photo-documentary.

I backed your Kickstarter. Good luck with the rest of the campaign!

2 months later
    #861 6 years ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

And the complications with I'll say political issues only made it harder.

Probably a good idea not to name Jody personally as a complicating factor...

1 month later
    #907 6 years ago

I don't think you'll have much success with chargebacks. The chargeback will go to Kickstarter, and they'll point out that they don't promise delivery of anything. I'm not sure exactly what recourse there is, to be honest. Maybe press Stern, but they can just point fingers at Joe/Paperflock. You go to Paperflock and they'll just point back at Stern.

Kickstarters can be awesome, but they can also be maddening. I have had both success and disappointment supporting them. This one didn't feel like it should have had much trouble coming out though. Everybody involved was supported by stable companies.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jar155.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter?tu=jar155 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.