Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 85 days ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2 Link to Kickstarter project. Posted by ForceFlow (7 years ago)

Post #74 Feedback on Stern editorial control. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #109 Talk about editorial choices. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #120 Confirmation that Batman 66 will be in the book. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #123 Poster(s) shipping arrangements clarified. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #130 Project update announced. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #502 Backer update Posted by Matesamo (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j_m_.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#122 7 years ago

I'm a backer (and at the $200 level). jeremy's [zombie yeti] prints go for $100 when he offers them, so I figured that was a good value for all that was included.

I will echo the thoughts of others that it would be nice for the 30 year stern poster to be rolled and not folded if possible since most of us would like to matte and frame it. maybe offer an option to ship the poster rolled for the pro level backers and automatically do it that way for the level with the zombie yeti print.

looking forward to seeing how well the finish product comes out

ps
    are the numbered prints based on your backer no.? if so, that would be great since I actually wanted no. 13/100

#129 7 years ago
    Quoted from master_of_chaos:

I considered to spend 125$ in this project, but someone decided to limit this for only 30 supporters. I believe100 would have been the better choice.

damnit! I didn't even notice that the $200 level didn't have the autographs. I guess I picked the wrong one since the $125 books were still available when I made my pledge. you should get them to sign the $200 level dust jackets as well!

#150 7 years ago

I didn't hear about this kickstarter until 2 days ago. I think that because expo was going on (and even though there were flyers on the table about this @ expo), it just didn't click

compounded with the fact that the thread fell off of the 1st page here on pinside (like many things do) when there are a lot of hot topics, I'm guessing that many other people were/are in the same boat

4 weeks later
    #183 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Do you think this will fund? Guess we won't reach the cutaway pages goal...bummed about that.

I was hoping that it reached that goal as well. a nice fold out with transparent layers would have been a really nice touch to the book

1 week later
    #193 7 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

They probably have it arranged that Stern will kick in the balance....

they would be foolish not to. it's basically a win-win for them
    1) the book gets published and more people get informed on pinball
    2) stern can just sell those books (the difference needed to fund the kickstarter) on their website

#195 7 years ago

fingers crossed that if stern kicks in, they kick in an additional 25K as well so that we all get that sweet transparent layers section

#200 7 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

So you folks think that Stern should put $15k-$50k into a book projec... *You know why Stern will not fund this? Because they make Pinball machines not books and Paperflock came up with this idea and it's solely their book.

actually, I think that a couple of us stated that it would be cool if stern did this, not that they should

as to your comment about why you think stern should not do this, why do they sell mugs, cups, ball caps, t-shirts and posters on their web store? those definitely aren't pinball machines either!

for that matter why does any company sell other merchandise other than their main product?
    hey nintendo! you make video games, why do you sell books about your games?!?

hey ford! you make automobiles, why do you sell ford logo emblazoned apparel, and house hold items?!?

hey microsoft! you make software, why are you making and selling computers now?!?

hey amazon! you just used to sell just books. what the heck is with the fact that you sell just about everything now!?!?

1 week later
    #380 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

you see it one way. I am entitled to see it another.

yes, you're entitled to your opinion, but you don't need to repeatedly come into this thread and bash what joe is attempting to do here. simply state your opinion once and then leave.

I don't go into threads that you've started and every day post another "you're an asshat!" comment. why?
    well...
    for one thing, it's childish
    for another, it serves no purpose other than to draw attention to yourself and let everyone see just how narcissistic you can be. the end result is that you're going to come off looking like the asshat that you've made yourself out to be.

we've met face to face multiple times and you're a good guy, however in this case you're just not doing yourself any favors

3 weeks later
    #403 7 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Shame we won't get a layer by layer sheets in the book showing off how this thing was created. Look that thing. It's gotta be one of the most sophisticated pinball mechs ever made. Photo is from the website "Fun With Bonus".

maybe gary and the boys will feel generous and pony up the money to include the layered sheets. it's a pipe dream I know, but one can dream

#414 7 years ago

I still haven't received my cardboard xmas ornament

2 weeks later
    #421 7 years ago

hey joe, I never received my xmas ornament. were those mailed out to everyone?

1 month later
    #439 7 years ago

I loved the nixie tube displays in the bat computer for the match sequence

I found the catwoman ramp and the right orbit (ball lock) both a bear to hit for some reason, but had no problems hitting any other shot

2 months later
    #461 6 years ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

I know it's been a while again, new post coming very soon!
    We are waiting on the answer to a few questions, but as soon as we get them we will have a big new post!

apparently, joe's idea of very soon and mine are very different

1 week later
    #488 6 years ago

that's a really nice daily affirmation mr. smalley

I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. and dog gone it, people like meI'm good enough. I'm smart enough. and dog gone it, people like me

#514 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

They did this crowd funding on the backs of the pinball community, then it came to light they did not even have all the needed players lined up after they got funds, and now they are working on 2x the production schedule and by the sounds of it have almost nothing done.

I see this as no different than the 30th anniversary party that stern threw last year @ expo using the cash paid by customers to access the party. that party was further made even more awesome by the contributions by the patrons at the "cash" bar for food and drinks

#533 6 years ago

I'm a supporter at one of the higher levels and given my background, I don't have any worries.

a good writer can easily knock out the framework for a book in a matter of hours and start to have it fleshed out in a couple of days. I used to author video game strategy guides for prima and brady and in some cases we were given less than a week to have the all of the text for the book submitted.

layout can be another story, but again if you have someone that is good at their job and has a clear "vision" of what they want, most if not all of the pieces of the puzzle tend to fall in place

I think that joe's only shortcoming is lack of information in a timely manner. anyone who's visited this forum knows how fickle we can be as a group and how quickly support can wane

#545 6 years ago

I heard that joe is still finalizing the book binding so that it falls apart after a few reads to replicate the current cabinet issues

I'm joking of course. given that the last 3 kickstarters that I've participated in have run a bit late, this one doesn't surprize me in the least bit.

1 month later
    #558 6 years ago

has anyone done anything about claiming fraud with their credit card companies for this project? like another kickstarter project, this is the 2nd of 3 where the item has not been delivered on time, nor have their been any updates here, on kickstarter or the paperflock.com website of forum in quite some time

in fact, joe has not logged into to kickstarter.com since june 6th, posted to his own forum since january 20th or logged on here on pinside since may 14th. I'm seeing a pattern emerging and plan to file a fraud case with my credit card company if I do not receive an acceptable reply by the end of the week from joe

#563 6 years ago

from section 4, terms of service

When a project is successfully funded, the creator must complete the project and fulfill each reward. Once a creator has done so, they’ve satisfied their obligation to their backers.

Throughout the process, creators owe their backers a high standard of effort, honest communication, and a dedication to bringing the project to life. At the same time, backers must understand that when they back a project, they’re helping to create something new — not ordering something that already exists. There may be changes or delays, and there’s a chance something could happen that prevents the creator from being able to finish the project as promised.

If a creator is unable to complete their project and fulfill rewards, they’ve failed to live up to the basic obligations of this agreement. To right this, they must make every reasonable effort to find another way of bringing the project to the best possible conclusion for backers. A creator in this position has only remedied the situation and met their obligations to backers if:

- they post an update that explains what work has been done, how funds were used, and what prevents them from finishing the project as planned;
    - they work diligently and in good faith to bring the project to the best possible conclusion in a timeframe that’s communicated to backers;
    - they’re able to demonstrate that they’ve used funds appropriately and made every reasonable effort to complete the project as promised;
    - they’ve been honest, and have made no material misrepresentations in their communication to backers; and
    - they offer to return any remaining funds to backers who have not received their reward (in proportion to the amounts pledged), or else explain how those funds will be used to complete the project in some alternate form.
    The creator is solely responsible for fulfilling the promises made in their project. If they’re unable to satisfy the terms of this agreement, they may be subject to legal action by backers.

now, you tell me if joe has managed to successfully accomplish any of the above bullet points. also, notice the one that I've bolded

#564 6 years ago

here, I'll help you out:

- they post an update that explains what work has been done, how funds were used, and what prevents them from finishing the project as planned; nope
    - they work diligently and in good faith to bring the project to the best possible conclusion in a timeframe that’s communicated to backers; hell no. we were promised a sizeable update back in june which never materialized and that was the last communication
    - they’re able to demonstrate that they’ve used funds appropriately and made every reasonable effort to complete the project as promised; god only knows what he's using the funds for since there have been NO updates
    - they’ve been honest, and have made no material misrepresentations in their communication to backers; and what communication?!?
    - they offer to return any remaining funds to backers who have not received their reward (in proportion to the amounts pledged), or else explain how those funds will be used to complete the project in some alternate form.

#570 6 years ago
    Quoted from puck:

Did Joe get back to you?

nope. no reply

1 week later
    #584 6 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

So it's 3 months late and 50% done.

so that means 6 more weeks of winter next year? and that the book might be completed in another 5 months? love the post-it note where they can't even spell mr. takei's name correctly (george tiaki)

edit:
    I love how my avatar represents actually how I feel about this

1 month later
    #597 6 years ago

even if the book doesn't ship? hell, if that's the case I need to start multiple kickstarters now!

promise the world, deliver nothing and not be held accountable for anything? I can't understand how that would be legal

3 weeks later
    #654 6 years ago

I just posted another comment on kickstarter. personally, I think that all supporters attending the chicago pinball expo should attend the stern fireside chat on thursday, oct 12th at 6pm and voice their displeasure.

stern obviously partnered with paperflock given the signage being promoted at last year's expo, the stern party and during the factory tour and should be held just as accountable as paperflock

1 month later
    #722 6 years ago

anyone want to start placing bets on whether this project sees completion before it's 2 year anniversary?

#728 6 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

Joe only kept a close eye on this thread when he was soliciting our money.

absolutely 100% correct and the proof is here:
    joe dp (resized).jpgjoe dp (resized).jpg

Pinsider since February 22nd, 2016 (Last seen May 14th, 2017)

I also believe that he or the [rest? of paperflock?] did not attend the chicago expo this year. if they did, they made no mention, nor were they present at the stern lecture (and given that there was plenty of stern signage posted at the 2016 expo promoting the book, it would have been the perfect time to step up and speak up about the state of the book

1 week later
    #754 6 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

the-princess-bride-princess-bride-quotes (resized).jpgthe-princess-bride-princess-bride-quotes (resized).jpg

#762 6 years ago

I never even received the paper xmas ornament

#768 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I'm certain all is well. The publisher is busy finishing the design of the gel layers that show the anatomy of a pinball machine.

??

I didn't think that the kickstarter campaign made it to the level to include that. if they did, and they are actually working on that, I will be pleased

#780 6 years ago

it still doesn't pardon the fact that joe went "silent" here on pinside back in may and has been sh*t silent for updates on all fronts (pinside, the kickstarter site and the paperflock site).

there's really no excuse for it, and he's got a lot of explaining to do to even begin to start attempting to earn any respect (let alone confidence) back

#793 6 years ago

cosmicjim:
    maybe, however if they had completed the book "on time", the whole john trudeau thing wouldn't have happened yet and would be a non-issue
    they are already a year late on its delivery, so I'm sorry but they don't deserve any sympathy whatsoever in my book

#795 6 years ago

well, not exactly a year but it was supposed by complete by the summer. so 6 months overdue with no real date still in sight
    my guess is by the time it goes to print and gets into the hands of the backers, it will be over a year overdue

#813 6 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

It's not even that. People are just pissed that he came in here to ask for money. If you had a question, it was answered. THEN after he got the money, he doesn't come back HERE and give a quick update.

let's correct this a bit:
    after he got the money, he left pinside and:
    - hasn't posted anything to his own website forums since january 20, 2017 (paperflock.com)
    - hasn't been seen here on pinside.com since may 14, 2017
    - has only post a total of 4 updates on kickstarter since achieving the goal of $50K (june 06, aug 01, oct 13 and dec 08)

the only positive thing that I can say at this point is that it's a good thing that joe isn't authoring this thing:
    here's just a sample of his less than stellar writing skills: We have hired Amanda Hudgins to edit the book! She is an amazing editor who has worked with Zack, our writer, before!

ps
    this came from the oct 13th update (meaning that in addition to not having an author for the book, they also didn't even have an editor lined up until 6 months after the campaign ended

#827 6 years ago

the sad part about kickstarter is that there is no legal recourse for the backers when a project is successfully funded and the project owner does not come through.
    it makes me think that kickstarter should hold a portion of the funds in escrow so that if the project never comes to fruition at least a portion of the funds go back to the backers

maybe it's the part of me that has never taken money for something that is not complete and ready to ship (if you don't have the funds to back your own projects, then maybe you shouldn't be getting into it in the first place)

I'm no millionaire (heck, far from it), but I've been able to bring quite a few $5-digit projects to market on my own dime. I think that using your own money not only gives you a sense of pride, but also drives you to getting the project completed. when you're using someone else's funds, that incentive simply isn't there and you don't feel any pressure to [getting it done]

1 month later
    #847 6 years ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

This was a dream of ours! Unfortunately we are pretty sure it is cost prohibitive at the purchasing capacity we have with current orders.
    We will look a little deeper into it, but we know it is very pricey.

given that you're likely to end up being 2 years late to actually getting the book into the backers' hands than originally promised, it would be a nice "we're sorry and thank you" for everyone that felt like they got screwed with the lack of updates for the past year

btw, what ever happened to releasing photos of the zombie yeti poster and the dickie's jacket for the super backers? I'd like to think that jeremy packer completed the artwork for the poster long ago for the original slated delivery date

#869 6 years ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

I don't want to make a bunch of excuses, but telling a compelling story that covers 30 years and involves so many people is a huge task.
    And the complications with I'll say political issues only made it harder.
    So I deeply apologize for the delay, we are trying to make the best product possible for posterity, and trust me, Dameon and I did not plan to dedicate this much of our lives to this project, so we would love to have been able to deliver the book on time, it just wasn't in the cards this time.

joe, sorry to be a "debbie downer" again, but to be honest some of your comments are just head scratchers. I don't understand how you can act as if you and dameon are the ones telling this compelling story when neither of you are even writing the darn thing. I think that's one of things of this kickstarter (besides the lack of comments and the slipped dates and the multiple revisions that are just now happening) that truly blow my mind and had I known that from the start, I wouldn't have jumped in

I now see how kickstarter is the only option where this could possibly work

imagine if I were to go to victor ireland, who at one point in time was president of working designs and say "hey vic, I want to write a book chronicling your company and all of the great and crazy things that you did while there". during the first meeting, when asked even the most basic of questions, I would somehow have to explain to him that I wasn't writing the book, I wasn't editing the book or even publishing the book

I wonder how fast I would be laughed out of the meeting?

[edit]
    and while I understand there are "certain" things that you may not be able to discuss, you still haven't really given anyone even a "veiled" explanation why this book is so far behind schedule. had it met its original projected date, the whole john trudeau thing wouldn't have even been an issue

1 month later
    #887 6 years ago

I know that it's only been 32 days, but given joe's track record I would have hoped that he would have at least hit his "I'll post at least once a month" for the first month after

#890 6 years ago

since I paid by credit card, I've submitted a claim. I've also pm'ed joe (but big surprise, no reply

1 week later
    #901 6 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

The FUCK is going on with this thing? I feel like someone stole my money........

they did. this is exactly why I filed a claim with my credit card company. I really don't have any hard feeling that the money will be taken from kickstarter.com
    they can then go after joe and co. I feel that they should change their business model to hold these start-ups somewhat accountable

and before someone on the high horse chimes in again about how I wasn't paying for a product, but supporting an idea, they can go pound sand. creating a book (as someone else stated, "not a new technology") when you have all of the resources laid out in front of you should be an incredibly easy task for anyone with any business sense

joe has broken his promise numerous times now. anyone that gives him a pass has no one to blame but themselves. the adage "fool me once shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me" comes to mind and I won't be fooled a second time by this charlatan

2 months later
    #959 5 years ago

I just want a refund at this point. had I known the sh*tshow that this was going to turn into for something as simple as a book, I would have been better off buying a round for the patrons at the local tavern

at least that way I would have seen what I spent my money on

#968 5 years ago

facebook update today, but I noticed that joe has been avoiding pinside altogether (again)

4 weeks later
    #981 5 years ago

on this week in pinball, it was announced that todd tuckey is releasing not 1, but 10 pinball books, each 200+ pages.
    https://www.pinballbuzz.com/product-category/regular-pinball-adventures/

anyone want to bet how many of this 10 book series make it to market before the stern kickstarter does? the first volume is due out in sep, the 2nd in dec

#994 5 years ago

hey, it's been 29 days. I'll bet joe will be popping in today with an update

nope, no sarcasm here

1 week later
    #1001 5 years ago

thanks hool10

wtf is joe providing these promised monthly updates?!?

1 week later
    #1027 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

They should get started on the "deeproot 30th anniversary" book today.

I'm sure that joe will be back in 30 days to announce it (along with a 50th year anniversary book for Jersey Jack and Spooky

#1029 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

This thread is still running

yes, the general consensus is that we've accomplished more here than paperflock has (and that's not saying much

#1032 5 years ago

maybe I should start a kickstarter to fund tracking down joe and the rest of the paperflock team so that we can bring them to expo this year for a public flogging

#1034 5 years ago

I tried to numerous times, but haven't been successful

#1036 5 years ago

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, "had I known the sh!tsh*w that this would become, my $300+ (yep, I was dumb enough to sign in for one of those top tiers) would have been better off buying complete strangers a round at the local bar"

given stern's involvement in this, I believe that they should be held accountable as well to some degree

#1041 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I drink Bourbon, but I would be hard pressed on a good night to do more than 3 $20 pours. See you at the next show, you can buy the first round

I believe that it's you that probably owes me a drink or two mister

#1044 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Time for a lawsuit....

unfortunately, due to the way that kickstarter is set up there is no legal option against paperflock through kickstarter itself
    and as we all know with a lawsuit, the only people who make money are the lawyers. we'd be lucky to come away with a slice of pizza each after the legal fees are paid

I still like the idea of kidnapping joe and bringing him to expo to face a jury of his peers for his [lack of] actions

1 week later
    #1047 5 years ago

64 days now since an update. so much for even bi-monthly updates, eh?

3 weeks later
    #1077 5 years ago
    Quoted from ausretrogamer:

My coffee table is still waiting............

yes, a new thread. sort of like silicon valley but instead of "this is a location where your box could go", we can do, "this is a coffee table where your pinball book could go"

#1085 5 years ago

I got to put in the very first comment. I'm not sure that they'll approve, but it made me feel better

2018-08-17 16_49_13-Keeping the Ball Alive_ 30 Years of Stern Pinball by PaperFlock Inc — Kickstarte (resized).png2018-08-17 16_49_13-Keeping the Ball Alive_ 30 Years of Stern Pinball by PaperFlock Inc — Kickstarte (resized).png

1 month later
    #1131 5 years ago

step away from the kool-aid punchbowl Backyardace

unless joe is planning on attending expo with thousands of dollars to refund backers, I think that he might be wise to avoid the show

#1136 5 years ago

posted this to the kickstarter page today:

kickstarter post (resized).jpgkickstarter post (resized).jpg

to any other backers planning on attending the chicago pinball expo next month, I say we meet @ twin peaks thursday evening around 6pm and commiserate over a few cold ones (or smoke cigars and all pretend that we're like ted who has now put out 3 books in a year's less time

#1144 5 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

It's not there. Did he have it taken down or does it take awhile for the post to show?
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paperflock/keeping-the-ball-alive-30-years-of-stern-pinball/comments

he removed it (or stern did). based on how everyone was getting their comments removed on facebook, it wouldn't surprise me either way

edit:
    actually my last 2 comments are under their last update
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paperflock/keeping-the-ball-alive-30-years-of-stern-pinball/posts/2265553

#1147 5 years ago

I would have loved to attend stern's seminar @ expo and raise my concerns, however I just noticed that their time slot is 8pm on saturday which is pretty much after everyone, including myself will have had their fill and left the show

my guess is that george won't have that much to say otherwise they would vied for an earlier spot during the show (I could have sworn that in the past, stern and jjp both have always had their time slots on thursday

#1149 5 years ago

it will have been 2 years ago @ expo (right before the kickstarter ended). they not only promoted it at the hotel (w/ banners) but there was also a lot of signage @ the stern party and I believe that both gary and george were pushing it during their speeches

but I think that you're right @tigerlaw, it kind of has that feeling that stern was getting a kickback of some sort for the promoting of it

#1171 5 years ago

I think that he meant 2119. seven years after we've been all part of the solar federation and then subsequently freed from their tyranny in the year 2112

#1175 5 years ago

At this point I’d take an unfinished book and use my imagination on the missing bits.

don't give joe any ideas. at this point, I have the feeling that he's going to deliver a blank notepad and a box of crayons and tell everyone its a "choose your own adventure/make your own pinball" book

1 week later
    #1192 5 years ago
    Quoted from toddtuckey:

I got my copy today! (Yes, I had to wait too!)
    [quoted image]

hey! wait a second, that's not the paperflock coffee table book

oh that's right todd, this is the first of the 10 volumes that you'll probably have complete and printed before paperflock gets their sh*t together

1 week later
    #1200 5 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Anybody ask Stern about this book at expo?

I left saturday morning and stern's seminar wasn't under 8pm saturday night and I never saw george walking around to ask him

#1212 5 years ago

I never even received the crappy paper xmas ornament. now I feel really cheated

#1217 5 years ago

did anyone stay for expo saturday evening, attend stern's seminar and ask about the status of the book? I'd be curious to know if they had anything to say (apologize, make excuses, shrug it off, etc...

2 weeks later
    #1222 5 years ago

will the lease on my new vehicle (which is a 3-year lease) be up before I receive this book? my magic 8 ball keeps giving me 'most likely' and 'as I see it, yes'

#1224 5 years ago

well, I answer the part of whether or not you'll ever see your money. that answer is "no"

the way kickstarter works, I can start a project and explain that if I reach of a goal of $10,000, I'll build this widget that will solve hunger, cancer and create world peace

if I don't raise that $10K, everyone that donated gets their money back. however, if that goal is met, the money is transferred from kickstarter to me and everyone is f*ck all screwed. I don't have to make the widget. I can just walk away and you have no legal recourse. their business model is flawed since the [starter] doesn't have any legal responsibility to follow through

2 weeks later
    #1236 5 years ago

anyone have joe's cell no.?

I'll gladly phone him and let him know that we've had enough, issue the refunds and no harm will come to his shrubberies

#1238 5 years ago

from the kickstarter web site:
    4. How Projects Work
    Most of our Terms of Use explain your relationship with Kickstarter. This section is different — it explains the relationship between creators and backers of Kickstarter projects, and who’s responsible for what. This is what you’re agreeing to when you create or back a Kickstarter project.

Kickstarter provides a funding platform for creative projects. When a creator posts a project on Kickstarter, they’re inviting other people to form a contract with them. Anyone who backs a project is accepting the creator’s offer, and forming that contract.

Kickstarter is not a part of this contract — the contract is a direct legal agreement between creators and their backers. Here are the terms that govern that agreement:

When a project is successfully funded, the creator must complete the project and fulfill each reward. Once a creator has done so, they’ve satisfied their obligation to their backers.

Throughout the process, creators owe their backers a high standard of effort, honest communication, and a dedication to bringing the project to life. At the same time, backers must understand that when they back a project, they’re helping to create something new — not ordering something that already exists. There may be changes or delays, and there’s a chance something could happen that prevents the creator from being able to finish the project as promised.

If a creator is unable to complete their project and fulfill rewards, they’ve failed to live up to the basic obligations of this agreement. To right this, they must make every reasonable effort to find another way of bringing the project to the best possible conclusion for backers. A creator in this position has only remedied the situation and met their obligations to backers if:

they post an update that explains what work has been done, how funds were used, and what prevents them from finishing the project as planned;
    they work diligently and in good faith to bring the project to the best possible conclusion in a timeframe that’s communicated to backers;
    they’re able to demonstrate that they’ve used funds appropriately and made every reasonable effort to complete the project as promised;
    they’ve been honest, and have made no material misrepresentations in their communication to backers; and
    they offer to return any remaining funds to backers who have not received their reward (in proportion to the amounts pledged), or else explain how those funds will be used to complete the project in some alternate form.
    The creator is solely responsible for fulfilling the promises made in their project. If they’re unable to satisfy the terms of this agreement, they may be subject to legal action by backers.

#1241 5 years ago

it's a shame that no lawyers were backers on this project and want to make an example out of paperflock

any lawyers out there feel like doing a pro bono case for the holidays to set things right for the us backers?

#1243 5 years ago

posted this in the comments this morning, let's see how many other backers follow suit

Keeping the Ball Alive_ 30 Years of Stern Pinball by PaperFlock Inc (resized).jpgKeeping the Ball Alive_ 30 Years of Stern Pinball by PaperFlock Inc (resized).jpg

#1255 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

He deserves all the mockery at this point. All he had to do was make good on his promise to keep communicating, and he can't even carve out 10 minutes a week month quarter to post something for you all.
    Loser.

there. I corrected that for you (even though, I had to edit my edit

#1257 5 years ago

kickstarter joe (resized).jpgkickstarter joe (resized).jpg

ps
    was she one of the "stretch goals" that we backers unwittingly provided?

#1268 5 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

This just popped up in KS:
    Hello Kickstarter Backers,
    I know you guys are waiting for an update. I'm sorry we have been quiet this month, but I promise we have been making progress!
    This is just a micro-update to let you know that we will be posting a bigger update on Monday!
    Thanks for your patience, Joe and Dameon, and the Paperflock Team

why didn't you post my comment?

#1276 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

I liked it so much I bought 2 of them...have one not even opened *RARE* (I know your jealous j_m_
    [quoted image]

yeah, that's it. just rub it in that I didn't even get my $325 cardboard xmas ornament

#1291 5 years ago

I was going to comment on kickstarter, but I really don't see the point. if he considers taking 30 elements!!! from the stern asset discs (as he's joyfully stated) and slapping them on a spread, this man doesn't have a fucking clue what he's doing. some one the age of 8 could have done this (and probably have done a better job

there was no thought involved whatsoever in taking a bunch of stock images and just resizing them so that fit on a 2-page layout

but wait! the layout guy did overlay 2 of the elements over an image of the playfield. I'll bet that took him a week to do

seriously, the one guy that did comment on this update said "looks great, I can't wait!"

and as for his comment of "I know that we are making the best pinball book that we've ever seen", he might as well as stated "the best book that he's ever seen" because it's obvious he's never looked at any books (even comic books, which have much better layouts

1 week later
    #1317 5 years ago

and actually followed through on his projects

#1320 5 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

If it does get funded, people will lose their money when the person goes on vacation and buys a new car.
    Don't be hornswoggled, unless the money does not matter to an individual.
    This is not a "good deal".

damn! who knew that the TheBlackKnight would call this one correctly 2 years ago

happy 3rd xmas to all of us that got screwed

2 weeks later
    #1337 5 years ago

looking at the kickstarter page, there were only 7 updates in 2017 and actually 10 this year
    however, the content of those updates has definitely been lacking (especially since joe posted that the book copy had been approved back in march)

to get some semblance of closure as 2018 comes to a close, I submitted this email to Stern Pinball this morning:

"So, what's the deal with the KICKSTARTER book? Stern took an active stance 2 years ago promoting this [official] coffee table book celebrating 30 years of Stern's pinball history with flyers and huge banners at the 2016 pinball expo in Chicago and their own party (that I purchased a ticket to attend).

Now, over 18 months past expected delivery date, we backers still have no tentative release time line or even a sense of urgency on the part of Stern/Paperflock to complete this project and reward its backers.

With May 2019 approaching, the book will celebrate it's 2 year anniversary at being overdue and not only has Paperflock been lax in keeping their backers updated, but Stern Pinball itself appears to have distanced themselves from the project since there's no mention of it anywhere on the official sternpinball.com website.

As the company that partnered and promoted this project, I can't help but feel like I've been lied to and cheated out of my hard earned money and I think that some of the blame should fall on you (as a named partner) for not following through to ensure the completion of the project."

I guess the only thing that could be worse is if the book finally does make it to press and they use all of the history info found on stern's own website
    https://sternpinball.com/about/

1 week later
    #1362 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Any response from Stern?

nope, nothing (as expected

Quoted from hool10:

As far as I am aware they are (were) pinball fans and came to Stern for support.

pinball fan? (meaning that he once had a friend's cousin's sister's roommate's brother see a stern pinball machine in a pop-up ad on their browser

1 week later
    #1371 5 years ago

if I do "proper" math, with joe's new estimate of 1,500 hrs is equivalent to another 9 months before this sh*t will be completed (at the earliest

and remember kids, this doesn't include layout time, writing time, vacation time, photographing time, travel time, more vacation time, negotiating time, other time, and even more vacation time

I really wish that more backers (other than myself) would start posting their displeasure on how this project has failed on some many fronts

#1373 5 years ago

these guys are total knobs. given that stern issued promotional flyers for EVERY game produced, this means that studio quality photos already exist and stern probably doesn't feel like troubling themselves to go through their own archives and find them

I'm going to start a kickstarter for a 38th [unofficial] anniversary of stern games but provide colored drawings of the machines as interpreted by K-3 school kids. I'll bet that I still get my book out before joe and it will be at least 100% better too!

ted, will you be my editor?

#1378 5 years ago

the best part will be all those photos of these routed games with broken plastics, blown out playfields and cabinet graffiti

#1391 5 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Oh and just to rub salt on the wounds it looks like I had “upped” my pledge. Where’s my fucking jacket?[quoted image]

lol. apparently, you're as big of an idiot as I am (good to know that I wasn't the only fool to be taken in for that much

joe has been probably scouring all of the local thrift stores to try and find enough dickies (meaning rebranded circa 1982 members only) jackets for all of us $325 donors errm.. suckers to apply iron-on transfers onto (or more likely, the jackets will come packages as a DIY kit with a jacket and iron-on transfer with the caveat that they are not responsible for any damage done to said "nylon" jacket with a hot iron

btw, when/if the final book is delivered, can we claim fraud when the books don't feature trudeau's hand-signed autograph?? I mean, that was a selling point of the LE book and might have been the only reason that I donated at that level at the time

#1409 5 years ago

a friend of mine was in illinois this week and took a tour at the stern facility. I asked him to ask about the book and he was told "I can assure you it's still being worked on", but that was really it

from my point of view, it doesn't really sound like stern has been doing anything to drive this project to completion

#1413 5 years ago

Your friend, 'By whom?'
    Stern representative, 'Top men.'[quoted image]

he was told by zach sharpe, the person that gave him the tour

1 month later
    #1458 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Does anyone want to purchase one of my preorder spots? Comes complete with an unopened Christmas ornament!

that all depends, are you [paying] people to take the spot (and the anguish that goes with it?

1 week later
    #1473 5 years ago

what exactly can we do as backers? it's quite obvious that joe isn't putting together a book and ran off with our money. any lawyers want to take up a class action lawsuit pro bono?

paging @pinlawyer

1 month later
    #1497 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Intern....
    [quoted image]

so... that's where our money's been going. joe's a member of a "rent a date" club and we've been paying for it

1 week later
    #1511 4 years ago

found this little gem and posted it in the comments section today. I would advise all backers to do the same
    kickstarter rights (resized).jpgkickstarter rights (resized).jpg

#1516 4 years ago

but it's garbage like this that really makes me want to create a "south park" type kickstarter

you know, the kind where you can donate all kinds of money and I'll promise absolutely nothing in return. the more money that you donate, the less that I'll promise to do (although considering that I'm not planning on doing anything in the first place, I'm not exactly sure how that would be possible

I thinking about something like this:

theendallfukitall non-event

donate $1
    (because you have have an extra $1 in your paypal or google account and are too lazy to figure what to do with it otherwise)

reward: absolutely nothing. not even a thank you!

donate $10
    reward: one update where you aren't even specifically mentioned about all of the non-progress that I've made
    (this update may or may not occur sometime between 1 month and 156 months after the kickstarter has successfully met its goal

donate $25
    reward: one update where I thank all of the people that donated $25 or more
    (but not by name because that would require more than basic effort on my part

donate $50 or more
    reward: two updates, but one may just be random characters repeated if I happen to fall asleep at the keyboard

bonus item for all donators
    a link to a previously posted pinside thread with an oversaturated image of joe, the non-creator of infamous 30 years of stern pinball book (that never happened
    image may or may not include some random tart joe was trying to impress at the time

#1563 4 years ago

this is the comment that I posted to kickstarter today:

joe and co.
    here's the problem as well as the facts (and yes, I'm one of those whiney naysayers):
    - the book is now 2 years overdue
    - not once have you apologized for the repeated delays or taken ownership of your shortcomings and lack of planning on this project
    - you waited until well after the project was fully funded before even putting together a basic layout and hiring an editor. these are things that should have been thought out well ahead of even offering the book as a kickstarter funded project
    - you failed to uphold your promise to deliver monthly updates

it's hard to get excited about the updates because they don't really give us any sense of real progress being made, just more boilerplate rhetoric to appease your backers and bide yourself a bit more time.

from my perspective, the delays might have been a bit easier to swallow if you were someone that appeared to be actually passionate about the hobby and this project. unfortunately, you don't seem to be that person. if you were, you wouldn't have joined pinside.com, one of the largest pinball forum communities simply to try and garner sales, promise frequent updates and then completely vanish
    fact: you joined pinside and posted right after you launched the kickstarter project on oct 18, 2016 and then disappeared after may 21, 2018 (with a mere 6 posts after promising monthly updates 16 months prior)

with all that being said, I really don't expect what is finally produced (if it ever reaches completion) will be anything than mediocre as best

just my 2 cents as someone that *is* passionate about the hobby

#1573 4 years ago

does this mean that once this joke is finally unleashed upon the public, we backers can then demand a refund?

#1603 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

All the people saying it's "never going to happen they just stole our money", they're quiet now. That's a good thing.

or we're just fed up to the point where we've given up wasting our breath. tell you what ron, give me $325 and you have have my book and rewards

1 week later
    #1616 4 years ago

these guys are only 2 months late
    withphysical progress vs. 2 years late w/ a 5 minute format change

plus, they apologized for being late. it took 2 years and my post to get joe to admit to that. on the negative side, it appears that AJ is actually going to be late by a minimum of 9 months (9 min mark on their video)

#1618 4 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Yeah true but you can likely meet him (I have) at a game show and he does panels, streams, etc. Paperflock nobody knows them and the size of the project is relatively small. I wouldn't be surprised at this point if Paperflock is actually losing money on this project.

they can't really lose any money if they never produce the product. given that they raised over $50K to produce less than 500 books, I think that they would really have to piss away a good deal to not have enough funds to produce the actual book

vireland or jonathan can confirm this

3 weeks later
    #1638 4 years ago

agreed. at this point, I think that a [small] step in the right direction would be to remove some of the clutter and put in the acetate fold-out pages that show the different components of the machines (empty cabinet [solid sheet of paper] and then transparent pages for hardware in cabinet bottom, empty playfield and populated playfield layers (ramps, posts, spinners, drop target assemblies each as a layer) as well as playfield from underneath [solid sheet of paper] and then gi bulbs, controlled bulbs, subways, coils, drop target assemblies, gi harness, switch harness, coil harness transparent pages)

I'll bet that the book doesn't even detail the backbox improvements (with images) from the classic stern, dataeast, sega, whitestar, sam, spike and spike 2

1 month later
    #1670 4 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

So it’s now a picture book?

I like to think of it as a capstone level college course project that they've put off until the night before it was due

and they still haven't shown any of the extras (stuff that they promised well over a year ago
    mine will probably end up on ebay just to rid myself of it and try and recoup a bit of the money that was paid out for it since I don't have any kids to put it on their bookshelves along their (better laid out and easily more superior) dr. seuss titles

1 week later
    #1681 4 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

So we’re 2/3 the way to the end of our picture book now. Woo hoo.

and only 2 years late right now. does that mean we'll see it sometime in 2020?

1 month later
    #1690 4 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

I know a certain Baywatch example that could be photographed on cardboard without legs. Seriously though, if these are being photographed from home collections, I can only imagine some of the modded / purped out monstrosities that will show up in this book...if it ever gets done.

so, are you saying that some unknowing pinsider may end up with these atrocities as a "secret santa" gift in 2020 (since they obviously won't make the end of the year deadline)

#1712 4 years ago

I never received the first crappy paper xmas ornament

Quoted from Pinballlew:

I can’t believe I will still have to cough up shipping on two books if this gets made

do they seriously expect us to cough up more money for something that will ultimately be 3 (or more) years late??
    and if I don't pay these extra shipping costs, which technically means that I'll never receive my book, can I then claim a refund?

1 month later
    #1725 4 years ago
    Quoted from Backyardace:

I’ve published 48 magazines in the 3 year’s since I gave my money. That’s over 5,000 pages. It is really not that hard. Went to Expo and got caugh up in the hype. Both Stern and Paperflock let us down. I funded two books on Kickstarter and at least I received the other one.

but how many exotic destination vacations did you take during that 36 month period? if the answer is less than 10, you're obviously not doing something right

#1727 4 years ago

did anyone see gary at expo and ask him about the [lack] of their coffee table book?

#1733 4 years ago

if would be awesome if stern would step up and offer webstore credit for the backer amounts since they so heavily promoted it (and that was the only reason I decided to back the project

but we all know that will never happen

2 weeks later
    #1738 4 years ago

serious question
    does kickstarter have any provisions for backer recourse for a project owner that fails to bring a project to completion? or do they consider themselves free and clear after a project meets its target goal and they take their cut?

#1758 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nelly:

REALLY wishing I hadn't done this now. Sorry guys.

you weren't the only one, I did the very same thing and have been kicking myself ever since

I really wish that a lawyer would have backed this as well and put joe and co. in his sights for a class action suit

#1765 4 years ago

that and the fact that stern has distanced themselves from the project so far that they don't even mention it. if it was "officially licensed", that would mean that stern took money from paperflock as well (but probably got their cut up front)

2 weeks later
    #1788 4 years ago

No book under our Christmas tree this year. Maybe next Christmas :-/[quoted image]

quit teasing me with an ornament that I never received (and apparently, I wasn't alone)

any takers on if they'll actually deliver a book in 2020?

2 weeks later
    #1801 4 years ago

I'll just add this:
    paperflock website (resized).jpgpaperflock website (resized).jpg

#1805 4 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

Domain expires in May I’m going to grab it and forward it to this thread.

make sure to create a nice front page on what a sh!t show this has become and then link to this thread. you should also go back and grab all of those vacation photos and put them on the front page indicating what joe's been doing with the money instead of:
    - writing the book
    - laying out the design
    - editing the content

since it's obvious that he doesn't know how to do any of these things (and had we all known this, there's no way this project would have ever gotten close to being funded

3 weeks later
    #1846 4 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

No interns were harmed in making this book.[quoted image]

no interns were paid in the making of this book, which is why the book hasn't been completed
    the_internship (resized).jpgthe_internship (resized).jpg

4 weeks later
    #1870 4 years ago

and yet still no photos of any of the incentives? it makes me think that anyone that backed higher than just the book is getting royally screwed

#1872 4 years ago

so... only 3 years late?

3 weeks later
    #1888 4 years ago

and yet still no photos or even mock-ups of the supposed bonus items. based on the last 2 updates, I'm still not holding my breath for a release any sooner than late summer/early fall

1 month later
    #1907 3 years ago

rumor also indicates that once they receive the sections for Tron and LotR, they will have 2 sections complete

1 week later
    #1917 3 years ago

I heard that the hold up is due to the fact that stern hasn't released images of TMNT or the next 5 years worth of games because joe changed it to a 40 years of stern book to buy himself another 10 years before he delivers (that and another 10 years of exotic vacations with new interns

#1920 3 years ago

it appears that the code has been cracked explaining the delays. with another 8 years or so on his sentence, we won't be seeing the books for some time, will we?

1 month later
    #1927 3 years ago

isn't joe currently on lock down in some exotic location (with an intern)? maybe that's the reason for the delay

1 week later
    #1951 3 years ago

maybe the coffers are empty and joe thinks that if he finally gets this done, he can sell some extra copies to fund his next intern-filled exotic vacation

1 month later
    #1967 3 years ago

so, it definitely will be done and in our hands by next year?

#1975 3 years ago

and yet they still haven't shown [even] mock-ups for any of the bonus items

#1986 3 years ago

and I'll bet jack was swooning and fawning all over it

3 weeks later
    #2027 3 years ago

what about the one if you'd buy an extended version of the book?

#2048 3 years ago

I wonder how many of them will end up on ebay?

2 weeks later
    #2083 3 years ago

Pinball Magazine September podcast interviewed Rob Berk who mentioned Joe from Paperflock would be giving a talk at the virtual expo this year.
    It’s not on the schedule yet. Given Joe’s track record for timely production I bet it will never happen. http://pinballexpo.com/showschedule.html

the schedule came out today. no sign of joe on it anywhere.

I'm guessing that joe will have to interview yet another intern to fill that position for scheduling events

3 weeks later
    #2124 3 years ago

me either. I'm going to hate to see the shipping cost for my $325 pledge level. this f*cker is going straight to ebay to see if I can recoup my costs. I really don't want anything to do with the final product

#2130 3 years ago

just received my backer kit. $48 for domestic shipping for my stuff (book, t-shirt, jacket) pretty sad

#2242 3 years ago

I just posted a reply on their kickstarter page. what joe doesn't realize is that buy using the usps's flat rate boxes, he's subjecting everyone to usps's flat rate charges.

I [left handedly] let him know to get off his lazy ass and purchase the proper size generic box (which he can do through uline.com) and the shipping costs should be drastically lower.

again, this is just another instance of them doing the least amount of effort rather than taking some time and investigating.

additionally, using a flat rate box means that you have to use more packaging material (or probably in this case, he'll probably just ship it without any protection and the 4.5lb book ends up getting banged around, arriving all dinged and dog-eared.

flat rate (12"x12"x5")
    flat rate (resized).pngflat rate (resized).png

vs. media mail (same size box, same origin, same destination)
    media mail (resized).pngmedia mail (resized).png

and for our international friends, here's a direct comparison with using flat rate vs. your own box which equals a $20 difference
    international (resized).pnginternational (resized).png

#2313 3 years ago

had I known that they'd finally offer a refund offer I would have jumped on that. I begrudgingly sent my funds for shipping the other day. I wonder if it's too late to get a refund. 292 from 325 is better than receiving something that I know I just not going to be happy with.

I just entered a claim with my credit card company for the shipping charge and submitted my cancellation on kickstarter. I plan to bring this up with jack danger as well (he should know the full story and read this thread)

#2372 3 years ago

I was offered the pin set for free (a $55 value!!!) to continue with my purchase instead of a refund. I chose the refund

#2376 3 years ago

technically, if they are "refunding" the transaction, we should see the 5% back from paypal. the only money lost should be what kickstarter takes.

3 weeks later
    #2494 3 years ago

I continue to press for the remaining backers, but still no reply a week later

joe blows (resized).pngjoe blows (resized).png

1 week later
    #2525 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Will the 30th edition book be out by the 35th anniversary? Data East pinball formed in fall of 86. Will these be out by fall '21?
    It's sad how you actually have to ponder if they could make that deadline...

when do we start placing bet?

#2538 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

If they're REALLY shipping from the post office retail counter and using priority mail flat rate boxes, they are enormous morons. With 400+ orders, they should be using endicia and a Zebra label printer (total hardware/software investment $150-$175, recoup $100+ selling the zebra printer when they're done) to save the post office time and them substantial money. I can't believe they're really this stupid.

agreed

they're using usps flat rate boxes because they're cheap asses. this way they don't have to expend any funds for the shipping boxes (rathcr than determine the proper size boxes based on what people's pledges and purchase multiples sizes from uline). however, knowing these bozo's, they probably purchased 100 packages of bubble wrap in smallest possible roll size from office depot and overpaid for those to balance it all out.

want to take a bet that they also manage to f- up the shipping labels on at least 4-5% of the orders since they're obviously manually entering the information on the usps.com website to generate the postage for each and every box and poster tube?

again, cost and time savings could have been had by collecting and capturing all of the information into a database (even excel at least) and importing that information into a shipping program that handles batches.

#2554 3 years ago

and right now usps can't handle the load with xmas and a number of employees out sick or that just don't want to work. this has been a shit show all around so I'm not sure why we expected the finish line to be any different.

I have the feeling that people will still be waiting to receive their goods going into february of next year.

I wonder how many refunds will be issued due to parcels being lost or the books simply damaged because one wrap of little bubble bubble wrap isn't going to do anything to protect a 6lb+ book.

3 weeks later
    #2688 3 years ago

nice writeup. it really begs the point of just who reviewed this before taking it to press?? the way that certain things are called out would have been shot down by even freshman editors.

examples:
    Indiana Jones pinball holds in one game all four successful movies dedicated to the George Lucas’ character. In fact on the playfield there is an area dedicated to each of the four episodes: one part is reserved for "Raiders of the Lost Ark", one part for "Temple of Doom", another one to "Last Crusade" and finally one part dedicated to the last title: "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull".

Which reads much better as:
    The Stern machine pays homage to George Lucas’ titular character by tying together all four successful movies on a single playfield.

additionally, where they felt the need to call out ‘The Simpsons Pinball Party’ full name for 4 of the 5 image descriptors really feels like they were going for word count vs actual content.

so, how many do we think will end up on ebay?

#2691 3 years ago
    Quoted from Durzel:

You mean "villian", surely?

??
    villain

NOUN
    (in a film, novel, or play) a character whose evil actions or motives are important to the plot.
    "I have played more good guys than villains" · [more]
    synonyms:
    criminal · lawbreaker · outlaw · offender · felon · convict · jailbird · malefactor · [more]
    the person or thing responsible for specified trouble, harm, or damage.
    "the industrialized nations are the real environmental villains"
    archaic
    variant spelling of villein.

1 week later
    #2720 3 years ago
    Quoted from wiggy07:

Recently I obtained my copy of Keeping the Ball Alive book. The item was started as a Kickstarter project about three years ago by two guys named Dameon and Joesph. After years of struggles and additional money needed for the project, the book was finally released and shipped.
    The book looks pretty good. The paper used for the pages is of good quality, thick with a nice sheen. The pictures and artwork used for the photos are of decent quality. The content covers the beginnings of Stern to the last game of Aerosmith.
    Blog Post : https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2021/01/16/pinball-book-review-keeping-the-ball-alive-30-years-of-stern-pinball-book/
    YouTube Video :
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

so... basically, the center section of the book (the factory stuff) is really more like 30 years of star trek?

#2741 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

If you want a straight answer maybe contact Yeti on Facebook--he is usually pretty active there.

is this the part where jeremy replies "wait. what? I don't recall anyone approaching me to do a poster for this project."

#2754 3 years ago
    Quoted from VegasAlleycat:

Anybody else think it was unusual to alphabetize by first name rather than last name?

at this point, did that truly surprise you?

#2765 3 years ago
    Quoted from GeekedOnPinball:

Yeah still waiting on my stuff... several books. No notification yet. MEH. How long can it possibly take to ship 500 packages?

how long could it possible take them to put out a book originally promised by may 2017?

1 week later
    #2774 3 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

funny how everyone is mentioned in the back of the book including those that want a refund...

the books were already printed before the refund option was even offered up. kind of crappy that those that paid the most are now waiting the longest (dickie jackets out of stock) and even more so for the insane postage for everyone, especially those residing outside of the united states

1 week later
    #2807 3 years ago
    Quoted from GeekedOnPinball:

I just asked for an update on shipping and basically got a nasty reply and I’ll cancel your order and put you in the long line of others waiting on refunds lol. It was totally freaking rude, unbelievable how they are behaving when they are holding people’s money. If it were their money and their order they would want a damn estimate of when they can ship. My wife and I could have shipped four hundred packages in a couple weeks.

you should post a screen cap of your conversation here (redacting anything that you need to). if others get this same type of response, they should take it all to kickstarter.

1 week later
    #2814 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinmaniac:

I just got an email from Emma saying that the Dickies-Jackets are now being substituted with sweatshirts due to them being on perpetual back order.

they can go f--- them selves over this. this should have been communicated to all backers at that level prior to making the [executive] decision of swapping out a $100 jacket with a $20-30 sweatshirt.

#2818 3 years ago

their reply:
    As we needed to quickly pivot to an acceptable replacement (or cancel the reward item completely), we were unable to solicit backer feedback.

Please be aware that your Kickstarter pledge is financial support of a project, not the purchase of an item, and changes do occur over the course of many Kickstarter campaigns.

Best,
    Emma

and my reply to that:
    unfortunately, this project has been nothing but shortcomings and excuses.

let me ask you this, if you backed a project entitling you to a product that touted all kinds of bells and whistles and a certain level of quality and then what you ultimately received was something that contained none of the perceived value that was advertised, my guess is that you would demand a refund.

support of the project, yes. but given that the project is 4 years late, everyone is now being well overcharged for shipping and now the jacket is being scrapped due to it not being a sourceable item?
    you can't tell me that this was not known 3 months ago, when it could have been communicated to all of the backers. in the business world, this is what is known as fraud.

#2857 3 years ago

I wonder what would be the option for those that backed w/ a jacket and then didn't receive one? my thought is that this truly does constitute fraud.

#2861 3 years ago

the ONLY reason that I stayed on board was for the dickie's jacket and now to be told that it's being substituted without a choice is a real kick in the nuts. if karma kicks in, I really hope joe gets what's coming to him. this has been a sh*tshow for 3+ years now

#2868 3 years ago

received my bullsh*t package with the sweatshirt instead of my jacket today. also wondering why it cost me $70 for a priority flat rate box that ships for $15

when's the class action lawsuit? sign me up.

stern should be ashamed of themselves for aligning with these hacks and offer those of us that were f*cked some sort of restitution.

#2872 3 years ago

and what happened to the ktba (now known as kickstarter thieving bastard @ssholes) quarter dispenser that we were also promised?

if karma really exists, I just want to be there when joe gets his due

#2874 3 years ago

just posted this to stern's facebook page (anyone taking bets that the post gets removed and I get blocked?
    stern facebook post (resized).pngstern facebook post (resized).png

#2879 3 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Anyone contact Dickies to see if jackets really are unobtanium? Smells like rotten tuna to me. How can they get just enough for the Slash backers then run out? It was cost cutting all the way.

hmm... still pretty obtainable to me
    https://www.dickies.com/coats-jackets/insulated-eisenhower-jacket/TJ15.html?dwvar_TJ15_color=BK#q=jacket&start=1

#2884 3 years ago

it really makes me want to reach out to jeremy packer (zombie yeti) and explain what happened and see if he'd be willing to provide [new] unique art for those of us that got f---ed over. we could then get our own dickie's jackies and have them screen printed.

1 month later
    #2920 2 years ago

as soon as I receive my poster, I think I'm going to try and sell everything.

if anyone is interested in "buying me out", I purchased the $325 zombie yeti LE bundle w/ the poster and the shitty swapped out hoodie instead of the dickies jacket (size: XL). everything is still sealed in the usps priority mail box that it arrived in.

also included is a set of the 4 enamel pins that I was placated with to keep from cancelling my order.

#2922 2 years ago

I received my poster today as well. unfortunately, mine was crushed by usps
    this kickstarter continues to find ways to kick me when I'm down

ps
    wasn't the poster supposed to be something exclusively commissioned for this project? this looks like 4 pcs that jeremy previously did that they just grouped together.

anybody up for inviting joe to play paintball so that all us backers can take out our frustration on just how poorly this project was run and executed?

edit:
    yep, 2 of the pcs. are artwork previously created for 2 pinball shows in 2019
    https://zombieyeti.bigcartel.com/product/limited-edition-pinball-art-print-set

the viking is also an older piece from 2014
    http://trampt.com/original-art/113676/screw-barbarian-gicl-e-digital-print-zombie-yeti

2 weeks later
    #2944 2 years ago

for sale:
    collector's bundle. zombie yeti (autographed edition of book). t-shirt (XL). hoodie (XL) [not a dickies jacket as was promised ]. pin set. poster in a sturdy poster tube. $325. I will cover shipping within the lower 48

everything is factory sealed.

2 years later
    #2960 6 months ago

I'd still love to run into joe from paperflock and pin him down for answers on how something so easy because such a sh*tshow.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j_m_.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter?tu=j_m_ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.