Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 86 days ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2 Link to Kickstarter project. Posted by ForceFlow (7 years ago)

Post #74 Feedback on Stern editorial control. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #109 Talk about editorial choices. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #120 Confirmation that Batman 66 will be in the book. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #123 Poster(s) shipping arrangements clarified. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #130 Project update announced. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #502 Backer update Posted by Matesamo (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#138 7 years ago

Expanding the LE run... so fitting.

Next, the book bindings will have flaws, and there will be a 'case by case' program where you can ship your book back and Stern will repair it for you... but we won't tell anyone unless you complain!

1 month later
    #294 7 years ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

Sorry about that.
    We are trying hard to balance people's desire for the limited books to be limited and people getting what they want.
    If you have not been able to find a level that suits you please PM me.
    Thanks, Joe

Then simply sell two levels of books and stop the "limited" charade

#388 7 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

So, the kickstarter is over? I've never done one before, does it reopen up for more orders or will there be another way to order for people who missed out? Thanks.

The kickstarter is not the only way to get the product

The kickstarter is asking for funding/pledges to get the project going... usually in exchange for some perks
    Often those perks include a copy of the product

But the idea is the product continues BEYOND the initial effort.. not just be limited to that first effort. It is intended to be a bootstrap to start a project, not be a limited project.

They say in their pitch they will make a 1,000 copies of the book as a minimum run. They can always make more afterwards too if the demand is there.

Don't confuse backers with limiting who can get the product. Just sometimes the perks for backers include limited offers that may not be available to people who were not backers.

1 year later
    #834 6 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Am I the only one who finds it odd that recent events require new edits? The book is supposed to be a historical document. Trudeau worked at Stern and contributed to the book. Why now leave that out? It's not like we leave historic events out of the history books because we didn't like the main players involved. If you're documenting 30 years of Stern, isn't that what it should be? Or should it be 30 years minus a few games?

Nothing new when the subject has editorial control

10 months later
    #1226 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I can just walk away and you have no legal recourse. their business model is flawed since the [starter] doesn't have any legal responsibility to follow through

They have a responsibility to follow through - but they (like all businesses) have no guarantee of success/completion. They can't just take the money and run (fraud) but they can legitimately fail. That's the 'venture' part of the crowd sourcing... vs simply 'buying' something.

Any business you buy from could go bankrupt before they deliver.. but a business starting with limited funding and distribution... has a much higher hill to climb.

1 year later
    #2000 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

The photo of the book with the thumb looks like paperback sized, but the books stacked on the table look like coffee table size. I guess it was just a weird perspective with the thumb or something.

Looks like maybe 10” x13” or so...

#2005 3 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

that would be very pricey to produce. I collect a lot of artbooks and when you go back 10"x10" the price really starts going up.
    I'd guess 8"x10"

The signature page show sure makes it look on that smaller size..

2 months later
    #2217 3 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Look I’m sure they are paying a fulfillment company to ship all these out. Let’s face it Joe is allergic to work, so he would never ship 500 books himself. That adds a bit, probably 30%. Still no excuse for the fleecing.

Yup... bigger book... paying others... a need for better margins... increased prices since the early estimates.. including alot of stuff not in the early estimates (clothing, posters, etc).

#2279 3 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I just posted a reply on their kickstarter page. what joe doesn't realize is that buy using the usps's flat rate boxes, he's subjecting everyone to usps's flat rate charges.
    I [left handedly] let him know to get off his lazy ass and purchase the proper size generic box (which he can do through uline.com) and the shipping costs should be drastically lower.
    again, this is just another instance of them doing the least amount of effort rather than taking some time and investigating.
    additionally, using a flat rate box means that you have to use more packaging material (or probably in this case, he'll probably just ship it without any protection and the 4.5lb book ends up getting banged around, arriving all dinged and dog-eared.
    flat rate (12"x12"x5")
    [quoted image]
    vs. media mail (same size box, same origin, same destination)
    [quoted image]
    and for our international friends, here's a direct comparison with using flat rate vs. your own box which equals a $20 difference
    [quoted image]

You can't just quote media mail though.

Look at the majority of the people complaining about $80-$100+ shipping costs... they didn't just order the book.

Plus media mail is domestic only...

#2286 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I checked international with 6 lbs and shipping with USPS or UPS was 1/2 to 1/3 what he's charging. Total shakedown.

I'm not saying his numbers are good - I'm saying you can't use the examples (in the reply i quoted) to compare with.

#2323 3 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

I doubt it will go on Amazon. They only have 50 extra books. If they are really shipping after Nov 17 maybe I'll get it this month.

well they are about to have a whole lot of 'incompleted purchases' inventory too

1 month later
    #2544 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

But they're not saving money at all. The medium flat rate box, coast to coast is $15.05, using the "free" USPS box. As I just tested with a real book, a 3lb book, sent media mail with tracking arrives in 11 days and cost $3.85, a difference of $11.20 on EACH shipment. Figure $1.20 for a correct-sized book-mailer box and some protective wrap, and they'd still come ahead $10 on EACH shipment. Let's say 300 of the 400 are just books, that's $3000 savings. And if USPS loses 3% of the domestic packages, that's 9 books, I'm sure the $3000 they saved would be enough to send out 9 replacements. It's like they've never managed shipping before. Makes no sense the way they're doing it.

Why do you assume those boxes only contain books? It's already been shown so many backers opt'd for the other upgrades/items. Which would EXCLUDE the use of media mail for those packages. You keep bringing up media mail which isn't usable in most of the cases... including international.

I mean.. I get the critique... but lets keep it realistic.

#2577 3 years ago
    Quoted from audihere:

12.5” x 10.25” x 7/8”
    Don't see NASCAR on the cover.

Wow... my eyeball estimate was pretty damn close

Quoted from flynnibus:

Looks like maybe 10” x13” or so...

3 months later
    #2912 3 years ago

Ironically- they really owe you the jacket more than the book. The backer awards are not dependent on the project’s completion

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter?tu=flynnibus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.