Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 64 days ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2 Link to Kickstarter project. Posted by ForceFlow (7 years ago)

Post #74 Feedback on Stern editorial control. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #109 Talk about editorial choices. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #120 Confirmation that Batman 66 will be in the book. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #123 Poster(s) shipping arrangements clarified. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #130 Project update announced. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #502 Backer update Posted by Matesamo (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dakotamike.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

11 months later
    #2788 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Ah, that's what I get for skimming. But I shipped a book heavier than the pinball one media mail coast to coast for about that same price WITH tracking and it was delivered in 11 days AT CHRISTMAS, the worst time for Media Mail. So them saying they can't do it is a total lie, at least for US customers.

They never said they COULDN'T use media mail, they said they didn't WANT to use media mail. The paper flock guys said that they thought the books were less likely to be lost using Priority Shipping.

That was a judgement call that I don't necessarily agree with. You can get tracking and insurance for Media Mail, so it's a fairly safe method, just slow.

What would have been great is if the paper flock guys gave their backers the option to choose one method or the other. I ship a lot on ebay and if I'm shipping a 4 pound book, the difference between MM and priority can easily be 10 or 20 dollars.

2 weeks later
    #2812 3 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Does that mean they will ship you the book instead? Might be worth it to sell and recoup some of the money

I'd buy it! I missed the KS boat by years and would actually enjoy reading the book, since I don't have any of the baggage all the backers have had to deal with.

#2816 3 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

they can go f--- them selves over this. this should have been communicated to all backers at that level prior to making the [executive] decision of swapping out a $100 jacket with a $20-30 sweatshirt.

I mean at this point, I would have thought you would be resigned to this type of BS from them!

Quoted from pinmaniac:

Totally agree. Also what if we wanted a different size sweatshirt than jacket.

I think we all know that's expecting far too much from the Paperflock crew.

1 month later
    #2923 2 years ago

Well, I just finished reading my copy the other day, and then lent it to my Dad. I was pleasantly surprised with it.

Based on everyone's critical comments, I expected it to be unreadable. I was actually very happy with it. Sure it wasn't a perfect book, but I enjoyed it a lot. I loved the DE/Stern history, and I loved the candid/relaxed pictures of Gary and the gang. The spelling and grammar errors were very minor and mostly went unnoticed. And it's fun to have the complete DE/SEGA/STERN pinball list. While yes, it would have have been nice if the full credits for each game were included, I can easily look that up on IPDB or Pinside, so it's not a huge deal to me. I did think the photo montage of the Stern factory went on a bit too long. Lastly, I enjoyed gleaning little tidbits from the stories and pictures, such as the fact that apparently Joe Kaminkow wears a toupee. So that's something new I learned.

I bought my copy from a European who didn't want to pay for the crazy shipping, so I didn't have any Kickstarter baggage, or a years-long wait to color my opinion. I think most pinball fans would enjoy this book quite a bit. I'm glad I was able to get a copy.

BTW, I was all-in for my copy about $100 including shipping. Paperflock emailed saying that as a late buyer, I could buy one of their spare copies for $200 + $23 shipping! These guys are fleecing at every chance they get! I'm so glad I bought another backer's copy instead. Good book, bad price.

IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpgIMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    #2935 2 years ago
    Quoted from spiroagnew:

Just catching up here. Not surprised at all the further BS this project has bestowed upon the community. I feel bad for all those who firstly had the rug pulled out from under them, and even more so now that they wrapped people in the same rug and then beat them with a tire iron.
    I got the bare bones version of the book delivered around Xmas (with all that added/unrealistic International shipping to Canada). I cracked the spine to start reading it, felt ill, then taken advantage of, then extremely angry. I immediately closed it and filed it away on my shelf--I couldn't bring myself to even look at it after four plus years of Paperflock nonsense. It sits there to this day, unread.
    I feel dirty even giving the book a place on my shelf beside Roger Sharpe's Pinball and Jeff Lawton's Bally bingo book.

Consider selling it to someone else, if you can't bear to read it. It's a good read and a lot of people would love a copy who can't get one. I'm grateful to have my copy.

5 months later
    #2956 2 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

If anybody is interested in selling their copy of the book, do let me know, thank you!

Good luck with your search; it's a good book, well worth owning. As long as you didn't have to wait 5 years and spend 250 dollars anyway. Don't think I could part with mine.

2 years later
    #2964 5 months ago
    Quoted from PMoney:

I don't mean to resurrect what I know has been a rough experience for a lot of the backers of this kickstarter, but I wanted to ask if anyone who currently owns this book would be willing to sell it and for what price? I understand that the book is not well rated, however, I am more interested in owning it as a piece of pinball history (albeit a black eye of one).

Baggage aside, I really like the book. It’s got a lot good info about Stern’s early days, and some nice behind-the-scenes photos that I’d never seen before. Overall, it was a pleasure to read. Particularly since I bought it from a backer and so I didn’t have to wait years for it.

So that’s a long way of me saying that you can’t have mine, but I do think it’s worth owning. So good luck in your hunt!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dakotamike.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter?tu=dakotamike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.