Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2 Link to Kickstarter project. Posted by ForceFlow (7 years ago)

Post #74 Feedback on Stern editorial control. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #109 Talk about editorial choices. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #120 Confirmation that Batman 66 will be in the book. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #123 Poster(s) shipping arrangements clarified. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #130 Project update announced. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #502 Backer update Posted by Matesamo (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider billy16.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#203 7 years ago

I'm interested, but what knocked me off the fence is that on top of the 55 bucks for the book, I have to kick in another 13 for shipping. I'm OK with the price of the book, but shipping is ridiculous.

#205 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Pledge and I will paypal gift you $13 as a Christmas gift if it funds.

Thanks dude, but no way I'd accept that. Very cool of you!

1 week later
    #314 7 years ago

Pinballlew convinced me to get in, so I did. Hopefully you guys will keep the shipping reasonable...media rate option, perhaps?

#319 7 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

$55,000 for a Stern book and you wonder why Stern has overall 2017 price increases, across the board quality problems, and abandoned code updates like Kiss. Jody goes crazy on a GBLE podcast like a lunatic showing why Stern's marketing and social media is anti customer. GBLE playfield replacement program pushed back, etc etc
    Oh a book that gives me an opportunity to send Stern and Paperflock hundreds of dollars, chase the shiny shiny objects...

I'm no great fan of Stern or their business practices, but I am a fan of history. The "company that saved pinball" is trying hard to become "the company that finally killed pinball". There is not much information out there about the history of Stern--maybe Joe will cut through the haze and Stern BS and give us some insight--we'll see.

#342 7 years ago

Well...now that this is funded, let's hear more about the book and where we go from here.

#362 7 years ago

Be nice if we could get this back on track with some positive vibrations....

#365 7 years ago

Super, Robin--there are many positive vibrations!

1 week later
    #398 7 years ago

Jim has a new issue, he just has to finalize it and get it to the printer. Lots of interviews in this one.

Added over 7 years ago: Latest info on the next issues in last post:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/its-back-next-issue-of-pingame-journal-at-expo

2 weeks later
    #401 7 years ago

Way too quiet around here, time for some news...

#405 7 years ago

Not worried, not looking for minute-by-minute updates, but checking in to say "Hi" once in a while would be nice. Joe hasn't posted in 21 days--we sure were kept up to date before this funded fully...

#410 7 years ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

All backers were messaged a link to a private forum to discuss the book as it progresses, that is where the discussion has moved.

Except the forum never seems to work--and there is very little activity on it when it does work. New forum or no, there would not be a book without Pinside, a little news here on occasion is not asking too much.

Quoted from GotAQuestion:

Oh yeah! Another common post-KS strategy. I had forgotten about the new forum. I checked it when they announced it and it's flooded with spammers but really... it's a book. I don't need news unless it's "book is done, ships next week".
    What's there to talk about

We were told backers would have input as to what was going to be contained in the book. That would be nice. There is a lot more flow of information here than what has been generated so far on the PF forum.

1 month later
    #433 7 years ago

I was thinking the same thing, but the last time I mentioned the quiet I got lit up some...so now I'm just waiting to see what happens and hoping for good things.

#435 7 years ago

I'm sure it will all shake out in the wash (most likely), but I would like to have some of the input that had been promised. Perhaps anything Stern is gonna have issues...(cheap shot, I know).

1 month later
    #442 7 years ago

Perhaps an update might be in order.

#447 7 years ago

Already did, and read it all. Looking forward to numero cinco.

2 weeks later
    #449 7 years ago

cricket (resized).jpgcricket (resized).jpg

#454 7 years ago

Funny how people who want our money have plenty of time to keep track of their thread and keep it up to date--until they get the money...

2 weeks later
    #460 6 years ago

Big new post sounds good!

Added over 7 years ago: And the news is...

1 week later
    #468 6 years ago

On top of not being updated--what happened to all the input we were supposed to have? I was hesitant to get involved with this in the first place--this book had better be good.

#470 6 years ago

The other forum has been a nightmare from day one--I finally gave up.

#478 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Well, I think we all know that ain't happening.
    My suggestion to Paperflock, since your entire business model is about crowd funding books, is that if you want to use crowd funding then you have a duty to continue the same communication throughout the process as you did when you were asking for money.
    "Sorry, I've been busy" doesn't work.

Well said.

#484 6 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

This is a book about Stern, why would the communication be different then what Stern provides, lots of silence, excuses, and "Stay Tuned".

Most excellent point. Probably have to deal with fading ink and binding separation as well

#495 6 years ago

I have it on good authority from a third cousin who got this from his cell mate at the Q, the big announcement is as follows: "Thanks for investing, having a great time in Aruba."

#501 6 years ago
    Quoted from puck:

The paper flock team has been really good when I reach out. Today was no exception, they have assured me that an update is coming early next week. Happy happy joy joy
    I have no idea what said update entails but it will be good to have some communication!

See post 495...

#523 6 years ago

Don't care about all the new Sterns, give me the history of the transition from DE to Sega to Stern. This is where you should be spending a lot of time. Anyone can write a fluff piece using easily obtainable info on new machines. It would take some digging and investigation to start at the beginning--which is the part of the story I'm most interested in. A five month wait for Star Wars isn't acceptable--sounds like an excuse for running behind schedule. That would also tend to explain why there has not been any updates or teasers--nothing to report. However, Joe, if you use this extra time to really get into the history of the company, the wait will very possibly be worthwhile.

#530 6 years ago

I am also a supporter, and I guess my question is--where are they right now with the book? It should be ready to be published, but I'll bet my pre-order to Predator it isn't. Just tell us you are behind, sorry about that, and sorry about the lack of communication, but we will be using (some of the) the extra time to further update the book.

#534 6 years ago

Thanks for helping me get thru a few games I would have never finished...

#536 6 years ago

Can you blame anyone on Pinside for being a little skittish about people asking for money upfront, getting the money, disappearing from the forum for weeks on end, not posting updates, extending the completion date and having shipping delays?

1 month later
    #559 6 years ago

Please keep us posted. Joe is great at disappearing, evidently not so good at producing...

#569 6 years ago

How would one know if Joe was on vacation or not, he always seems to be missing--can't always be on "vacation".

#578 6 years ago

Uh, oh. First radio silence, now puck's last post came out silent...

1 week later
    #586 6 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

But, But, But...... you will get a Photo of Hasselhoff playing Baywatch!!!!

Not sure The Hoff knows what the flipper buttons do...but at least you get a photo of Hoff standing in front of Baywatch.

3 weeks later
    #591 6 years ago

Good luck getting a straight answer to that question (or any question).

1 week later
    #601 6 years ago

Well, be nice to hear from Joe once in awhile--but he is probably still on vacation (or something).

#603 6 years ago

Come on Frax, this all is at least worth a medium chuckle!

2 weeks later
    #619 6 years ago

Well, it is almost October, so our books should be on the way any time now--right Joe?

Hello...Joe--you still out there?

#628 6 years ago

Joe has been his own worst enemy here. He was all over this thread until his project fully funded, then disappeared. How hard would it have been to post once in awhile?

#652 6 years ago

But Joe hired a big time writer and shared the foreword (or something), so this must be legit...

#666 6 years ago

Perhaps Joe went one better on the transparent overlays--I think I got my book today, but I'm not sure as the whole thing is transparent...

#669 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

So, was yours an LE or CE?
    Transparent overlays, cover signed by whoever.....

Not really sure, it's kind of hard to see, but I'll list it as a signed super transparent edition on eBay. I'll even throw in free shipping, as it is pretty light...

1 week later
    #693 6 years ago
    Quoted from GotAQuestion:

As a heavy Kickstarter user (thousands spent across dozens of projects) I have to say this is par for the course.
    I'm currently waiting on this book which has been delayed a few months so far, but also:
    * A board game that has been delayed 4 months
    * Another board game that has been delayed 8 months
    * A different game that just announced it's 4th delay this year, pushing it into 2018.
    * A video game that has been delayed 3 years and just published another update this week.
    * 13 total projects, over half of which are in some state of delay or another
    And I recently received a product that was delayed 2 weeks. Earlier this year I received a video game that was delayed 1 year.
    The trend - Kickstarter is never, ever, ever on time. The lowest delay I've ever had was a week. The longest I've heard of that still got delivered is 5 years. I have also backed 2 projects that vanished (a CD and a game) and will never be completed. In general I recommend not using Kickstarter if you can't stomach delays (unfortunately this advice is now late, too). It's not a pre-order system, it's venture capital with a reward at the end.
    All that said, sorry for anyone learning this the first time. The first project usually results in several "WTF Moments" for new backers. I am, however, 100% confident that this book will be made. This is totally normal Kickstarter timeline stuff.

OK, maybe this is the way Kickstarter is done (I'll never participate again), but it is inexcusable that the people who asked for money to fund their project stiffed their backers after obtaining our money, and reneged on/forgot/ignored their promise that backers would have input (or is this also normal Kickstarter practice?). How hard is it to provide timely updates? Sure wasn't hard for Joe and his crew to be omnipresent before their project funded.

#705 6 years ago

Never seen so many exclamation points in my life in the newest PF news release, so I'm sure this book will be epic...

1 month later
    #721 6 years ago

Hey Paperflockers--how about a progress report, only been 32 days or so since the last one...

#723 6 years ago

Not taking that bet, j_m_!

One thing I am sure of--the Paperflockers have shown me the light, I'll never participate in another Kickstarter project...

#727 6 years ago

Joe only kept a close eye on this thread when he was soliciting our money.

#734 6 years ago

That is cool and all, but the P-Flockers have cured me from ever supporting any pinball book on Kickstarter.

#742 6 years ago

If there had been updates every 38 days--that would have been a vast improvement in news from the P-Flockers...and that is still giving them a pass on all the input they were going to solicit from their backers for content of the book.

Inexcusable lack of communication.

1 week later
    #751 6 years ago

I figured there was a 50/50 chance I'd be donating to Joe's vacation fund from the very beginning. Maybe I did, or maybe we get the book--who knows at this point?

#764 6 years ago

No worries if you did not receive this highly sought after collector ornament, as mine is available for the low bargain price of $55, (plus shipping).

#766 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Lucky, I have two $225 versions.

You might want to hang on to those deluxe versions, as I am positive they will continue to rise in value!

#771 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

I think mrbally was being sarcastic...

The was my take on it as well. Hey, Joe--wanna weigh in on this? Surely they have internet in Fiji...

#774 6 years ago

The P-Flockers cured me from all things Kickstarter.

#777 6 years ago

Thanks for getting us an update, h-10.

#788 6 years ago

Wow, Joe is promising an update once a month now! If he actually does it, should only be 5-6 more updates...

#814 6 years ago

Yup, the "you guys don't know how Kickstarter works" is a non-starter--that's not what we are pissed about. Don't hound us for money for your project--which Joe shamelessly did--then disappear once you get it. Joe was always around on Pinside during the countdown to full funding--until suddenly he wasn't, and he has not been back.

#816 6 years ago

Yes, he did hound us until those of us on the fence finally bought into his project and funded it. Many were not really buying what Joe was selling, but he promised the moon if we would just get this funded. The moon set shortly thereafter. Joe's book was dead in the water without the support of Pinside and he knew it.

#819 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

Jesus you've been a broken record since the beginning when you were complaining about shipping charges. Over and over with your bellyaching. People like you make this hobby a chore instead of a fun diversion from real life.

Well, that's like just your opinion, man.

1 month later
    #844 6 years ago

Joe--welcome back. Hope you stay back. Wish you would have never left.

4 weeks later
    #884 6 years ago
    Quoted from puck:

Any update joedp?

Been two weeks...

1 week later
    #891 6 years ago

I've got on my swim trunks but haven't jumped off the ship just yet, as Joe promised us he was really back for good this time. No reason to have any doubts, 'cause you are still out there, right Joe Hello...Joe?

3 weeks later
    #912 6 years ago
    Quoted from puck:

Bump joedp you fall off again?

Nah, Joe said he was back for good this time. Right Joe?

Hello, Joe?

#914 6 years ago

I knew you'd be back, Joe! Now let's get this wrapped up--we all probably deserve something a little extra due to the long wait--and ship this out!

1 month later
    #924 5 years ago

Hey Joe, it's been a month--how about a visit and an update

#926 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

That would actually be pretty cool. Obviously none of us want to see the book slowed down further but it would make it feel more current for sure.

Star Wars sure wasn't a good reason for the delay, but Maiden would make up for it. Best new Stern since this book was proposed (well, even earlier than that), imo.

1 week later
    #941 5 years ago

One step forward, three steps back...

1 week later
    #965 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

They've seen it? That is depressing to read, but I'd really like to have the book anyway since I've paid in, even if it is nothing more than photos of games with information such as was included when they were doing those game reviews for their 30th anniversary for batman 66.

According to Joe the book isn't even put together yet.

#975 5 years ago

Hmmm...maybe Joe shoulda hired you, vireland : )

4 weeks later
    #987 5 years ago

Perhaps your team could contact the P-Flockers and give them some tips...

2 weeks later
    #1004 5 years ago

What is gonna show up first, a sighting of a Model 3 or this book?

#1007 5 years ago
    Quoted from KLR2014:

Update:
    The CD Archive!!!
    Posted by PaperFlock Inc (Creator)
    Hello Backers!
    We are making great progress in design and have just had the opportunity to dive into Stern's highly guarded CD archive!
    This is a really big deal, they are making a huge gesture of trust and dedicating time from their staff to make sure this book looks amazing!
    Below is a tiny taste of what we have found in there.
    Thank you all for your support and patience, Joe and Dameon, the Paperflock team

Are we supposed to be excited because they are still gathering info for this book, or concerned because they are still gathering info for this long overdue book?

#1016 5 years ago

I think the Flockers should hold things off just a little longer until Elvira 3 is out...

1 week later
    #1045 5 years ago

Speaking of Joe...he hasn't disappeared on us again, has he?

1 week later
    #1049 5 years ago

I think I found who should have written the book in the "Stern Nabs Godzilla" thread. Frippertron really gave a nice, concise history here:

Quoted from Frippertron:

People forget that at one time Gary Stern and his old man were the "little guy". The reason so few classic Stern Electronics games exist (with a couple exceptions) is not because people didn't like them, but Bally cock blocked them every chance they got. Bally wouldn't give operators deals if they bought Stern machines. Talk about screwing someone over! Gary Stern fought back eventually forming Data East, which was seen as a second class producer. Despite this, they found a way to acquire great licenses and grow. Data East becomes Sega and Sega becomes Stern. Gary went from second class citizen to top of the pinball heap with hard work and I'm sure a little ruthlessness. He took his lumps and i'm sure Charlie Emery will come back stronger with every minor setback he experiences as long as he perseveres and thinks outside the box.

2 weeks later
    #1051 5 years ago

Hey Joe, it has been 81 days since we last heard from you. I know you have not disappeared (again), as you told us you were back to stay (again). However, I was expecting an update by about day 57--so you are a little overdue. Not that I'm anxious or anything, I know you are busy (still), but some tidbit of information might be of interest to your backers. Thanks.

#1054 5 years ago

Oh, come one now...Joe disappeared once he got funded, then came back and promised not to disappear (several times) and did so anyway, and we have not heard from him in almost three months--but hey, I still have (a tiny amount of) hope for ol' Joe. Time to rise from the dead, Joe!

But ya know, the longer this drags on the more I think if we ever do get our books, they are gonna suck...

Added over 6 years ago:

Stupid spell check put an "e" where it didn't belong.

Ummm...Joe, my faint hope is dimming--come on dude--time for a mystical re-appearance!

#1064 5 years ago

Joe has been abducted!

#1080 5 years ago

Usually when we stir the pot this much Joe magically shows up and vows he's back for good. Not this time, Joe?

#1094 5 years ago

I am so stoked! Now, what was this book about, again?

#1103 5 years ago
    Quoted from puck:

What is everyone going to do with the book if and when they get it?

I’m gonna flip mine—figure I can get at least $30 for it. Plus shipping, of course...

2 weeks later
    #1115 5 years ago

Bummer--I thought maybe Joe had re-surfaced...

1 week later
    #1135 5 years ago

Every time there is a new post, I check expecting (well...hoping--actually) to hear from Joe. Joe said he was back for good (you know...he promised this several times come to think of it), and he always delivers (hmmm...that may not be exactly correct, either), so I'm still waiting to see his post. Maybe the interns require a lot of supervision, or he is just busy--or something...

1 week later
    #1165 5 years ago

The Flockers are keepin' it alive and keepin' it real! I figure after a few more discoveries of lost information from Stern, another group of spunky interns and a new graphic designer (or two), this should be ready for X-Mas........2019.

1 week later
    #1189 5 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

You can't finish what hasn't been started

Ha! Word has it the newest batch of interns and the fourth graphic designer are just about ready to begin some serious prepping to get ready to start working on the book...

1 week later
    #1215 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I never even received the crappy paper xmas ornament. now I feel really cheated

You sir, are in luck! I will have my crack team of interns and a newly hired layout man get right on creating you one of these very rare and highly sought after P-Flocker ornaments! For the low price of $55 (plus applicable state and local taxes, and add-in handling and shipping) this keepsake can be yours! Happy to spread holiday cheer to Pinsiders!! Guaranteed delivery by X-mas 2019 (or so, depending on how the interns and my new layout man work out...)!!!

2 weeks later
    #1219 5 years ago

Seems communications are slow between Pinside and the Flockers, so I'd like to wish the newest layout man (or woman) and the current batch of interns an early Happy Thanksgiving! I know this is an exciting time of the year with all the holidays coming up, so your minds won't be on doing much of anything with the book, most likely. Perhaps after the New Year you might crack open the rough draft and peruse it---or, maybe you might even directly look at whatever work you were supposed to have done! Have to get started sooner or later, I suppose, so let's make 2019 the year this really happens! (or--2020 has a nice ring to it if you are too busy...).

If you move-on from P-Flock during the holidays (like all the interns and layout guys before you), please pass along these good wishes to your replacements!

3 weeks later
    #1242 5 years ago

I have full confidence that as soon as Joe gets back from Aruba and hits Starbucks to find the yet-to-be-hired newest batch of interns and the 4th (5th, 6th?) layout person, this baby will get moving! Or at least started...

Hmm...judging from the photos looks like Joe really is in Aruba! Have a Mai Tai for me, Joe (and make sure they use the good rum, you can afford it)!

#1256 5 years ago

Dear Joe,

Glad to see you and one of your interns are having a swell time. I sent you plenty of cash, so please dump that dopey shirt and get something Tommy Bahama. Thanks--looking forward to the next photo.

#1270 5 years ago

Joe is looking tanned, fit and ready to really get after it! Big news on Monday!

1 week later
    #1321 5 years ago

Ah, no worries--that cool X-mas ornament (of sorts) was almost worth it

1 month later
    #1367 5 years ago

Huh...I thought I had already read and forgotten about this book. Now Joe tells me I haven't even received it yet? Guess I still have that to look forward to...

#1400 5 years ago

I'm sure Joe has the interns busy signing stuff as we speak...

#1405 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

[quoted image]

Hmmm...the new batch of interns looks to be much improved.

#1425 5 years ago

Well, maybe... It seems to me that Joe has taken a new and more exciting tack for all of us (well, at least for him, anyway) of looking for the most rare of pinball machines located in Tahiti, Bora Bora, Aruba, Grand Cayman, Monte Carlo, the French Riviera, and parts beyond. It will not be an easy task, but judging from all the cool photos Joe is posting it seems like he is knocking it dead! You go, Joe--hope you find something (ummm...pinball related of course)! And, keep us posted on your newest interns--they are really starting to look a lot better the last few photos!

3 weeks later
    #1436 5 years ago

Evidently...pinball books are hard.

2 weeks later
    #1479 5 years ago

I'm thinking we might be better off if Joe did blow all our money taking the interns to Bora Bora and the Cayman's. Keep the photos coming Joe, that might be the best return we get. If this book does make it to print, I'm visualizing an amateurish hack job resulting in a big dose of disappointment.

1 month later
    #1491 5 years ago

The interns just came across another treasure trove of photos, so it may take just a short while longer...

2 weeks later
    #1534 4 years ago

I think Joe needs to take more interns on vacation...

#1547 4 years ago

Where is the improved page featuring all the hot interns on vacation?

#1564 4 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

this is the comment that I plan to post to kickstarter today:
    joe and co.
    here's the problem as well as the facts (and yes, I'm one of those whiney naysayers):
    - the book is now 2 years overdue
    - not once have you apologized for the repeated delays or taken ownership of your shortcomings and lack of planning on this project
    - you waited until well after the project was fully funded before even putting together a basic layout and hiring an editor. these are things that should have been thought out well ahead of even offering the book as a kickstarter funded project
    - you failed to uphold your promise to deliver monthly updates
    it's hard to get excited about the updates because they don't really give us any sense of real progress being made, just more boilerplate rhetoric to appease your backers and bide yourself a bit more time.
    from my perspective, the delays might have been a bit easier to swallow if you were someone that appeared to be actually passionate about the hobby and this project. unfortunately, you don't seem to be that person. if you were, you wouldn't have joined pinside.com, one of the largest pinball forum communities simply to try and garner sales, promise frequent updates and then completely vanish
    fact: you joined pinside and posted right after you launched the kickstarter project on oct 18, 2016 and then disappeared after may 21, 2018 (with a mere 6 posts after promising monthly updates 16 months prior)
    with all that being said, I really don't expect what is finally produced (if it ever reaches completion) will be anything than mediocre as best
    just my 2 cents as someone that *is* passionate about the hobby

Well, that just about sums it all up. Nice post.

#1582 4 years ago

That is the excuse the P-Flockers used for the delay in the first place--getting Batman66 into the book--or was it GB? Been so long I don't exactly recall.

#1584 4 years ago

Man, it has been a long time--SW!

#1587 4 years ago

Pinball is hard. Pinball books are hard. Planning on which intern to take to what vacation spot and spending all the pinball book money is even harder.

#1591 4 years ago

Unless the P-Flockers turn out the best looking pinball book ever, no one is gonna be happy after all this delay. What I'm seeing would have flown if this was delivered on time, but not now.

#1606 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

All the people saying it's "never going to happen they just stole our money", they're quiet now. That's a good thing.

I just figured Joe and the intern-of-the-week(end) had way more fun with that $55 than I would have...

1 month later
    #1635 4 years ago

Hoping for a few bonus pages of Joe and the interns frolicking on vacation...

1 month later
    #1663 4 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Sorry, you'll have to read Pinball Magazine for that

I hope that little dig means you are going to do an article on the story of Stern!

#1666 4 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

At some point, very likely, although an 'article' wouldn't cover it. I actually already have most of the games photographed. Priority, however, is a different cover story. But someday . . .

That will be a must have for me (and a lot of others I'd think). Do it!

1 month later
    #1716 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

I can’t believe I will still have to cough up shipping on two books if this gets made

I may have to eat my book payment rather than send these yahoos more money. Whose to say Joe and a few select interns won't go on another vacation with the shipping money?

1 month later
    #1730 4 years ago

Hmmm...what would the interns prefer---Ohio? Or Arruba, The Grand Caymans, Las Vegas, Cancun?

3 weeks later
    #1744 4 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

[quoted image]

Uh oh, that can't be good...guess I'll just have to bust out the super cool X-mas "ornament" again this year and be happy with that.

#1760 4 years ago

Someone (calling MrBally) please find some more photos of Joe and the interns spending our money at various tropical locations--at least I can see where the last of the $ went.

1 week later
    #1778 4 years ago

What gets me is Joe says that Stern is signing off on all this--yet Stern seems to disavow any involvement. Hmmm...

#1787 4 years ago
    Quoted from ausretrogamer:

No book under our Christmas tree this year. Maybe next Christmas :-/[quoted image]

Ahh...who needs a book after getting such an heirloom of an ornament.

1 week later
    #1794 4 years ago

Maybe the book would get done faster if Joe only hired male interns...

1 week later
    #1807 4 years ago

Well...Joe does know how to show the interns a good time.

1 week later
    #1814 4 years ago

If this book ever hits print, I'd be surprised if this IM is in it.

e7e1a90ed48cb2cee9e173d81e194d9c386515c0 (resized).jpge7e1a90ed48cb2cee9e173d81e194d9c386515c0 (resized).jpg
    #1823 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Media mail (their most likely shipping method) is around $5. The box is probably 50-75 cents, so that's over $2,500 just for shipping - 5% of what they took in.

They have not charged us for shipping yet. That's coming (well, perhaps sometime much later this year), and it will be way more than $5.75.

#1829 4 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Paperflock can't even pay their web hosting fees and you guys are talking about shipping? lol

Only a matter of time before Joe hits us up for shipping. Another source of income so Joe can keep the party goin' on.

#1837 4 years ago

Well...I'm in, as long as that price includes a spiffy cardboard X-mas ornament and you promise to regularly post photos of you and the interns on vacation.

1 month later
    #1861 4 years ago

I can already see this, “ Happiest of summer vacation greetings—good news and bad news to report. The books are finished, and boy did they turn out better than our wildest expectations! Now the not so good news...they were shipped to our fulfillment partners warehouse, but a tremendous fire burned it to the ground. All the books and cool incentives went up in flames. This concludes our obligations.” Joe

1 week later
    #1878 4 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Cavemen could have chiselled this book into the rock faces of a cave faster than it’s took Joe to get this book put together and ready for printing!

Yes, but cavemen didn't have to get multiple final approvals from Stern.

Wait a minute...Stern disavows any knowledge or participation regarding this book...uh, oh.

1 week later
    #1884 4 years ago

After all the delays and BS, I can't believe Joe thinks spelling our names correctly is a priority.

1 month later
    #1905 3 years ago

Pretty sure Joe DP is just waiting for some more approvals from Stern (except Stern denies any knowledge or involvement with his book). No worries, Joe--hope the present climate hasn't stopped you and the interns from your endless partying at exotic beachfront locations--I do want to feel I'm getting my monies worth.

1 week later
    #1915 3 years ago

Someone is playing loose with the truth. Stern has consistently denied any involvement since this went south, while Joe keeps telling us Stern is holding him up.

1 month later
    #1929 3 years ago

Every time I've forgotten about this stupid deal someone makes a new post reminding me that the stupid book is still DOA.

1 week later
    #1938 3 years ago

This just in from Stern: "Joe DP? We hardly know the guy!"

#1942 3 years ago

This just in from Stern: "George Gomez? We hardly know the guy!"

#1952 3 years ago

I don't know about you, but I am absolutely jazzed that Joe will be posting again within two weeks! If anyone knows how to maintain a timeline and follow through on promises, it's gotta be Joe DP!

...wait a minute

#1961 3 years ago

I heard from a distant cousin of one of the interns that Slash was unavailable so they got Weird Al Yankovic to do it instead.

1 month later
    #1984 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

People all over FB like "I want one, where can I buy it!", lol!

I just happened to receive some info about that from my sisters second cousins cellmate, both of whom are currently doing time at The Q. How they got this info before us is baffling.

"Great news Kickstarter backers--the book is done and has been printed! However, turns out I had to pay the interns after all and needed some fast cash, so the entire first batch has been sold on Facebook for $35 a copy. Not to worry, the second printing of books will be done before the 4th quarter of '20 and will be in your mailbox in no time--and at no extra cost to you (well...other than shipping--which isn't cheap). Thanks for your support!!" Joe DP

3 weeks later
    #2024 3 years ago

Is anyone gonna fill out the new survey JoeDP just sent around? Why should we have to fill out some survey before our long ago paid for books ship? I'm guessing we'll get a shipping notice via email either way. You have already screwed this up enough, Joe, you got one last chance to buy back just a few good vibrations--don't blow it (again).

#2033 3 years ago

I think Joe should have a drawing from the returned surveys--winner gets to tag along on the next exotic getaway with the interns.

#2034 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

Do the books that Slash signed look larger than the earlier pics?

Either that or Slash is built like a typical guitar hero, 5-6 and 145 lbs.--makes the 8x10 book look huge.

#2036 3 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

The back kit questionnaire isn't at all what you described. It's used to add on anything you may want in addition to your pledge, fill out a new address, etc. This is standard for any of these backer projects.

Nothing has been standard about this backer project.

1 week later
    #2078 3 years ago

If this is all done and ready to go, what is the hold up?

1 week later
    #2086 3 years ago

Joe has cured me from doing any future biz with him and anything involving interns or Kickstarter.

1 week later
    #2098 3 years ago

Interesting that Joe's Kickstarter "This is The Big One!" earth-shaking post has elicited nothing but indifference and yawns from Pinside. At this point, Joe, I don't think anyone much cares--just waiting to see how much you are gonna gouge us for shipping this monumental tome. Oh, and good luck selling those spiffy $25 (plus shipping) left over T-shirts, and on your next epic pinball book...

#2101 3 years ago

On the up side Joe did claim that our books are now valued at 90 bucks, so we all got a bargain. Yo Joe, most of that alleged increased "value" is due to 4 years of inflation and/or increased costs--the rest is your inflated opinion of your work (well, the interns work).

#2117 3 years ago
    Quoted from blowback1976:

Yes. Mine was the $125 pledge level with a shirt, and the shipping was $62. I added the poster as an add on, and got bumped to $72. What a joke. Will be happy once this Kickstarter is done.

That is unreal. I might eat the buck twenty five rather than throw JoeDP that much more money to ship.

#2136 3 years ago

Joe, I have a better suggestion than paying your outrageous shipping charges--how about you do some anatomically impossible act with yourself!

#2139 3 years ago

No, and I suggest everyone send a complaint to Kickstarter. I had to do a lot of hunting around to find a way to send them an email, but finally located it on their Kickstarter webpage. It is obvious what slimeball Joe is trying to do--recoup as much money as possible on his "now valued at $90" book via excessive shipping charges.

Hopefully this helps, the link is at the right top of the page.

https://help.kickstarter.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005126434-Common-Pledge-Problems

#2144 3 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisBardon:

I don't think you'll get much help from KS. They don't guarantee any projects, and will probably just say to take it up with Joe.
    That being said, I just sent him an email asking what was up with the shipping charges. If he's going and getting quotes for next day air, that could explain the cost?

You all are delusional if you think Joe is gonna ship anything "next day air"--he is gonna ship via "slow boat scow" and pocket the difference.

Quoted from ChrisBardon:

...and will probably just say to take it up with Joe.

I also did this and have demanded a refund. Waiting on a reply from the interns...

#2184 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Exactly. He knows he’s got us by the short and curlies. We have no choice but to pay these obscene shipping rates.

Yeah, we do, although it isn't a great option. I wrote off the initial investment a long time ago and I refuse to give these assh@les any more of my money. If we win the shipping cost battle I'll pay for actual shipping, but I'm not funding Joe's next vacation.

#2192 3 years ago

Well...someone called the shot, Kickstarter sent me a nice response to my complaint stating that I should contact their "creator" to dispute any issues, as they would not involve themselves. My response to Kickstarter was not so polite. Never again will I involve myself with anything remotely relating to their bulls!t company, as their "creators" have carte blanche to do whatever the hell they want.

#2210 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I have some time on my hands. I’ll pick them all up and ship them myself if someone can track him down.

That is a great offer from you and I appreciate it--but good luck tracking down Slimeball Joe and/or getting a straight answer out of him if you do find him. Maybe our best chance at locating Joe will be when he posts another vacation photo or when he comes back to Pinside soliciting money for his next book

#2213 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Doesn’t look like a residence. Maybe a hotel? Mail pickup service?
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Figures Joe is living in a rent-by-the-hour hotel...

#2247 3 years ago

They should offer Media Mail on all the domestic books and get off their ass (or have the interns do it it they aren't vacationing with Joe) and find a more reasonable way to ship internationally.

#2276 3 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

This is like 20 minutes away from me. If the books are here, could I or someone else local volunteer to pick them up and ship them for closer to actual cost? I never ordered a book but these prices are ridiculous.

Who knows where Joe has these stashed, but if you were able to do this I (and I'm sure the other Pinsiders as well) would gladly send you a handling fee for your efforts--I'd rather give my money to a member of Pinside than send another dime to Oily Joe.

#2291 3 years ago

Ahh yes, I have learned about accountability on Kickstarter from their very thoughtful correspondence---there is none, and none is required. Perfect!

#2297 3 years ago

It's a big win for the Paperf*ck-ups if they refund the paltry $55 we pledged--they can sell them for what Joe says they are now worth, 90 bucks, and take another vacation!

#2311 3 years ago

I'm taking a refund as well. There probably will be a glut of books on the market--these will not be the collectible item that Paperfluck thinks they are. Look for them to be in the bargain bin in six months.

#2314 3 years ago

I just sent Kickstarter a request for a refund, proof of receipt of my request ASAP (since Schmoe put and end date of less than a week on the requests), and thanked them for all the hard work and oversight of their "creator"--and for taking 5% of my refund.

#2324 3 years ago

They will have plenty of extra books from all the cancellations.

great minds...

#2330 3 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

I never got a backer-kit however *sigh* this is still why I want my book. I'll message here when Joe sends me an e-mail with shipping rate. I'm at the $125 level.
    1) I have been waiting FOUR years.
    2) Curiosity killed the cat? Is the book good or bad? Only way to find out is receive it.
    3) I hope Jack Danger, etc were right saying it's awesome.
    4) I paid for the book at the time with a pre-paid credit card that no longer exists. Not sure if it could be changed to another credit card.
    5) I'm hoping shipping isn't that bad from CA to MA.

Between Joe and Danger gushing about how great this 4 year opus and work of art is--how could it possibly be otherwise?

#2362 3 years ago

My slightly used but treasured ornament is available free to anyone who wants it. Just pay the normal (and very reasonable) shipping of $25 in the US or $110 internationally. Shipping will occur in a very quick turnaround of 60-90 days.

#2365 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

I bailed on this and asked for refund. Has anyone who’s done this received an acknowledgment from Paperf*ck?

I finally got one, but only after I sent at least 5 requests for a refund. I was finally acknowledged and instructed that the only way to get on the refund list was to message directly thru Kickstarter to Paperfluck--which is a little tricky to do--but I figured it out. Tomorrow is the last day--good luck!

#2367 3 years ago

Much better link in next post.

#2375 3 years ago

I was offered this deal as well a couple of days ago. Hard pass. Since Joe is offering enameled pins (that he probably can't sell) as an enticement to pay the exorbitant shipping I am pretty sure he no longer has any control over it. Guessing he put the shipping out for bid, didn't really care about the result to his backers, took the highest bid and left us to worry about the ridiculous costs. Joe, this project just keeps improving...

I asked for an expedited refund, which I noted seems only fair since they've had my money to do whatever with for four years. Answer was a curt "It will take 60-90 days" with no explanation as of why that might be.

#2381 3 years ago

Anyone consider that Joe may just take your money and not ship anything? I can just see this coming: "Big news--the fulfillment company we contracted with tells us their warehouse burned down, taking all the books with it. We are sorry, but we are out of money and out of business--thanks for your support!"

#2401 3 years ago

My take on all this...Joe can go Paperfluck himself.

#2408 3 years ago

Swinks is correct, Joe told his backers the P-Fluckers had printed 500 books. Hard to believe that Joe isn't being 100% up-front about something--I'm shocked.

#2412 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities, out of the 500 books about 56 were reserved for company people, Stern people, Slash, etc... and only 444 are actually for sale.
    They will absolutely make another run of this book. (If they start now they might be able to get it ready for the 35th anniversary)

Trying to guess what the P-Fluckers real intentions are is like trying to guess what's really in that hot dog. I'd rather go with the hot dog...

#2415 3 years ago
    Quoted from marcus0202:

I am considering buying a 400-page hard-cover coffee table book and having it shipping from England to Texas. Cost: 6 GBP.
    [quoted image]

Obviously a scam as everyone now knows that it costs at least $110 to ship that.

Speaking of scams--anyone actually get their hands on a book yet?

#2446 3 years ago

Delays, lack of information, reneging on promises, disappeared from Pinside after their project funded. Not to worry, as there were more ridiculous delays and outright lies to come. To top all that off it is absolutely beyond belief that the PaperChumps have charged an outrageous amount for shipping and have not yet managed to ship anything weeks later (just all part of their "premium service"). If they had shipped via USPS media rate (comes with tracking) everyone would have had their books by now at a fraction of the cost. Nice work PaperFlucks--looking forward to your next project...

#2456 3 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Historical, with some color pics , drawings, and photos. But not stuffy history, more like a buddy with inside knowledge telling a story. Definitely a required read for atari enthusiasts. Not to hijack the thread, but just wanted to show some people know how to ship trans atlantic for pennies compared to joedp.[quoted image]

Big difference is that guy is doing right by his backers rather than taking a big cut out of shipping like the P-Fluckers. Got to pay for that next vacation...

#2483 3 years ago

Whaat!? After spending the weekly grocery money for shipping, you want the Paperflucks to actually box your stuff up and ship it? That might be asking too much from them.

1 week later
    #2499 3 years ago

So Damien is now getting a cut out of the shipping on top of Joe. Swell. Where are the interns when you need them?

#2514 3 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Got word that my book hasn't shipped yet. And apparently it's the fault of everyone who didn't respond to their surveys in good time?
    from their emails: "We had to wait until the majority of backers completed their surveys to place the orders for non-book items and finalize everything to start shipping. Unfortunately most backers did not respond within the requested time frame and we had to extend our deadline past Thanksgiving, which put us square in the holiday rush. We locked all orders by the end of November, all items are either printing or already printed, and we expect to begin shipping in the next 1-2 weeks.
    Since we lost our shipping consolidator this year, Dameon is doing all the shipping himself so it will take a few weeks to get all 400 packages out the door.
    You will receive tracking when your package ships.
    ----
    The way Backerkit works is we can’t print labels or begin shipping anything until all or most of the surveys are completed, everything is locked, and payment is collected for shipping. We were able to lock orders and are finalizing everything to begin the shipping process some time next week. "
    so much for xmas 2021, here's to xmas 2022

Oh OK, it is the backers fault nothing has shipped because we were late returning our surveys? Which survey--the first one Joe sent out wanting to know if we were ready to order his next book? Or maybe it was the second survey--where most of us had a hard time deciding if we were going to give these idiots more money by paying their exorbitant shipping charges. Maybe enough people ponied-up for shipping so the P-Fluckers can use that money for all the refunds they will be giving. Then Joe will ship everything Media Mail as "Sorry, we are out of money and Damian is having a hard time with the shipping so we went the cheapest route."

#2533 3 years ago

Well what have we got...I see the Paperflucks with some photos of boxes...and I see the P-Fluckers are telling us they are shipping. One thing I've learned from these guys the last 4 years is anything Joe promises--well, you can take that to the bank! Umm...wait just a minute...maybe I'll actually believe these morons when some Pinsiders receive their books first quarter 2021. Love to hear the reviews of this long awaited masterpiece...

#2545 3 years ago
    Quoted from GeekedOnPinball:

...Really don't understand why Stern chose these people given how good Stern is at manufacturing and regularly pushing out three games on time each year... Gary Stern has to be pissed about how this went down.

Stern has never been fully behind this project. When things looked to be going good they offered assistance and were somewhat involved. When things started going south (years ago now), Stern disappeared--it was more like "What book?" As far as I know they have not really commented about the finished product nor made any effort to light a fire behind the P-flockers to get the book out.

#2581 3 years ago

Well, now...if both Joe DP and Jack are of the opinion "This is the best pinball book ever!", I feel confident that it absolutely must be even better than that.

1 week later
    #2613 3 years ago
    Quoted from waymon:

Got my book today. Kinda mad because it is damaged. Of corse!!
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, I can't believe that could happen with the "Premium Shipping Service" (and correlating price) being so thoughtfully provided by the P-flockers. One can only guess how much damage might be done using the much cheaper Media Mail (wait a minute...the same goofs do the handling and delivery--so chances are equal)!

I'd want an undamaged book, but good luck getting these scrubs to do anything for you.

#2619 3 years ago

Dameon is working up to the more complicated "Premium Shipping" packages...

1 week later
    #2677 3 years ago

Wow...nice article, thanks for the review. As suspected, this is not close to being "the best pinball book ever"...

1 week later
    #2731 3 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisBardon:

So 60 days out-has anyone seen a refund yet? Nothing on my end so far.

I recently sent another message asking for the status of my refund and got a "we'll let you know when it goes out--whenever that is" kind of response from the P-flockers. As with anything these idiots do--who knows if they will really follow thru or not.

#2734 3 years ago
    Quoted from RebelGuitars:

Seems like a lot have received their books, at least in the US. Why did you cancel right at the very end? Priority shipping was 23.00.

Why wouldn't I demand a refund? If you'll recall Joe gave any unhappy backers less than 48 hours to cancel before anything was shipped. I would not send these morons another dime.

#2740 3 years ago

If you want a straight answer maybe contact Yeti on Facebook--he is usually pretty active there.

#2744 3 years ago

I guess 100-plus bucks for packaging and shipping just doesn't go as far as it used to...

#2751 3 years ago

Thanks for posting the Tron pages!

#2760 3 years ago
    Quoted from mkk629:

In their interview on The SAPS, they said that there were books available because some people cancelled their orders. I was unaware of the Kickstarter project before that interview, and the book sounded intriguing to me, so I contacted them through their website and ordered one. Received it a couple of weeks ago.

Well, that's good. Now maybe the P-Flockers will send out the first refund to someone. 60 days has long ago come and gone--90 days hits this week.

#2761 3 years ago

Evidently the money from selling one book might have gone to Joe, Dameon, or a lucky intern. This just in from the P-Flockers in response to my latest "where's my refund?" update request:

"You will receive an email notification when your refund has been processed. I do not have an ETA at this time but we are working on it".

Best,
    Emma

#2767 3 years ago

As my old gym coach used to say: "Alright, line up alphabetically shortest to tallest!" Must be something like that.

2 weeks later
    #2791 3 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisBardon:

...Still nothing on the promised refund.

One thing you can take to the bank, when Joe DP promises something--it is set in stone...

#2796 3 years ago
    Quoted from GeekedOnPinball:

Anyone else met with kind of angry and mean responses from Paperflock "customer service"?

I just asked again where our refunds were, and suggested if they had no intentions of issuing them to admit it. I was told there was no timetable, but they would remove me from the refund list if I'd like. I'm thinking this counts as a semi-angry response...

#2808 3 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

you should post a screen cap of your conversation here (redacting anything that you need to). if others get this same type of response, they should take it all to kickstarter.

I've complained to Kickstarter several times. They have been completely uninterested, but perhaps an avalanche of complaints might kick them into gear.

1 week later
    #2824 3 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

I would put the jacket fiasco thing at the tippity top.
    1) A $100 jacket promised that turned into a $30 sweatshirt.
    2) Charging hundreds or whatever for $20 shipping or so for your book and rewards. HOWEVER you could get a refund.
    3) Taking 4 years to make the book but it was delivered as promised.
    The jacket was at the $500 tier for reference and only included a select 11 people. I think that was the ultimate sin in the end for backers which is ironic because they are the biggest supporters of this project. I am extremely sorry for those folks, wow. There has got to be a way to get a refund in some fashion for the difference.

Well...many have asked for a refund, however the P-Fockers have not issued any of the promised refunds nor do they have any timetable for when they might issue a refund or two. Best of luck getting one on the bait-and-switch jacket. It never ends with these yahoos.

#2829 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Relax, Joe was busy today getting his Covid shot as posted on social media. Best, Emma, accompanied him per the photo.

Thank goodness Joe and Best, Emma are gonna be OK...

#2835 3 years ago
    Quoted from The_Blues:

Okay, I got a tracking number and my Slash-Package is on it‘s way. I‘m pretty curious what I‘ll recieve, since I‘ve been told that there‘s a jacket inside.
    I‘ll keep you posted, but it‘s a long way to germany and the customs office might want to take a sniff.

I have a feeling that jacket may look pretty much like a sweatshirt.

#2854 3 years ago
    Quoted from Backyardace:

I think anyone who received a hoodie should get $50 refunded. That is not cool. However, I don’t think anyone has received a refund so...

Hey, I know the answer to this one!

"No refunds have been issued and there is no time table for when they will be issued."
    Best, Emma

#2863 3 years ago
    Quoted from nowakster:

I reached out to them and this is what I heard...
    The Zombie Yeti poster is shipping separately in a poster tube. The posters are currently with the artist awaiting signatures, but we do not have an ETA at this time.
    Best,
    Emma

Best, Emma never has an ETA for anything.

#2869 3 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

received my bullsh*t package with the sweatshirt instead of my jacket today. also wondering why it cost me $70 for a priority flat rate box that ships for $15
    when's the class action lawsuit? sign me up.
    stern should be ashamed of themselves for aligning with these hacks and offer those of us that were f*cked some sort of restitution.

I know!--that extra 55 bucks would just make one book refund...

1 week later
    #2893 3 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Truth? LOL[quoted image]

Hoping for a refund, Joe--which would indeed be be "more than what they hoped for"...

Best, Billy

1 month later
    #2938 2 years ago

I've done my share of P-Flocker bashing--but credit where credit is due. I once again asked for a refund and this time I was credited 50 bucks thru PayPal.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider billy16.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter?tu=billy16 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.