Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2 Link to Kickstarter project. Posted by ForceFlow (7 years ago)

Post #74 Feedback on Stern editorial control. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #109 Talk about editorial choices. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #120 Confirmation that Batman 66 will be in the book. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #123 Poster(s) shipping arrangements clarified. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #130 Project update announced. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #502 Backer update Posted by Matesamo (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Wolfmarsh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#117 7 years ago

Do you guys have any plans to do a cheaper paperback version or an even cheaper digital version? I'm not much of an "actual book" person.

#125 7 years ago

Sorry if I missed the answer earlier, and that's why you aren't responding, but do you guys have any plans to do a cheap digital version?

I don't collect/buy physical books really, but i'd throw down a ten spot for a digital pdf copy to read.

#127 7 years ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

*So possible, but not right now, and not for a long while.

Haha, I'll accept that.

Thanks for putting this together.

1 week later
    #164 7 years ago

Getting banned from Stern's facebook page is not as uncommon as you would think.

Welcome to the club, there's a lot of us.

#172 7 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Meanwhile this guy is just like banhammering this and that.

Hahaha, you have no idea how true that is. Banning people from Facebook is the way he tries to assert dominance.

4 weeks later
    #187 7 years ago

There is a typo in the $2500 reward level. Unless there is a didication page.

SuperLE (resized).pngSuperLE (resized).png

6 months later
    #494 6 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

Oh, makes sense...umm..I need to start a Kickstarter for something to make a quick 50Gs...anyone want to help me fund building a 100 title collection, I'll write a book about it

That's a gofundme.

4 weeks later
    #551 6 years ago

Seems like almost none of the kickstarters are familiar with the concepts of burn rate or runway.

It will always be a catch-up game for them as they spend not only the profits but the raw materials cash over the course of a year or two, then wonder why they don't have enough money for the actual production run.

Then they start another kickstarter, and use the money from that kickstarter to pay for the first one's overages. It's a cycle that will continue and compound until it explodes, unless someone with some business sense steps in.

This is part of the reason Kickstarter is so attractive to "entrepreneurs" over traditional funding methods. No interest, no timelines, no expectations other than customers who have been trained to go "oh, delays aren't important with kickstarters, it happens".

3 months later
    #674 6 years ago

I asked on Facebook.

I assume this is OK to share since it is a public post.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#677 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

Can you tell him his backers are going mental over here with no updates?

I was just curious if they would respond more than anything. Someone with a more vested interest would be better suited to communicate to them.

Quoted from J85M:

Thanks for messaging Wolf, but that response is pathetic, considering how quiet Joe has been for this duration of time that response is just not adequate or professional.

I didn't expect much beyond what I got, but I can understand how disappointing it is.

#695 6 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

You have to communicate. It's not optional. It's a must.

+1000

Sometimes telling customers the truth is painful, but hiding things only makes it worse. I've never had a client get mad at me for being honest with them and telling them things in a timely manner.

7 months later
    #955 5 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Anybody hear the latest Slam Tilt Podcast? Hahaha ohhh man.

Can someone summarize?

3 months later
    #1114 5 years ago

I backed fireball island as well, can't wait.

1 week later
    #1127 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I wonder if Paperflock would pay Jon or would he have to pay them to work for them?

With what money? I'd wager to guess everything except the money to pay for the printing is gone at this point.

2 months later
    #1254 5 years ago

He deserves all the mockery at this point. All he had to do was make good on his promise to keep communicating, and he can't even carve out 10 minutes a week to post something for you all.

Loser.

#1273 5 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

This just popped up in KS:

Hello Kickstarter Backers,

I know you guys are waiting for an update. I'm sorry we have been quiet this month, but I promise we have been making progress!

This is just a micro-update to let you know that we will be posting a bigger update on Monday!

Thanks for your patience, Joe and Dameon, and the Paperflock Team

Joe, I know you read this, so I am going to give you some unsolicited advice in an effort to try and help you.

- Don't write updates like this. It has no substance and contains the same promise you have already broken to your customers. This is poor PR.

- Understand that you currently owe your customers something. These aren't customers outside a closed store on Black Friday waiting to spend their money, they've already spent it with you. If you can't deliver their goods in a timely manner the LEAST you owe them is constant communication. Fix this ASAP by putting a 1 hour appointment on your calendar every Friday. End the week by crafting a message to your backers that gives them at least 1-2 points of accomplishment for the previous 7 days and an understanding of what you will be tackling over the next 7 days until the next update. This will be painful for you sometimes, as the truth isn't always the easiest to tell, but your customers deserve that.

- Become more transparent. Open up about things a company wouldn't normally open up about regarding their design/layout process and the progress they are making. Show some raw photos as you are working on them and get people excited again. You've worn down the hype due to delays and broken promises.

- Put in the raw hours. If you aren't personally putting in 50 hours a week on this project you aren't doing enough. It doesn't matter what other obligations you have. You are screwing up by not putting in the hours.

These all come from a place of trying to help you to become successful at these ventures, not tear you down. If you really want to be an entrepreneur pull your pants up and do the hard parts. It only takes 20% effort to get 80% done but that last 20% takes 80% of the effort.

In my day job I end up being brought in with escalated customers a lot, and after 15 years of it I still dread every single one of those calls/meetings. The hard parts never get easier to swallow but you have to do them to be successful.

#1285 5 years ago

Joe, today is the day you promised a substantial update for your backers. I hope you woke up ready to deliver.

If the update hasn't already been written, reviewed, edited, and waiting for you just to push the send button, you are already behind.

1 week later
    #1316 5 years ago

Except John Romero is awesome...

2 weeks later
    #1334 5 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

well I got Fireball Island via Kickstarter for Christmas so at least one company delivered - and man it looks sweet

Me too!! I get to unwrap mine tomorrow, can't wait to play it.

#1336 5 years ago

Sweet! Merry christmas buddy!

#1338 5 years ago

I can see Joe didn't take my advice. What a disappointment.

Sincerely hope you all get your books without another 2 year wait.

I'll be sure to stalk any new projects joe tries to kickstart and be vocal there.

2 weeks later
    #1375 5 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

...and you're just finding this out NOW??
    [quoted image]

It's perfectly reasonable to expect someone to have a vault of print quality photos of every machine from Stern's history.

HAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAH

3 months later
    #1558 4 years ago

Wow, these paper flock dudes are grade A assholes. Putting a choice like this off on customers is really a shitty move.

4 months later
    #1695 4 years ago

I've had a Stiker Xtreme in my garage, these people are worthless.

1 year later
    #2045 3 years ago

They are out of money.

Joe clearly has very little business acumen.

1 month later
    #2202 3 years ago

It's a super prick move to have you all "pot committed" and jack up the shipping rates to cover the losses from the shit way he ran his company.

2 weeks later
    #2413 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

It would be easy for them to make an affordable trade paperback version. I expect that would be the next iteration.

I asked them early on to make a digital version available for purchase on something like Kindle and they said no. They left money on the table back then, and if they did offer it now I wouldn't buy it out of principle.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Wolfmarsh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter?tu=Wolfmarsh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.