Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2 Link to Kickstarter project. Posted by ForceFlow (7 years ago)

Post #74 Feedback on Stern editorial control. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #109 Talk about editorial choices. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #120 Confirmation that Batman 66 will be in the book. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #123 Poster(s) shipping arrangements clarified. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #130 Project update announced. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #502 Backer update Posted by Matesamo (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TreyBo69.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1172 5 years ago
    Quoted from phillymadison:

[quoted image]
    The CD Archive 2
    Posted by PaperFlock Inc (Creator)
    First, I know we missed our September update and we apologize for that, but we have now secured the completed CD archive from Stern giving us 5 TB of new data!
    This doubles the amount of data we had a couple months ago!
    I know many people are asking, "What is taking so long?!?". And we know we are WAAAAY overdue on this project. But we also know that if we don't take the time to get it right we will all regret it in the long run.
    So, where are we at now?
    1. We have a great graphic designer on board till the completion of the project.
    2. We have the completed "story" / copy signed off by Stern.
    3. We now have 10 TB of images and data we are churning through to pick the absolute best stuff.
    4. We have Slash's intro completed and signed off on.
    5. We have done the retouching on most of the historic photos we intend to include.
    What do we have left to do?
    1. Filter through all of the new images we got from Stern!
    2. Photoshop / cut out / clean up the images we want to use.
    3. Build the layouts based on the layout formats we have established.
    4. Get the entire book approved by Stern and all involved.
    5. Go to print!
    I know waiting has been frustrating, but if we had made this book without this archive of data I think we would have done all of us a disservice.
    We are very excited about the material we have and the direction the book is going in, and we know that when you get your hands on it you will be pleasantly surprised
    Thank you all for your patience, Dameon and Joe, The Paperflock team
    a small sampling from the archive
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

It'd be easier to list what they have done instead of what they have to do. Like it sounds like all they have done is received some digital photos from Stern, touched up some photos, wrote some text (who the f knows how much), but have done zero layout...which is really the vast bulk of the work.

Hell, Stern could have probably cut out the middle man and sold a DVD of the photo archives. Toss a copy in every machine sold so people have something to do while they wait on code updates.

2 months later
    #1303 5 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

I just want the book at this point. Dear God help us if Stern nitpicks it during approval.

They might as well to make themselves look as good as possible. The book is already crazy behind schedule and most people who backed it are probably not going to be able to fully enjoy it because of the years of frustration. That's the thing about Kickstarter, they're only pissing off customers that already gave their money. They need to make it as nice as possible for the people who haven't bought one and may be interested in buying one.

1 week later
    #1319 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

and actually followed through on his projects

He's pretty much been a total failure since he was pushed out of id. He's the John Popadiuk of video games. Great creative mind, decent engineer, but a terrible project manager that needs a team to get things to the goalline. Daikatana is a lot like Magic Girl. A lot of hype, a lot of promises, delayed for years, and the final product mostly didn't work or make anyone happy.

1 month later
    #1392 5 years ago

It's almost as if they had no idea what they were doing and poorly planned how to do it...

How the hell does it take a thirty minutes to a hour to photoshop those images? You're taking new photos on an all white backdrop with ample lighting! Does no one on staff know how to use the dozens of tools in Photoshop that could automate the process of going through hundreds of images to remove the backdrop, even out the lighting, etc.. The labor intensive part is physically moving the machine to get photos of it, not the slight touch up work on the photos

Kudos for at least still working on it I guess?

#1394 5 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I say this half kidding ..... it would be nice for them to add the clear peel away parts pages as a token of "We're sorry....we had no clue how to make a book, we lied about everything, and are especially sorry for releasing the book 4.5 yrs late"
    It amazes me that Kickstarter projects of complex games or electronics can be engineered, designed, prototyped, tested, produced, shipped on a slow ass boat from China, and sent to people in 1/2 the time that these "authors" can partially make a few pages of a book with every bit of information and pictures readily available to them to use.

Kickstarter changed some rules so you have to have a "working prototype" before you start a campaign. They should probably have a rule that you must have a rough draft/layout if you want to kickstart a book

#1412 5 years ago

I think Stern just doesn't care.

Why should they? This is hardly that embarrassing for them anymore and it's not going to affect their pinball sales in the slightest. It sucks for a lot of people, but I'm sure Stern doesn't seem much value in fooling with it themselves. It's not like this is a book that would have ever been a bestseller. They're a company with revenue in the tens of millions, they don't care about a few grand in book royalties.

But what could they really do? Leave Joe a harshly worded voicemail? Throw money into this mess for a token amount of good will (and the book would still be disappointing for most people if it came out)? They presumably already got paid for participating in the project and they aren't going to fall into a sunk-cost fallacy. They might be able to terminate the contract, but then that will only officially kill the book and make Stern look like the bad guy when their only fault was not vetting Joe enough.

Maybe they could issue an apology and give out some cheap swag to backers? Of course if they did that, people would still complain that they want the book or a total cash refund.

I think Stern rather ignore the whole thing because there's so little gain for them. That said, I would totally buy the DVD of images and docs they gave to Joe for like $15.

1 month later
    #1464 5 years ago

Some kickstarters are more about showing outside investors that there is interest in the product. If you can prove that people want the product via a successful kickstarter, some venture capitalists are much more willing to open their wallet to make a more substantial investment.

Kickstarter is basically free money with few strings attached. Why not take people's money, get some cheap marketing, and prove to investors that you have a product people want?

2 months later
    #1548 4 years ago

It looks like a shitty instagram account of a photographer that doesn't know where to point the camera.

The original layout is clearly just the rough draft of whatever they've cobbled together. I guess good on them for realizing that they should, at minimum, show the whole playfield, cabinet art, and backglass. It's simply mind blowing that it took them multiple years to figure that one out.

Someone could hit CTRL+P on a bunch of IPDB pages and get better results. (We all know that every fact in the book is just going to crib IPDB)

#1554 4 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Couldn't agree more. This looks like something I could do wtf. This is "Laser War" sales flyer and it looks like it won't even be in the book. What I expected from this project, already delivered a year or 2 ago, was a book like the "Art of Atari" and instead we are getting the Sonic movie:
    [quoted image]

That's a great looking book. Stern should contact them to do the 40th anniversary book.

2 months later
    #1653 4 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Yeh but we can get pictures from google images

But can you regurgitate all of them haphazardly onto paper with snippets from IPDB

If so, boy do I have a business proposition for you. Plenty of paid vacation days!

#1656 4 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

It's just a picture book. Lame. Someone probably put pressure on them to get something out, so they slapped a bunch of pictures on paper and called it a day. Oh well.

Printing out this thread on glossy paper would be a more entertaining read than this book.

6 months later
    #1856 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

Any chance, if this book comes out, it is going to be underwhelming?

Idk, the expectation of most seems to be thrilled if anything shows up at all. I think most have already written it off as a waste of their money.

9 months later
    #2248 3 years ago

If Joe did figure out how to ship at a reasonable cost, he'd pocket the difference. He's already sent out the invoice. You think he's going to fool with refunds? I imagine he's as ready to be done with this as most of the people he ripped off.

And any book that doesn't get sold to a backer will be sold to the dozens of people who asked how to get a copy of the book on the various social media posts it occasionally pops up in.

I'm curious how much this will retail for when it eventually shows up on Amazon. I bet with shipping it's less than $90

2 weeks later
    #2409 3 years ago

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities, out of the 500 books about 56 were reserved for company people, Stern people, Slash, etc... and only 444 are actually for sale.

They will absolutely make another run of this book. (If they start now they might be able to get it ready for the 35th anniversary)

4 weeks later
    #2524 3 years ago

Will the 30th edition book be out by the 35th anniversary? Data East pinball formed in fall of 86. Will these be out by fall '21?

It's sad how you actually have to ponder if they could make that deadline...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TreyBo69.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter?tu=TreyBo69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.