Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 86 days ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2 Link to Kickstarter project. Posted by ForceFlow (7 years ago)

Post #74 Feedback on Stern editorial control. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #109 Talk about editorial choices. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #120 Confirmation that Batman 66 will be in the book. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #123 Poster(s) shipping arrangements clarified. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #130 Project update announced. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #502 Backer update Posted by Matesamo (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MrBally.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 7 years ago

Bally didn't use a Kickstarter campaign for their 65th or 75th Anniversary books.

20161015_215023 (resized).jpg20161015_215023 (resized).jpg

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

The industry wasn't a hundredth of the size it is now back then.

Although I completely disagree with you as Bally had revenue quite a bit higher than Stern/Sega/Data East in '97 and '07; if it was such a small industry, there would be less money available for unnecessary things such as an Anniversary book. Note that Bally bought and gave copies to all of their key customers.

#38 7 years ago

Just watched the video and read the KS page. You guys weren't kidding about Pro, Premium, LE and "Zombie Yeti" edition books. What a joke. I might buy the book if published. No Kickstarter funding for me. Let Peterson fund it. He has lots of money.

Is there really someone with a driver's license and Social Security card with the name "Zombie Yeti" or "Dirty Donny"?

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

I stand corrected based on the Expo announcement, but there is a puzzle to be solved.
    I will still wait for Amazon, here is why.
    It still makes absolutely no sense that Stern, a multi-million dollar pinball company, needs to partner with anyone using KickStarter to make a book.
    KickStarter is not a needed service for a real book publisher or author. Santiago Ciuffo did not need KickStarter for his book and this is recent, not 20 years ago.
    What this tells me is this is another market testing initiative to see if there is interest.
    Just a sampling of over a hundred pinball, jukebox, and arcade books I have collected over the decades from all over the world, in dozens of languages. No KickStarts required.

Jeffrey Lawton, an individual who loves Bingo pinball machines wrote and published Bally Bingo Pinball Machines. No kickstarter. His money and Schiffer Publishing. Same with the follow-up, Bingo Wars-United vs. Bally.

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Interested to hear yours.

Not interested in donating a dollar for a Kickstarter campaign for a pinball book. Would buy if fairly priced after release. If unfairly priced, I'll wait for Amazon to offer at a discount.

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from Air_Pinball:

Your not donating, you're pre-ordering.
    Amazing that no matter how many times you hit certain people over the head with the fact, the keep on spewing the charity/donation crap about Kickstarter.

If I contribute a dollar to the Kickstarter, it's a donation as I don't get a book nor a discount for the book.

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

What is fairly priced? Its $55 for a copy of the Pro book off the kickstarter.

Based on what other pinball books go for; $40-50.

#71 7 years ago
    Quoted from Air_Pinball:

If you think that's even remotely where the bulk of the money raised is.......I have some swamp land in Florida to sell you.

Never said it was nor do I think that way.

#86 7 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

I'll do it for $25K

Publish the book or arrange the Stern Party?

1 week later
    #165 7 years ago

It's a Badge of Honor....

2 months later
    #406 7 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

we sure were kept up to date before this funded fully...

Funny how that works....

5 months later
    #553 6 years ago

I'd say since Stern had this displayed at Expo and at their Anniversary Party, you might have a chance at some recourse if this turns into a bust...

Screenshot_20170704-092125 (resized).pngScreenshot_20170704-092125 (resized).png

2 weeks later
    #572 6 years ago

il_570xN.230615711 (resized).jpgil_570xN.230615711 (resized).jpg

#575 6 years ago

Call Stern and start bitching at them. Guilt by association. They endorsed it by having the pop up banner at eXpO and the pay to attend party.

1 week later
    #587 6 years ago

I'm surprised they didn't mention a circuit board problem. Maybe they will at the end of September.

1 month later
    #610 6 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Maybe Trudeau can start/finish the book from his prison cell.....

Only if he gets CONvicted and has to serve time.

2 weeks later
    #646 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

How good are these books? Worth ordering?

They are excellent for anyone interested in the history of the company and it's people. The books concentrate on the Company at 65 and 75 years though, which is an International Slot & gaming equipment manufacturer. Pinball is mentioned but is not the focal point.

#667 6 years ago

So, was yours an LE or CE?
    Transparent overlays, cover signed by whoever.....

1 week later
    #700 6 years ago
    Quoted from puck:

Thanks to whoever asked. We owe you a beer.

No problem, thought I'd ask for everyone.

#715 6 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Doing what exactly?

Building and shipping over 200 machines a week. Plus part & accessory sales. Also working on their next three game designs.

1 month later
    #749 6 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Is there anybody who can contact Zach Sharpe about this book?

You can.

1 week later
    #760 6 years ago

Gary held the mic when I asked the question. He immediately referred the question to the guys at the table in front.

#767 6 years ago

I'm certain all is well. The publisher is busy finishing the design of the gel layers that show the anatomy of a pinball machine.

#782 6 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Ok I got into contact with Joe Rubinstein last night. He told me that we are not conned, that there will be an update in the next few days, and that there was a couple of rewrites that were likely understandably out of their control. Paperflock is making good progress and getting the book done soon. Would have really liked to know about these delays or anything though rather than dead silence. Also Joe shipped out his completed cosplay Kickstarter to backers recently. So there is that.

So, is Peterson/Stern or this Joe Rubinstein lying? It seems that their answers CONflict.

2 weeks later
    #833 6 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Completely agree with these statements. Anybody who has waited for something media wise and especially video games knows this all too well. I'm still waiting for Half-Life 3, a video game that will likely never come out in my lifetime. In fact I'll give a quick story that is similar to how this KS has played out.
    Half-Life 2 was announced back in '03 and the company had a big event on Ellis Island in fact. An entire issue of then popular PC Gamer Magazine really showed off the game and the E3 Expo. They showed demo's and really advertised it and said it was coming out later that year. Later a kid from Germany hacked the company and stole the game and leaked it onto the internet. The kid was caught by the FBI but the damage was done. It showed that the game was nowhere near complete and the game barely ran. The game ended up being released a year later and just like the first became a landmark in the gaming industry.
    Moral of the story is you shouldn't lie to your fanbase or investors. Even worse is to leave them hanging and not even respond back making you think you have been conned. If you are going to delay it, delay it and that is completely understandable. Nobody wants to play a half baked game or coffee table book with lots of pretty pictures and not much else.

It's literally a leap of faith and trust you must give to a project as you are investors. Think of a Kickstarter pledge as buying stock in a new company on the stock market. You look at trends on the company you are buying stock in but say if it's Disney you just know you are going to make money on. What I really liked about the Pinball Magazine book Kickstarter was that it was basically done, the author is already known in the pinball industry, and no funds would have been taken unless it was successful. When it wasn't, no money was taken. I think the worst ones are the ones that take money even if the Kickstarter doesn't become successful as you are hoping they make the product but under limited funding. Your not even sure if it's possible to get whatever you backed or it's a product that is different than what you expected. GoFundMe we won't even go there.

Not at all like buying stock in a new COmpaNy. With stock you have some equity and have the possibility of selling the stock for more than you paid.
    Here, you are basically pre-buying books. With a chance of never getting them or getting them late. Very late.......

2 months later
    #886 6 years ago

You can't buy advertising like this.....

20180228_231709 (resized).jpg20180228_231709 (resized).jpg

20180228_231812 (resized).jpg20180228_231812 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
    #902 6 years ago

Are they still blaming Trudeau for the "delay"?

1 month later
    #952 5 years ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

No, we signed on a graphic designer as soon as the project funding was successful.
    This graphic designer has become largely unavailable.
    So as I said in the post "The other complication is we had to find a new graphic designer".
    No money was lost on the switch between designers.
    And we are now in a good place to finish the book in a very strong way.

That's what I tell my customers.....

1 week later
    #956 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Can someone summarize?

The whole situation is a joke. The book is a snoozefest. No one (Noone) wants it anymore.

#961 5 years ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

I'm not no one

I've also seen the movie Hollywood Knights.....

1 month later
    #982 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

on this week in pinball, it was announced that todd tuckey is releasing not 1, but 10 pinball books, each 200+ pages.
    https://www.pinballbuzz.com/product-category/regular-pinball-adventures/
    anyone want to bet how many of this 10 book series make it to market before the stern kickstarter does? the first volume is due out in sep, the 2nd in dec

At least two.

3 weeks later
    #1021 5 years ago

Maybe it's no book now....

#1037 5 years ago

Joe DP will come and post one of his usual excuses. Soon after almost everyone who's in will thank him for the update and tell him to keep up the good work...

#1043 5 years ago

Time for a lawsuit....

3 weeks later
    #1052 5 years ago

He's a -deleted-.

1 month later
    #1126 5 years ago

I wonder if Paperflock would pay Jon or would he have to pay them to work for them?

#1132 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

step away from the kool-aid punchbowl backyardace
    unless joe is planning on attending expo with thousands of dollars to refund backers, I think that he might be wise to avoid the show

Someone might take a picture of his backside...

#1137 5 years ago

Joe doesn't even know what an Expo is.....

#1140 5 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Makes JoeDP and his ilk look like rank amateurs.

Actually, they look like professionals. Professional thieves that is...

#1141 5 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

It's not there. Did he have it taken down or does it take awhile for the post to show?
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paperflock/keeping-the-ball-alive-30-years-of-stern-pinball/comments

Found! See below:

#1159 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

I hope joe is planning a vacation in Chicago in a few weeks.....

I don't think the carpetbagger will be at Expo or Stern.

2 weeks later
    #1203 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Gary held the mic when I asked the question. He immediately referred the question to the guys at the table in front.

I did not appreciate being lied to by Peterson last year at Expo. Stern should get involved and refund everyone's deposits/prepayments at this time.

#1206 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

I wonder who paid for that banner?
    [quoted image]

He knew enough to cover Trudeau's face when he posed for the pic.

#1218 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

did anyone stay for expo saturday evening, attend stern's seminar and ask about the status of the book? I'd be curious to know if they had anything to say (apologize, make excuses, shrug it off, etc...

You left out Peterson lie (again) like he did to me last year. Recorded for all to hear.

1 month later
    #1245 5 years ago

Joe looks like he really cares about getting it done.....

27332293_10215135451210471_4612393874784692725_n (resized).jpg27332293_10215135451210471_4612393874784692725_n (resized).jpg
    #1262 5 years ago

Red is Joe's color

Red is Joes color (resized).PNGRed is Joes color (resized).PNG
    #1277 5 years ago
    Joe and his respectable associate (resized).PNGJoe and his respectable associate (resized).PNG
    #1280 5 years ago

See post 2300 in the "Let's close this thread down" thread for the latest Joe update....

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-close-this-thread-down/page/46#post-4714974

#1283 5 years ago
    Quoted from Backyardace:

Link didn’t work. It said I didn’t have access.

You must have the basement blocked. Unblock it or post to moderator thread.

#1298 5 years ago
    Quoted from KLR2014:

We are hoping to finish the layout this year!

"Hope"....

Joe Hopes (resized).PNGJoe Hopes (resized).PNG
    #1306 5 years ago
    Joe to his customers (resized).jpgJoe to his customers (resized).jpg
    #1310 5 years ago

Joe's other successful Kickstarter product:

2 weeks later
    #1339 5 years ago

Joe having Christmas fun in Las Vegas.

I wonder if he stopped by the Pinball Hall of Fame or ran into Rotordave?

Joe at Palazzo Las Vegas (resized).PNGJoe at Palazzo Las Vegas (resized).PNG
    1 week later
    #1357 5 years ago

Go Speed Racer!

Spridal (resized).PNGSpridal (resized).PNG
    1 week later
    #1403 5 years ago
    Saphire Joe (resized).jpgSaphire Joe (resized).jpg
    #1414 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

he was told by zach sharpe, the person that gave him the tour

Well, that's PROOF POSITIVE for me!

#1415 5 years ago
    ER Joe (resized).PNGER Joe (resized).PNG
    4 weeks later
    #1437 5 years ago

Joe insists the book is almost done......

Joesplay (resized).PNGJoesplay (resized).PNG
    #1441 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

What are these pictures and where are you getting them?

Pictures of Joe working hard to get the book done. During his travels and some with his pals.

#1442 5 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

It's about done alright....

You see what I did there.......

#1461 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spelunk71:

If we have to resort to public shaming, Stern’s TPF seminar in about a month could be a good opportunity.

Someone at least take Gary Stern's picture.....

1 week later
    #1469 5 years ago

New intern whispering "30 Years of Stern Pinball" in Joey's ear.....

dgsuhfjigiojdgf6732895965 (resized).PNGdgsuhfjigiojdgf6732895965 (resized).PNG
    1 week later
    #1483 5 years ago

Well, that's proof positive for me......

1 month later
    #1495 5 years ago

Intern....

Iglajua2992315 (resized).PNGIglajua2992315 (resized).PNG
    3 months later
    #1671 4 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I like to think of it as a capstone level college course project that they've put off until the night before it was due.

Walsh or Phoenix?

#1678 4 years ago

I hope the Zombi Yeti print is almost done......

#1683 4 years ago

Paperflock will sell no pinball book, before its' time....

1 month later
    #1692 4 years ago

THIS time, they mean it. They pledged it.

#1698 4 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Ok I have more questions than answers now but they are saying it will be a physical THING in my hands....by the end of this year.
    1) There is "a dedicated fan volunteered their archive of thousands upon thousands of 35mm slides and negatives". Who the hell is this person that has this stuff? Also in previous updates it was stated that they were given access to Sterns cd archive. Did they use both archives? Or did they use only the cd archive and photograph games manually? They state "once we got going we learned the company had not documented their older games very well, and all those slides and negatives in the photo archive had been stored in a flooded basement and rendered unusable". Wonder what was on the slides and why some dedicated fan has confidential internal documents stored on slides. This is just like MAJOR to me.
    2) On finding these games to photograph "Simply locating the machines was the first and very daunting challenge. Only 50 or fewer models were produced of some of these games, made decades ago and scattered to the wind!" Why didn't they reach out to Pinside or the community in general??? Why have they been so damn secretive on this project? I would imagine most collectors would want to be like "that is my Viper in the official 30 Years of Stern Pinball book". So instead they go to the PHOF where they put random crap in their games instead of a troll in "Roller Coaster Tycoon" and the game is full of coil dust, etc?
    3) They state "An all-day, 10+ hour shoot might result in the proper documentation of 6-8 machines." Ok fair enough that makes sense! However this KS was funded nearly 3 years ago. I mean stuff happens but like holy crap! Que the vacation photos...
    4) In the past they wanted to document 100 games but it looks like it's now 90. I think they researched how many games Stern made and finally settled on that number. Either way this makes me wonder how big this book will be. Is it like 90 pages at least of games?
    5) Then he comes up with "As you probably know, most pinball books have maybe one or two photos of a machine, and most of those photos were not taken by book’s creator. And most books don’t begin to approach this many machines! Documenting this much pinball history is a first!" Like really dude? REALLLY? https://www.google.com/search?q=pinball+book&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS856US856&oq=pinball+book&aqs=chrome.0.0l3j69i60l3.1902j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    6) They do another slap in the face to backers by saying "In May you told us you would rather have the book be the best it can be, instead of just going to print the way it was." Oh you mean when you put a gun to backer heads for our valid complaints of how you mismanaged this whole KS then validating your "do it right or you get crap" poll? Ohh you thought a high quality project which was as I quote verbatim "We believed our job would largely entail scanning slides, cleaning up images in Photoshop, and uncovering long-lost company documents." So just scan, Photoshop, repeat. That isn't high quality because I can do that.
    7) They say NFL, NBA, Sharkey's Shootout, Striker Xtreme, Lost in Space, Baywatch as the remaining games. I have never seen an NFL, only 1 NBA at Pinburgh, seen a few Lost in Space, a few Baywatch, a few Striker Xtreme and 1 Sharkey's Shootout. They then FINALLY ask the KS for help. Like why didn't they do this at least 2 years ago or when the KS funding period was active? Like why now at the tail end of the project?

Regarding the question to the statements they made: one can never tell the same lie twice....

#1709 4 years ago

So in the March 2019 NBNL (No Book News Letter) Joe said the book was 90% done and that the Zombi Yeti prints, T-shirts, coffee cups, new Christmas ornaments, etc were going out to the makes of the stuff by March 31st.
    Did anyone get any of their stuff or was that more bullshit?

3 months later
    #1793 4 years ago

Giant candy canes for a giant in the pinball world...

Playful Joe in LV (resized).PNGPlayful Joe in LV (resized).PNG
    #1795 4 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

Maybe the book would get done faster if Joe only hired male interns...

He's an equal opportunity publisher....

A34743985ty (resized).jpgA34743985ty (resized).jpgjkh69347685 (resized).jpgjkh69347685 (resized).jpg
    #1796 4 years ago

Of course I prefer his Vickie's Secret work. Between the Stern Book duties of course....

Joe VS Canada (resized).PNGJoe VS Canada (resized).PNG
    1 week later
    #1802 4 years ago

Looks like he's gearing up for the Five years of Spooky Pinball book.

13718599_10209195889108236_5226112005640389116_n (resized).jpg13718599_10209195889108236_5226112005640389116_n (resized).jpg
    4 months later
    #1910 3 years ago

No need to worry everyone, Joe's collector pin {not pinball} business is doing well.

https://tinyurl.com/y8ck69er

4 months later
    #2060 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I think we can count on some "ebay style" shipping charges to generate some positive cash flow.

Shipping is nominal or included. "Handling fees" can be pricey...

#2061 3 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I wonder how many of them will end up on ebay?

Just bring yours to the VFW. If the crew doesn't buy them, well, we're low on toilet paper after the batch of mini-shows and can use the books. And don't try the bidet excuse, Mr. Happy hasn't bought new batteries for the control units since 2019.

1 month later
    #2121 3 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisBardon:

Has anyone tried to get a CC or paypal refund on the kickstarter charge?

Yes, unsuccessfully from all who have tried.

#2162 3 years ago

He only charges $3.00 for domestic shipping of those "Fcuk 2020" lapel pins he's selling.

https://fuckthisyear.bigcartel.com/

#2300 3 years ago

I've heard that the only pinball book which is "critically acclaimed" is PINBALL, by Santiago Ciuffo.

2 weeks later
    #2439 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I did a little bit of reading to see how they positioned themselves at the start of this. This quote cracked me up:

Their kickstarter also said a run of 1000 books, but now they're saying "500 and we're out of here".

I'd do a chargeback for the shipping fee you recently paid them. Then request a refund. Probably won't get it but it can't hurt to try.

1 month later
    #2607 3 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Google maps says he's mailing these from a field LOL

[quoted image][quoted image]

Seems legit.

#2610 3 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

That isn't where it was shipped. It could be an old photo (likely) that Google has and other stuff that I won't put on Pinside. Rent is not cheap in Los Angeles!

The pic of the empty lot is of the address on the label which is in Louisiana, not California. Metairie is a suburb of New Orleans....

2 months later
    #2825 3 years ago

Relax, Joe was busy today getting his Covid shot as posted on social media. Best, Emma, accompanied him per the photo.

2 weeks later
    #2903 3 years ago
    Quoted from The_Blues:

Wow! Didn‘t know that he made a camera! Interesting.

Look at posts 1310 & 1311 from 2+ years ago in this thread....

1 month later
    #2945 2 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

Or you could perhaps use them for a Prince Albert.

That would really hurt.....

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MrBally.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter?tu=MrBally and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.