Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2 Link to Kickstarter project. Posted by ForceFlow (7 years ago)

Post #74 Feedback on Stern editorial control. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #109 Talk about editorial choices. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #120 Confirmation that Batman 66 will be in the book. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #123 Poster(s) shipping arrangements clarified. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #130 Project update announced. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #502 Backer update Posted by Matesamo (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Matesamo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#94 7 years ago

I have supported my share of Kickstarters in the past and having different variations of the book is pretty standard. Usually a softcover, hardcover, hardcover with gold trim and a cloth bookmark. It is what it is and allows the supporter a certain level of control over how much they wish to spend on the book. I am a little more worried about the stretch goals that seem blah and uninspiring, not sure how that will play into how much they raise.

#124 7 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Maybe I should start doing Kickstarters for new issues of Pinball Magazine?

Sure, why not? If you want to remove the expense of upfront costs and potentially under/over ordering which could cause huge harm to a small publisher such as yourself it is a good way to go. I have backed magazines on Kickstarter and it has allowed them to "presell" the majority of the magazines and know it will not financially hurt them while waiting for orders to (hopefully) come in. Plus the free publicity is a bonus, I see lots of Kickstarter campaigns shared on social media and that is just a win-win. Add little bonuses for Kickstarter backers (post cards, stickers, etc) that you will not get if you order afterwards and you are golden.

#156 7 years ago

All fifty are gone. Hopefully someone will drop (or raise) their pledge level and I can sneak in their spot.

1 month later
    #248 7 years ago

Was not aware of the TOPCast but man, they have some amazing interviews I cannot wait to listen to! Thanks for the heads up!
    http://www.pinrepair.com/topcast/past.php

#263 7 years ago

Oh fine, in for $125 while there was a couple left. Why not.

#269 7 years ago

That's usually what happens, you can choose from a number of add-on's after it closes.

#350 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

precisely. They got 500 people to pay up front for their Stern fluff book, then they get to sell the other 500 to make all the profits. That is how these scam kickstarters work. ZERO risk for the guys up front and likely 50-80k in profits on the back end, all the while you have zero idea how many LE, Prem, pros they actually make.

Scam? You make it sound like its a flim-flam operation. As a backer (of this and around a dozen others over the years) I am well aware of the risks as are the other backers. I do not care how many extra books the sell or how much they make, I pledged at a level that guaranteed my copy of the book for a price I felt comfortable with.

Quoted from Whysnow:

How long have you been around pinball Joe? From what it appears on the surface, you signed up to Pinside less than a year ago and about the same time you started doing research on this for profit book venture. Guessing that is also the same time you needed another Hobby group that you felt were suckers enough to buy in to your no risk kickstarter BS?
    By the way, the most important question for ANYONE that opted to back this is, "What is estimated delivery?" Based on your previous panhandling on kickstarter and other crowd funding sites/history on other projects, that seems to be the ONLY thing that matters at this stage. When are people going to see the books?

As a backer I can say the ONLY thing that matters to me is that the book turns out to be a great collectors item which I can add to my Pinball library. I hope they take their time and do it right, when it is ready it will be ready.

#381 7 years ago

I will leave Whysnow with one last comment and then I am on to positive posts about this project. Back during the SkitB and Predator debacle you were always hopeful that SkitB would deliver and defended him for a long time despite the warning signs. One post you made always stuck in my head and I will quote it for you. Please replace the word "game" with "book" and remember that your quote is about a project that people invested hundreds or thousands of dollars into and they could not get answers or even a response from the project creator most of the time.

-Matt

Quoted from Whysnow:

I paid in back in June and either I get the game or I loose my deposit. That was my choice and I will be the only person happy or hurt with my choice.

The sad part to me is that some people that are not in for the game have made an active choice to do everything they can try and make the game fail.

-snip-

We (those that paid in) made our own decision and anyone that is trying to actively screw with that is not just having a negative impact on SkitB, but also the community of 250 as a whole. Just lay off the BS and let things unfold as they will or won't. You are not doing any of your fellow community members a favor with the continual BS.

3 weeks later
    #407 7 years ago

All backers were messaged a link to a private forum to discuss the book as it progresses, that is where the discussion has moved.

#413 7 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

Except the forum never seems to work--and there is very little activity on it when it does work. New forum or no, there would not be a book without Pinside, a little news here on occasion is not asking too much.

We were told backers would have input as to what was going to be contained in the book. That would be nice. There is a lot more flow of information here than what has been generated so far on the PF forum.

I have not been on the forum since the day they sent the link out, I prefer to "forget" about Kickstarters until they are ready to ship.

4 months later
    #502 6 years ago

Update from the backer email list:

Hello Kickstarter Backers!

I know we are long overdue for an update and we really appreciate your patience.

The good news is this book is going to be even better than we planned! As you all might have guessed we were waiting on the announcement before we did this update. We are trying to include as many of the newer machines as we can, but are still trying to lock down which of the new titles we can use.

So when will we finish this thing? The addition of new machines is such an amazing opportunity, and we want to take advantage of it to the fullest. This means following some of the new titles’ production through to completion sometime in September, which will put our finishing and printing sometime in October! We will of course be working diligently on the writing, photography, layout, and all details of the book up until that time. We believe that including these machines will be a great addition to the book and a great way to look at the process.

We would also like to reach out to any of you that have historical photos of Stern facilities, people, or machines in the wild you would like to contribute to the project. We have a couple amazing people that are sharing their historical photos with us, but want to open up this opportunity to our backers too!

There was also a draft of the intro to the book that I didn't copy.

#504 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I guess the decision is made but the book should have capped at 30 years and batman. There will always be a new game coming and the book will be out of date shortly after publishing so this delay seems unnecessary.

I sort of agree with you there but I think the temptation to have Star Wars featured was just too great, the brand will have a lot of attention this fall with the new movie coming out and they probably hope to tie in with that. Hopefully the retail edition of the book hits stores in time for the holiday gift giving season.

#508 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

agreed. Sounds like an excuse and lack of accountibility for the missed deadline. Weren't these commited to being in peoples hands by now? done and delivered?

The estimated delivery date was May 2017, so a projected five month delay.

#509 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

I think that the opportunity of "following some of the new titles’ production through to completion" is less about what titles they are following but about documenting the process from conception to finished progress. That is my take on what they meant.

Re-reading it I can see what you mean. If they have been documenting the development of Star Wars (and maybe Aerosmith) from the beginning it could be a very interesting chapter in the book with an unique and potentially unprecedented look at the development of a new machine. Fingers crossed.

#522 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

that was the first thing I thought of!
    Shame that you were not the one doing this and the pinball community bought in to a fly by night company with no ties to the pinball world rather than someone previously vested in the community.

Well I guess the question is why they did not choose Unigrooves proposal over this one.

#535 6 years ago

Supporting a Kickstarter (I supported this one at the $125 level) is not like pre-ordering from Amazon. It is a commitment to creative people that provides the funds for a goal that they could not otherwise work towards. The problem with creative people and Kickstarter is that they forget that some people tend to look at it like pre-ordering and not supporting a creative project and they do not communicate as much as they should.

Believe me this happens often with Kickstarter projects. Shenmue 3 just got delay from this year to Fall 2018; I backed a roll playing book that was supposed to ship last fall that just sent out an email after five months of silence that they were finally done with the book.

Is it right? It does not bother me personally but when an estimated ship date is May and on June 1st there are people commenting about refunds, potential theft of funds and other such nonsense I can see that perhaps it is not for everyone.

#543 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

agree 100%.
    My entire point is that currently the symptoms of this book deal nearly mimic that of Predator.

Agree 100%
    At least it does nearly mimic the threads; you have no skin in either but sure love sharing your opinions in them, lol. I'm kidding, at least you aren't accusing Paperflock of a crime.

Quoted from Whysnow:

ok, so running off with $125 is cool but $250 is not.
    Glad we have a measuring stick for this

Oh shoot...

5 months later
    #781 6 years ago

I understand how Kickstarter works (I have one project I pledged for almost three years ago still chugging along) and am not fretting about the book but their radio silence is just killing any support for future projects from a lot of people here.

You get tunnel vision doing these things but the lack of occasional updates is really hurting their image.

#783 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

So, is Peterson/Stern or this Joe Rubinstein lying? It seems that their answers CONflict.

I don't see it that way. Stern says the hold up is on their end, that they have a proof copy on their desk. Joe is saying there were some rewrites at Sterns request and progress continues. At least that is how I am reading it.

#785 6 years ago

December update, posted here in the interest of public record.

Hello Kickstarter Backers!

I know some of you have been eagerly awaiting another update. Here we go.

We have gotten some notes from Stern on the text and, as you can imagine, they requested we remove some content due to recent events. Zach the writer has obliged us and got us two new versions of the text a few days ago. We have read through the new text and while we feel the story is good, we also feel it needs some work before it goes on to the editor.

We really wanted to get this done and out this month, and have been weighing our options to push the project to completion. We have decided to hang on a little longer to make the project right. We want this to be something we can all be proud of and happy with for years to come so we figure it's worth spending a couple more months, doing another revision, and getting it right. You paid for a great book; that's exactly what we are going to deliver.

I don't know exactly what the completion date will be, but moving forward I promise we will do at least one update a month informing everyone of our progress.

I know it's frustrating having to wait, but you can believe us when we tell you this project is going on longer and is much more complicated than we could have imagined when we started. However the finish line is in sight and the product is getting better with every revision.

Thank you all again for your support, your patience, and your enthusiasm.

We are doing our best to make this the best possible book,

Joe and Dameon, the Paperflock team

#790 6 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

WTF didn't they post that update here?
    Those ArseHats were all happy to come hock their "warez" here in the forum to drive up their kickstarter... then they "can't be bothered" to communicate in those same threads.
    Paperflock; you will NEVER get a dime from me because of this.

To be fair, it was an update sent to all backers of the project (people with skin in the game) via email and posted on the Kickstarter site in the backer section. Many project leaders post in various forums and facebook groups to promote a Kickstarter during the campaign and then only post updates to backers. They rarely go back to every place they solicited from to post updates, why would they if they are updating all the backers with one step?

I posted it here since the community has been active in the discussion about the campaign (and its communication issues) and I felt it was in the best interest of the community to know that an update was posted.

#798 6 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I had a big response typed out; but I'll leave it at this:
    I have a real problem with people who pop their head into a random site just to say "hey; give me money" and then disappear.

I will give you this; there is only one major message board for pinball unlike the dozens of sites a video game Kickstarter or Board Game Kickstarter would have to post do so it would not have been that hard to keep the majority of the online pinball community updated.

#806 6 years ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

Really, is that what you think?

Sure, IMO. Tilt Forums is great but smaller user base. Not aware of any other major message boards.

#820 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

dude, what is your definition of "mentioned"? Once, twice, 3, 5, 10, 20, 30, 40 or 50?:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter?tq&tu=JoeDP

To be fair, someone created a thread for the project he was Kickstarting and he posted many times in said thread. He wasn't thread hijacking or anything. He only posted a handful of times outside of that thread and it was usually a video interview with a pinball designer.

1 month later
    #837 6 years ago

Very nice, as a Super Limited backer I just want you guys to keep working on this until it is the absolute best book you can make. Super jealous of the advance reviewers but good things come to those who wait. Looking forward to getting this as soon as it’s done.

10 months later
    #1288 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

There's no way today's announcement isn't just some regurgitation of the past ones.

We are working hard.
    Progress has been made.
    We are excited.
    We hired someone to do something.
    Stern gave us information that we just have to include in the book.
    Almost done writing the text.
    Another cardboard ornament will be mailed.
    We will post updates every week from now on.

#1289 5 years ago

Still on schedule for Christmas 2019.
    Andrew Macbain hired to take over PR so updates come quicker.

11 months later
    #1756 4 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

So if kickstarter suspended paperflock, that would imply they acknowledge impropriety. Is it possible they could issue refunds? And what of sterns responsibility here. They”partnered”, in their own words, with paperflock on this. Dont they have an obligation to make this right?

As far as I can tell Kickstarter has not suspended Paperflock, that it their company website that has been suspended. I don't think I have ever been to their site, not sure why it would be suspended but most likely they did not pay their site renewal fee.

11 months later
    #2245 3 years ago

Flat Rate is usually a decent way to ship heavier items, postal rates have shot up a lot recently. I shipped a 2 pound package via priority mail to California and it was twenty something dollars, I almost fainted. Everytime I sell something on Ebay (I offer free shipping) I hold my breath hoping it isn't going to the West Coast, unless it fits into a priority mail flat rate box. Rates are crazy.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Matesamo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter?tu=Matesamo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.