Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2 Link to Kickstarter project. Posted by ForceFlow (7 years ago)

Post #74 Feedback on Stern editorial control. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #109 Talk about editorial choices. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #120 Confirmation that Batman 66 will be in the book. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #123 Poster(s) shipping arrangements clarified. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #130 Project update announced. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #502 Backer update Posted by Matesamo (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KLR2014.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#148 7 years ago

Let's hope they use a good quality paper...

6 months later
    #464 6 years ago

Change that it will ship in May is zero in my eyes. We would have received an invitation to check your shipping address etc. Think this will take much more time then they originally thought. Big update is probably extra option you can buy or specific people contributing to the book.

#467 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

This whole pass the hat thing, collect $50k, then say nothing until the expected PUBLISHING DATE has passed is really an indictment about crowdfunding. The money comes in too easy with no accountability. Where have we seen this before? Hmmmm.
    If a publisher had paid them $50k advance to write this book, there would be you know... deadlines. No publisher, no accountability, so f it, I guess? It'll get done when it gets done.
    As a backer... "you're welcome?"

My experience with kickstarter is really good. I have joined 3 times on another product (mini museum 1,2 and now 3) and all 3 are great. good communication, frequent updates and timely delivery. I think the stern book is just a poor example, at least on the communication part (for now at least).

But let's see what will happen coming days and give them the benefit of the doubt

7 months later
    #829 6 years ago

New update:

99759B3E-E0D2-434A-89B3-E0FC21AC83BB (resized).png99759B3E-E0D2-434A-89B3-E0FC21AC83BB (resized).png

6 months later
    #1005 5 years ago

Update:

The CD Archive!!!
    Posted by PaperFlock Inc (Creator)
    Hello Backers!

We are making great progress in design and have just had the opportunity to dive into Stern's highly guarded CD archive!

This is a really big deal, they are making a huge gesture of trust and dedicating time from their staff to make sure this book looks amazing!

Below is a tiny taste of what we have found in there.

Thank you all for your support and patience, Joe and Dameon, the Paperflock team

74177090-3160-46AE-809E-E94533E90D99 (resized).png74177090-3160-46AE-809E-E94533E90D99 (resized).pngC12A773A-8532-44BB-8F35-4ABE7D7BA854 (resized).pngC12A773A-8532-44BB-8F35-4ABE7D7BA854 (resized).png
    1 month later
    #1083 5 years ago

Update.....

Hey Kickstarter Backers!

There has been a lot going on with Keeping the Ball Alive in the last month!

First we are hiring an intern to help us do some Photoshop work to help speed up the process.

We now have a layout with all chapters and games, and we are tweaking the flow of the graphic design. There is still a lot of work to do but we feel good about the progress that has been made.

We have images of every machine Stern has made, but we would still like a few more so we scheduled one last shoot at the end of this month to better document a few of the older games.

We should have all content done by end of the month, and along the way our graphic designer Zach is going to be working on layouts.

We have been in communication with Greg at Stern about their CD archives, and they have taken on an intern to help them digitize the older artwork just for this project! Greg is providing us a list of what they have available and to help identify how far back they have high resolution digital game assets.

In addition, George has been collecting more of his personal sketches, physical molds, toys, etc for us.

This process is taking longer than we expected, as it has been at every stage, but the content we are putting together is first rate!

In my opinion there has never been a pinball book like this before

Thank you all for your patience I know it is difficult, but good things are happening!

With gratitude, Joe and Dameon, the Paperflock Team

3 months later
    #1290 5 years ago

Just got an update:

Hello Kickstarter Backers,

I know it has been a while since the last update, I can promise you A LOT has been happening over here!

We have been running clipping masks, color correction, and retouching on hundreds and hundreds of files! And I have a layout to show you!

We are still adding captions and doing small layout tweaks, but as you can see every page of this book represents a considerable amount of work!

Many coffee table books have one picture on most pages, but we didn't feel that represented these amazing machines properly. As you can see each of our pages can be made up of many many elements, this one has 30 separate images in a 2 page layout! We are cramming as much information into these pages as we can while still respecting the amazing art.

So what's the schedule like?

We are hoping to finish the layout this year!

And get it off to Stern for Approval.

After that there will be a (hopefully short) revision process.

And once that is approved, we are off to the printers!

I know this has been a long road, much longer than we anticipated ourselves to be honest, but we are very near the finish, and I know we are making the best pinball book we have ever seen!

Thanks for your patience, Joe and Dameon, and the Paperflock Team

0126D241-5047-4822-8CB6-E4DAE9FB321D (resized).png0126D241-5047-4822-8CB6-E4DAE9FB321D (resized).png
    1 month later
    #1365 5 years ago

Another update:

EDE57B4E-F87A-4766-BFF2-97B595208DBD (resized).pngEDE57B4E-F87A-4766-BFF2-97B595208DBD (resized).pngFE87D387-2778-44F3-A6FD-61126668AD3E (resized).pngFE87D387-2778-44F3-A6FD-61126668AD3E (resized).png
    3 months later
    #1543 4 years ago

Just got an update:

We want to hear from you! And we have a big update too.
    PaperFlock Inc
    May 6, 2019
    External link
    View on Kickstarter
    Hello Kickstarter Backers.

First I want to apologize for not posting an update in April.

But I also want to assure you we have been working hard on the book!

We presented a full book layout to the Stern staff last month, and the feedback was good.

But we don't want the book to be good, we want it to be GREAT!

We got all of the layouts from the designer last month, and have been working hard to make them even better! Adding fun facts, graphics, and retouching photos to make them pop off the printed page.

But we have been hearing a lot from backers who are frustrated with the time it is taking, and we completely understand the feeling.

So we need to hear from you to help us decide if we should take the time to try and make everything as good as we can, or if we should just send it to the printer as is.

First here is a graphic showing you the work we have been doing over the past weeks and months.

On the left is the original layouts we got from the designer and on the right are the layouts we feel are greatly improved.

Layout Comparisons

A closer view
    (Keep in mind these are going to be large printed pages, so this small graphic may be hard to read.)

We think it will take another month or two to get this book to where we are happy with it and ready to send to the printer. We base this estimate on the time it has taken us to rework what we have done so far and what we believe it will take to complete the remaining layouts.

Now you may remember that in the last post I said we were 90% of the way done, and you may ask, "If you're 90% of the way done, why will it take another 2 months?" Well if you think about where we started from, which was just an idea for a book to celebrate these games and this period, we have come really far.

We went to Stern 3 times to interview the staff, collect the stories, document as much history as we could find. Zack our writer intertwined those stories into a single flowing narrative that gives a broad view of the entire history of Stern from the start! We edited that work into a reasonable readable story that we think flows very well. We have now done 6 large scale shoots photographing dozens and dozens of machines, with a focus on detail. We have done a lot of research to collect facts about every machine. We have done layouts for every page, and retouching for every photo, including cutting out machine views for every page, some have 3! And maybe most importantly we have created a presentation format we feel maximizes every centimeter of the printed page, while still remaining clear and legible.

We believe this is becoming a beautiful work that really shows the machines, the art, the game design, and the story of these objects we all love so much.

So now it's up to you. We want to hear from every single backer!

Should we keep going and complete this in the manner we know we can and make it as beautiful as we know how?

Or should we just call it done and get the thing off the the printer?

Here is the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/73ZHDRP

It is only 1 question and will take only a few seconds to answer, but your response will show us the direction we need to go.

As always thank you all so much for your support and your patience, Dameon, Joe, and the Paperflock Team

88BC9FE1-C96B-4919-A746-D545DE495BA5 (resized).png88BC9FE1-C96B-4919-A746-D545DE495BA5 (resized).pngE95E9F46-2176-4A39-814F-1F6E28271CB6 (resized).pngE95E9F46-2176-4A39-814F-1F6E28271CB6 (resized).png
    1 week later
    #1588 4 years ago

another update:

Hello Kickstarter Backers!

First, I want to tell you we are rocking our way through these
    layout revisions and have done about a dozen since our last
    update
    a week ago!

We are on track to get this done very soon!

We asked our 444 backers to let us know if you wanted us to push
    through and finish the book the best way we know how, or send
    it to
    the printer immediately even if it's not up to our personal
    standards.

We received 206 responses to our survey that were overwhelmingly
    supportive of sticking to our mission, even if it takes more
    time.

90% of backers said "Keep working"!

If you would like to see the results yourself on the survey
    website you can do so here:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/stories/SM-5VHBP8HL/

We really appreciate the support and understanding.

In a comment on the last post someone suggested we have never
    apologized for taking so long. We thought we had, but just in
    case
    anyone out there feels like either we don't know this project
    is
    well overdue or does not feel we have properly addressed
    this, let
    me do that now.

As Kickstarter backers, you have trusted us with your money. We
    are deeply sorry the project has taken this long to produce.
    We
    jumped into this project with both feet after only a few
    conversations with people about the access we would have and
    the
    existence of material we believed we could use. It turned out
    that
    the photographic documentation that was promised before we
    launched
    the Kickstarter actually did not exist! So we were forced to
    do the
    work ourselves, traveling around the U.S. to shoot almost ALL
    of
    these machines—many of which are extremely rare! If you see
    our
    previous updates, you can understand what a big undertaking
    this
    was. Even shooting 6 or 7 machines can be a huge, several-day
    job
    with travel and hotels. But we want you to know we are doing
    our
    very best to uphold our promise to you, and produce the best
    book
    we possibly can. Hopefully at the end when you have this
    beautiful
    book in your hand you will feel it is worth it and will be
    able to
    forgive us.

And here are a few more pages so you know we are working
    hard!

Thank you all for taking the time to answer our survey, thank
    you for your patience, thank you for your support, just thank
    you
    all in general.

We are working hard to get the best product we can in your hand
    as fast as we can!

Best,

Joe, Dameon, and the Paperflock Team

4314337112e6281868e685e7622c8d74_original (resized).png4314337112e6281868e685e7622c8d74_original (resized).png6107c4b6e69e727b3e9d966039ea793c_original (resized).png6107c4b6e69e727b3e9d966039ea793c_original (resized).png98c6d895b5574ecd7a2c342566a9a8f2_original (resized).png98c6d895b5574ecd7a2c342566a9a8f2_original (resized).pngc16b6ae3e7e8ec612b1dd9cee836fa51_original (resized).pngc16b6ae3e7e8ec612b1dd9cee836fa51_original (resized).png
    1 month later
    #1622 4 years ago

another update...

Hello Backers!

Just a quick update to let you know that we are more than halfway through the redesign!

We started with Laser War, Stern's first machine, and have worked our way all the way through SEGA and are now working on the modern era of games! Some of these games have SO much content to go through and we want to squeeze every little bit of goodness out of this content we can!

Here are a few machines that have been completed in the last month:

Harley Davidson

Starship Trropers & Viper

South Park
    If you don't know the story of how South Park got made, it's in the book and a good story too!

We're truckin' on, and moving through these as fast as we can!

Will update again soon!

Thank you all for your support! Dameon, Joe, and the Paperflock team

5 months later
    #1769 4 years ago

I heard, from someone at Stern, that the book is still in the works. So I think we will eventually get it.....

5 months later
    #1912 3 years ago

Received below update:

Hello Kickstarter Backers!

We're very sorry for our lack of updates over the past couple of months. As you can imagine we are trying to figure out our situation the way the rest of the world is, but we have made some good progress!

Last month we completed the book, down to the smallest Photoshop detail! We have had a few test readers and the response has been very positive. We also submitted all 250 pages of the book to Stern for final approval. We are also very excited to let you know that we have also completed the art and design of all of the Kickstarter incentives including t-shirts, jackets, and posters. We are very pleased with the work Zombie Yeti and our other artists have submitted!

Understandably Stern has been shut down during the pandemic, but they are looking at how to open their doors again safely and get production running. We expect to receive final approval from Stern on the completed book this month. Our printer has informed us they are open and ready to begin production of the book, and due to cancellations of other projects, the turnaround time for our book will be much faster! All incentives are ready for production.

Next steps: Once the book is approved by Stern, we will send out our backer surveys where you tell us your current address, t-shirt size, and any other relevant information. Then we start production, including printing the book, and all of the Kickstarter incentives! Once production is complete we will initiate the Backerkit program to help us ship everything to you!

We don't have exact dates yet, but are in a position to move very quickly after we get approval.

We know this has been a long road, but the light at the end is now very bright and near!

Thank you all for your patience, Joe and Dameon, and the Paperflock team

3 months later
    #1968 3 years ago

Who knows... we will have it before christmas

7503C5F7-A05C-4B28-8AE5-C23CB0296CF3 (resized).png7503C5F7-A05C-4B28-8AE5-C23CB0296CF3 (resized).png
    #1977 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

[quoted image]

And we get the JJP guns and roses release from Stern instead of JJP it seems

2 months later
    #2129 3 years ago

I pledged 100 dollar for the premium book.....
    Shipping 85 dollar ffs

#2212 3 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I'm not one to publicly complain very quickly. But I agree with all of you that this is quite ridiculous.
    The original shipping estimate on their site was $17. And now Paperflock expect me to pay $125 for shipping for a book, a shirt and a poster.

Thats my pledge also, book,tshirt and poster, also Netherlands and I got charged $85,85

2 months later
    #2742 3 years ago

Still waiting for shipping...no word since I payed for shipping...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KLR2014.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter?tu=KLR2014 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.