Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2 Link to Kickstarter project. Posted by ForceFlow (7 years ago)

Post #74 Feedback on Stern editorial control. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #109 Talk about editorial choices. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #120 Confirmation that Batman 66 will be in the book. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #123 Poster(s) shipping arrangements clarified. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #130 Project update announced. Posted by JoeDP (7 years ago)

Post #502 Backer update Posted by Matesamo (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Backyardace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#97 7 years ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

The best way to ensure that we hit the funding mark is support our project

I'm in for $125. Looking forward to reading it.

#135 7 years ago

As one of the first 30 to purchase the LE, I find it less appealing to hear that more are being released. I do; however, appreciate that those that missed out now have an option to get it.
    I think the fair thing to do is to offer the first 30 who supported the LE something in return. Like shipping the poster rolled at no extra cost.

7 months later
    #524 6 years ago

I think that the backers of this project should have been asked if they were okay with a 5 month delay to allow for the inclusion of new games. We funded this project and it would have been nice to have had a bit more communication of the status and upcoming plans.

#529 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

Thete is a risk the project will not be fulfilled and you will lose 100% of your money. We knew that going in. They have zero obligation to renegotiate. If anyone gave money to this project that they couldn't afford then shame on them.
    For almost everyone this is less than $125. I'm blown away by the outrage and sense of entitlement in this thread. There are people in this thread that are hoping it will fail. Just amazing.

I'm in for $125 and I believe I have the right to post my opinion just like everyone else. I'm not outraged and I don't think it is entitlement to ask for better communication. I pledged my support for this book and they still have that support. If the extra 5 months makes it a better book, that will good for all of us who funded it.

3 months later
    #631 6 years ago

It will be interesting to see if he attends Expo. I hope we get an update before that.

#661 6 years ago

Someone should ask Zombie Yeti if he has heard from Joe.

11 months later
    #1120 5 years ago

Who knew that a book about pinball would take longer than most pinball machines to make? I’m guessing the book is not going to be the 30th anniversary book, since that is so 2 year’s ago?

Is anyone from Paperflock attending the Chicago Pinball Expo?

#1129 5 years ago

Well Todd Tuckey has written 1 of 10 pinball books. It will be interesting to see how many he publishes before this one is out.

#1130 5 years ago

So it has been nearly two years since I backed this project and I have continued to hold out hope. However, I think one comment in the last update really stands out.

“In my opinion there has never been a pinball book like this before”

In my opinion their still hasn’t. Please Joe, make PaperFlock great again!

#1133 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

step away from the kool-aid punchbowl backyardace
    unless joe is planning on attending expo with thousands of dollars to refund backers, I think that he might be wise to avoid the show

Lol. I should have backed the 12” Centipede arcade machines. They cost less and people actually received them this month.

2 weeks later
    #1177 5 years ago

I think Stern 3? Year’s is the working title.

1 week later
    #1193 5 years ago

I’ve published 32 magazines since I supported this book two years ago. I think many of us could have completed this book by now!

Todd I just bought the Front Line that you did a video on!

#1197 5 years ago
    Quoted from toddtuckey:

The cabaret or the full size? I have a sad story about one Front Line...we delivered it to an office in the World Trade Center in the mid 90's..after the first bombing...he bought 5 games for his office. He sold his business in August 2001 and our guys went to the WTC in late AUGUST to get three of the machines he wanted to keep...we left two games there for the new owners...I cannot remember if Front Line was left there or not...but two of those games were destroyed of course! SO we were in that building about three weeks prior to the final bombing!

The full-size you sold about 3 years ago.

4 weeks later
    #1227 5 years ago

This was definitely a fail!

2 weeks later
    #1230 5 years ago

I thought Joe was back just in time for Christmas. Maybe next year we will get another update.

#1232 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Joes busy on vacation with Andrew from pinball adventures.....

I was hoping to see Todd at the Chicago Pinball Expo, but never caught him at his table. Did meet the artist behind Q-Bert who had a table next to Todd.

#1233 5 years ago

I funded a Night of the Living Dead autographed graphic novel and it is currently a month behind schedule. It is on the press and should arrive before Christmas.
    Not having much luck getting things on time on Kickstarter.

#1247 5 years ago

It could be work related. Maybe that’s the new graphic designer?

#1260 5 years ago

I believe that Stern has some responsibility in this. I can say that without their involvement and promotion of the book 2 years ago at the Chicago Pinball Expo, I would not have backed this on Kickstarter. I think best case scenario is that they should fund completing the book and satisfy the commitment since the book is about their company.
    At the very least, they should issue an apology and state they were taken for a ride just like those that backed this project.

I kept the faith for 2 years. I no longer have any for this book to be released by Joe.

#1281 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

See post 2300 in the "Let's close this thread down" thread for the latest Joe update....
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-close-this-thread-down/page/46#post-4714974

Link didn’t work. It said I didn’t have access.

#1284 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

You must have the basement blocked. Unblock it or post to moderator thread.

That fixed it. Thanks!

1 week later
    #1322 5 years ago

Everytime I think about this book these lyrics come to mind:

No, you're never gonna get it
    Never ever gonna get it (no, not this time)
    No, you're never gonna get it
    Never ever gonna get it
    I remember how it used to be
    You never was this nice, you can't fool me
    Now you talkin' like you made a change
    The more you talk, the more things sound the same

#1327 5 years ago

To be fair, he didn’t say when the book would come out. Probably around the time Stern releases a Jimi Hendrix pinball machine.

2 weeks later
    #1342 5 years ago

I look forward to hearing what, if any, response you get. I believe someone else posted something on their Facebook page about the book and the post was promptly deleted.

It looks like I will be getting my autographed Night of the Living Dead book; it’s only 2 months late and had far better communication than this mess. If not for Sterns involvement I would have never backed it.

Quoted from j_m_:

looking at the kickstarter page, there were only 7 updates in 2017 and actually 10 this year
    however, the content of those updates has definitely been lacking (especially since joe posted that the book copy had been approved back in march)
    to get some semblance of closure as 2018 comes to a close, I submitted this email to Stern Pinball this morning:
    "So, what's the deal with the KICKSTARTER book? Stern took an active stance 2 years ago promoting this [official] coffee table book celebrating 30 years of Stern's pinball history with flyers and huge banners at the 2016 pinball expo in Chicago and their own party (that I purchased a ticket to attend).
    Now, over 18 months past expected delivery date, we backers still have no tentative release time line or even a sense of urgency on the part of Stern/Paperflock to complete this project and reward its backers.
    With May 2019 approaching, the book will celebrate it's 2 year anniversary at being overdue and not only has Paperflock been lax in keeping their backers updated, but Stern Pinball itself appears to have distanced themselves from the project since there's no mention of it anywhere on the official sternpinball.com website.
    As the company that partnered and promoted this project, I can't help but feel like I've been lied to and cheated out of my hard earned money and I think that some of the blame should fall on you (as a named partner) for not following through to ensure the completion of the project."
    I guess the only thing that could be worse is if the book finally does make it to press and they use all of the history info found on stern's own website
    https://sternpinball.com/about/

1 week later
    #1358 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Go Speed Racer!
    [quoted image]

How did you manage to get the book cover?

Autographed posters will also be available.

1 week later
    #1396 5 years ago

As mentioned above, I don’t see how they can be over two year’s into a book and determine they don’t have enough photos. Did Joe hire a high school yearbook staff?

#1416 5 years ago

What kind of book is he making now?

1 month later
    #1472 5 years ago

I don’t think any of us expect regular updates going off his track record. Hopefully he had a nice time with my $125.

1 month later
    #1503 4 years ago

I think if Stern planned to make this right it would have happened by now. I hold them partially responsible because they added more legitimacy to the project and I know several us would not have backed this project if not for the marketing push Stern made at the Chicago Pinball Expo.
    It seems like they just want to sweep it under the rug and pretend like it never happened. I think it is an embarrassment to them.

#1529 4 years ago

At least some of you received a very expensive Christmas ornament! I didn’t even get that for my $125

If Joe was smart, he would post pictures on Facebook of him working on the book; however, where would he get those pictures?

I think we have to accept both Joe and Stern aren’t losing any sleep over this and we are unlikely to ever see the book or the money we invested.

#1530 4 years ago

For those scoring at home, we hit the 2.5 year mark in April.

Joe’s last appearance on Pinside was May 21, 2018. Nearing the one year anniversary.

#1559 4 years ago

He didn’t mention how many more years it would take if we select the “improved layout.”

#1575 4 years ago

So when the book is done, then they will be in a better place to offer refunds?

Ask for interest on your money.

5 months later
    #1724 4 years ago

I’ve published 48 magazines in the 3 year’s since I gave my money. That’s over 5,000 pages. It is really not that hard. Went to Expo and got caugh up in the hype. Both Stern and Paperflock let us down. I funded two books on Kickstarter and at least I received the other one.

1 month later
    #1767 4 years ago

Maybe a bunch of us need to reach out to Stern and give them the chance to make it right. If not, we will share our story with the local news in Chicago? I’m sure they don’t want bad press.

1 month later
    #1810 4 years ago

Thanks for the info about Tom’s book. I was in a movie with him shot in Florida. Saw him again at the Monroeville Mall (Dawn of the Dead). He was telling his niece and nephew, who were in the scene at the airport, that people were going to ask the same stupid questions all day.

I paid for an autographed Stern book. Starting to wonder if any of the people will still be there if this thing ever comes out.

1 month later
    #1866 4 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Based on that update, I'm pretty sure I can find them a better printer deal, which will be a lot quicker as well. 6-8 weeks to print a few hundred books? That has to be a joke.

No sense rushing things at the end. What’s 6-8 weeks compared to how long we have already waited?

2 months later
    #1908 3 years ago

We will be lucky to have the book for the 35 anniversary. I paid for a signed edition and I am beginning to wonder if my favorite Stern designers will be retired by the time this is done. Maybe Paper Flock should get signed book plates now.

2 months later
    #1933 3 years ago

It’s simple! We will be receiving a 30th anniversary book on Stern’s 35th anniversary! It will be like a time capsule. Plus, it will be a bargain since you paid for it 5 year’s earlier when your money went farther. It’s just a matter of perspective.

#1936 3 years ago

Look what I found today. It is hard to say this project didn’t have the support and backing of Stern.

423128F1-AC69-4BAD-9529-EC830738708D (resized).jpeg423128F1-AC69-4BAD-9529-EC830738708D (resized).jpegE0FBC8BC-E86A-4843-AF96-6860B83F7955 (resized).jpegE0FBC8BC-E86A-4843-AF96-6860B83F7955 (resized).jpeg
    #1948 3 years ago

Good to know that the delays are Gary’s fault for not reading it. I wonder what he would think of this update?

#1949 3 years ago

If you remove the wordsmithing, here is the update:

After nearly 4 years of excuses, it finally came to Sterns attention that we didn’t know anything about Stern or pinball requiring the entire book to be edited by Stern.

#1963 3 years ago

Why write a forward for a book that doesn’t exist?

2 months later
    #2074 3 years ago

They should include a “3” sticker for the cover so we can decide if we want it to say 30th or 33rd anniversary.

1 month later
    #2104 3 years ago

Shipping should be free because of the delay! Or at least what shipping would have cost when the book was supposed to have been completed.

#2155 3 years ago

Perhaps the extra shipping charges are to help fund Joe’s next pinball book that he thinks you all want from the survey results!

1 week later
    #2380 3 years ago

No shipping here yet either. They charged us $11 to “store” the book. What a joke.

4 weeks later
    #2520 3 years ago

If I had to guess, I would say Joe is shipping them to save money. Now we know why we were all charged to store the books.

#2528 3 years ago

Perfect timing. Right when mail is taking several extra days. Some people might actually receive it by the end of the year.

#2534 3 years ago

So who is going to be the first one of us to post a photo of this craptastic book? We should all find creative ways to post a photo of our new (really old) book!

2 weeks later
    #2637 3 years ago
    Quoted from VegasAlleycat:

Glad to hear these are finally getting shipped. I got an email today verifying my shipping address so I assume it will be on its way soon.

Same

#2660 3 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

I got that email too. What I don’t understand is I had to pay 2x for shipping cause it will come in 2 boxes. Why not ship our book (box 1) now and send box 2 when the jacket is ready?

Because they make more profit that way.

#2694 3 years ago

Nice review. My favorite observation is this: My question is this; If it was the “first ever used” what “standard DMD used at the time” is it half the height of?

#2711 3 years ago

Just received my LE book. I funded this on Kickstarter while at the Chicago Pinball Expo. It’s been a long wait 4 years and 3 months!

30+ Years of Stern Pinball. I find the “+” an interesting addition.

1 month later
    #2776 3 years ago

My book is still in its shipping box, unopened. I lost interest in it a long time ago.

1 week later
    #2803 3 years ago

It’s likely they don’t have any money left to refund and are trying to figure out if they can make enough on shipping to issue refunds. Just a thought.

2 weeks later
    #2831 3 years ago

Am I the only one that is beginning to wonder if those who requested a refund are going to end up with nothing? No book & no money.

#2853 3 years ago

I think anyone who received a hoodie should get $50 refunded. That is not cool. However, I don’t think anyone has received a refund so...

1 month later
    #2934 3 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

a pinsider who had better success with communication with Paperflock was able to transfer my book to them yesterday - I was promptly paid by this pinsider and I am now out of this show.
    They are after another book only if anyone is still waiting for a repayment that wants to get out. Send me a PM and I will connect you to them.

Glad to hear you got your money back. Sadly, we will never get the time we wasted on this back. This was like a bad movie that you regret watching all the way till the end.

1 week later
    #2940 2 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

I got some pins with my book, but they’re huge. I thought pins were meant to go on a shirt or jacket or something. What am I supposed to do with these?

We needs pics before we can answer the question.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Backyardace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter?tu=Backyardace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.