Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 64 days ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 60.
    #351 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

That is how these scam kickstarters work.

This is only a scam if the backers don't get their rewards.

Whatever profit is on the table is none of my concern if this book is released and I get my reward.

Yes Kickstarter has shifted the risk from the founders to the customers, but this horse has left the barn and this business model has existed for years now and won't be going away.

#352 7 years ago

It's actually not even a scam if the book somehow fails to get made. That is the entire risk of Kickstarter. Ventures don't always work out, and then the people who provided the venture capital are simply out that capital.

This is the reality of Kickstarter and nobody should ever put money into a project they aren't prepared to lose forever.

That said, I'm sure this book will be fine. I've backed games that have been in active production for 4 years or more with no release date in sight (Unsung Story, Star Citizen, Timber & Stone). I don't see this book coming close to that sort of timeline.

#353 7 years ago
    Quoted from GotAQuestion:

I don't see this book coming close to that sort of timeline.

do your research on the hawker and you will see a common trend regarding timelines...

#354 7 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Kickstarter has shifted the risk from the founders to the customers

Perfect for pinball collectors

#355 7 years ago

I backed the book .... 55 bucks for something cool about pinball. I just wish we could have made it to the layered pages, but oh well.

#356 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

do your research on the hawker and you will see a common trend regarding timelines...

Please do research me, I'm very proud of my history with crowdfunding.

I have spoken on panels for social media and crowdfunding for organizations like TechZulu, NFFTY, Slamdance Film Festival, Austin Film Fest, and others. Stories about my projects have been featured on WIRED, Engadget, Indiewire, MovieMaker, TechCrunch, the Creators Project, Mashable, and more. I have run a successful kickstarter campaign raising over $300,000 and advised on dozens of other campaigns, helping others raise over $1.29 million to date.

I have worked on specialized social media campaigns for the biggest companies in the world including Red Bull, Coke, Warner Bros, Microsoft, and Disney just to name a few. 

None of my crowdfunding campaigns have ever failed or have ever failed to deliver an excellent end product.

The Digital Bolex project created a low cost cinema camera many said was impossible to do. It took longer than expected, but when it was done it was so much more camera than we originally set out to make and so much more than the backers paid for.

Incidentally, all the video for this campaign was shot on this camera

You can attack me all you want, I'm used to it, but if you actually cared about the finish product you could just talk to me as I'm here listening to everyone.

#357 7 years ago

so when will the book be delivered?

#358 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

precisely. They got 500 people to pay up front for their Stern fluff book, then they get to sell the other 500 to make all the profits. That is how these scam kickstarters work. ZERO risk for the guys up front and likely 50-80k in profits on the back end, all the while you have zero idea how many LE, Prem, pros they actually make.

why are you saying that this project is "scam"?
    what is your problem with this project?
    I am no STERN fan boy, i actually would not buy another NIB from them because lack of finished code, quality issues and pricing, but i am still a pinball fan and i pledged exactly the amount i was willing to, regardless the "limititaion" of the pledge level.
    i feel comfortable in what i have paid for and what i will get.

if i get nothing, well, than we can talk again about scam.

#359 7 years ago
    Quoted from master_of_chaos:

kickstarter is a scam. It is a crowdfunding milennial BS where many people make 'jobs' out of starting continual crowd funding projects to make money. They take on zero risk, zero investment, and have zero obbligation or issue if they dont deliver. They also have zero commitment or contract around timeline. Kick starter claims something like 10% of 'funded' projects fail. That means 10% of the time people walk away with thousands of dollars and no product.

They neglect to tell you the % of projects that have drug on for years and years with no real way to ever reach the finish line.

Joe has made a partial living at minimum out of utilizing this BS platform to crowdfund his projects and self admittedly hiw projects have taken longer than expected in the past. Granted this one is not real complex since it is a fluff piece where the content is readily avialable and he obviously has the photog skills to make the pretty pictures. However, there is still inherent risk for all of the backers and Joe could walk right now with 55k and have no real issue. The risk is 100% on the pinheads that bought in and I am guessing he picked his mark with a little quick research to see the pinball community is easy to get $$$$$$$ from with just a little flash.

The other 'scam' aspect is this is all part of the smoke and mirrors of Stern. Joe is now trying to help them sell more of their ever decreasing quality product and they will now have a whole big PR stunt with pretty pictures highlighting the BS perception of quality. Sad part is yet again this scam PR stunt is paid for by the community. It is like the BS party paid for on the pocketbook of colelctors all over again but even worse and with a larger audience.

#360 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

The book will be delivered in May of next year as indicated on the pledge level of every reward on the kickstarter page.

Quoted from master_of_chaos:

I promise you will get a book, that I honestly hope we will all be proud of / happy with

#361 7 years ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

The book will be delivered in May of next year as indicated on the pledge level of every reward on the kickstarter page.

any repercussions if it is not 100% delivered by then?

#362 7 years ago

Be nice if we could get this back on track with some positive vibrations....

#363 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Since you did not donate I'm having a hard time understanding why this concerns you. If he meets his deadline you will only move on to troll something else. If he misses his deadline then you will make it out as the worst possible thing to happen since jpop. Either way, you have zero skin in the game.

Don't you have something better to do with your time? You are an adult, right?

FYI, for someone so opinionated you should take the time to actually RESEARCH what you have such a strong opinion about. The question you asked is answered right on their Kikstarter page.

#364 7 years ago

WhySnow, I think you are really taking this all a bit too far. This is about a pinball book for crying out loud. It's supposed to be a fun project. You just seem so... angry. Lashing out at anything that is connected to Stern seems a bit excessive.

I will admit, my initial thoughts also were that a book like this might not necessarily need Kickstarter (doesn't Stern have deep enough pockets to fund their own coffeetable book?), but I still decided to back this project because I think the story needs to be told. And even if there is a chance that the book will be a "marketing piece", as some predict, I'm still expecting it to be a cool book and worth the purchase. Let's face it, without any cooperation from Stern this book would be impossible to make. And without the dedicated effort from Joe and his team nobody on earth is ever going to create a book about Stern pinball in the first place. Will they make profit? I hope so. Then maybe Bally/Williams 90s heyday will be the next coffeetable book!

As for suggestions for this book. What I would love to read about is difficult challenges and how they got solved. We all know about many of the issues that came up over the years. I would like to read about the solutions and how they got there. Hope that makes sense.

I also love reading about "things that didn't make it into the game". Features that got left out of DE/Sega/Stern games. And why. That's always a good read.

It would be nice to read about the challenges of licensing (+ some examples if possible).

I would love to read how code comes to life. I mean, where does a programmer start? How does code come to be? Does much code get re-used from older games? Tell me all about the challenges code!

I hope this book will dare to ask some of the more difficult questions. We all know making pinball is hard. This book is a great opportunity to show us just how hard it is.

Just some ideas

#365 7 years ago

Super, Robin--there are many positive vibrations!

#366 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

WhySnow, I think you are really taking this all a bit too far. This is about a pinball book for crying out loud. It's supposed to be a fun project.

you see it one way. I am entitled to see it another. I have 20k worth of Stern games with defective playfields and ghosting inserts and they have the gaul to run a damn kickstarter to ask for more money to fund a PR book they shoudl be paying for themselves and paying Joe to make.

WAKE UP ROBIN is my response. I dont think you are taking it far enough or being even remotely critical of the fact that this book may help sell lots of other defective games to new pinheads. I would say that if you genuinely care about the community and hobby then you should help use a little of your weight in the hobby to help get some real answers about these issues rather than crowd funding a fluff piece.

#367 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

kickstarter is a scam. It is a crowdfunding milennial BS where many people make 'jobs' out of starting continual crowd funding projects to make money. They take on zero risk, zero investment, and have zero obbligation or issue if they dont deliver.

You have obviously never run a kickstarter campaign.
    #1. As pointed out in this same thread many pages ago, crowdfunding books is a practice that is hundreds of years old, the internet makes it so you can reach more people, but it is not a change of practice.
    #2. Creating and running a Kickstarter campaign is ALOT of hard work, behind every post you see there are hours and hours of shooting, editing, sound design, writing, photo editing, dozens and dozens of calls to potential partners. If all someone wanted was an easy way to make money, doing it though crowdfunding would not be a smart choice. You can ask anyone that knows me this has been a lot of work for the past almost year of my life.
    #3. Crowdfunding enables artists and creators to not be beholden to big companies or distributors, which to me is a very good thing, that enables products the artist and backer are more happy with.

Anyway, there is probably nothing I can say that will satisfy some people, and that's OK everyone is entitled to their opinion and have the right to express it.

If people have real concerns or are interested in participating in the creation of the book I am here, we are starting a forum on our site very soon, and anyone can message me here or email me at: [email protected]

#368 7 years ago

Putting aside the who's, whys and wherefores regarding the book for a minute. Who is the dipshit who has downvoted everybody who dare question the project ? The twat with the chocolate rabbit ?

#369 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

As for suggestions for this book. What I would love to read about is difficult challenges and how they got solved. We all know about many of the issues that came up over the years. I would like to read about the solutions and how they got there. Hope that makes sense.
    I also love reading about "things that didn't make it into the game". Features that got left out of DE/Sega/Stern games. And why. That's always a good read.
    It would be nice to read about the challenges of licensing (+ some examples if possible).
    I would love to read how code comes to life. I mean, where does a programmer start? How does code come to be? Does much code get re-used from older games? Tell me all about the challenges code!

I have taken note of all of your suggestions!

We have already started collecting photos and anecdotes about "things that didn't make it into the game", which is one of my favorite subjects too!

Quoted from robin:

I hope this book will dare to ask some of the more difficult questions. We all know making pinball is hard. This book is a great opportunity to show us just how hard it is.
    Just some ideas

I love this phrasing, and is exactly what I talked to Stern about before launching this campaign. I told them that this is the story of Stern and that for any story to be worthwhile there must be hardship, there must be challenges, and including those in the story is what helps people identify with the characters and care about the outcome. And I'm happy to say that Stern is onboard with this!

#370 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

you see it one way. I am entitled to see it another. I have 20k worth of Stern games with defective playfields and ghosting inserts and they have the gaul to run a damn kickstarter to ask for more money to fund a PR book they shoudl be paying for themselves and paying Joe to make.
    WAKE UP ROBIN is my response. I dont think you are taking it far enough or being even remotely critical of the fact that this book may help sell lots of other defective games to new pinheads. I would say that if you genuinely care about the community and hobby then you should help use a little of your weight in the hobby to help get some real answers about these issues rather than crowd funding a fluff piece.

$20k in machines that were all defective? How many was that? I can see getting screwed on the first one but why didn't you inspect the machine before taking receipt of it? I can see complaining after the first machine but why did you let this happen to you over and over? That's a lot of money!

I can see why you are so upset. I just don't understand why you are upset at Stern?

#371 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

without the dedicated effort from Joe and his team nobody on earth is ever going to create a book about Stern pinball in the first place.

No?

#372 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I think the recent history of Stern appears to be defined by cost cutting and lack of QC along with attempting to push costs to the consumer as much as possible.

Quoted from Whysnow:

More incomplete code followed up with releases that cause even more issues
    Unplayable new releases at Expo with a BM66 you had to send in an application to buy but are not allowed to touch
    Stern cons us into paying for their end of year party which was crap and a joke
    and
    now....
    they convince you to PAY for their personal PR book that is all a fluff piece...

Quoted from Whysnow:

Stern is doing it trying to rape the community that supported it.

Quoted from Whysnow:

I do lots to promote and have tried to help out with Stern

#373 7 years ago
    Quoted from stoptap:

Putting aside the who's, whys and wherefores regarding the book for a minute. Who is the dipshit who has downvoted everybody who dare question the project ? The twat with the chocolate rabbit ?

Ah that would be me with the goofy eyed Easter Bunny. *clicks downvote button*

This is Joes KS page: https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/joedp/created Laugh at his ears in his profile pic or get angry that he made this KS but look at the previous projects he has created. His FIRST project on KS wasn't a small coffee table book. No he went big and risky with the "Digital Bolex: The 1st Affordable Digital Cinema Camera". He asked $2.5k for a small camera for pro's to use but had no track record to prove anything on KS aside from his own professional career. Only 100 were to be made for $100k and not only did that get funded but the campaign hit milestones adding additional features to these camera's because people didn't bitch and complain. They doubled in fact the original goal earning $262,661 with 440 people or 4 less than the 30 years of Stern Pinball KS which struggled to earn $54k and had to have Slash come in to help. They also built and shipped these camera's and it took a year. That is over a quarter of a million dollars that "suckers" apparently spent for a pro grade camera and received.

Then he most recently had yet another successful KS campaign for another coffee table book for cosplayers. That was around $8k and wrapped up around this Fall. Joe even posted video's of himself shooting pictures so backers could see progress being made near the bottom of this page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joedp/costumed-play-a-fine-art-cosplay-book?ref=profile_created

Then Dameon, his partner in the KS, got a news piece back in '09 in the Cleveland, OH area: http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20091130/FORTY09/311309983/jacob-edwards-32-dameon-guess-34 It states he owns a publishing company with 130 employees and 61k in clients. They also have been in business since '98. He probably laughed his ass off after people were telling him how to make the books for cheaper and they were making TONS of profit from a coffee table book on KS.

Seriously screw all the haters. Maybe, just maybe, Stern does pitch in or Slash puts money in. Or they could use the extra money to not print the 500 or so extra in copies and use the extra money for fold-out pages or whatever. The main concern is the project hit the goal. I don't even know these guys either I just have experience with KS and I just wanted this book to be made.

#374 7 years ago

What would be awesome and make the book worth the max level contribution would be if Stern used it as the media to finally release their production numbers of their out of production machines.

#375 7 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Ah that would be me with the goofy eyed Easter Bunny. *clicks downvote button*
    This is Joes KS page: https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/joedp/created Laugh at his ears in his profile pic or get angry that he made this KS but look at the previous projects he has created. His FIRST project on KS wasn't a small coffee table book. No he went big and risky with the "Digital Bolex: The 1st Affordable Digital Cinema Camera". He asked $2.5k for a small camera for pro's to use but had no track record to prove anything on KS aside from his own professional career. Only 100 were to be made for $100k and not only did that get funded but the campaign hit milestones adding additional features to these camera's because people didn't bitch and complain. They doubled in fact the original goal earning $262,661 with 440 people or 4 less than the 30 years of Stern Pinball KS which struggled to earn $54k and had to have Slash come in to help. They also built and shipped these camera's and it took a year. That is over a quarter of a million dollars that "suckers" apparently spent for a pro grade camera and received.
    Then he most recently had yet another successful KS campaign for another coffee table book for cosplayers. That was around $8k and wrapped up around this Fall. Joe even posted video's of himself shooting pictures so backers could see progress being made near the bottom of this page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joedp/costumed-play-a-fine-art-cosplay-book?ref=profile_created
    Then Dameon, his partner in the KS, got a news piece back in '09 in the Cleveland, OH area: http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20091130/FORTY09/311309983/jacob-edwards-32-dameon-guess-34 It states he owns a publishing company with 130 employees and 61k in clients. They also have been in business since '98. He probably laughed his ass off after people were telling him how to make the books for cheaper and they were making TONS of profit from a coffee table book on KS.
    Seriously screw all the haters. Maybe, just maybe, Stern does pitch in or Slash puts money in. Or they could use the extra money to not print the 500 or so extra in copies and use the extra money for fold-out pages or whatever. The main concern is the project hit the goal. I don't even know these guys either I just have experience with KS and I just wanted this book to be made.

So you're way of showing support for something is to reject all concerns about the said project ? Good for you. There are many expressing concerns on this thread who have spent thousands and thousands on Stern's games over the years. Are they all 'haters' ? You should run the Stern Facebook page, you have the necessary 'pedigree'.
    And as for supporting a project that has you as a cheerleader ? I will definitely pass.

#376 7 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

What would be awesome and make the book worth the max level contribution would be if Stern used it as the media to finally release their production numbers of their out of production machines.

I would love that but let me just say...it is not going to happen.

#379 7 years ago

Production numbers would be awesome but I don't see it happening. Not only would it be embarrassing to know the production numbers on Rolling Stones or Shrek, it would give their competitors much needed information about what themes work or doesn't work. I personally would love to know this information however. Might reset the market price on a couple of games!

Not sure about the writing but, if the cosplay book is any indication, the photography alone will be worth the price of the book.

#380 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

you see it one way. I am entitled to see it another.

yes, you're entitled to your opinion, but you don't need to repeatedly come into this thread and bash what joe is attempting to do here. simply state your opinion once and then leave.

I don't go into threads that you've started and every day post another "you're an asshat!" comment. why?
    well...
    for one thing, it's childish
    for another, it serves no purpose other than to draw attention to yourself and let everyone see just how narcissistic you can be. the end result is that you're going to come off looking like the asshat that you've made yourself out to be.

we've met face to face multiple times and you're a good guy, however in this case you're just not doing yourself any favors

#381 7 years ago

I will leave Whysnow with one last comment and then I am on to positive posts about this project. Back during the SkitB and Predator debacle you were always hopeful that SkitB would deliver and defended him for a long time despite the warning signs. One post you made always stuck in my head and I will quote it for you. Please replace the word "game" with "book" and remember that your quote is about a project that people invested hundreds or thousands of dollars into and they could not get answers or even a response from the project creator most of the time.

-Matt

Quoted from Whysnow:

I paid in back in June and either I get the game or I loose my deposit. That was my choice and I will be the only person happy or hurt with my choice.

The sad part to me is that some people that are not in for the game have made an active choice to do everything they can try and make the game fail.

-snip-

We (those that paid in) made our own decision and anyone that is trying to actively screw with that is not just having a negative impact on SkitB, but also the community of 250 as a whole. Just lay off the BS and let things unfold as they will or won't. You are not doing any of your fellow community members a favor with the continual BS.

#382 7 years ago

Can't wait to see how this book and the LE Jacket turns out!

Jumping in today to send congratulations to the entire team that is going to work on this. The hard work starts today and all the best in the next few months.

#383 7 years ago
    Quoted from stoptap:

So you're way of showing support for something is to reject all concerns about the said project ? Good for you. There are many expressing concerns on this thread who have spent thousands and thousands on Stern's games over the years. Are they all 'haters' ? You should run the Stern Facebook page, you have the necessary 'pedigree'.
    And as for supporting a project that has you as a cheerleader ? I will definitely pass.

Well the level of concern I have isn't that large because Dameon has a large business in the print industry and Joe is in photography and art with his own business with well known clients on both sides. It's not like your putting thousands into say a Predator pinball table which a lot can go wrong and it did unfortunately. This is just a $55 book. If it somehow doesn't get made that is a $55 loss.

I have seen 3-4 GB tables and they all have ghosting inserts except for 1. A friend of mine recently got a SM:VE and Stern soldered the wrong wires so whenever the ball would go over the right in-lane, that would register as a ball drain. Quick fix but should have been caught in QC. Certainly there needs to be improvements at Stern and they realize that. There is a picture out there with Gary playing "Dialed In!". He knows what his competitors are doing. It's not some ultra secret as Jack from JJP told me (super smart and nice guy if you ever meet him). JJP, Stern, etc they all have QC problems however since Stern is the largest producer then that means more is bound to go wrong on a quick assembly line rather than a small shop like say Spooky Pinball. It's just Murphy's Law.

NIB prices are going up and it could be that the upcoming games like Star Wars and Aerosmith among others are not cheap. Jack told me what the next games are and those are not cheap licenses to get either. The games could even have more features or not and a lot is due to what the licensors allow and meeting price points. When I was talking to Steve Ritchie, they had a toy guy getting his head cut off in GoT for the ball lock area. They couldn't put that in though because HBO deemed it too excessive for a pinball machine (which Steve found it ridiculous as he watches the show himself). Steve never wants to work with HBO again. Maybe Stern employee's are getting big raises next year, who knows. I would like to know too what production numbers are because that is indicative on the state of health for the industry.

All that stuff I mentioned is probably gonna be in this book. If you don't like the book or pinball game then don't buy it, buy an old WMS/Bally, etc. However making stuff up like Stern is going to sell this in their store or Stern controls all content in this book is just plain dumb. Joe and Dameon also are giving out actual Christmas tree ornaments to all backers which were not even included in the rewards initially. Also I can't run the Stern FB page nor would I want to after reading this thread and Pinside. I'm also banned from their FB page as I stated earlier in this thread. Watch this "fluff piece" panel with Steve Ritchie from Pintastic:

He doesn't hide people faces in the QC department nor will this book. They are proud of their games/employee's but that being said things are constantly evolving as are standards as they should be with skyrocketing prices and competitors games.

#384 7 years ago
    Quoted from GotAQuestion:

Luckily, I don't collect $2000 books. I just know of them. There are some $150-200 books that I have though and still feel they're worth it.

1) This is nothing like investing. At all. Investing has an expectation that it will return a profit. This is closer to venture capital.
    1a) This is $55. Who cares. Again, in this hobby that's spit in the ocean.
    2) I take it you've never heard of Kickstarter before? You contribute money to projects that otherwise wouldn't happen and in turn typically get a product should things succeed. Though I have backed some video games that never made it to a final release. And one that never came to any product whatsoever, not even demos.
    3) Apples to Oranges on the Ford quote, and you'd better bet that Ford takes on debts to make their vehicles.
    4) This book isn't being made by Stern. This book is **about** Stern, with a ton of proprietary content being contributed by Stern.
    5) This book isn't being made by Stern AND demanding freebies seems pretty entitled.
    And that's about all I have the patience to respond to. I'd recommend doing some fact-checking before posting large, unpunctuated rants.

So you totally disagree with all that I wrote ? Read between the lines and the message is that people are steamed up and upset with Stern's behaviour towards customers.... Does this need thorough research in the world of yours ?

#385 7 years ago

So, the kickstarter is over? I've never done one before, does it reopen up for more orders or will there be another way to order for people who missed out? Thanks.

#386 7 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

So, the kickstarter is over? I've never done one before, does it reopen up for more orders or will there be another way to order for people who missed out? Thanks.

Likely there will be other forms of the book at retail or Amazon, etc after the backers are taken care of, just maybe/probably not the LE, and maybe/probably not immediately.

#387 7 years ago

Not sure if they will or not , but I'd like to see them do the "leftover" copies of the books in a soft cover version .

Leave the nice hard cover versions to those that were willing to back this project from the start ( and yes I am one of them ) .

Also agree that they should print AND deliver ALL copies of the books etc. to the backers first before they even think about selling off the rest .

#388 7 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

The kickstarter is not the only way to get the product

The kickstarter is asking for funding/pledges to get the project going... usually in exchange for some perks
    Often those perks include a copy of the product

But the idea is the product continues BEYOND the initial effort.. not just be limited to that first effort. It is intended to be a bootstrap to start a project, not be a limited project.

They say in their pitch they will make a 1,000 copies of the book as a minimum run. They can always make more afterwards too if the demand is there.

Don't confuse backers with limiting who can get the product. Just sometimes the perks for backers include limited offers that may not be available to people who were not backers.

#389 7 years ago

As a member of the 444 I hope they make one for anyone who wants one.

I hope it's successful enough that we get a B/W 90s book next. This may be the last time we have so many of the artists and engineers all in one place. If the Stern project goes well a BW project would get 1000s of donors.

#390 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

As a member of the 444 I hope they make one for anyone who wants one.
    I hope it's successful enough that we get a B/W 90s book next. This may be the last time we have so many of the artists and engineers all in one place. If the Stern project goes well a BW project would get 1000s of donors.

I hope this leads into more books about pinball! As a member of the 444 I would love to support a BW project also! Would love to see a Capcom book and behind the scences story as well.

#391 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

I hope this leads into more books about pinball!

Are you familiar with Pinball Magazine? According to many those issues are more like a book.

#392 7 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Are you familiar with Pinball Magazine? According to many those issues are more like a book.

Yes I have bought them and enjoy them...well not the newest issue yet.

#394 7 years ago

You're mixing them up, that's PinGame Journal that's been nothing but calendars for years! Pinball Magazine is completely different, and very impressive. As someone posted, they are more like books than magazines. Check it out here: http://www.pinball-magazine.com/

P.S. - I really look forward to reading issue #4 which just arrived the other day

#395 7 years ago

Would love to see a pingame journal with only artcles about new games/interviews. Those were awesome and a lot of info that has been long forgotten.

#396 7 years ago

Has there been a pingame journal since the Barenaked ladies issue? That is the last one I have received?

#397 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Has there been a pingame journal since the Barenaked ladies issue? That is the last one I have received?

At Pinball Expo Jim presented a special on Heighway Pinball's Alien, which - as I understood it - was more like a rough draft that could be published in a regular issue after being polished.

For those interested in interviews about new games, keep an eye out on the Pinball Magazine website later this week.

#398 7 years ago

Jim has a new issue, he just has to finalize it and get it to the printer. Lots of interviews in this one.

Added over 7 years ago: Latest info on the next issues in last post:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/its-back-next-issue-of-pingame-journal-at-expo

1 week later
    #399 7 years ago

Shame we won't get a layer by layer sheets in the book showing off how this thing was created. Look that thing. It's gotta be one of the most sophisticated pinball mechs ever made. Photo is from the website "Fun With Bonus".

15780882_10211022289583893_349249041251149714_n (resized).jpg15780882_10211022289583893_349249041251149714_n (resized).jpg

#400 7 years ago

I contributed a bit late but still got a contribution in. I really can't wait to see this book.

I almost did the ten books for $500 thing as that would have solved Christmas shopping for me next year but couldn't PavBall on the same page.

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 60.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter/page/8?hl=nowakster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.