Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 85 days ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 60.
    #2351 3 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

I hope books aren’t subject to this new 25% EU tariff.

No, books don‘t fall under that tariff but I‘m still unsure how the fees will be calculated. It boils down to this: Import-VAT is collected for goods with a value of more than (around) 25 Euros, so I‘m in on that. Additional customs fees apply for goods worth more than 150 Euros, so these will be added, too. The variable in question is the percentage.

Currently (and until the end of the year) the standard VAT is lowered from 19 % to 16 % and the reduced VAT rate applicable for certain goods (for example: books) is lowered from 7 % to 5 %.

Now if the customs officer decides, that the clothing part (Jacket and shirt) is the main component of the shipment, I would have to pay 16 % VAT and 12 % customs fees. If he choses the book to be the main component, I would have to pay 5 % VAT and 0 % customs fees.

Let’s just use the dollar amounts to make the math easier: $500 pledge for the Slash-Edition + $125.35 sh = $625.35

A: + 28 % = $800.45
    B: + 5 % = $656.62

Hoping that the customs officer has a good day and decides, that I ordered a book with a few gimmicks.

#2352 3 years ago

Wouldn't what they declare the value to be how taxes are handled?

Paperflock should value the items at their value, not what the crowdfunding collected.

#2353 3 years ago

So my Street Fighter: The Miniatures Game is getting ready to ship. This board game is insane. I literally got everything so it weighs 13lbs. To ship it to say France the price would be $31. Here is the Google Doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c-pz7HK38ob32Bed54uNd6BfGCpm5AAeWI1elac5mkU/edit#gid=0

This is the KS to give you an idea of the scope of this Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1821440755/street-fighter-the-miniatures-game

They mentioned shipping went DOWN in price and I'm getting it the first week of December.

#2354 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Wouldn't what they declare the value to be how taxes are handled?
    Paperflock should value the items at their value, not what the crowdfunding collected.

You‘re right, but some sellers don‘t specify the goods, so I need to provide proof and the only proof I have is my CC account statement just showing the amount paid.

#2355 3 years ago

Check your CC statements, fuckers billed me twice on Nov 10. Both were for the same amount, for the shipping and "extras".

#2356 3 years ago
    Quoted from blowback1976:

Check your CC statements, fuckers billed me twice on Nov 10. Both were for the same amount, for the shipping and "extras".

Thanks for the alert. I just checked and only see a single charge.

#2357 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Which pinball themed books do you like better and why?

There aren't really others that quite compete with the "encyclopedia" aspect of the Schiffer Pinball Compendium trio, but the lackluster photography and poor writing really need to be noted for anyone who might go spend $50 on one of them.
    The Bueschel books are a million times better and have the encyclopedic feel, but sadly he passed before he could get past volume 2, aka 1936
    For photos, the old books by Keith Temple, Roger Sharpe, Bill Kurtz are way better. And on the newer front, the Ciuffo book.

Now that this Stern book is done, we need someone to do encyclopedic books covering the great manufacturers like Gottlieb, Williams, Bally, Chicago Coin, Keeney, etc.
    Or we need someone to continue from where Bueschel left off and do things proper.

(The Bingo Pinball Wars and the Trade Stimulator books are also a good encyclopedic style tomes, but much more limited in their desirability due to the niche content.)

#2358 3 years ago

My wife put up our Xmas tree (yep, it’s way too early, but our 3yo got a kick out of it) - and guess what I saw??!!

66D95BF0-EC05-4489-8D7D-DEE729727D8C (resized).jpeg66D95BF0-EC05-4489-8D7D-DEE729727D8C (resized).jpeg
    #2359 3 years ago
    Quoted from ausretrogamer:

My wife put up our Xmas tree (yep, it’s way too early, but our 3yo got a kick out of it) - and guess what I saw??!!

She's buying the book for you, or for herself?

#2360 3 years ago
    Quoted from Aussiepinwiz:

She's buying the book for you, or for herself?

Lol

#2361 3 years ago

Who's older, the kid or the ornament?

#2362 3 years ago

My slightly used but treasured ornament is available free to anyone who wants it. Just pay the normal (and very reasonable) shipping of $25 in the US or $110 internationally. Shipping will occur in a very quick turnaround of 60-90 days.

#2363 3 years ago

I bailed on this and asked for refund. Has anyone who’s done this received an acknowledgment from Paperf*ck?

#2364 3 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

There aren't really others that quite compete with the "encyclopedia" aspect of the Schiffer Pinball Compendium trio, but the lackluster photography and poor writing really need to be noted for anyone who might go spend $50 on one of them.
    The Bueschel books are a million times better and have the encyclopedic feel, but sadly he passed before he could get past volume 2, aka 1936
    For photos, the old books by Keith Temple, Roger Sharpe, Bill Kurtz are way better. And on the newer front, the Ciuffo book.
    Now that this Stern book is done, we need someone to do encyclopedic books covering the great manufacturers like Gottlieb, Williams, Bally, Chicago Coin, Keeney, etc.
    Or we need someone to continue from where Bueschel left off and do things proper.
    (The Bingo Pinball Wars and the Trade Stimulator books are also a good encyclopedic style tomes, but much more limited in their desirability due to the niche content.)

Interestingly enough, I’m trying to publish a book about pinball. Yes, that’s right, pinball.

It’s expensive as heck to manufacture and distribute. I have a 32-page preview ‘zine that sounds expensive at $30 ($25 + $5 shipping), but half of that is printing and packaging. Not to mention time spent actually shooting the thing.

It’s on Pinside and Etsy. What it isn’t is an encyclopedia of games. It’s about the action and it’s about the people. Shot by a professional photojournalist (me).

I bring this up because a reasonable price of, say $50 for a hardback is only achievable is I shell out $30k for 1000 copies or so.

And then I have to sell those. One at a time. 600 just to cover the printer’s bill..

Before that, it’s at least 100 hours of editing, layouts, color correction, blah, blah, blah.

And a thousand more of shooting.

But I digress. I’ve thought about a Kickstarter but even then, the self-publishing economics are heart-breaking...

I’m not commenting to plug my publication. I’m commenting on the ‘why bother’ difficulties and costs.

And, of course, the images are horrible.

Rock on.

XTN
    4CAEDC77-9F1B-41EF-AC5A-4DB3282501E8 (resized).jpeg4CAEDC77-9F1B-41EF-AC5A-4DB3282501E8 (resized).jpeg

#2365 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

I bailed on this and asked for refund. Has anyone who’s done this received an acknowledgment from Paperf*ck?

I finally got one, but only after I sent at least 5 requests for a refund. I was finally acknowledged and instructed that the only way to get on the refund list was to message directly thru Kickstarter to Paperfluck--which is a little tricky to do--but I figured it out. Tomorrow is the last day--good luck!

#2366 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

I finally got one, but only after I sent at least 5 requests for a refund. I was finally acknowledged and instructed that the only way to get on the refund list was to message directly thru Kickstarter to Paperfluck--which is a little tricky to do--but I figured it out. Tomorrow is the last day--good luck!

Did you use this??

InkedScreenshot 2020-11-17 152951_LI (resized).jpgInkedScreenshot 2020-11-17 152951_LI (resized).jpg
    #2367 3 years ago

Much better link in next post.

#2368 3 years ago

cooked71 ( and anyone else who needs this info )

Go to this page :

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paperflock/keeping-the-ball-alive-30-years-of-stern-pinball/posts/3016461

On the right side next to the book click on the link where it says "created by Paperflock Inc"

This will take you to an "about the creator" page where you'll see a bit of info about Joe .

Click on the CONTACT ME button to send him a direct message .

* you have to be logged in to access the message system *

#2369 3 years ago
    Quoted from MIL:

cooked71 ( and anyone else who needs this info )
    Go to this page :
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paperflock/keeping-the-ball-alive-30-years-of-stern-pinball/posts/3016461
    On the right side next to the book click on the link where it says "created by Paperflock Inc"
    This will take you to an "about the creator" page where you'll see a bit of info about Joe .
    Click on the CONTACT ME button to send him a direct message .
    * you have to be logged in to access the message system *

Thx Macca.

#2370 3 years ago

If Stern is backing the project, then just drop the book at their warehouse and ship the books into their containers dispatched allover the World ! Get the books shipped locally from distributors. Will take more time to receive, but will cost much less.

#2371 3 years ago
    Quoted from desiArnez:

Interestingly enough, I’m trying to publish a book about pinball. Yes, that’s right, pinball.
    It’s expensive as heck to manufacture and distribute. I have a 32-page preview ‘zine that sounds expensive at $30 ($25 + $5 shipping), but half of that is printing and packaging. Not to mention time spent actually shooting the thing.
    It’s on Pinside and Etsy. What it isn’t is an encyclopedia of games. It’s about the action and it’s about the people. Shot by a professional photojournalist (me).
    I bring this up because a reasonable price of, say $50 for a hardback is only achievable is I shell out $30k for 1000 copies or so.
    And then I have to sell those. One at a time. 600 just to cover the printer’s bill..
    Before that, it’s at least 100 hours of editing, layouts, color correction, blah, blah, blah.
    And a thousand more of shooting.
    But I digress. I’ve thought about a Kickstarter but even then, the self-publishing economics are heart-breaking...
    I’m not commenting to plug my publication. I’m commenting on the ‘why bother’ difficulties and costs.
    And, of course, the images are horrible.
    Rock on.
    XTN
    [quoted image]

https://www.etsy.com/listing/877261636/just-pinball-the-zine-a-photojournalists

#2372 3 years ago

I was offered the pin set for free (a $55 value!!!) to continue with my purchase instead of a refund. I chose the refund

#2373 3 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I was offered the pin set for free (a $55 value!!!) to continue with my purchase instead of a refund. I chose the refund

#2374 3 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

#2375 3 years ago

I was offered this deal as well a couple of days ago. Hard pass. Since Joe is offering enameled pins (that he probably can't sell) as an enticement to pay the exorbitant shipping I am pretty sure he no longer has any control over it. Guessing he put the shipping out for bid, didn't really care about the result to his backers, took the highest bid and left us to worry about the ridiculous costs. Joe, this project just keeps improving...

I asked for an expedited refund, which I noted seems only fair since they've had my money to do whatever with for four years. Answer was a curt "It will take 60-90 days" with no explanation as of why that might be.

#2376 3 years ago

technically, if they are "refunding" the transaction, we should see the 5% back from paypal. the only money lost should be what kickstarter takes.

#2377 3 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

technically, if they are "refunding" the transaction, we should see the 5% back from paypal. the only money lost should be what kickstarter takes.

Paypal no longer refunds their fees when a seller refunds a buyer. This has been in affect for several months.

#2378 3 years ago

Still waiting for the book even though they took the S&H money.

#2379 3 years ago

Anyone know if they shipped yet? I paid and the product is there. Why didn’t it ship the day after i paid? Oh right, paperfuck, thats why.........

#2380 3 years ago

No shipping here yet either. They charged us $11 to “store” the book. What a joke.

#2381 3 years ago

Anyone consider that Joe may just take your money and not ship anything? I can just see this coming: "Big news--the fulfillment company we contracted with tells us their warehouse burned down, taking all the books with it. We are sorry, but we are out of money and out of business--thanks for your support!"

#2382 3 years ago
    Quoted from Backyardace:

No shipping here yet either. They charged us $11 to “store” the book. What a joke.

Wow! $11 to store the book? Presumably with the fulfillment company? Are the books allegedly all printed and sitting with the fulfillment company or are they storing vaporware?

#2383 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

Anyone consider that Joe may just take your money and not ship anything? I can just see this coming: "Big news--the fulfillment company we contracted with tells us their warehouse burned down, taking all the books with it. We are sorry, but we are out of money and out of business--thanks for your support!"

Can certainly see this happening.

Quoted from Backyardace:

This is crazy. I have no legal background but with the shipping rates they're charging how is this not mail fraud? Advising the shipping rate is one thing but charging a complete different price. I am sure someone on Pinside has a legal background that can advise if you all have a case or not. I would think that you signed a "contract" when you supported this Kickstarter and the shipping was stated. Now they're ripping people off with the inflated cost!

I didn't support so I don't mean to offend those that did but how does one still send these guys money? You're now paying more in shipping then the book so walk away and IF the book comes to fruition they're going to have a lot leftover where they will sell on the secondary market (Amazon etc.). Buy it then and save yourself a lot of money.

I know it's hard to walkaway once you put money down but man this is just brutal! Feel for all the supporters.

#2384 3 years ago

They acknowledged my refund request - now we'll see what happens with the credit card being expired.

Wonder how many cancelled.

#2385 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

exactly what I was thinking - but reckon the reason will be too many people want refunds so we can fund the refund now send the books so we will just put some up at Amazon.

Quoted from cooked71:

They acknowledged my refund request - now we'll see what happens with the credit card being expired.
    Wonder how many cancelled.

I got a message from kickstarter and they said that if you have you new card registered with kickstarter the money will find it's way.

I am still blown aware that they are not using the guy in their team that does printing ..... they could at least store the books there to save on the fees.

#2386 3 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

I got a message from kickstarter and they said that if you have you new card registered with kickstarter the money will find it's way.

Good thinking 99. Just updated it - surely they'll be able to work it out.

#2387 3 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

I am still blown aware that they are not using the guy in their team that does printing ..... they could at least store the books there to save on the fees.

Maybe they are and he’s the one charging the fee...

#2388 3 years ago

Holy cow all, I read this whole thread over the last couple days since it's been on fire and I like to start from the beginning. All I have to say is wow. I was not able to see images as I read, so was the ZY print ever revealed? I was interested in taking over someone's order that is overseas that didn't want the super crazy shipping, but I wonder if anything actually exists at all. I'll keep an eye out on secondary market.

#2389 3 years ago
    papertime (resized).jpgpapertime (resized).jpg
    #2390 3 years ago

Paperflock interview on next super awesome pinball show

#2391 3 years ago

Does the $55 valued pin to keep you in increase the shipping charge?? That can’t be free!!

#2392 3 years ago

Apparently, shipping is hard, pinball is easy.

#2393 3 years ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Ask them how long does it take from them accepting money for shipping to actually ship a book.

#2394 3 years ago

Since Paperflock is holding everyone’s book ransom with ridiculous shipping charges, then as a group, all you backers should treat it as a kidnapping. Noone should send them any shipping money until they show “proof of life”. Demand a picture of all the printed books where they are supposedly being stored. I for one, don’t believe for a second that the books exist. We’ve seen this many times before. It would not surprise me to find out that the shipping money they are trying to extort is needed to print the books. That is best case scenario. Worst case is they just want to steal as much money as possible before pulling a Kulek.

#2395 3 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Since Paperflock is holding everyone’s book ransom with ridiculous shipping charges, then as a group, all you backers should treat it as a kidnapping. Noone should send them any shipping money until they show “proof of life”. Demand a picture of all the printed books where they are supposedly being stored. I for one, don’t believe for a second that the books exist. We’ve seen this many times before. It would not surprise me to find out that the shipping money they are trying to extort is needed to print the books. That is best case scenario. Worst case is they just want to steal as much money as possible before pulling a Kulek.

Pics has already been shown, including pics of the books being signed at Stern. These pics were from Jack Danger.

118684764_10158818090593259_7547393623603905873_n (resized).jpg118684764_10158818090593259_7547393623603905873_n (resized).jpg118704411_10158818090528259_4591280875090924908_n (resized).jpg118704411_10158818090528259_4591280875090924908_n (resized).jpg
    #2396 3 years ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Ask Joe if he plans to make people whole who paid him directly for the book after the Kickstarter closed...

#2397 3 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Ask Joe if he plans to make people whole who paid him directly for the book after the Kickstarter closed...

Can’t believe they’re interviewing these clowns. Hope they don’t go easy on them.

#2398 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Can’t believe they’re interviewing these clowns. Hope they don’t go easy on them.

totally agree

#2400 3 years ago

Fairly interesting podcast. Some highlights that I heard:

1) Apparently anyone that has a $100+ S&H fee is normal if it's going outside the USA. $600+ is just crazy stupid they said. They also said that Backerkit was supposed to be their fulfillment but backed out due to the pandemic. They claimed that Media Mail isn't feasible for these books and there wasn't any cheaper method. This has all been dis-proven. Joe also mentioned that the books should be shipping within the next week or so.
    2) Dameon is very much involved with the project including Joes family, friends, and the LA pinball scene. He has a few games in fact and Joe didn't mention if he had games.
    3) Stern Pinball is very much involved with this book than what it appears. A key contact was Jody Dankberg in fact and essentially Paperflock wanted to get into more business relationships with Stern. They figured this was a proving project of sorts. The pinball machine slides that were given to them were essentially useless being in 2 floods. They thought they could scan the slides, clean them up, and that was it. Stern gave them unfettered access to anything they wanted it sounded like including titles that have never been heard of before forgotten in dusty boxes.
    4) They have lost their shirts creating this book.
    5) The scope of the book sounds considerable and sounds of high quality. Gary Stern, etc everyone has said this is THE book that every Stern collector wants.
    6) They only made 444 books and because of that, they are highly desirable. I got an additional book for a friend when the surveys went out. I guess I got lucky because there is a list of people that want to buy books that the people refunded. So there is certainly a demand for these books and Paperflock said every copy, LE or not, are highly sought after. There may be future editions or whatever but it won't be these Kickstarter books.
    7) Joe is working with China to get enamel pins made.
    8) There are multiple hour long interviews with many designers and coders of Stern Pinball, SEGA folks, Data East people like Joe Kaminkow. Why they haven't released these videos over the years is a mystery to me.
    9) The project faced a considerable amount of consternation from people who have never used Kickstarter before. Unfortunately it's likely their last thanks to the mishandling of this project.
    10) John Trudeau is still in the book but only limited to the scope of his games. Most of his stuff has been cut-out including his autograph which they didn't replace with anything.
    11) The books scope goes from Stern Pinball, not Stern Electronics. So about 90+ games to the last game being Aerosmith.

What I feel, or what I hope I'll say, is that that these books will not only deliver upon the promise of the initial Kickstarter but exceed it. I also think every book is worth quite a bit more than what we got them for. People are buying $1k toppers and selling out of them. A MAJOR problem with this Kickstarter has been communication and that alone cost Paperflock greatly. They should have gone to expos or contacting people to photograph their games. Instead they made it seem like the only way to photograph these games was by going to the local arcade or museum because games don't exist anywhere else. They should have worked with Orange Photography, Imoto Harney, Jonathan Joosten at the bare minimum. They bought every pinball book out there but didn't reach out to those creators which again, communication issues. They took our money and tried to do it on their own within a close circle with namely Stern and Gary referring people to them. They got in way over their heads but dug in deep and pushed forward rather than asking for outside help.

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 60.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter/page/48 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.