Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 84 days ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 60.
    #2301 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I've heard that the only pinball book which is "critically acclaimed" is PINBALL, by Santiago Ciuffo.

I’ve heard good things about that one too. I think unigroove published it. http://pinball-magazine.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=60&product_id=102

#2302 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I've heard that the only pinball book which is "critically acclaimed" is PINBALL, by Santiago Ciuffo.

I have this one on my coffee table that I recieved in the secret Santa on here last year. Great book with some awesome photography and cool stories.

#2303 3 years ago

I feel so bad for all of you guys, and that I dodged a bullet with this one. I’ve backed 47 different kickstarters all of them have came through. I’m waiting for 3 right now, but one of them should shit this week. I was so close to jumping on this book, but ultimately decided to just buy it off Amazon if you guys gave it positive reviews. So I’ve been following this for years with no skin in the game. This is ridiculous that you’re being charge so much for shipping. I’ve had many heavy boxes shipped internationally before and it’s never been so outrageous.

#2304 3 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I’ve backed 47 different kickstarters all of them have came through. I’m waiting for 3 right now, but one of them should shit this week.

Good luck!

paperflock (resized).JPGpaperflock (resized).JPG

#2305 3 years ago

International backers check your emails, looks like paperflock offering refunds of book.

#2306 3 years ago
    D56D791A-1BE0-45DC-B0E6-DB9EA26D82E8 (resized).jpegD56D791A-1BE0-45DC-B0E6-DB9EA26D82E8 (resized).jpeg
    #2307 3 years ago

I'll take it. 90% is better than the 0% I was thinking about taking by walking away. Just way too much for one book.

#2308 3 years ago

I'll be taking the refund. I'm not giving him the opportunity to make more money off me.

#2309 3 years ago

thats great, refund for me as well

#2310 3 years ago

I suspect many will take them up on that

#2311 3 years ago

I'm taking a refund as well. There probably will be a glut of books on the market--these will not be the collectible item that Paperfluck thinks they are. Look for them to be in the bargain bin in six months.

#2312 3 years ago

I'm shipping mine to a friend in the States and I'll pick it up whenever I next see him. I would have gone for a refund but if they're quoting 60-90 days to process I just don't trust that I'd ever receive it.

#2313 3 years ago

had I known that they'd finally offer a refund offer I would have jumped on that. I begrudgingly sent my funds for shipping the other day. I wonder if it's too late to get a refund. 292 from 325 is better than receiving something that I know I just not going to be happy with.

I just entered a claim with my credit card company for the shipping charge and submitted my cancellation on kickstarter. I plan to bring this up with jack danger as well (he should know the full story and read this thread)

#2314 3 years ago

I just sent Kickstarter a request for a refund, proof of receipt of my request ASAP (since Schmoe put and end date of less than a week on the requests), and thanked them for all the hard work and oversight of their "creator"--and for taking 5% of my refund.

#2315 3 years ago

I requested a refund as well

BUT

I screenshot my recent messages and my pledge just as proof before it disappears.

I don't trust them - you would think if everything is ready they would be proud to show the piles of jackets, pins, books

as for the refund - I get that kickstarter takes a bit but not sure why paypal when I paid with a credit card but whatever 90% is better than nothing.

#2316 3 years ago

I paid the $23 shipping. Looking forward to the book.

#2317 3 years ago

This book will be the Thunderbirds of pinball .... highly advertised, greatest ever, lots of hype, creator ends up being a jackass, finally delivers, product is crap, prices tank in the aftermarket

#2318 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

You can't just quote media mail though.
    Look at the majority of the people complaining about $80-$100+ shipping costs... they didn't just order the book.
    Plus media mail is domestic only...

I did just order the book, $55, then get a $85 postage charge. The book ALONE is $85 postage.

#2319 3 years ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

I did just order the book, $55, then get a $85 postage charge. The book ALONE is $85 postage.

Yup, same here. Book alone costs $85 to ship to the UK. I added a t-shirt just to see what would happen to the shipping costs and it increased to just over $125.

#2320 3 years ago

Don't you think it odd that an arbitrary date has been set for refunds and payments, 17th Nov?
    My guess is they plan on shipping out shortly after and want peoples money before anyone actually receives it and sees what a turd it is, then start asking for refunds as well.

They can get f#$ED if they think I'm making a decision either way, until someone actually has the book in their hand to see what it is like.

Anyone asking for refunds should be asking for at least 3yrs interest on their pledge, they cant claim to have paid up front for the printing that long ago so the money must have been sat in an account accruing interest, unless it was p1$$ed away on holidays and interns

#2321 3 years ago

I'd much rather wait until they put it on Amazon for $90 and buy it that way. Free shipping and a smaller percentage goes to the fůckwits

#2322 3 years ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

I'd much rather wait until they put it on Amazon for $90 and buy it that way. Free shipping and a smaller percentage goes to the fůckwits

I doubt it will go on Amazon. They only have 50 extra books. If they are really shipping after Nov 17 maybe I'll get it this month.

#2323 3 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

I doubt it will go on Amazon. They only have 50 extra books. If they are really shipping after Nov 17 maybe I'll get it this month.

well they are about to have a whole lot of 'incompleted purchases' inventory too

#2324 3 years ago

They will have plenty of extra books from all the cancellations.

great minds...

#2325 3 years ago

I never got a backer-kit however *sigh* this is still why I want my book. I'll message here when Joe sends me an e-mail with shipping rate. I'm at the $125 level.

1) I have been waiting FOUR years.
    2) Curiosity killed the cat? Is the book good or bad? Only way to find out is receive it.
    3) I hope Jack Danger, etc were right saying it's awesome.
    4) I paid for the book at the time with a pre-paid credit card that no longer exists. Not sure if it could be changed to another credit card.
    5) I'm hoping shipping isn't that bad from CA to MA.

#2326 3 years ago

Just sent in my $61 US for shipping.

I doubt I would be able to get a refund anyway. The card I used to pledge no longer exists. Not just that I replaced it, the card company no longer exists so getting the refund through Kickstarter would've been problematic.

It does make me feel at least a little bit better that they will refund people who want their cash back. I hope they deliver on that promise...

#2327 3 years ago

Well I decided to go for it...

My main reason is that I don't really trust a refund. Like others, I also used a prepaid credit card (from a company that no longer exists). So that refund would've probably bounced or gone in a void somewhere. Let's just hope this thing really is worth the ridiculous $125 shipping charge. And the import duties on top. Ugh.

What the headache this project has been. 4 years is just too darn long, no matter what the excuse is.

Does anyone know what the last game featured in this book will actually be? Ghostbusters?

#2328 3 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Does anyone know what the last game featured in this book will actually be? Ghostbusters?

Well, Batman66 is the official 30th anniversary title, and I believe the poster they've shown included up to Aerosmith.

#2329 3 years ago

Imagine how cheap shipping will be when Joe sells the cancelled books to uncommitted buyers.

#2330 3 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

I never got a backer-kit however *sigh* this is still why I want my book. I'll message here when Joe sends me an e-mail with shipping rate. I'm at the $125 level.
    1) I have been waiting FOUR years.
    2) Curiosity killed the cat? Is the book good or bad? Only way to find out is receive it.
    3) I hope Jack Danger, etc were right saying it's awesome.
    4) I paid for the book at the time with a pre-paid credit card that no longer exists. Not sure if it could be changed to another credit card.
    5) I'm hoping shipping isn't that bad from CA to MA.

Between Joe and Danger gushing about how great this 4 year opus and work of art is--how could it possibly be otherwise?

#2331 3 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisBardon:

I'll take it. 90% is better than the 0% I was thinking about taking by walking away. Just way too much for one book.

I'd bring my book to the league when we reconvene but then this is an expensive book and don't want everyone's pizza fingerprints all over it. lol.

#2332 3 years ago

Well I sent a note to please cancel my pledge, and got a note from Emma right away apologizing for the shipping hassle. She confirmed they were refunding my shipping payment immediately and would be processing a refund for the rest shortly. So A+ for Emma. Like others here my card has expired it's been so long, but hoping that gets worked out with the new one. I just couldn't see this book ever living up to my expectations after four years of waiting, or justify it being worth the exorbitant cost to land it despite being a "one-of-a-kind art piece" with *my name in it* and new 50% weight gain

#2333 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I'd bring my book to the league when we reconvene but then this is an expensive book and don't want everyone's pizza fingerprints all over it.

You crack me up frolic

#2334 3 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Well I decided to go for it...
    My main reason is that I don't really trust a refund. Like others, I also used a prepaid credit card (from a company that no longer exists). So that refund would've probably bounced or gone in a void somewhere. Let's just hope this thing really is worth the ridiculous $125 shipping charge. And the import duties on top. Ugh.
    What the headache this project has been. 4 years is just too darn long, no matter what the excuse is.

Would it be possible to refund the amount via a different credit card?

Anyways for CA to MA (domestic shipping) it's $23. For some reason they didn't use the e-mail that you have on your Kickstarter account like every campaign does and instead used an out-of-date e-mail like they did with me.

#2335 3 years ago

Think im also going to bail on this. At least the currency changes since then will even out the 10% cancellation fee.

#2336 3 years ago

First of all, my sympathies to all who ordered this book and got let-down after let-down.
    Second: thanks for the kind words on the PINBALL book by Santiago Ciuffo, which is published by Pinball Magazine (link at the top of this page).

As publisher of Pinball Magazine, I'm familiar with how crazy shipping costs can be. I am working with two postal companies, both offering various rates, in order to keep shipping costs affordable. However, I've never seen the rates that you guys have been charged. I'm not saying these aren't accurate, but there must be ways to ship the books cheaper.

If I may make a suggestion for overseas customers, like those in Western Europe: it may be very cost effective to ship all books and other materials that come with it as freight to one address in e.g. The Netherlands. From there, the books can either be picked up, or shipped to another lcation in Europe. The shipping rate with PostNL for a package up to 5 kilograms from Netherlands to most West EU countries is like 20 Euro, even cheaper if it's under 2 kilograms. The split shipping costs of the cargo package are probably even less than that, so I guess the shipping would per backer shouldn't exceed 40 euro. Not sure if I can be of any help, but I'm willing to see if I can in some way.

Regarding the 90% refund: as far as I can see, the math is off. Kickstarter takes 5% and so does Paypal. But Paypal also applies fees (probably 5%) in case of a refund. I'm sure you can do the math on that.

Slightly related (shameless self plug):
    As I mentioned, as publisher of Pinball Magazine I've been dealing with shipping books and magazines quite a bit. Recently I discovered a 'loophole' that actually results in lower postal costs in some cases. I'll spare you the technical details, but if you've been on the fence about ordering issues of Pinball Magazine due to shipping costs in the past, now may be a good time to maybe consider ordering one or more issues (which are more like books anyway).

Jonathan
    www.pinball-magazine.com/shop/

#2337 3 years ago

Welp! I went all in and paid $125.35 shipping to Germany. Keeping my fingers crossed now.

#2338 3 years ago

I bailed and opted for a refund and if they don't pay up I will just publish what they did

#2339 3 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

This book will be the Thunderbirds of pinball .... highly advertised, greatest ever, lots of hype, creator ends up being a jackass, finally delivers, product is crap, prices tank in the aftermarket

And yet, I still kinda want to play it - almost enough to buy one of the $3000 ones constantly changing hands.

#2340 3 years ago

Jared wish Stern would make an official statement about all these years of BS I don’t just blame Joe and Paperflock but also Stern

#2341 3 years ago

I also requested a refund and got a message from Emma.
    Don't see anything changed on my pledge on kickstarter so hope they process it..
    Would be still interested in the book if they can get shipping to Europe down to $30 or less..
    I'm happy that they finally communicate after all these years..

#2342 3 years ago

My concern is where the money for the refunds will come from. If they’re asking for 60-90 days to process it, clearly they don’t have the money now. So I’m guessing they’re relying on re-selling the cancelled books to generate the cash. What happens in 60-90 days if they still don’t have the money?

I almost feel like it’s safer to just pay shipping and get the book.

#2343 3 years ago

Did kickstarter already send all the money to them, or do they only get it when people mark the book as received ?
    From the reply I received, I understand they changed my balance and Kickstarter themselves will handle the refund.

#2344 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

And yet, I still kinda want to play it - almost enough to buy one of the $3000 ones constantly changing hands.

Motordome is more fun.

#2345 3 years ago
    Quoted from aeneas:

Did kickstarter already send all the money to them, or do they only get it when people mark the book as received ?
    From the reply I received, I understand they changed my balance and Kickstarter themselves will handle the refund.

Usually kick started sends them cash the second they hit there goal, That's the reason this and many other kick started can be dragged out so long as they have the cash and no real incentive to complete the project in any timely fashion. If they only got the cash once the book was shipped you can bet it would of been shipped 3 years ago

#2346 3 years ago

The whole point of kickstarter is to fund projects. Of course they receive the funds at the beginning not the end. I’m still in for my book and extra’s.

#2347 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

My concern is where the money for the refunds will come from. If they’re asking for 60-90 days to process it, clearly they don’t have the money now. So I’m guessing they’re relying on re-selling the cancelled books to generate the cash. What happens in 60-90 days if they still don’t have the money?
    I almost feel like it’s safer to just pay shipping and get the book.

Well some of the refund money is coming from the excessive shipping charges others are paying!

#2348 3 years ago

If anyone who just bought a book and is interested in a refund want to sell me their copy, I will gladly work something out with you. I am in the US and looking for a couple extra copies to give as gifts.

#2349 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I'd bring my book to the league when we reconvene but then this is an expensive book and don't want everyone's pizza fingerprints all over it. lol.

We can all wear those white archivists gloves when we finally get to have a league event in 2023...

Had it not been been for Covid, I thought about asking about combined shipping for Canadian (or at least Ontario/GTA) backers to a single location. I've done this with league people for things like parts orders, and it's saved a bunch of money. Not sure how many there are though.

#2350 3 years ago
    Quoted from The_Blues:

Welp! I went all in and paid $125.35 shipping to Germany. Keeping my fingers crossed now.

I hope books aren’t subject to this new 25% EU tariff.

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 60.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter/page/47?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.