Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 60.
    #2251 3 years ago

Cointaker managed to send me the Stranger Things UV kit via FedEx for $39.99. Ordered on a Tuesday morning and was delivered to London three days later on the Friday. Bigger and heavier box too.

#2252 3 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

maybe he should store in a personal / friends garage and pack himself instead of charging us the fees

Joe doesn't strike me as the type of person who would roll up his sleeves to do that type of work.

#2253 3 years ago

The box he is recomending is suitable for up to 20lbs. This must be because of the poster tube. Unfortunately International freight is charged by volume (volumetric) or dead weight - whichever is greatest. If he is trying to send the rolled up poster together with the box, the measurements for the entire package is taken as the longest/highest/widest dimension of the box. So effectively you are paying to ship air as if it weighs something. Guranteed if we took the poster out of the shipment, the International cost would drop dramatically.

#2254 3 years ago

I actually just realized that this is going to get even worse, because even IF it manages to get shipped at a more reasonable rate, it'll get hit for another pile of money at customs. Add another what...30-50 bucks on top of the shipping cost (depending on what the carrier takes as a brokerage fee)?

#2255 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

The box he is recomending is suitable for up to 20lbs. This must be because of the poster tube. Unfortunately International freight is charged by volume (volumetric) or dead weight - whichever is greatest. If he is trying to send the rolled up poster together with the box, the measurements for the entire package is taken as the longest/highest/widest dimension of the box. So effectively you are paying to ship air as if it weighs something. Guranteed if we took the poster out of the shipment, the International cost would drop dramatically.

There were 2 posters in the campaign. The one of all the games (folded in the book), and the ZombieYeti print. When I went in, it said that there were 2 separate shipments (one with the book/folded poster/shirt, and one with the print). Nothing rolled in the box from what I saw.

#2256 3 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Why the hell is he shipping priority mail across the world? A 2 lb parcel from the USA to Norway is $24 via USPS first class mail. Should be the same price to most of the EU. Sure, it takes a bit longer, but its also a fraction of the cost.

and what is another couple of months after 4 years since this crap started

#2257 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Joe doesn't strike me as the type of person who would roll up his sleeves to do that type of work.

yeah I know

#2258 3 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisBardon:

I actually just realized that this is going to get even worse, because even IF it manages to get shipped at a more reasonable rate, it'll get hit for another pile of money at customs. Add another what...30-50 bucks on top of the shipping cost (depending on what the carrier takes as a brokerage fee)?

Since it’s USPS that means Canada Post. For us in Canada that means a 50-50 chance of being nailed on the way in. That would be for a $10 charge plus HST on the declared value. Or the postman might just leave it at your door.

#2259 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Since it’s USPS that means Canada Post. For us in Canada that means a 50-50 chance of being nailed on the way in. That would be for a $10 charge plus HST on the declared value. Or the postman might just leave it at your door.

Yeah, but if it's UPS, then it's much more expensive. Either way, it'd be $150 to get everything landed, and it's just not worth it.

Fortunately, I don't have to worry about not having any ZombieYeti art anymore. I've got two (soon to be three) pins with his work on them.

#2260 3 years ago

Oops

#2261 3 years ago

My 2 massive Eve Online books came from NJ and went to MA used "media mail". This guy is such a fraud and I really, really, don't want this book. I just want my money back. How did this guy ship cameras he made? Like???? *Well at least he is responding on the comment section of Kickstarter.

#2262 3 years ago

Oh and I have never got a Backerkit e-mail still.

#2263 3 years ago

85$ is a bargain compared to pinball life shipping rate and en par with Stern...

...wich is sadly why I never ordered a Black Knight record, since it was three times the price of the record itself. -_-;

#2264 3 years ago

I’m not sure how feasible it is, but maybe some of us in the US can take shipments for those across the world and reship to them for a reasonable cost? I would be willing to help out a couple (as long as I can read the book, put your posters on the wall for awhile and wear your jackets....)

#2265 3 years ago
    Quoted from master_of_chaos:

In fact, if i calculate with 2.5KG weight , USPS says it will be 85,10$ [quoted image]

Express mail is the most expensive USPS tier. You picked the wrong method.

#2266 3 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I just posted a reply on their kickstarter page. what joe doesn't realize is that buy using the usps's flat rate boxes, he's subjecting everyone to usps's flat rate charges.
    I [left handedly] let him know to get off his lazy ass and purchase the proper size generic box (which he can do through uline.com) and the shipping costs should be drastically lower.
    again, this is just another instance of them doing the least amount of effort rather than taking some time and investigating.
    additionally, using a flat rate box means that you have to use more packaging material (or probably in this case, he'll probably just ship it without any protection and the 4.5lb book ends up getting banged around, arriving all dinged and dog-eared.
    flat rate (12"x12"x5")
    [quoted image]
    vs. media mail (same size box, same origin, same destination)
    [quoted image]
    and for our international friends, here's a direct comparison with using flat rate vs. your own box which equals a $20 difference
    [quoted image]

Plus you're checking RETAIL rates. If he uses something like Endicia for a month, he can get another 15% or more off those rates.

#2267 3 years ago
    Quoted from DS_Nadine:

85$ is a bargain compared to pinball life shipping rate and en par with Stern...
    ...wich is sadly why I never ordered a Black Knight record, since it was three times the price of the record itself. -_-;

Not sure why you mention pinballlife, I’ve just purchased 2 new ramps for iron man so the box was big, so I chucked a tonne of stuff in with the order, brackets, targets, ball the box weighed a fair bit. Shipping was $125, which is a lot but considering the size of the box and the fact it took 3 days to arrive here in the U.K. from the U.S. is pretty good.

robin has been quoted $125 to ship a book, T-shirt and a poster in no way can anyone say the shipping from Papercock is a bargain!

#2268 3 years ago

Why use USPS when so expensive, it's not as if there are other carriers out there.
    How the hell can a book be classed as fragile.. if it's properly packaged you could use it as a bloody brick.

How is the suggestion to ship it to someone in the US going to help. US backers are also complaining about the cost.

The problem is clearly USPS, in the same way the Royal Mail is in the UK.

For the love of all that is holy - Use a commercial carrier (Hermes, FedEx, DHL, UPS, etc, etc ), and pack and prepare it yourself.

Justify the "couple of dollars" you are taking as a handling fee.

I also thinks that this opens the door for a legitimate refund.
    I budgeted for a book at $55 with carriage up to $20 - $75 total.
    The fact that it is now $55 + $85 - $140 total would have counted me out immediately.
    T

20201110_095903 (resized).jpg20201110_095903 (resized).jpg
    #2269 3 years ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

Why use USPS when so expensive, it's not as if there are other carriers out there.
    How the hell can a book be classed as fragile.. if it's properly packaged you could use it as a bloody brick.
    How is the suggestion to ship it to someone in the US going to help. US backers are also complaining about the cost.
    The problem is clearly USPS, in the same way the Royal Mail is in the UK.
    For the love of all that is holy - Use a commercial carrier (Hermes, FedEx, DHL, UPS, etc, etc ), and pack and prepare it yourself.
    Justify the "couple of dollars" you are taking as a handling fee.
    I also thinks that this opens the door for a legitimate refund.
    I budgeted for a book at $55 with carriage up to $20 - $75 total.
    The fact that it is now $55 + $85 - $140 total would have counted me out immediately.
    T
    [quoted image]

Media Mail DOES NOT take "several months" to deliver. Even at the busiest time (Christmas) it can take up to 3 weeks, but that's only "up to" and it's often less. All other times of the year, Media Mail takes about 7-10 days.

To anyone that does any amount of shipping he sounds like a con man or a moron. The reality he presents is not what it's like in the real world.

#2270 3 years ago

So I had just checked the media mail rate before posting, and he argues thats not the cost even 4 yrs ago. I made it 5lbs with large dimensions, way more than the book would be

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #2271 3 years ago

Domestic media mail includes tracking. I've shipped countless CDs via Discogs.com. Here's an actual package I shipped recently if you're curious what Media Mail tracking looks like:

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?tLabels=9449011202271825722891

Expand the Tracking History section and you can see every step along the way. Took a week. Not bad compared to (checks thread) four years.

#2272 3 years ago

Ok, so im also over on klov and just ordered a 267 pg hardcover book from england. Book, plus shipping is £25, or about $34. How the hell can Joe charge what he is?

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/threads/new-book-missile-commander-available-now.480535/

Maybe its media mail vs priority, but considering the book and shipping is less than either alone, that guy is just a jerk.

5D6412F1-65C1-4494-BEBA-1627B1F3E0DF (resized).jpeg5D6412F1-65C1-4494-BEBA-1627B1F3E0DF (resized).jpeg
    #2273 3 years ago

Glad I dodged this one. John Trudeau on my coffee table? That's a hard pass.

#2274 3 years ago

This is like 20 minutes away from me. If the books are here, could I or someone else local volunteer to pick them up and ship them for closer to actual cost? I never ordered a book but these prices are ridiculous.

#2275 3 years ago
    Quoted from dugmar:

Glad I dodged this one. John Trudeau on my coffee table? That's a hard pass.

Is he really having John Trudeau sign these things? I doubt he is carrying all those books to be signed in prison (or dust jackets even) on visiting hours and I believe it wouldn’t be allowed anyways.

#2276 3 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

This is like 20 minutes away from me. If the books are here, could I or someone else local volunteer to pick them up and ship them for closer to actual cost? I never ordered a book but these prices are ridiculous.

Who knows where Joe has these stashed, but if you were able to do this I (and I'm sure the other Pinsiders as well) would gladly send you a handling fee for your efforts--I'd rather give my money to a member of Pinside than send another dime to Oily Joe.

#2277 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Is he really having John Trudeau sign these things? I doubt he is carrying all those books to be signed in prison (or dust jackets even) on visiting hours and I believe it wouldn’t be allowed anyways.

Not sure about signing it, but he was a contributor that they are still pushing on their website. Which is not a surprise to me. These guys do not seem to know anything about pinball or the community.

Hard pass.

Plus it is a kickstarter project. Not worth the risk.

#2278 3 years ago

anybody looking for a better pinball book -
    I bought this one years ago and have been very happy with it
    Only goes up to 2011 but it's packed with detailed info

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #2279 3 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I just posted a reply on their kickstarter page. what joe doesn't realize is that buy using the usps's flat rate boxes, he's subjecting everyone to usps's flat rate charges.
    I [left handedly] let him know to get off his lazy ass and purchase the proper size generic box (which he can do through uline.com) and the shipping costs should be drastically lower.
    again, this is just another instance of them doing the least amount of effort rather than taking some time and investigating.
    additionally, using a flat rate box means that you have to use more packaging material (or probably in this case, he'll probably just ship it without any protection and the 4.5lb book ends up getting banged around, arriving all dinged and dog-eared.
    flat rate (12"x12"x5")
    [quoted image]
    vs. media mail (same size box, same origin, same destination)
    [quoted image]
    and for our international friends, here's a direct comparison with using flat rate vs. your own box which equals a $20 difference
    [quoted image]

You can't just quote media mail though.

Look at the majority of the people complaining about $80-$100+ shipping costs... they didn't just order the book.

Plus media mail is domestic only...

#2280 3 years ago

Caught PaperF*ck in a blatant lie;

PaperFlock Update #53; "And Backerkit requires we get signature confirmation and a tracking number."

BackerKit response to my question about signature confirmation and tracking; "We do not require that a creator fulfills with signature required."

10 to 1, he's just trying to create as much money-flow as possible, and then is going to walk away again. Probably why he's pandering to the overseas backers on the shipping cost. If they pay him something, it's more than nothing, for when he walks away.

#2281 3 years ago

my response from Backerkit was vague and almost supported Paperf#ck - didn't look into anything = lazy and probably making more money by doing the work.

Boy this sounds like a "Popadiuk" scam - keep giving money........

#2282 3 years ago

Are we sure that he will ship? Will it take another four yrs? “Oh sorry due to covid and syphillis my interns wont be able to ship”......

#2283 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

You can't just quote media mail though.
    Look at the majority of the people complaining about $80-$100+ shipping costs... they didn't just order the book.
    Plus media mail is domestic only...

I checked international with 6 lbs and shipping with USPS or UPS was 1/2 to 1/3 what he's charging. Total shakedown.

#2284 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I checked international with 6 lbs and shipping with USPS or UPS was 1/2 to 1/3 what he's charging. Total shakedown.

What does a fulfillment company charge to store, kit, and ship all the packages including supplies? Not making excuses, but he ain't lifting a finger.

#2285 3 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

What does a fulfillment company charge to store, kit, and ship all the packages including supplies? Not making excuses, but he ain't lifting a finger.

Depends on the company, but for such a small job (444 customers is a SMALL job), it's probably not cheap. He should be knocking this out himself in a few days to get it done. But even with a fulfillment company, he's easily pulling in another 30% profit for himself on this shipping scam. Or, he's a total moron and doesn't know how shipping works. Take your pick.

#2286 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I'm not saying his numbers are good - I'm saying you can't use the examples (in the reply i quoted) to compare with.

#2287 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

he's a total moron and doesn't know how shipping works.

Joe walks in the the fulfillment company in Long Beach with his intern. Sales guys licks his chops. The end.

#2288 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I'm not saying his numbers are good - I'm saying you can't use the examples (in the reply i quoted) to compare with.

A page or two back I ran the weight and numbers for international through our shipping terminal and came up with like $35 UPS and $60 USPS international, so about half to a quarter of what he's quoting.

#2289 3 years ago

more comes out - one of the guys has a printing company but you design and produce a book you can't print = DUMB

screen-capture-22 (resized).pngscreen-capture-22 (resized).png
    #2290 3 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

more comes out - one of the guys has a printing company but you design and produce a book you can't print = DUMB
    [quoted image]

Ah here we go, we are getting tissue paper Pinball Adventures all over again.
    lies (resized).JPGlies (resized).JPG

#2291 3 years ago

Ahh yes, I have learned about accountability on Kickstarter from their very thoughtful correspondence---there is none, and none is required. Perfect!

#2292 3 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Ah here we go, we are getting tissue paper Pinball Adventures all over again.
    [quoted image]

TBH, the first images/videos of the finished product looked a little underwhelming to me - not Pinball Adventures bad, but not $640AUD coffee table book good either.

#2293 3 years ago

I wonder if we could propose to Paperflock that if we so choose we can request a refund. However they are not obligated to give out a refund because they technically can deliver the reward to backers. However if Paperflock wants to sell your book on your behalf then give you a refund would that work?

#2294 3 years ago

If you reached out to Kickstarter they will ask you to do a survey - this was my feedback and I think Kickstarter needs to make these companies more accountable and ban them from Kickstarter for life as a starter.

"Up to recently I loved kickstarter and supported quite a few projects but after the recent lack of accountability and support - you have lost a backer for other projects. You need to ensure a bit more accountability: eg for a book
    - is it a certain size and thickness and weight
    - postage
    then if a project makes it bigger they are accountable for the difference as they allowed scope creep.
    But in Kickstarter collecting their portion and not make the designer accountable in some areas is appalling. This is the 2nd failed pinball kickstarter and again not fully delivered.
    These companies and key people should be banned from kickstarter for the rest of the days so it ensures some accountability."

#2295 3 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

I wonder if we could propose to Paperflock that if we so choose we can request a refund. However they are not obligated to give out a refund because they technically can deliver the reward to backers. However if Paperflock wants to sell your book on your behalf then give you a refund would that work?

he just has to look at Jack Dangers Facebook as lots of people are ready to through money at it.

I would be happy for my $55USD refund for the book and walk away.

#2296 3 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Only goes up to 2011 but it's packed with detailed info[quoted image]

those... are not great examples of quality books...

#2297 3 years ago

It's a big win for the Paperf*ck-ups if they refund the paltry $55 we pledged--they can sell them for what Joe says they are now worth, 90 bucks, and take another vacation!

#2298 3 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Only goes up to 2011 but it's packed with detailed info[quoted image]

I bought this about seven years ago, and love it. I want to get the previous volume too.

#2299 3 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

those... are not great examples of quality books...

Which pinball themed books do you like better and why?

#2300 3 years ago

I've heard that the only pinball book which is "critically acclaimed" is PINBALL, by Santiago Ciuffo.

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 60.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter/page/46?hl=ds_nadine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.