Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 86 days ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 60.
    #2151 3 years ago

My email to Paperflock

"Here is my response:

I have 2 questions.

Could you please provide the quote you received for shipping which can possibly justify you charging $85 for a book originally estimated at costing just $13? 

Even with inflation and doubling of weight that cost is simply ludicrous. 

I regularly ship to my sister in the US, and receive parcels from her. NEVER has a cost even approached what you are proposing, for parcels weighing more - and larger.

My previous job was shipping aircraft parts around the world priority, we only charged our customers, airlines, £25 per parcel for next day delivery anywhere in the world!

2nd question, when are you intending on shipping these? I ask this specifically because you state that we can change our address between now and when you are ready to ship.

You've already said you are ready to ship immediately. 

What is going on?

For a project which has been so poorly managed from start to finish, and taken over 4 years to reach a point when you are asking for more double the original I find the sheer gall to charge $85 

I await your response before progressing further"

#2152 3 years ago

via the Questions link in the email...

Screenshot_20201106-203311~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20201106-203311~2 (resized).png

Also it's quoting me $61.55 USD to ship to Canada for the $55 book....

#2153 3 years ago

I pledged $325. Shipping is $48. I went for it. Might as well see this thing through.

#2154 3 years ago

I have also emailed to Paperflock via KS at my disappointment and request an explanation and review of the shipping costs to Australia.

#2155 3 years ago

Perhaps the extra shipping charges are to help fund Joe’s next pinball book that he thinks you all want from the survey results!

#2156 3 years ago

Ok, this is a joke......

54F5E833-9093-49F3-B402-D22854B573DC (resized).jpeg54F5E833-9093-49F3-B402-D22854B573DC (resized).jpeg
    #2157 3 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

I pledged $325. Shipping is $48. I went for it. Might as well see this thing through.

What was the $325 pledge level?

#2158 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

What was the $325 pledge level?

IDK, I think a special cover on the book signed by everyone. A jacket. A shirt. A zombie yeti poster. Idk what else.

#2159 3 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

IDK, I think a special cover on the book signed by everyone. A jacket. A shirt. A zombie yeti poster. Idk what else.

Oh yeh, I think it was the jacket and stuff. Hate to think what would have made shipping to Oz.

Edit: only $195 usd shipping - that’s $278 Aud. Nice.

F35474C6-263E-40FD-8DD7-8FCA9402F72B (resized).jpegF35474C6-263E-40FD-8DD7-8FCA9402F72B (resized).jpeg
    #2160 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Oh yeh, I think it was the jacket and stuff. Hate to think what would have made shipping to Oz.
    Edit: only $195 usd shipping - that’s $278 Aud. Nice.[quoted image]

Wow!

#2161 3 years ago

I haven't got my survey but this is crap - he probably fleece us for more money and may still not deliver

where is he shipping from?

maybe someone near him could pick it all up and we pay that person to pack and ship - refuse to give Joe any more money.

This is what I sent him in 2016.

screen-capture-19 (resized).pngscreen-capture-19 (resized).png
    #2162 3 years ago

He only charges $3.00 for domestic shipping of those "Fcuk 2020" lapel pins he's selling.

https://fuckthisyear.bigcartel.com/

#2163 3 years ago

Yeah my Eve Online books I recently got was like way cheaper for shipping from NJ to MA and that was 2 heavy books. Also cheaper was Fireball Island and all it's expansions. I think the Street Fighter board game might be $125 because I got literally everything but it's literally this massive thing.

I tried to report Dameon to Paperflock over trying to obtain private sensitive data off his backers. I don't think they investigated because he never took that website down.

#2164 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinball-1:

$23 for domestic shipping?! Eff that, he can keep it. That's more than even a LARGE USPS flat rate box (which are free), not to mention this is Media mail.

Media Mail, coast to coast US shipping is $3.95 for a 3 pound box 12" x 10" x 5". Let's generously add $2 for the box (it's really less than $1) and $5 for handling. That's $11, generously. So, obviously they're using the shipping as a secondary profit center - $12 pure profit in your case alone.

Ugly.

#2165 3 years ago
    Quoted from Backyardace:

Perhaps the extra shipping charges are to help fund Joe’s next pinball book that he thinks you all want from the survey results!

Or maybe it's for his Hep C treatment from all the carousing. That's like $40-95k to get cured.

#2166 3 years ago
    Quoted from ausretrogamer:

f we forfeit the book, he’ll dump it on Amazon for $90 and I bet he’ll sell them all. Hate to say it, He is in a win win position.

I dunno, most of the people that would want this book pledged for it. And let’s be honest it doesn’t exactly look great, looks like Joe spent all these years gluing game flyers together to make a book.

$90 on Amazon this thing sits and collects dust at his moms house! Far better pinball books out there, if everyone tells Joe to ram his shipping quotes he’s stuck with a shit tonne of books and most importantly doesn’t get anymore money out of this community!

#2167 3 years ago

444 copies isn't much at all to ship out. If he's overcharging shipping by $12 on each one (and it seems like it's a lot more the more you got), that's $5000+ pure profit, minimum, on shipping alone.

#2169 3 years ago

I put in a kickstarter complaint as well went to backerkit and notified them.

I also went to kickstarter and checked out a few new book projects and postage varied $19 to $40 for similar size / weight (even 2 of one book to get to a similar weight) not $85

Joe and crew are scamming us

I would rather him write my name in big letters on the index so it is already used and can't be onsold.

#2170 3 years ago

Is there an exclusivity clause for backers or he can sell as many copies he wants afterwards?
    Count me as interested, but not at the price the backers have to pay including shipping.

#2172 3 years ago

Hi friends,

here are shipping charge to France

I think they are dreaming eyes wide open

ship charge (resized).JPGship charge (resized).JPG
    #2173 3 years ago

Why do people think it’s cool to fleece pinball folks. PaperFlock are nothing but scammers now. My blood pressure has skyrocketed since receiving the backerkit email. Hate everything about this Kickstarter project.

#2174 3 years ago

Well, look on the bright side gang, at least you all have the opportunity to be mistreated again on shipping by Joe...like a total dumbass I paid this fellow directly through PayPal as the Kickstarter had just closed when I learned of this project...so I’m not even being given the opportunity to consider paying this outrageous price for shipping, just totally ignored. Joe appears to have literally just made off with my money entirely...

#2175 3 years ago

Why does it list these estimates on the kickstarter page?

Shipping will be charged after the Kickstarter ends based on actual shipping costs and is collected via Backerkit. This allows us to charge shipping fairly for all backers and avoid a 'one size fits all' mentality to shipping.

Below are shipping estimates for the book (estimated to be around 2lbs). These are just estimates. Costs may rise due to weight increase as more items are unlocked via stretch goals and add-on purchases you choose. This will be calculated by Backerkit after backer surveys are turned in.

USA - $13

EU (including UK) - $17.00

Canada - $17

AU - $19

Mexico - $19

Most other countries - $19

#2176 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

He only charges $3.00 for domestic shipping of those "Fcuk 2020" lapel pins he's selling.
    https://fuckthisyear.bigcartel.com/

Exactly. He knows he’s got us by the short and curlies. We have no choice but to pay these obscene shipping rates.

#2177 3 years ago

Got an automated response saying that they're closed on the 3rd, due to the election, they'll respond on their return on the 4th. This came through on the 6th.

Maybe the delay is that joe has been tasked with ballot counting, that would explain 2 f@%k ups.

#2178 3 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

where is he shipping from?

maybe someone near him could pick it all up and we pay that person to pack and ship - refuse to give Joe any more money.

If someone was able/willing to buy the whole stock off Paperflock and deal with addons, distribution additional books etc at realistic prices it would be an opportunity to make a profit.

Would be nice if Stern stepped in and took over now, as no doubt these will end up on the Stern store soon enough.

#2179 3 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisBardon:

I was curious, so I went back and looked, and here's what he listed in the campaign:

I wonder if anyone at Stern knows about this and would intervene? If it makes the company look bad...

Selling $1000 toppers, do you really think they care? GTFOH

#2180 3 years ago

Based on my level of support I'm getting a tshirt. Not sure where I can wear it.

1. If I wear it in general public will people think I'm a cancer survivor?
    2. If I wear it to pinball events will people think I'm a sucker?

Probably use it to clean playfields...

#2181 3 years ago
    Quoted from kidchrisso:

Selling $1000 toppers, do you really think they care? GTFOH

Exactly. I wasn't surprised at all at the shipping increase. Again, there is no accountability in this hobby. Just a few examples:

1. Continued playfiled issues that are not resolved, but let's give Mirco, JJP, Stern a free pass. Buy, buy, buy.
    2. Shipping from some vendors is a complete fleecing. Example, $15.00 shipping for a sticker or side art for your machine.
    3. Required $1000.00 deposit for new pinball machine, and yet after numerous emails, phone calls, no response or communication about when the game will ship or defects with the playfield.

#2182 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Media Mail, coast to coast US shipping is $3.95 for a 3 pound box 12" x 10" x 5". Let's generously add $2 for the box (it's really less than $1) and $5 for handling. That's $11, generously. So, obviously they're using the shipping as a secondary profit center - $12 pure profit in your case alone.

book is apparently 4.5 pounds now

#2183 3 years ago

Hello Folks, I've sent in this question and am awaiting a reply but wondering if anyone might know the answer. I pledged $110 to get two of the $55 rewards which is basically the Pro book. The backerkit site doesn't provide me that option but rather gives me $55 in credit. Just wondering if someone else might of asked and was able to get this accomplished? Thanks

#2184 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Exactly. He knows he’s got us by the short and curlies. We have no choice but to pay these obscene shipping rates.

Yeah, we do, although it isn't a great option. I wrote off the initial investment a long time ago and I refuse to give these assh@les any more of my money. If we win the shipping cost battle I'll pay for actual shipping, but I'm not funding Joe's next vacation.

#2185 3 years ago

Man I feel bad for you guys getting charged unfair prices on shipping. I'm in the USA so I was going to get one. I don't know if I can support these people if they are truly trying to rip people off. This is a straight Deebo move, that's my bike punk!

#2186 3 years ago

Is it simply the case that KS money is as good as gone after you pledge? There’s no way to get a refund if you choose to back out?

#2187 3 years ago

I did pay because I'm sick of this thing being a thing in my life.

#2188 3 years ago
    Quoted from Durzel:

Is it simply the case that KS money is as good as gone after you pledge? There’s no way to get a refund if you choose to back out?

Yup, Kickstarter bills itself as a pledge, not a preorder. They don't guarantee anything, and are pretty clear about not having recourse for campaigns that fail to deliver. That being said, it can't hurt to reach out and say that they're trying to overcharge for shipping, but not sure what it'll do. I did with the link earlier in the thread-see if anything comes of that.

#2189 3 years ago

- I sent a message to kickstarter about the postage
    - I sent a message to backerkit about postage
    - and I posted my review about Paperflock and it was approved - may as well give them something that stays with them.
    https://www.bizapedia.com/ca/paperflock-inc.html

I am not paying anything until I get some answers, and hell I wouldn't be surprised if part of the overcharge is for Stern.

I would love to know the dimensions of the book to then double check the postage.

#2190 3 years ago

here is the backer list (by country) and you start to get an idea of what he is screwing everyone over by

- just for Australia - 50 people x $85 = $4250 just in inflated postage

- or if you look at all the top countries outside of the USA - 151 x 85 averaged = $12835 (which I am sure there are others like 1 in Japan etc)

Paperflock is a THIEF

screen-capture-21 (resized).pngscreen-capture-21 (resized).png

#2191 3 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

book is apparently 4.5 pounds now

5 pounds shipped coast to coast via media mail is $4.92.

#2192 3 years ago

Well...someone called the shot, Kickstarter sent me a nice response to my complaint stating that I should contact their "creator" to dispute any issues, as they would not involve themselves. My response to Kickstarter was not so polite. Never again will I involve myself with anything remotely relating to their bulls!t company, as their "creators" have carte blanche to do whatever the hell they want.

#2193 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

Well...someone called the shot, Kickstarter sent me a nice response to my complaint stating that I should contact their "creator" to dispute any issues, as they would not involve themselves. My response to Kickstarter was not so polite. Never again will I involve myself with anything remotely relating to their bulls!t company, as their "creators" have carte blanche to do whatever the hell they want.

How much are they charging you shipping?

#2194 3 years ago
    Quoted from RebelGuitars:

How much are they charging you shipping?

A fleecing amount!

#2195 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I did pay because I'm sick of this thing being a thing in my life.

same, but also I'm still pretty sure I'll like the book

#2196 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Ok, this is a joke......[quoted image]

I'm not one to publicly complain very quickly. But I agree with all of you that this is quite ridiculous.

The original shipping estimate on their site was $17. And now Paperflock expect me to pay $125 for shipping for a book, a shirt and a poster. That sure feels like a rip-off. And that after a 4 year wait. For a book. Wow.

Considering the additional import duties that I will be charged here in the Netherlands, my total will come to roughly $455. Again, that's just a book, a shirt and a poster. I'm seriously considering writing this thing off, it's just not worth that kind of money.

I feel awful for all folks who got involved in this Kickstarter through my sticky on Pinside. Had I known what a #$% this would be...

#2197 3 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I'm not one to publicly complain very quickly. But I agree with all of you that this is quite ridiculous.
    The original shipping estimate on their site was $17. And now Paperflock expect me to pay $125 for shipping for a book, a shirt and a poster. That sure feels like a rip-off. And that after a 4 year wait. For a book. Wow.
    Considering the additional import duties that I will be charged here in the Netherlands, my total will come to roughly $455. Again, that's just a book, a shirt and a poster. I'm seriously considering writing this thing off, it's just not worth that kind of money.
    I feel awful for all folks who got involved in this Kickstarter through my sticky on Pinside. Had I known what a #$% this would be...

Honestly, the sticky was justified. Stern got sucked in, you got sucked in, we all got sucked in. No fault at all to anyone except Paperf*ck.

I’m also starting to wonder if it’s worth throwing more money at this thing - it’s going to be $650 AUD landed!!!!!!

#2198 3 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

UPS Worldwide Saver 2 day service for 6lbs from CA to Netherlands is $56.03.
    UPS Standard (slow) for 6 lbs to the Netherlands is $30.41

Impossible to see these massive shipping charge increases as anything but a surprise last-minute shakedown.

Where are these books shipping from? Does Paperflock allow pickup?

#2199 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Does Paperflock allow pickup?

I have some time on my hands. I’ll pick them all up and ship them myself if someone can track him down.

#2200 3 years ago

The email account I used to subscribe to the kickstarter campaign (I "ordered"' two copies) has been inactivated since then. I therefore did not receive any update - not Paperflock's fault-, and I was considering sending an email to them.

Until I saw the comments on the shipping cost.

I am not going to comment any further, or I would have to moderate my own post.
    Guess you know my feelings about this now (closest matching emoji is this one - just use a different finger)

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 60.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter/page/44?hl=nowakster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.