Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 60.
    #2001 3 years ago

I wonder what about the extra incentives? I guess I should just forget about them and be happy a book shows up.

#2002 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Looks like maybe 10” x13” or so...

that would be very pricey to produce. I collect a lot of artbooks and when you go back 10"x10" the price really starts going up.
    I'd guess 8"x10"

#2004 3 years ago

The cynic in me is expecting a bunch of shipping related excuses in the coming months.

#2005 3 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

that would be very pricey to produce. I collect a lot of artbooks and when you go back 10"x10" the price really starts going up.
    I'd guess 8"x10"

The signature page show sure makes it look on that smaller size..

#2006 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

The cynic in me is expecting a bunch of shipping related excuses in the coming months.

Sprinkled with the odd COVID excuse. Maybe a Covid related shipping problem.

#2007 3 years ago

I hope Deadflip got footage of the John Trudeau signing!

#2008 3 years ago

If that is a standard sharpie, the book is about 9.6" tall x 9.9" wide. That means it's a middle size book, not tiny. A mouse pad is ~9.5" wide, so imagine if your mouse pad was square. (maybe larger if the sharpie is further away, but it is in focus, so probably not significantly larger than my pixel calculation)

Sharpie = 11.4mm thick

------------------------------
    HEIGHT CALC (first image)
    17x12 =20.81 diagonal pixels sharpie
    446x25 = 446.7 diagonal pixels book height

11.4 H
    --- x -----
    20.81 446.7

244.71mm tall =9.63 inches

WIDTH CALC (second image)
    32x468 = 469.1 diagonal pixels tall
    511x12 = 511.14 diagonal pixels wide

9.63 W
    --- x ----
    496.1 511.14

9.92" wide

height 9.6 (resized).jpgheight 9.6 (resized).jpg
    width calc (resized).jpgwidth calc (resized).jpg

#2009 3 years ago
    Quoted from Neal_W:

Sharpie = 11.4mm thick
    HEIGHT CALC (first image)
    17x12 =20.81 diagonal pixels sharpie
    446x25 = 446.7 diagonal pixels book height
    11.4 H
    --- x -----
    20.81 446.7
    244.71mm tall =9.63 inches
    WIDTH CALC (second image)
    32x468 = 469.1 diagonal pixels tall
    511x12 = 511.14 diagonal pixels wide
    9.63 W
    --- x ----
    496.1 511.14
    9.92" wide

THANK YOU! I love when a post shows evidence to support their conclusion.

#2010 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

THANK YOU! I love when a post shows evidence to support their conclusion.

Best not head over to the Covid thread then

2 weeks later
    #2011 3 years ago

For those in the Deeproot vs Paperflock RELEASE pool, looks like a winner won't be crowned today...

#2012 3 years ago

I’m a photographer.
    I’m putting together a coffee table/photo book of pinball images shot in 2019–2020 (and also a book about punk rock in the 90s)
    The printing costs are astronomical in small quantities.
    Unless I order 1000 copies, there is no way I can produce a satisfying product that isn’t over $100 - to print.

Now it’s been suggested I do a Kickstarter.

That feels weird to me because it’s like asking people to overpay (over, overpaying comes with perks!) For what is essentially a preorder.

The work is amazing. It’s different in an artistic polished, gritty way.

The advantage to Kickstarter is, if funded, I would have at least enough to pay the printing bill. Making a minimum (750–1000) reduces cost dramatically (offset printing vs. laser).

There could be multiple formats (a 12” x 12” Hardback would be radical). Special edits. Inclusion of framable prints. A post-Covid bespoke shooting session. Etc.

Shooting was an interesting journey and a fun time. It was still hundreds of hours and thousands in equipment to execute. Plus, editing, layout and spreading the word are endless love.

Stern has archives. Interesting. I have Robert Frank style documentary photography that’s been described as ‘dope’.

I ask this here since there are apparently 40 pages already discussing this Avenue.

I did do a ‘teaser ‘zine’ which sold out hella fast. At $25 it ended up covering an equipment repair. Nice to have that camera back but a man’s gotta eat too.

17E6D2EB-CF3F-4BC4-A0A8-32C30CACE3F0 (resized).jpeg17E6D2EB-CF3F-4BC4-A0A8-32C30CACE3F0 (resized).jpeg
    #2013 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Exactly. I can get them from CHINA with that lead time, at a cost of less than $1/book.

I looked into a couple Chinese publishers. Has anyone used one? The things that could go wrong....

Any suggestions are welcome. I’m looking to print something ambitious.

F78737D7-801B-459C-A809-79ACE17078F9 (resized).jpegF78737D7-801B-459C-A809-79ACE17078F9 (resized).jpeg
    #2014 3 years ago
    Quoted from desiArnez:

Even with Stern backing this book they only pre-sold 444 copies on Kickstarter. And the pre-order well is pretty poisoned now.

I published a book last year (my memoirs). I gave it a 10 year sales goal. Slow and steady.

#2015 3 years ago
    Quoted from desiArnez:

The printing costs are astronomical in small quantities.
    Unless I order 1000 copies, there is no way I can produce a satisfying product that isn’t over $100 - to print.

you could compromise and use a print-on-demand service like Blurb.
    I really like the two Sean Newton books I got from there https://www.blurb.com/b/3363814-grails.
    Failing that, take out a loan. Interest rates are rock bottom, and you're looking at less than $10k. If you have an awesome book ready to go, figure out how many you'll need to sell at what price point. If the books is great you'll sell a bunch of copies immediately through pinside.

#2016 3 years ago

I’ll buy one, imagine you pay for a book and actually receive it in a timely manner.

#2017 3 years ago
    Quoted from desiArnez:

I ask this here since there are apparently 40 pages already discussing this Avenue.

I would suggest reading the 40 pages - they don't exactly cast Kickstarter projects in a positive light.

#2018 3 years ago

The market for $100+ books is tiny. Schiffer has published several pinball books. I’d try asking for advice from someone with relevant experience. https://www.schifferbooks.com/

#2019 3 years ago

Any book I'd be interested in would have to be historically based. Want a good idea? I'd definitely buy a book about classic Sterns.

Unless it's done through Kickstarter, that's a Nonstarter, for me. Was burned already on another book that was promised in 6 months and is going on 3 years now...

#2020 3 years ago

I'm waiting for someone to make archival tomes covering the history of:
    Gottlieb
    Chicago Coin
    Sega arcade machines pre 1980
    and after that, many other classic companies, like Keeney, Genco, etc...

If you want to do an photography-focused book, the most recent example was this book by Santiago Ciuffo: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-santiago-ciuffo-new-book-now-available
    Maybe he will have advise for you?

#2021 3 years ago
    Quoted from desiArnez:

I looked into a couple Chinese publishers. Has anyone used one? The things that could go wrong....
    [quoted image]

For a small project like this, China is the only way to go. The only thing you have to watch out for is the paper stock and inks they use. Make sure you get a sample before your run. Most of them are printing digitally now so this is much more practical than when it was all offset press. Also, make sure you go hardcover bound for durability. Perfect bound seems attractive, but they are anything but perfect long term. Pages tend to fall out over time in my experience.

The worst part about China is arranging the shipping, having a broker you trust to get them through customs, and the associated fees. But even with all that, at QTY 1000, embossed hardcover (small emboss, don't go crazy) with a dust jacket you'd still be in the <$5 unit range (probably like $3.50-$4) for printing/shipping.

#2022 3 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Gottlieb
    Chicago Coin

Genco and Chicago Coin should be done as one book; the same family was involved in both. Maybe include Stern Electronics in there, too.

Sega seems like a challenge. There are several corporate entities and several claimed founding dates. An author might have to take the Steven Kent approach (aka the "legal deposition" approach) and just get statements from all the parties, without trying to reconcile them into a single narrative.
    .................David Marston

#2023 3 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Gottlieb
    Chicago Coin

Capcom. At least the pinball division.

Years back there was work on two ? different books. No word since.

LTG : )

#2024 3 years ago

Is anyone gonna fill out the new survey JoeDP just sent around? Why should we have to fill out some survey before our long ago paid for books ship? I'm guessing we'll get a shipping notice via email either way. You have already screwed this up enough, Joe, you got one last chance to buy back just a few good vibrations--don't blow it (again).

#2025 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

Is anyone gonna fill out the new survey JoeDP just sent around? I'm guessing we'll get a shipping notice via email either way.

Not going to bother. It's a "market research" survey.

They still owe me an LE book + gifts, so it's on them to figure out how to get that to me.

#2026 3 years ago

First question is whether or not you'd buy another book from them.

Yikes.

#2027 3 years ago

what about the one if you'd buy an extended version of the book?

#2028 3 years ago
    Quoted from desiArnez:

I’m a photographer.
    I’m putting together a coffee table/photo book of pinball images shot in 2019–2020

Make sure you pay Steve Young for any Gottlieb game in your images.

#2029 3 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

"Good news guys, a lot of you are requesting an extended version of this book so we decided..."

#2030 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

"Good news guys, a lot of you are requesting an extended version of this book so we decided..."

they better not,

I filled in the survey for my address I just hope the shipping is reasonable and not overcharged to cover their poor delivery

did anyone ever get their digital pack?

#2031 3 years ago

I’m scared if I fill out the questionnaire honestly they’ll send me a book from the 2nds pile.

#2032 3 years ago

Do the books that Slash signed look larger than the earlier pics?

#2033 3 years ago

I think Joe should have a drawing from the returned surveys--winner gets to tag along on the next exotic getaway with the interns.

#2034 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

Do the books that Slash signed look larger than the earlier pics?

Either that or Slash is built like a typical guitar hero, 5-6 and 145 lbs.--makes the 8x10 book look huge.

#2035 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

Is anyone gonna fill out the new survey JoeDP just sent around? Why should we have to fill out some survey before our long ago paid for books ship? I'm guessing we'll get a shipping notice via email either way. You have already screwed this up enough, Joe, you got one last chance to buy back just a few good vibrations--don't blow it (again).

Quoted from frolic:

Not going to bother. It's a "market research" survey.
    They still owe me an LE book + gifts, so it's on them to figure out how to get that to me.

The back kit questionnaire isn't at all what you described. It's used to add on anything you may want in addition to your pledge, fill out a new address, etc. This is standard for any of these backer projects.

#2036 3 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

The back kit questionnaire isn't at all what you described. It's used to add on anything you may want in addition to your pledge, fill out a new address, etc. This is standard for any of these backer projects.

Nothing has been standard about this backer project.

#2037 3 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

Again your avatar is made for this thread.

#2038 3 years ago

BTW, not sure why we would have to pay for shipping when it was already factored in the pledge at the time. No f**king way will I be re-paying for shipping!

#2039 3 years ago
    Quoted from ausretrogamer:

BTW, not sure why we would have to pay for shipping when it was already factored in the pledge at the time. No f**king way will I be re-paying for shipping!

Probably because they are out of money with thousands of books to ship.

But using media mail, these are what, like $3 to ship? If they haven't got the scratch left for that, yikes.

#2040 3 years ago

Was it already factored into the pledge? Actually, I just looked at the Kickstarter, and in the FAQ it states we’d have to pay for shipping. It’s kind of upsetting though, under the circumstances. It’s something I’m going to have to think about.

#2041 3 years ago

Darn it, it's another kick in the teeth re: shipping. But thank you for making me login to KS to check my pledge, I totally forgot about the t-shirt, poster and the digital wallpaper pack. I'd be stunned if they honour everything (as they should)!

#2042 3 years ago

Correction, just checked, our pledge definitely had postage already factored into it and been paid for.

#2043 3 years ago

What was the point of that survery? Do they have no idea how backers view this project?

#2044 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

What was the point of that survery? Do they have no idea how backers view this project?

They wanted to see if we were still suckers for an extended edition.

#2045 3 years ago

They are out of money.

Joe clearly has very little business acumen.

#2046 3 years ago

Correction, just checked, our pledge definitely had postage already factored into it and been paid for.

Does it? I logged in, it says I paid $125 (for an LE book). Can't find any info about shipping costs.

The LE package is supposed to include a t-shirt and poster as well though and we haven't seen or heard anything about any of those.

#2047 3 years ago

Wow, after all this drama I can’t believe they are trying to do an up sell! How about just send us what we paid for and hope it pleasantly surprises everyone before talking about the next big project...

#2048 3 years ago

I wonder how many of them will end up on ebay?

#2049 3 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I wonder how many of them will end up on ebay?

I wonder how many of them will actually be delivered. Until I've got my book in my hand I've got no confidence it will happen.

#2050 3 years ago

last time I bought a book on kickstarter my pledge did not include the shipping iirc.... but it's been a while. I kind of ignored KS after https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49692983

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 60.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter/page/41?hl=ausretrogamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.