Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 86 days ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 60.
    #1901 4 years ago

I'd be happy to take a print your own pdf.

Can't believe paperflock doesn't apologize. Apparently they feel no obligation to be accountable, for having made a promise and accepted money. Its shameful.

2 weeks later
    #1902 3 years ago

How was the book? I remember reading last year that it would be out by the end of the year for sure.

#1903 3 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

How was the book? I remember reading last year that it would be out by the end of the year for sure.

well...they did include the transparent pages everyone kept clamoring for...

#1904 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

well...they did include the transparent pages everyone kept clamoring for...

Made the whole book transparent, apparently. Ink, too.

#1905 3 years ago

Pretty sure Joe DP is just waiting for some more approvals from Stern (except Stern denies any knowledge or involvement with his book). No worries, Joe--hope the present climate hasn't stopped you and the interns from your endless partying at exotic beachfront locations--I do want to feel I'm getting my monies worth.

#1906 3 years ago

Reports indicate that the authors have saved two sections for the Tron and LOTR Vaults, so just as SOON as they get that information from Stern, they will finally be able to ship!

#1907 3 years ago

rumor also indicates that once they receive the sections for Tron and LotR, they will have 2 sections complete

#1908 3 years ago

We will be lucky to have the book for the 35 anniversary. I paid for a signed edition and I am beginning to wonder if my favorite Stern designers will be retired by the time this is done. Maybe Paper Flock should get signed book plates now.

#1909 3 years ago
    Quoted from Backyardace:

I am beginning to wonder if my favorite Stern designers will be retired by the time this is done.

...putting it nicely.....

#1910 3 years ago

No need to worry everyone, Joe's collector pin {not pinball} business is doing well.

https://tinyurl.com/y8ck69er

#1911 3 years ago

Lol so Trump has basically had his first term in office and then a global pandemic, murder hornets, Tiger King. I mean what else can happen from the start of this book until we get the book? When I went to the KS page I could rate the whole project:

unhappy (resized).JPGunhappy (resized).JPG
    1 week later
    #1912 3 years ago

Received below update:

Hello Kickstarter Backers!

We're very sorry for our lack of updates over the past couple of months. As you can imagine we are trying to figure out our situation the way the rest of the world is, but we have made some good progress!

Last month we completed the book, down to the smallest Photoshop detail! We have had a few test readers and the response has been very positive. We also submitted all 250 pages of the book to Stern for final approval. We are also very excited to let you know that we have also completed the art and design of all of the Kickstarter incentives including t-shirts, jackets, and posters. We are very pleased with the work Zombie Yeti and our other artists have submitted!

Understandably Stern has been shut down during the pandemic, but they are looking at how to open their doors again safely and get production running. We expect to receive final approval from Stern on the completed book this month. Our printer has informed us they are open and ready to begin production of the book, and due to cancellations of other projects, the turnaround time for our book will be much faster! All incentives are ready for production.

Next steps: Once the book is approved by Stern, we will send out our backer surveys where you tell us your current address, t-shirt size, and any other relevant information. Then we start production, including printing the book, and all of the Kickstarter incentives! Once production is complete we will initiate the Backerkit program to help us ship everything to you!

We don't have exact dates yet, but are in a position to move very quickly after we get approval.

We know this has been a long road, but the light at the end is now very bright and near!

Thank you all for your patience, Joe and Dameon, and the Paperflock team

#1913 3 years ago
    0B232313-68AE-4F05-8EA3-0C1B33A06F4D (resized).png0B232313-68AE-4F05-8EA3-0C1B33A06F4D (resized).png3DECE397-030C-432C-9C9D-087BCEB02C85 (resized).png3DECE397-030C-432C-9C9D-087BCEB02C85 (resized).pngCEE06AEE-8CD6-413E-AFBD-2F192E5499AD (resized).pngCEE06AEE-8CD6-413E-AFBD-2F192E5499AD (resized).png
    #1914 3 years ago

Understandably Stern has been shut down during the pandemic, but they are looking at how to open their doors again safely and get production running. We expect to receive final approval from Stern on the completed book this month.

Not sure what the factory has to do with them getting approval. We all know the back office staff are all working (at home).

#1915 3 years ago

Someone is playing loose with the truth. Stern has consistently denied any involvement since this went south, while Joe keeps telling us Stern is holding him up.

#1916 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Not sure what the factory has to do with them getting approval. We all know the back office staff are all working (at home).

Quoted from Billy16:

Someone is playing loose with the truth. Stern has consistently denied any involvement since this went south, while Joe keeps telling us Stern is holding him up.

That's what I thought too, lol! I have asked Gary Stern 2 years ago about the book too FYI.

On another note I find it humorous them showing Aerosmith and thinking "wow it's an old game now with the LCD display graphics at the time".

#1917 3 years ago

I heard that the hold up is due to the fact that stern hasn't released images of TMNT or the next 5 years worth of games because joe changed it to a 40 years of stern book to buy himself another 10 years before he delivers (that and another 10 years of exotic vacations with new interns

#1918 3 years ago

Happy 3-year anniversary, Book Launch.

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 10.54.22 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-05-20 at 10.54.22 AM (resized).png
    #1919 3 years ago
    JoeExotic.jpgJoeExotic.jpg
    #1920 3 years ago

it appears that the code has been cracked explaining the delays. with another 8 years or so on his sentence, we won't be seeing the books for some time, will we?

#1921 3 years ago

Oh hey look one of my other Kickstarters just posted a lengthy update saying the second Eve Online book has gone to print, was started well after this one "started", and showed in a GIF that it actually exists.

https://imgur.com/B9pDFFi

1 month later
    #1922 3 years ago

Chirp Chirp....

#1923 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Chirp Chirp....

No kidding. This is well past ridiculous.

crickets.gifcrickets.gif
    #1924 3 years ago

When you guys receive your book it will all be printed in uv ink so you cant see any thing BUT for $600 you can buy a super cool UV LED from Joe to unlock the book

#1925 3 years ago

I'm sure they're just waiting on Trudeau to get out of prison so he can sign the final copies.

#1926 3 years ago

I think they’re worried about getting a cease and desist letter from Stern.

#1927 3 years ago

isn't joe currently on lock down in some exotic location (with an intern)? maybe that's the reason for the delay

#1928 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Hi Kickstarter Backers,
    We have been very cautious over the past 6 months to not mention dates because we don't want to set up another situation where we state a hopeful date and then not meet it.
    But we are going to do give you a date at the end of this post!
    First, where we are now?
    For the scope of this book we set out to document 90 games, as well as construct a loose narrative about how those games came to be; the journey of Gary Stern's pinball career. When we first talked to Stern and insiders in the pinball community, we understood most of the documentation had been done by the company, and a dedicated fan volunteered their archive of thousands upon thousands of 35mm slides and negatives. We believed our job would largely entail scanning slides, cleaning up images in Photoshop, and uncovering long-lost company documents.
    Well, there was SOME of that, but once we got going we learned the company had not documented their own older games very well, and all those slides and negatives in the photo archive had been stored in a flooded basement and rendered unusable. We had successfully completed the Kickstarter, hired a writer, interviewed game designers and Stern employees, but we suddenly found ourselves without a high quality photo resource. This clearly put us in a very tough place.
    Instead of giving up, we vowed to find these games in the wild and document them ourselves. After all, how hard is it to properly photograph a pinball machine?
    92f555edbb36e97a3ddf29d4c853969b h264 high.jpg?ixlib=rb 2.1.0&mark=https%3a%2f%2fksr static.imgix.net%2frendered play button.png%3fixlib%3drb 2.1
    …well, VERY difficult, as it turns out. Simply locating the machines was the first and very daunting challenge. Only 50 or fewer models were produced of some of these games, made decades ago and scattered to the wind! After the machines were located, we needed to get permission to visit the facilities with a crew and lighting setup and take over a large portion of their space to photograph the machines, disrupting business in some cases. An all-day, 10+ hour shoot might result in the proper documentation of 6-8 machines. So we spent a lot of time photographing these things in the wild, from Chicago to Las Vegas to Los Angeles. Wherever we had to go, we went.
    We have now documented 80 of the 90 games! This was an EPIC feat. As you probably know, most pinball books have maybe one or two photos of a machine, and most of those photos were not taken by book’s creator. And most books don’t begin to approach this many machines! Documenting this much pinball history is a first!
    We aren’t stopping there. In May you told us you would rather have the book be the best it can be, instead of just going to print the way it was. So we are dedicated to making this book the best it can be, which means trying to document ALL of the games in our scope! Thanks to Robert Berk, who owns and organizes the Chicago Expo, we’re on schedule to get a few more this month. After that we be down to 6 undocumented games:
    1. Baywatch
    2. Lost in Space
    3. Striker Xtreme
    4. Sharkey’s Shootout
    5. NBA
    6. NFL
    If you have these games and want to document them (and have your personal game in the book), please get in touch! If not, we do have some material for these games, but not as much as we would like.
    Either way, our pledge to you is that we will have this book done before the end of this year! No matter what! We know you have waited. We know it has been a long road, (believe us, we’ve been on that road, too)! And we know you want and deserve a great book. So we pledge to make this book amazing and get it done before the end of the year!
    Please let us know if you own any of the six games above!
    Thank you all for all your support,
    Dameon and Joe, and the Paperflock Team

"Either way, our pledge to you is that we will have this book done before the end of this year! No matter what!"

LOL

#1929 3 years ago

Every time I've forgotten about this stupid deal someone makes a new post reminding me that the stupid book is still DOA.

#1930 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

I think they’re worried about getting a cease and desist letter from Stern.

They are more worried about a publish and print letter from Stern.

#1931 3 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

When you guys receive your book it will all be printed in uv ink so you cant see any thing BUT for $600 you can buy a super cool UV LED from Joe to unlock the book

Can you imagine, I can see Joe’s post now “sorry for the delays everyone, making UV kits, is hard”.

#1932 3 years ago

This is so unbelievable. I am fairly new to this hobby and already know two people who have a Baywatch. How, after years of this book's development, can there be Stern titles that are undocumented??

A different thread recently emerged about BBB and Gene Cunningham, and more than 100 photos have been contributed. Yet Sharkey's Shootout is undocumented?

#1933 3 years ago

It’s simple! We will be receiving a 30th anniversary book on Stern’s 35th anniversary! It will be like a time capsule. Plus, it will be a bargain since you paid for it 5 year’s earlier when your money went farther. It’s just a matter of perspective.

#1934 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dan1733:

This is so unbelievable. I am fairly new to this hobby and already know two people who have a Baywatch. How, after years of this book's development, can there be Stern titles that are undocumented??
    A different thread recently emerged about BBB and Gene Cunningham, and more than 100 photos have been contributed. Yet Sharkey's Shootout is undocumented?

Yeah...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter/page/35#post-5270597

#1935 3 years ago

I can’t wait for this book. Must be getting close now.....

#1936 3 years ago

Look what I found today. It is hard to say this project didn’t have the support and backing of Stern.

423128F1-AC69-4BAD-9529-EC830738708D (resized).jpeg423128F1-AC69-4BAD-9529-EC830738708D (resized).jpegE0FBC8BC-E86A-4843-AF96-6860B83F7955 (resized).jpegE0FBC8BC-E86A-4843-AF96-6860B83F7955 (resized).jpeg
    #1937 3 years ago

This was their May 18, 2020 update, exactly 2 months ago:

Next steps: Once the book is approved by Stern, we will send out our backer surveys where you tell us your current address, t-shirt size, and any other relevant information. Then we start production, including printing the book, and all of the Kickstarter incentives! Once production is complete we will initiate the Backerkit program to help us ship everything to you!

According to their last update, the ball is with Stern. I'm guessing Stern would say they know nothing about it, so then what the hell?

#1938 3 years ago

This just in from Stern: "Joe DP? We hardly know the guy!"

#1939 3 years ago

George Gomez mentions that he’s seen the book and it’s coming out.

It’s at about the one hour thirty-four minute mark of the Super Awesome Pinball show episode 12.

#1940 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

It’s at about the one hour thirty-four minute mark of the Super Awesome Pinball show episode 12.

Is that the episode from 2018?

#1941 3 years ago

Just listened. It's at the 2 hour and 20 minute mark, right before the end.

#1942 3 years ago

This just in from Stern: "George Gomez? We hardly know the guy!"

#1943 3 years ago

George "Every two weeks until we getcha there" Gomez?

#1944 3 years ago

Kickstarter
    The Book Has Been Sent to the Printer!
    Aae50412c475c26ec43849b77b504e02 original.png?ixlib=rb 2.1
    Posted by PaperFlock Inc
    Jul 23, 2020
    External link.png?ixlib=rb 2.1
    View on Kickstarter

We are SO excited to tell you that after this long and arduous journey the book is FINALLY complete and has been sent to the printer!

Early this year we thought the book was done and sent out a couple copies for people to test read, then sent it to Stern to fact check and provide final approval.

Little did we know that Gary Stern had not yet read much of the book. When we told him we were going to print, he realized that this is the documentation of his legacy and that if he didn't spend the time to get it right, it would forever be recorded wrong.

So we began a long process of editing the entire book over, this time with the participation of both Gary and George Gomez. Each took deep dives into the text, into their memories, into their photo albums. It took a lot of time, but what we have now is a MUCH more developed story, full of personal details, and we were able to add over a dozen new photos to the history section of the book. Some of those stories that most pinball enthusiasts know are sort of "half-truths", so we are hopefully filling in some of those gaps now.

We are so grateful for everyone's patience through this process. We know the road has been long, but we are almost to the end. The printer has it now and is doing their own review for printing purposes. After it is approved for printing they will set a date for the printing and the shipping, and we will let you know as soon as we find out what those are.

We expect to be updating again in the next 2 weeks!

Thank you again for all of your patience, we are so excited to get to this point!

Dameon, Joe, and the Paperflock team

#1945 3 years ago
    Quoted from Spelunk71:

Translation ..... early December

#1946 3 years ago
    Quoted from Spelunk71:

Kickstarter
    The Book Has Been Sent to the Printer!
    Aae50412c475c26ec43849b77b504e02 original.png?ixlib=rb 2.1
    Posted by PaperFlock Inc
    Jul 23, 2020
    External link.png?ixlib=rb 2.1
    View on Kickstarter
    We are SO excited to tell you that after this long and arduous journey the book is FINALLY complete and has been sent to the printer!
    Early this year we thought the book was done and sent out a couple copies for people to test read, then sent it to Stern to fact check and provide final approval.
    Little did we know that Gary Stern had not yet read much of the book. When we told him we were going to print, he realized that this is the documentation of his legacy and that if he didn't spend the time to get it right, it would forever be recorded wrong.
    So we began a long process of editing the entire book over, this time with the participation of both Gary and George Gomez. Each took deep dives into the text, into their memories, into their photo albums. It took a lot of time, but what we have now is a MUCH more developed story, full of personal details, and we were able to add over a dozen new photos to the history section of the book. Some of those stories that most pinball enthusiasts know are sort of "half-truths", so we are hopefully filling in some of those gaps now.
    We are so grateful for everyone's patience through this process. We know the road has been long, but we are almost to the end. The printer has it now and is doing their own review for printing purposes. After it is approved for printing they will set a date for the printing and the shipping, and we will let you know as soon as we find out what those are.
    Thank you again for all of your patience, we are so excited to get to this point!
    Dameon, Joe, and the Paperflock team

#1947 3 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Translation ..... early December

#1948 3 years ago

Good to know that the delays are Gary’s fault for not reading it. I wonder what he would think of this update?

#1949 3 years ago

If you remove the wordsmithing, here is the update:

After nearly 4 years of excuses, it finally came to Sterns attention that we didn’t know anything about Stern or pinball requiring the entire book to be edited by Stern.

#1950 3 years ago

Damn, threw Gary Stern under the bus.

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 60.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter/page/39 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.