Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 60.
    #1801 4 years ago

I'll just add this:
    paperflock website (resized).jpgpaperflock website (resized).jpg

#1802 4 years ago

Looks like he's gearing up for the Five years of Spooky Pinball book.

13718599_10209195889108236_5226112005640389116_n (resized).jpg13718599_10209195889108236_5226112005640389116_n (resized).jpg
    #1803 4 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I'll just add this:
    [quoted image]

Domain expires in May I’m going to grab it and forward it to this thread.

#1804 4 years ago

Gary Stern give us back OUR money

fd589939983d05182467df49fe1c8b7661024ce4 (resized).jpgfd589939983d05182467df49fe1c8b7661024ce4 (resized).jpg
    #1805 4 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

make sure to create a nice front page on what a sh!t show this has become and then link to this thread. you should also go back and grab all of those vacation photos and put them on the front page indicating what joe's been doing with the money instead of:
    - writing the book
    - laying out the design
    - editing the content

since it's obvious that he doesn't know how to do any of these things (and had we all known this, there's no way this project would have ever gotten close to being funded

#1806 4 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

Nice Idea.

#1807 4 years ago

Well...Joe does know how to show the interns a good time.

#1808 4 years ago
    Quoted from citerne:

Gary Stern give us back OUR money[quoted image]

ribbean.gifribbean.gif
    #1809 4 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Cool! Did you see the Rick Baker book that came out recently?

No I did not.

The Tom Savini book isn't very well done. I have gone through a few pages and it's just.....sigh. Tom really needed to work with an editor because I imagine Tom opened up Microsoft Word and whatever the publisher got they put directly into the book. I understand it's in "his words" but you can do that as well with a good editor and the last autobiography that was done VERY well I read was Scott Ian of Anthrax (who did Black Knight: Sword of Rage music). You just find a good editor and not Punny Factory or whatever that hack calls himself. I'm not super well versed in the secrets of film making so terms like "Morticians Wax" and others I'm constantly Googling and learning as I read. The sentences are sorta off like they don't make sense so you have to re-read it to understand what he is trying to convey (again need an editor). The font size is 20 like I used when I couldn't think of anything to write in a school report. The pictures don't have any context. As an example brothers name (left), second brothers name (middle), etc. It's just literally "mum" or no names attached. So when he is talking about his siblings you don't know who the person he is talking about and it's as if he assumed the reader knows. A lot of the content has double spacing between sentences (another grade school trick in school reports). Grammatically it's simple and "ok" with no typo's. A lot of his stories is about 1-2 paragraphs but most of his stories are about that long in 20 size font. I don't know how you can do that when you were raped when you were 7 and I understand it's a sensitive topic but it's a big revelation and again, need an editor!

Aside from that though the pictures are good and the quality of the book itself is good (wish there was a dust jacket). Scott Ian got a dust jacket on his book and I paid considerably less with autograph and selfie with him.

20448530 (resized).jpg20448530 (resized).jpg
    #1810 4 years ago

Thanks for the info about Tom’s book. I was in a movie with him shot in Florida. Saw him again at the Monroeville Mall (Dawn of the Dead). He was telling his niece and nephew, who were in the scene at the airport, that people were going to ask the same stupid questions all day.

I paid for an autographed Stern book. Starting to wonder if any of the people will still be there if this thing ever comes out.

#1811 4 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

No I did not.
    The Tom Savini book isn't very well done. I have gone through a few pages and it's just.....sigh. Tom really needed to work with an editor because I imagine Tom opened up Microsoft Word and whatever the publisher got they put directly into the book.

Oooof that sucks. Definitely check out the Rick Baker book, it's a world-class production from top to bottom. Ridiculously high quality dual book set in a box, exquisite printing and attention to detail. It has a $250 MSRP but you can get it for like $112 from places: https://www.amazon.com/Rick-Baker-Metamorphosis-1950-1989-1990-2019/dp/1944903437/ (weighing in at 17 pounds, it's price per pound cost makes it a bargain!)
    THAT is a prime example of how a book honours someone's career and legacy. Stern should have aspired for Rick Baker quality.

#1812 4 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Oooof that sucks. Definitely check out the Rick Baker book, it's a world-class production from top to bottom. Ridiculously high quality dual book set in a box, exquisite printing and attention to detail. It has a $250 MSRP but you can get it for like $112 from places: amazon.com link » (weighing in at 17 pounds, it's price per pound cost makes it a bargain!)
    THAT is a prime example of how a book honours someone's career and legacy. Stern should have aspired for Rick Baker quality.

Yeah that book blows away Toms. Speaking of which we haven't got an update in 2 months for this one.

#1813 4 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Yeah that book blows away Toms. Speaking of which we haven't got an update in 2 months for this one.

I was sure it would be under my Christmas tree in 2019 and an Iron Maiden Pro.....none of those things were under my tree....maybe the eventual book will feature Iron Maiden???? Insert crying emoticon here.

#1814 4 years ago

If this book ever hits print, I'd be surprised if this IM is in it.

e7e1a90ed48cb2cee9e173d81e194d9c386515c0 (resized).jpge7e1a90ed48cb2cee9e173d81e194d9c386515c0 (resized).jpg
    #1815 4 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Hi Kickstarter Backers,
    We have been very cautious over the past 6 months to not mention dates because we don't want to set up another situation where we state a hopeful date and then not meet it.
    But we are going to do give you a date at the end of this post!

Either way, our pledge to you is that we will have this book done before the end of this year! No matter what! We know you have waited. We know it has been a long road, (believe us, we’ve been on that road, too)! And we know you want and deserve a great book. So we pledge to make this book amazing and get it done before the end of the year!

Thank you all for all your support,
    Dameon and Joe, and the Paperflock Team

Back in October...

#1816 4 years ago

New email update:

Happy New Year backers! We hope everyone enjoyed their holidays.

In the spirit of kicking-off 2020 the right way we wanted to give you all the good news.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

- Sharkey’s Shootout

- NFL

- NBA

- Lost World

THE FINAL FOUR MACHINES WE NEEDED HAVE ALL BEEN PHOTOGRAPHED!

Enormous gratitude goes out to Vintage Arcade Superstore in Glendale, CA and Video Amusement in San Francisco. Both companies opened their doors this past month and made personal time for us to come set up our photo studio and shoot their machines. Each location gave us unprecedented access, time and space to do these final machines the right way.

We are so incredibly thankful to the pinball community as a whole for everyone's help along the way. Together we have now successfully located and documented all 30 years and 90 games this project set out to cover in fanatical detail like never before!!!!

The final four games' images have been selected, edited and inserted into their respective sections in the book. That means we are now preparing the second full set of all three decades' chapters to be printed next week. In addition, the “Making a Pinball Machine”and story chapters are printed so the complete book proofing meeting can be scheduled with Stern when they return from the Consumer Electronics Show.

While we are on a roll and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel getting bigger and brighter, there’s still plenty to keep us busy. Stern will need time to read, review and circulate the proofs for any last edits and while that happens we'll be finalizing the dust jacket designs and additional backer incentives. Now that we have a final page count, we're finally able to request quotes and paper samples from the printer. When the last round of edits are done and the final proofs approved we will be ready to finish the books!

This is it, into the home stretch. We have you to thank for your incredible patience, support and understanding along the way. Together we have all made this project possible and in turn this book will be a reality. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

Happy New Year!

- Dameon & Joe, and the Paperflock Team

#1817 4 years ago
    Quoted from johnnyutah:

New email update:
    Happy New Year backers! We hope everyone enjoyed their holidays.
    In the spirit of kicking-off 2020 the right way we wanted to give you all the good news.
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!
    - Sharkey’s Shootout
    - NFL
    - NBA
    - Lost World
    THE FINAL FOUR MACHINES WE NEEDED HAVE ALL BEEN PHOTOGRAPHED!
    Enormous gratitude goes out to Vintage Arcade Superstore in Glendale, CA and Video Amusement in San Francisco. Both companies opened their doors this past month and made personal time for us to come set up our photo studio and shoot their machines. Each location gave us unprecedented access, time and space to do these final machines the right way.
    We are so incredibly thankful to the pinball community as a whole for everyone's help along the way. Together we have now successfully located and documented all 30 years and 90 games this project set out to cover in fanatical detail like never before!!!!
    The final four games' images have been selected, edited and inserted into their respective sections in the book. That means we are now preparing the second full set of all three decades' chapters to be printed next week. In addition, the “Making a Pinball Machine”and story chapters are printed so the complete book proofing meeting can be scheduled with Stern when they return from the Consumer Electronics Show.
    While we are on a roll and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel getting bigger and brighter, there’s still plenty to keep us busy. Stern will need time to read, review and circulate the proofs for any last edits and while that happens we'll be finalizing the dust jacket designs and additional backer incentives. Now that we have a final page count, we're finally able to request quotes and paper samples from the printer. When the last round of edits are done and the final proofs approved we will be ready to finish the books!
    This is it, into the home stretch. We have you to thank for your incredible patience, support and understanding along the way. Together we have all made this project possible and in turn this book will be a reality. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!
    Happy New Year!
    - Dameon & Joe, and the Paperflock Team

nailedbook (resized).jpegnailedbook (resized).jpeg
    #1818 4 years ago

I like how back in September they were dedicated to getting the books completed by the end of the year. Now that they've clearly missed that deadline, like every other deadline, they seem perfectly content giving themselves until the end of THIS year to get it done. They don't even acknowledge the missed EOY deadline

#1819 4 years ago

Kickstarter, where money goes to die.

#1820 4 years ago
    Quoted from johnnyutah:

While we are on a roll and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel getting bigger and brighter,

Train's a comin'.

#1821 4 years ago

Anyone want to try some napkin math as to how much cash they are going to have to come up with to fulfill all the pre-orders and incentives?

How about how many additional books they have to sell to cover that nut?

They’ve already disclosed that they have no money left. That’s why they can’t give refunds.

#1822 4 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Anyone want to try some napkin math as to how much cash they are going to have to come up with to fulfill all the pre-orders and incentives?
    How about how many additional books they have to sell to cover that nut?
    They’ve already disclosed that they have no money left. That’s why they can’t give refunds.

Media mail (their most likely shipping method) is around $5. The box is probably 50-75 cents, so that's over $2,500 just for shipping - 5% of what they took in.

#1823 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Media mail (their most likely shipping method) is around $5. The box is probably 50-75 cents, so that's over $2,500 just for shipping - 5% of what they took in.

They have not charged us for shipping yet. That's coming (well, perhaps sometime much later this year), and it will be way more than $5.75.

#1824 4 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

They have not charged us for shipping yet. That's coming (well, perhaps sometime much later this year), and it will be way more than $5.75.

Oh, I thought the pledge included shipping! That's terrible. Well, their cost should be around $6 if they're doing it right. But yeah, if they're charging on TOP of what you already paid, expect $15-20.

#1825 4 years ago

lol, it'll turn into "ebay shipping".

#1826 4 years ago

They should hand deliver each book to personally say sorry for the massive delay.

waynesw (resized).PNGwaynesw (resized).PNG
    #1827 4 years ago

Paperflock can't even pay their web hosting fees and you guys are talking about shipping? lol

#1828 4 years ago

People have waited for stranger things...

pf (resized).pngpf (resized).png
    #1829 4 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Paperflock can't even pay their web hosting fees and you guys are talking about shipping? lol

Only a matter of time before Joe hits us up for shipping. Another source of income so Joe can keep the party goin' on.

#1830 4 years ago

This might sound crazy, but I almost feel if they say we need to pay for shipping, I’ll just let them keep the book.

#1831 4 years ago

I don't have any money invested in this project. But if I did, I would call the two places they say the final shoots took place and verify.

#1832 4 years ago

Does COD still exist? That would be a good option for everyone so they don't have to pay for shipping up front and never see the book

#1833 4 years ago
    Quoted from johnnyutah:

Stern will need time to read, review and circulate the proofs for any last edits

#1834 4 years ago
    pac man (resized).pngpac man (resized).png
    #1835 4 years ago
    OIP (resized).jpgOIP (resized).jpg
    #1836 4 years ago

I'm thinking of making a coffee table book on Pinside's Greatest of All Time.....the Paperflock book, Where's the Code, great podcasters of the Rennaisance.... I will just need $50 wired to my PayPal to get the ball rolling...

#1837 4 years ago

Well...I'm in, as long as that price includes a spiffy cardboard X-mas ornament and you promise to regularly post photos of you and the interns on vacation.

#1838 4 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

Well...I'm in, as long as that price includes a spiffy cardboard X-mas ornament and you promise to regularly post photos of you and the interns on vacation.

Please don't judge my harem too harshly and my loud board shorts.

#1839 4 years ago

No talk of Joe and pooling in this thread? Disclaimer: no Paperflock employees appear in this picture, including Joe.
    pf_pool (resized).jpegpf_pool (resized).jpeg

#1840 4 years ago

Let's just say, THEORETICALLY now, that they complete this book. Have they announced or speculated that after the initial run there could be a second printing available to non-backers through Sterns website or elsewhere?

Sorry if this is a redundant question but searching through 30+ pages with the sometimes dubious search feature was too tedious of a prospect to try and find an answer.

#1841 4 years ago

I have waited so long for this book that my address has changed. Twice. I have no confidence that, if this book really ever exists, that I will even get the copy I paid for.

#1842 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dan1733:

I have waited so long for this book that my address has changed. Twice. I have no confidence that, if this book really ever exists, that I will even get the copy I paid for.

I actually reached out to them to let them know I moved. They replied there will be a survey that goes out to allow me to update my address for shipping. So... hopefully... we will be seeing that before the end of the decade.

#1843 4 years ago
    Quoted from nowakster:

I actually reached out to them to let them know I moved. They replied there will be a survey that goes out to allow me to update my address for shipping. So... hopefully... we will be seeing that before the end of the decade.

I'm confident that this is going to be my year. Coffee table awaits.

#1844 4 years ago

No interns were harmed in making this book.

interns (resized).jpeginterns (resized).jpeg
    #1845 4 years ago

I ended up getting almost every Stern flyer (most I had already, the rest I bought), put them in plastic sleeves, and made a three-ring binder with all the games. Also have a ton of Sega/DE/Bally/Williams/Gottlieb so its a Stern book plus others. Cost way less than this KS book and it's already on my table in the game room

#1846 4 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

No interns were harmed in making this book.[quoted image]

no interns were paid in the making of this book, which is why the book hasn't been completed
    the_internship (resized).jpgthe_internship (resized).jpg

#1847 4 years ago

New backer updates are going out for the Indiegogo documentary "Not For Resale" and I'm getting my Blu-Ray copy this month. This was a 2 year wait:

Meanwhile the "Insert Coin" Kickstarter documentary featuring Roger Sharpe is going to film festivals and was started in '15 and I should get my copy soon: https://vimeo.com/384497920

Where is my 30 Years of Stern book and why have there been no updates?

#1848 4 years ago

The last Kickstarter I have lingering is waiting for my SNES book to arrive https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/contricode/super-nintendo-library-guide-book-of-all-800-snes
    After that I'm out on Kickstarters. I've had mostly good experiences, but then they started union-busting. https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/13/kickstarter-accused-of-union-busting/

#1849 4 years ago

Lol, still waiting on that book.

IMG_20200127_184638 (resized).jpgIMG_20200127_184638 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #1850 4 years ago

Coffee table for sale. Like new. Never been used to support an actual book. $30 ono.

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 60.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter/page/37 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.