Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 85 days ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 60.
    #1701 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

"We're just waiting for Stern to sign off on the copy..." remember that one, from a couple of years ago?

D372D606-6750-4D00-9EC0-F4EFA1BFF7A1 (resized).jpegD372D606-6750-4D00-9EC0-F4EFA1BFF7A1 (resized).jpeg
    #1702 4 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

from the update: "As you probably know, most pinball books have maybe one or two photos of a machine, and most of those photos were not taken by book’s creator. And most books don’t begin to approach this many machines! Documenting this much pinball history is a first!"

As you should know, Pinball Magazine No. 5 covered over 180 different games. The books by Michael Shaloub and Marco Rossignoli feature way more than 90 games and as far as I understood they photographed these themselves (but correct me if I'm wrong). If the Stern book is as accurate as this update, it will be a waste of paper.

I'm also curious which games, aside from the known prototypes, had a production run of less than 50.

I'm also curious whether the book will include prototype games like Total Recall, Mad, Checkpoint with alphanumeric displays, Mini Viper, Aaron Spelling, Michael Jordan and such, but with the number of games being limited to 90 I guess that answers my question with a firm 'no'. Data East and Sega Games combined are roughly 65 titles (including prototypes that didn't see a full production run). Not counting the various models of the same game, Stern Pinball has at least 57 different titles listed on IPDB. So with 90 games, they won't be complete anyway. Then why bother about these 6 missing games? Only one word comes to mind: amateurs.

#1703 4 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Only one word comes to mind: amateurs.

Tell us how you really feel .

#1704 4 years ago

Even if they “finish” the book, i find it difficult to believe it will go to print. The money is long gone on playboy joe.

#1705 4 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

7) They say NFL, ... Baywatch as the remaining games. I have never seen an #nfl-football ...

NFL can be counted as one game or as 19! (@hool10, there was no Patriots version, which may be a factor in your not having seen it.)
    https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=4540&picno=57906
    I'd be curious about where those games are now, and I wish we had more variations depicted on IPDB. Any book about Stern Pinball ought to document these, as it was a noble experiment.
    .................David Marston

#1706 4 years ago

I can’t believe I will still have to cough up shipping on two books if this gets made

#1707 4 years ago

:applause:did i just read that it has been 2 years to write a book because they are lookin for a sharkeys shootout??????

#1708 4 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

NFL can be counted as one game or as 19! (hool10, there was no Patriots version, which may be a factor in your not having seen it.)
    https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=4540&picno=57906
    I'd be curious about where those games are now, and I wish we had more variations depicted on IPDB. Any book about Stern Pinball ought to document these, as it was a noble experiment.
    .................David Marston

I thought that was a custom game at TPF. No joke I seriously thought that and it was a Dallas Cowboys game in rough shape for ~$2,300. So I guess I have played every game on that list.

#1709 4 years ago

So in the March 2019 NBNL (No Book News Letter) Joe said the book was 90% done and that the Zombi Yeti prints, T-shirts, coffee cups, new Christmas ornaments, etc were going out to the makes of the stuff by March 31st.
    Did anyone get any of their stuff or was that more bullshit?

#1710 4 years ago

More bullshit.

#1711 4 years ago

Unbelievable bullshit.

12935AB1-8341-4A23-BD65-969BDE0F8CF6 (resized).jpeg12935AB1-8341-4A23-BD65-969BDE0F8CF6 (resized).jpeg
    #1712 4 years ago

I never received the first crappy paper xmas ornament

Quoted from Pinballlew:

I can’t believe I will still have to cough up shipping on two books if this gets made

do they seriously expect us to cough up more money for something that will ultimately be 3 (or more) years late??
    and if I don't pay these extra shipping costs, which technically means that I'll never receive my book, can I then claim a refund?

#1713 4 years ago

Well, what is the over/under on the quality of this book being better than the Pinball Adventures series? That clown did such a good job on that, he's making 6 production pinball machines! From gutter rakes to pinball in less than a year...what a guy!

#1714 4 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

Seriously though, if these are being photographed from home collections, I can only imagine some of the modded / purped out monstrosities that will show up in this book...if it ever gets done.

No need to worry about that. Unlike Pinball Magazine - where a full page is used for a complete playfield of a modern game - the playfield images in this book will be so small, you won't be able to notice any details...

#1715 4 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

No need to worry about that. Unlike Pinball Magazine - where a full page is used for a complete playfield of a modern game - the playfield images in this book will be so small, you won't be able to notice any details...

Ice-Cold-FreezeOtto (resized).jpgIce-Cold-FreezeOtto (resized).jpg
    #1716 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

I may have to eat my book payment rather than send these yahoos more money. Whose to say Joe and a few select interns won't go on another vacation with the shipping money?

#1717 4 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

"Either way, our pledge to you is that we will have this book done before the end of this year! No matter what!" - Paperflock
    They only said they pledge to have the book DONE by the end of this year...not that anyone would have a physical copy in their hands by then. If/when the book is finally "done" (as in editing, photos, layout, commentary, etc. are complete and finalized) they could still take forever to finally get it printed and shipped out to all the backers. No one is getting anything before the end of this year.

No read carefully, is says the end of the year, not end of this year.

3 weeks later
    #1718 4 years ago
    F96F5F7F-E004-4227-97CE-4C7FC90BA3B8 (resized).jpegF96F5F7F-E004-4227-97CE-4C7FC90BA3B8 (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #1719 4 years ago

Thanks Facebook. Screenshot_20191014-082851 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191014-082851 (resized).jpg

#1720 4 years ago

Hopefully every pinsider at expo that sees Gary stern asks him about this book. Another year another embarrassment.

#1721 4 years ago

I think it’s shameful that Stern was promoting this thing while we were all giving them our money. Now that it’s a failed disaster and our money is gone they just go silent. Shameful.

#1722 4 years ago

Three (3!) years later and they are still looking for games to photograph. Hey Joe, I heard there's a nice Baywatch in Tahiti, maybe better plan your next photo shoot!

#1723 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

Three (3!) years later and they are still looking for games to photograph. Hey Joe, I heard there's a nice Baywatch in Tahiti, maybe better plan your next photo shoot!

yeah, but it doesn't have legs
    4de350223ec5f4a65dd744a81143315d13f5eff7 (resized).jpg4de350223ec5f4a65dd744a81143315d13f5eff7 (resized).jpg

#1724 4 years ago

I’ve published 48 magazines in the 3 year’s since I gave my money. That’s over 5,000 pages. It is really not that hard. Went to Expo and got caugh up in the hype. Both Stern and Paperflock let us down. I funded two books on Kickstarter and at least I received the other one.

#1725 4 years ago
    Quoted from Backyardace:

I’ve published 48 magazines in the 3 year’s since I gave my money. That’s over 5,000 pages. It is really not that hard. Went to Expo and got caugh up in the hype. Both Stern and Paperflock let us down. I funded two books on Kickstarter and at least I received the other one.

but how many exotic destination vacations did you take during that 36 month period? if the answer is less than 10, you're obviously not doing something right

#1726 4 years ago

Hell, I did this in a few months WITH 3 vacations in there.....

8.5x11 BW 140 CM 4a FINAL (resized).jpg8.5x11 BW 140 CM 4a FINAL (resized).jpg
    #1727 4 years ago

did anyone see gary at expo and ask him about the [lack] of their coffee table book?

#1728 4 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

did anyone see gary at expo and ask him about the [lack] of their coffee table book?

No point. He's trying to forget about it, or at least hopes you do.

#1729 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

I have a super nice Baywatch and actually sent them a message after that backer email looking for games to shoot, thinking it would be cool to have my game in a book (and maybe help get this done...). Dameon emailed me and then we exchanged numbers and had a few conversations on the phone in early September and arranged a date for him to come by and get pictures of the game with his photographer near the end of September since he is actually local to Ohio. Never heard back from him after that and he never came or said anything about it. I never followed up with him but not feeling great about it...

#1730 4 years ago

Hmmm...what would the interns prefer---Ohio? Or Arruba, The Grand Caymans, Las Vegas, Cancun?

#1731 4 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I have a super nice Baywatch and actually sent them a message after that backer email looking for games to shoot, thinking it would be cool to have my game in a book (and maybe help get this done...). Dameon emailed me and then we exchanged numbers and had a few conversations on the phone in early September and arranged a date for him to come by and get pictures of the game with his photographer near the end of September since he is actually local to Ohio. Never heard back from him after that and he never came or said anything about it. I never followed up with him but not feeling great about it...

Because they don’t care. They’re not making the book. That joker took the money and went on vacation. They took us all for suckers. imho.

#1732 4 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Because they don’t care. They’re not making the book. That joker took the money and went on vacation. They took us all for suckers. imho.

Yep, I've already written this thing off. Scammer won't scam me again. I still say shame on Stern for clearly promoting this thing and then being silent. I feel they owe us something since they were clearly involved at some level.

#1733 4 years ago

if would be awesome if stern would step up and offer webstore credit for the backer amounts since they so heavily promoted it (and that was the only reason I decided to back the project

but we all know that will never happen

#1734 4 years ago
    FB_IMG_1572138698323 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1572138698323 (resized).jpg
    #1735 4 years ago

Stern more than promoted it, they were in a partnership with Paperflock. They should be held accountable.

http://metallife.com/stern-pinball-launch-kickstarter-to-create-coffee-table-book/

46035D67-6B6B-421F-87F0-55BBC0172849 (resized).jpeg46035D67-6B6B-421F-87F0-55BBC0172849 (resized).jpeg
    #1736 4 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Stern more than promoted it, they were in a partnership with Paperflock. They should be held accountable.
    http://metallife.com/stern-pinball-launch-kickstarter-to-create-coffee-table-book/[quoted image]

Absolutely. I wouldn’t have backed this without the Stern involvement. I seriously doubt it would have gotten off the ground.

#1737 4 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Absolutely. I wouldn’t have backed this without the Stern involvement. I seriously doubt it would have gotten off the ground.

Same here.

2 weeks later
    #1738 4 years ago

serious question
    does kickstarter have any provisions for backer recourse for a project owner that fails to bring a project to completion? or do they consider themselves free and clear after a project meets its target goal and they take their cut?

#1739 4 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

serious question
    does kickstarter have any provisions for backer recourse for a project owner that fails to bring a project to completion? or do they consider themselves free and clear after a project meets its target goal and they take their cut?

About the only thing they will do is to ban someone from running another KS campaign if they get enough complaints. There is no provision for refunds with KS...it is pure risk to the investor.

Just for giggles, I went back and re-read the first dozen or so pages of this thread. I realize hindsight is always 20/20, but it is just an interesting case in how we all want to believe the best in someone or something, and how a few words put down on paper will somehow convince us a person is a good individual that would never take anyone's money and knows what they are doing. Every con case I worked over the years started out the same way....these people survive by being able to convince others they are just ordinary good folks, and most of the time that decision is based on emotion, and nothing of substance. I am not saying this was necessarily a con...I think the intentions started out well, but lack of foresight and greed got the best of this project, and if there ever is anything that gets produced, I am sure the quality will be very disappointing.

#1740 4 years ago
    santaflock.pngsantaflock.png
    #1741 4 years ago

I would not have gone in on this without Stern’s public promotion. They do not have clean hands in my opinion, and owe the backers compensation for this failed project.

#1742 4 years ago
    Screenshot 2019-11-13 at 10.40.32 AM (resized).pngScreenshot 2019-11-13 at 10.40.32 AM (resized).png
    #1743 4 years ago
    1303-and-itsgone.jpg1303-and-itsgone.jpg
    #1744 4 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

[quoted image]

Uh oh, that can't be good...guess I'll just have to bust out the super cool X-mas "ornament" again this year and be happy with that.

#1745 4 years ago

Last update 65 days ago (I think)

#1746 4 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

I am not saying this was necessarily a con...I think the intentions started out well, but lack of foresight and greed got the best of this project,

No, it was a con alright.

#1747 4 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

[quoted image]

Any chance of a successful finish, just went out the window.

#1748 4 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Any chance of a successful finish, just went out the window.

No, this was dead long ago.

#1749 4 years ago

F*ck Paperflock. F*ck Stern.

All I have to say at this point.

#1750 4 years ago

Meter finally ran out

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 60.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter/page/35?hl=backyardace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.