Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 60.
    #1601 4 years ago

All the people saying it's "never going to happen they just stole our money", they're quiet now. That's a good thing.

#1602 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

All the people saying it's "never going to happen they just stole our money", they're quiet now. That's a good thing.

I guess only 10% of the people wanting the book now are the largest critics on pinside?

#1603 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

or we're just fed up to the point where we've given up wasting our breath. tell you what ron, give me $325 and you have have my book and rewards

#1604 4 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

Yes, because a several thousand dollar pinball machine is exactly the same as a $50 dollar book...
    I get why people are upset, especially those that contributed hundreds. I don't excuse Paperflock and the giant mess they have made out of the project to this point. It's just for me personally a pinball book isn't just something I am going to stress out about.

I agree...was just having some fun. I didn't invest....I made a comment early on about up front money in one of the threads and was blasted by the folks behind this project, so I walked away.

#1605 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

#1606 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

I just figured Joe and the intern-of-the-week(end) had way more fun with that $55 than I would have...

#1607 4 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

Published by Heighway Publications and will be delivered by
    Hydrofoil to your front door.

Unbound. Jpop will then come to your house and help you staple the pages together.

#1608 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Unbound. Jpop will then come to your house and help you staple the pages together.

Or, it will LOOK like that's what he's doing, but there will be no staples in the stapler. Only an impotent "click", "click", "click" with nothing to show for it.

#1609 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Or, it will LOOK like that's what he's doing, but there will be no staples in the stapler. Only an impotent "click", "click", "click" with nothing to show for it.

Hey now, I have almost every confidence that Jpop can work a stapler.

edit: Upon receiving multiple pm's in a very short amount of time from people who had previously worked at Bally/Williams during the 1990's, I must redact my previous statement.

#1610 4 years ago

I think it will take at least an additional two years for the stapler design to be finished. It sure will look cool but won’t work worth a darn.

#1611 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

I think it will take at least an additional two years for the stapler design to be finished. It sure will look cool but won’t work worth a darn.

I have seen the stapler...it indeed places staples in the paper, but there is no crimp on the back side.

#1612 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

stapling is hard ...

#1613 4 years ago

Ahh Jpop the joke that keeps on giving

#1614 4 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Ahh Jpop the joke that keeps on giving

jpopstapler (resized).jpgjpopstapler (resized).jpg
    #1615 4 years ago

Blows Paperflock out of the water instead of "do you want shit or kinda shitty".

#1616 4 years ago

these guys are only 2 months late
    withphysical progress vs. 2 years late w/ a 5 minute format change

plus, they apologized for being late. it took 2 years and my post to get joe to admit to that. on the negative side, it appears that AJ is actually going to be late by a minimum of 9 months (9 min mark on their video)

#1617 4 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

these guys are only 2 months late

withphysical progress vs. 2 years late w/ a 5 minute format change
    plus, they apologized for being late. it took 2 years and my post to get joe to admit to that. on the negative side, it appears that AJ is actually going to be late by a minimum of 9 months (9 min mark on their video)

Yeah true but you can likely meet him (I have) at a game show and he does panels, streams, etc. Paperflock nobody knows them and the size of the project is relatively small. I wouldn't be surprised at this point if Paperflock is actually losing money on this project.

#1618 4 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Yeah true but you can likely meet him (I have) at a game show and he does panels, streams, etc. Paperflock nobody knows them and the size of the project is relatively small. I wouldn't be surprised at this point if Paperflock is actually losing money on this project.

they can't really lose any money if they never produce the product. given that they raised over $50K to produce less than 500 books, I think that they would really have to piss away a good deal to not have enough funds to produce the actual book

vireland or jonathan can confirm this

#1619 4 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

I wouldn't be surprised at this point if Paperflock is actually losing money on this project.

Zidware was technically losing money as well...but JPop still took a lot of money out of the company from customers. I’m guessing they’ve been paying themselves in some way over the past couple of years out of Paperglock...

#1620 4 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

they can't really lose any money if they never produce the product. given that they raised over $50K to produce less than 500 books, I think that they would really have to piss away a good deal to not have enough funds to produce the actual book
    vireland or jonathan can confirm this

Let me put it like this: if I was paid $50K to produce 500 books, I would make sure it was ready in time and it would be so impressive that it would create an even bigger demand for reprints.

#1621 4 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Let me put it like this: if I was paid $50K to produce 500 books, I would make sure it was ready in time and it would be so impressive that it would create an even bigger demand for reprints.

Especially since the lion's share of that $50k wasn't even hard costs to print and ship the books.

3 weeks later
    #1622 4 years ago

another update...

Hello Backers!

Just a quick update to let you know that we are more than halfway through the redesign!

We started with Laser War, Stern's first machine, and have worked our way all the way through SEGA and are now working on the modern era of games! Some of these games have SO much content to go through and we want to squeeze every little bit of goodness out of this content we can!

Here are a few machines that have been completed in the last month:

Harley Davidson

Starship Trropers & Viper

South Park
    If you don't know the story of how South Park got made, it's in the book and a good story too!

We're truckin' on, and moving through these as fast as we can!

Will update again soon!

Thank you all for your support! Dameon, Joe, and the Paperflock team

#1623 4 years ago

So they’ve really only started working on the book (for real) in the last few months.

#1624 4 years ago

If you actually believe what they are saying now.....

#1625 4 years ago
    5FC4F29B-70D3-4D2D-9761-77E664C547CD (resized).png5FC4F29B-70D3-4D2D-9761-77E664C547CD (resized).png9CD930D6-29B8-415E-B261-DBC753850765 (resized).png9CD930D6-29B8-415E-B261-DBC753850765 (resized).pngFC0E6D9B-1F86-4FAA-9DDE-17B8013B8A43 (resized).pngFC0E6D9B-1F86-4FAA-9DDE-17B8013B8A43 (resized).png
    #1626 4 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

True :-/

#1627 4 years ago

man this book looks like absolute shit!

#1628 4 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

I sure don’t. If this thing actually ships, do you think they’re going to go through with the pro, premium, and limited editions of the book.

That’s why I’m pissed, ordered a few of the LEs for gifts, and myself. If this does go to print, it will be below pro standards.

#1629 4 years ago

It's starting to actually look like a coffee table style book though. I think we may actually have this book in our hands this year.

#1630 4 years ago

So I guess it will mostly be a cramp-as-many-images-as-we-can-fit-on-a-page book, without any eye for detail.

#1631 4 years ago
    Quoted from KLR2014:

another update...
    Hello Backers!
    Just a quick update to let you know that we are more than halfway through the redesign!
    We started with Laser War, Stern's first machine, and have worked our way all the way through SEGA and are now working on the modern era of games! Some of these games have SO much content to go through and we want to squeeze every little bit of goodness out of this content we can!
    Here are a few machines that have been completed in the last month:
    Harley Davidson
    Starship Trropers & Viper
    South Park
    If you don't know the story of how South Park got made, it's in the book and a good story too!
    We're truckin' on, and moving through these as fast as we can!
    Will update again soon!
    Thank you all for your support! Dameon, Joe, and the Paperflock team

#1632 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

man this book looks like absolute shit!

From the examples, the layout looks really inconsistent and poor. For example, I think showing the full plastic set and actual keyfobs a pin came with could be very useful for the present and future, but they don't do it on all of these, and in the case of Harley, they use the plastic set picture as a design element and have it bleeding from one background into another. Also, they have the SAME EAGLE shown in the plastic set and then overlaying the sticker sheet on the left. Crappy.

#1633 4 years ago

How many angles do we need to see of Kenny? I'd rather see 27 different angles of Chef's big black chocolatey balls

#1634 4 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

So I guess it will mostly be a cramp-as-many-images-as-we-can-fit-on-a-page book, without any eye for detail.

BINGO! This is exactly what its looking like

#1635 4 years ago

Hoping for a few bonus pages of Joe and the interns frolicking on vacation...

#1636 4 years ago

Wow this is looking more and more amateurish with each update

#1637 4 years ago

wow, thought it was just me but too cramped up (especially starship and viper) and would of loved to see a consistent shot of the cabinet, playfield & translite for every game

if the pages end up being smallish you are not going to see the details - whoever is the art director on this has a crap vision

#1638 4 years ago

agreed. at this point, I think that a [small] step in the right direction would be to remove some of the clutter and put in the acetate fold-out pages that show the different components of the machines (empty cabinet [solid sheet of paper] and then transparent pages for hardware in cabinet bottom, empty playfield and populated playfield layers (ramps, posts, spinners, drop target assemblies each as a layer) as well as playfield from underneath [solid sheet of paper] and then gi bulbs, controlled bulbs, subways, coils, drop target assemblies, gi harness, switch harness, coil harness transparent pages)

I'll bet that the book doesn't even detail the backbox improvements (with images) from the classic stern, dataeast, sega, whitestar, sam, spike and spike 2

#1639 4 years ago

I think it looks pretty good, particularly if the rest of the book is filled with good stories and behind the scenes pictures.

#1640 4 years ago

Is that it for text? Almost none in those pages.

3 weeks later
    #1641 4 years ago

After Thursday they will have another machine to add to the book!

#1642 4 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

After Thursday they will have another machine to add to the book!

That's likely going to cause a few months extra delay

#1643 4 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

That's likely going to cause a few months extra delay

At least a year, I would guess, with the way these guys work.

#1644 4 years ago

Maybe otaku could do a chapter on leg bolts....

#1645 4 years ago

I guess it doesn't even need to be said that we've crossed their "2 months" timeline since their poll.

#1646 4 years ago

They orbit the sun at a slower pace than the rest of us.

#1647 4 years ago

Ohh, nothing here either!

1 week later
    #1648 4 years ago

We want to make this book as jam-packed as we possibly can, but that means some of these layouts are taking twice as long!

It's because with many of these more recent machines we have SO much material and we are trying to squeeze as much as we can into the layouts!

Check out this layout for Simpson's Pinball Party, which has over 40 elements!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1649 4 years ago

They are right about squeezing in as much as possible on a page ...... damn

#1650 4 years ago

Yeh but we can get pictures from google images, what I was hoping for was more about the story of building these games...

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 60.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter/page/33?hl=manimal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.