Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 60.
    #1551 4 years ago

What should we vote for? Will it really take another couple months to get the “best”? If it’s two months, we can wait - heck we’ve waited this long, what’s another couple of months. But, we all know two months will turn into a year plus. Hate being pessimistic :-/

#1552 4 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

This is dumb.
    "Do you want a piece of shit, or a good book? Take our poll"
    You don't ask the customer this. You make an executive decision and you deliver on deadlines the best product you can. You don't show the customer what it could have been and then say "sorry we ran out of time to give you THIS".
    This poll is tainted because obviously the "ship now" examples are all turds.

Quoted from Ronnie1114:

The headings from the "original" layout are comically bad lmao

Couldn't agree more. This looks like something I could do wtf. This is "Laser War" sales flyer and it looks like it won't even be in the book. What I expected from this project, already delivered a year or 2 ago, was a book like the "Art of Atari" and instead we are getting the Sonic movie:

1415f1 (resized).jpg1415f1 (resized).jpg
    #1553 4 years ago

Whatever happened with this? With the interest in the hobby now this wouldn't be a bad thing at all

#1554 4 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Couldn't agree more. This looks like something I could do wtf. This is "Laser War" sales flyer and it looks like it won't even be in the book. What I expected from this project, already delivered a year or 2 ago, was a book like the "Art of Atari" and instead we are getting the Sonic movie:
    [quoted image]

That's a great looking book. Stern should contact them to do the 40th anniversary book.

#1555 4 years ago

I would vote for the piece of shit original layout. Makes the whole kickstarter fiasco more humorous. Plus Gary Stern would have to live with that amateurish book being associated with his company. Obviously there is nothing in the Stern Paperflock contract around quality of the book since it is being decided by survey.

#1556 4 years ago

What I find interesting is that the pages done by the graphic artist have absolutely no information. It is as if they just said put pictures of this machine on a page, totally forgetting that they had all this text and information which was supposedly already compiled before they hired this guy to do the layout. Now they want time to throw away all of the graphic artist’s work and add text.

#1557 4 years ago

Someone should tell him that if he makes a "good" book that they might actually sell MORE than just the kickstarter amount then he would have more money for his vacations and women.

#1558 4 years ago

Wow, these paper flock dudes are grade A assholes. Putting a choice like this off on customers is really a shitty move.

#1559 4 years ago

He didn’t mention how many more years it would take if we select the “improved layout.”

#1560 4 years ago

Years in the making, and the original layout looks like an amateur high school senior project ... I'm sorry, but you want us to be impressed by the "improved layout"? What a crock - the original layout looks like a draft that was thrown together in 15 minutes.

And then they say they want a vote - print as is, or give them "one or two months" to get it perfect? So after many years, you take a vote on just 1 or 2 months longer? That makes absolutely zero sense. None. This just reeks of desperation and crookedness.

#1561 4 years ago

Well, I figured out where all the intern photos came from.

7002e7e (resized).jpg7002e7e (resized).jpg
    #1562 4 years ago

Don't forget that all the Stern designers, etc including Gary himself has to sign this book for certain tiers. They also approved of this layout.

#1563 4 years ago

this is the comment that I posted to kickstarter today:

joe and co.
    here's the problem as well as the facts (and yes, I'm one of those whiney naysayers):
    - the book is now 2 years overdue
    - not once have you apologized for the repeated delays or taken ownership of your shortcomings and lack of planning on this project
    - you waited until well after the project was fully funded before even putting together a basic layout and hiring an editor. these are things that should have been thought out well ahead of even offering the book as a kickstarter funded project
    - you failed to uphold your promise to deliver monthly updates

it's hard to get excited about the updates because they don't really give us any sense of real progress being made, just more boilerplate rhetoric to appease your backers and bide yourself a bit more time.

from my perspective, the delays might have been a bit easier to swallow if you were someone that appeared to be actually passionate about the hobby and this project. unfortunately, you don't seem to be that person. if you were, you wouldn't have joined pinside.com, one of the largest pinball forum communities simply to try and garner sales, promise frequent updates and then completely vanish
    fact: you joined pinside and posted right after you launched the kickstarter project on oct 18, 2016 and then disappeared after may 21, 2018 (with a mere 6 posts after promising monthly updates 16 months prior)

with all that being said, I really don't expect what is finally produced (if it ever reaches completion) will be anything than mediocre as best

just my 2 cents as someone that *is* passionate about the hobby

#1564 4 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

this is the comment that I plan to post to kickstarter today:
    joe and co.
    here's the problem as well as the facts (and yes, I'm one of those whiney naysayers):
    - the book is now 2 years overdue
    - not once have you apologized for the repeated delays or taken ownership of your shortcomings and lack of planning on this project
    - you waited until well after the project was fully funded before even putting together a basic layout and hiring an editor. these are things that should have been thought out well ahead of even offering the book as a kickstarter funded project
    - you failed to uphold your promise to deliver monthly updates
    it's hard to get excited about the updates because they don't really give us any sense of real progress being made, just more boilerplate rhetoric to appease your backers and bide yourself a bit more time.
    from my perspective, the delays might have been a bit easier to swallow if you were someone that appeared to be actually passionate about the hobby and this project. unfortunately, you don't seem to be that person. if you were, you wouldn't have joined pinside.com, one of the largest pinball forum communities simply to try and garner sales, promise frequent updates and then completely vanish
    fact: you joined pinside and posted right after you launched the kickstarter project on oct 18, 2016 and then disappeared after may 21, 2018 (with a mere 6 posts after promising monthly updates 16 months prior)
    with all that being said, I really don't expect what is finally produced (if it ever reaches completion) will be anything than mediocre as best
    just my 2 cents as someone that *is* passionate about the hobby

Well, that just about sums it all up. Nice post.

#1565 4 years ago

Just an observation. These guys can't lose. A vote for the first version will give them the power to blame YOU for the crappy book. If you vote for the second version, it gives them the power to keep this thing going on forever.

#1566 4 years ago

I guess there must have been a lack of supervision on the person who put these pages together. That original Laser War layout makes no sense what so ever. Whoever did that should have been fired from that job instantly. Yet they let him/her continue the whole book? Seems very odd. In fact, it seems so odd, that I'm actually expecting the person who did the layout came up with the page they now show as approved, and they just whipped together a few worse looking pages that make no sense at all. Could it all just be such a smokescreen?

#1567 4 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

I guess there must have been a lack of supervision on the person who put these pages together. That original Laser War layout makes no sense what so ever. Whoever did that should have been fired from that job instantly. Yet they let him/her continue the whole book? Seems very odd. In fact, it seems so odd, that I'm actually expecting the person who did the layout came up with the page they now show as approved, and they just whipped together a few worse looking pages that make no sense at all. Could it all just be such a smokescreen?

I don't believe they did the whole book with the layout that looked like the crap one. No one is that dumb. This is just another way to buy more time.

#1568 4 years ago
    Quoted from KLR2014:

Just got an update:
    We want to hear from you! And we have a big update too.
    PaperFlock Inc
    May 6, 2019
    External link
    View on Kickstarter
    Hello Kickstarter Backers.
    First I want to apologize for not posting an update in April.
    But I also want to assure you we have been working hard on the book!
    We presented a full book layout to the Stern staff last month, and the feedback was good.
    But we don't want the book to be good, we want it to be GREAT!
    We got all of the layouts from the designer last month, and have been working hard to make them even better! Adding fun facts, graphics, and retouching photos to make them pop off the printed page.
    But we have been hearing a lot from backers who are frustrated with the time it is taking, and we completely understand the feeling.
    So we need to hear from you to help us decide if we should take the time to try and make everything as good as we can, or if we should just send it to the printer as is.
    First here is a graphic showing you the work we have been doing over the past weeks and months.
    On the left is the original layouts we got from the designer and on the right are the layouts we feel are greatly improved.
    Layout Comparisons
    A closer view
    (Keep in mind these are going to be large printed pages, so this small graphic may be hard to read.)
    We think it will take another month or two to get this book to where we are happy with it and ready to send to the printer. We base this estimate on the time it has taken us to rework what we have done so far and what we believe it will take to complete the remaining layouts.
    Now you may remember that in the last post I said we were 90% of the way done, and you may ask, "If you're 90% of the way done, why will it take another 2 months?" Well if you think about where we started from, which was just an idea for a book to celebrate these games and this period, we have come really far.
    We went to Stern 3 times to interview the staff, collect the stories, document as much history as we could find. Zack our writer intertwined those stories into a single flowing narrative that gives a broad view of the entire history of Stern from the start! We edited that work into a reasonable readable story that we think flows very well. We have now done 6 large scale shoots photographing dozens and dozens of machines, with a focus on detail. We have done a lot of research to collect facts about every machine. We have done layouts for every page, and retouching for every photo, including cutting out machine views for every page, some have 3! And maybe most importantly we have created a presentation format we feel maximizes every centimeter of the printed page, while still remaining clear and legible.
    We believe this is becoming a beautiful work that really shows the machines, the art, the game design, and the story of these objects we all love so much.
    So now it's up to you. We want to hear from every single backer!
    Should we keep going and complete this in the manner we know we can and make it as beautiful as we know how?
    Or should we just call it done and get the thing off the the printer?
    Here is the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/73ZHDRP
    It is only 1 question and will take only a few seconds to answer, but your response will show us the direction we need to go.
    As always thank you all so much for your support and your patience, Dameon, Joe, and the Paperflock Team
    [quoted image][quoted image]

So any results for the online survey yet? I imagine the voter count is good.

#1569 4 years ago

It would be a fitting end to this disaster for them to release the book unfinished. So that's what I voted for. Release a pile of shit for this pile of shit. RIP

#1570 4 years ago

I should also note that I don't really care because IF I do ever get a book it will never be opened and immediately put in the trash where it belongs. Hope this project forever haunts this crook

#1571 4 years ago

I was going to ask here if anyone got a refund. Then I noticed they posted this on the kickstarter:
    Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 9.15.32 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-05-09 at 9.15.32 AM (resized).png

In business (in the real world) if this happens you can be sued into bankruptcy because the business is insolvent.

It's fitting that this book has followed the exact same pinball trajectory of the most infamous pinball failures, blown deadlines and no cash to refund anyone.

#1572 4 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I was going to ask here if anyone got a refund. Then I noticed they posted this on the kickstarter:
    [quoted image]
    In business (in the real world) if this happens you can be sued into bankruptcy because the business is insolvent.
    It's fitting that this book has followed the exact same pinball trajectory of the most infamous pinball failures, blown deadlines and no cash to refund anyone.

Because the crook blew all the stolen money on vacations and "interns".

#1573 4 years ago

does this mean that once this joke is finally unleashed upon the public, we backers can then demand a refund?

#1574 4 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

I should also note that I don't really care because IF I do ever get a book it will never be opened and immediately put in the trash where it belongs.

Can I have it instead?

#1575 4 years ago

So when the book is done, then they will be in a better place to offer refunds?

Ask for interest on your money.

#1576 4 years ago

I seriously can't believe they are asking people if they want a piece of trash layout now or wait until it's completed... btw looks like the poll is open to anyone, since I was able to vote and I'm not even a backer (thankfully). What a joke.

#1577 4 years ago

Yeah, like this voting is a real thing ......

#1578 4 years ago

Absolute amateur hour by this mob

#1579 4 years ago

remember they want to hear from everybody who backed them. So they aren’t going to do a thing until the number of votes equals the number of backers. That will get him another year at least. Next two updates are going to read, still waiting on votes from EVERY BACKER.

#1580 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ronnie1114:

The headings from the "original" layout are comically bad lmao

It's so bad I want it badly

I don't even remember if I ordered 1 or 2.
    Probably two. One was scheduled as a prize for our annual local league... two years ago. Since then I moved to another city! (and currently a different country...)

So one copy should be enough for me. But I would keep it, because this book (especially the original version) would be an instant collector. JJP should buy a few of these.

Quoted from TheBrewhouse:

I would vote for the piece of shit original layout. Makes the whole kickstarter fiasco more humorous. Plus Gary Stern would have to live with that amateurish book being associated with his company.

Agreed. Except "amateurish" is far too kind.

#1581 4 years ago

With all of this delay, none of the "newer" games will appear (GotG, SW, Aerosmith, BK3, Munsters, Deadpool, Beatles, and Iron Maiden)

I'd be happy with these games in the old format just to get them in the book LOL

#1582 4 years ago

That is the excuse the P-Flockers used for the delay in the first place--getting Batman66 into the book--or was it GB? Been so long I don't exactly recall.

#1583 4 years ago

I think it was Star Wars, pretty sure there was a lot of speculation June 2017. Wow, 8 games have come out during the delay?!?!?!? 8?!?!

#1584 4 years ago

Man, it has been a long time--SW!

#1585 4 years ago

That was my point ... so many games have come out and a simple picture book still has not

#1586 4 years ago

Let’s think about this for a minute. In the time paperflock has pissed away, stern was able to develop, build, and ship 8 new games. 8 entire machines including two different architectures. How f’n long does it take to write a shitty book???

#1587 4 years ago

Pinball is hard. Pinball books are hard. Planning on which intern to take to what vacation spot and spending all the pinball book money is even harder.

#1588 4 years ago

another update:

Hello Kickstarter Backers!

First, I want to tell you we are rocking our way through these
    layout revisions and have done about a dozen since our last
    update
    a week ago!

We are on track to get this done very soon!

We asked our 444 backers to let us know if you wanted us to push
    through and finish the book the best way we know how, or send
    it to
    the printer immediately even if it's not up to our personal
    standards.

We received 206 responses to our survey that were overwhelmingly
    supportive of sticking to our mission, even if it takes more
    time.

90% of backers said "Keep working"!

If you would like to see the results yourself on the survey
    website you can do so here:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/stories/SM-5VHBP8HL/

We really appreciate the support and understanding.

In a comment on the last post someone suggested we have never
    apologized for taking so long. We thought we had, but just in
    case
    anyone out there feels like either we don't know this project
    is
    well overdue or does not feel we have properly addressed
    this, let
    me do that now.

As Kickstarter backers, you have trusted us with your money. We
    are deeply sorry the project has taken this long to produce.
    We
    jumped into this project with both feet after only a few
    conversations with people about the access we would have and
    the
    existence of material we believed we could use. It turned out
    that
    the photographic documentation that was promised before we
    launched
    the Kickstarter actually did not exist! So we were forced to
    do the
    work ourselves, traveling around the U.S. to shoot almost ALL
    of
    these machines—many of which are extremely rare! If you see
    our
    previous updates, you can understand what a big undertaking
    this
    was. Even shooting 6 or 7 machines can be a huge, several-day
    job
    with travel and hotels. But we want you to know we are doing
    our
    very best to uphold our promise to you, and produce the best
    book
    we possibly can. Hopefully at the end when you have this
    beautiful
    book in your hand you will feel it is worth it and will be
    able to
    forgive us.

And here are a few more pages so you know we are working
    hard!

Thank you all for taking the time to answer our survey, thank
    you for your patience, thank you for your support, just thank
    you
    all in general.

We are working hard to get the best product we can in your hand
    as fast as we can!

Best,

Joe, Dameon, and the Paperflock Team

4314337112e6281868e685e7622c8d74_original (resized).png4314337112e6281868e685e7622c8d74_original (resized).png6107c4b6e69e727b3e9d966039ea793c_original (resized).png6107c4b6e69e727b3e9d966039ea793c_original (resized).png98c6d895b5574ecd7a2c342566a9a8f2_original (resized).png98c6d895b5574ecd7a2c342566a9a8f2_original (resized).pngc16b6ae3e7e8ec612b1dd9cee836fa51_original (resized).pngc16b6ae3e7e8ec612b1dd9cee836fa51_original (resized).png
    #1589 4 years ago

Published by Heighway Publications and will be delivered by Hydrofoil to your front door.

#1590 4 years ago
    Quoted from KLR2014:

another update:
    Hello Kickstarter Backers!
    First, I want to tell you we are rocking our way through these layout revisions and have done about a dozen since our last
    update a week ago!

Meh. Layout IS improving, but still too little, too late.

#1591 4 years ago

Unless the P-Flockers turn out the best looking pinball book ever, no one is gonna be happy after all this delay. What I'm seeing would have flown if this was delivered on time, but not now.

#1592 4 years ago

I wonder if we're going to get production numbers for recent machines?

#1593 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

I wonder if we're going to get production numbers for recent machines?

Doubtful. If they did, it would delay this clusterf**k of a book by years.

#1594 4 years ago

And what about all the promised extras for the different tiers??

#1595 4 years ago
    Quoted from KLR2014:

90% of backers said "Keep working"!

I think they actually meant START working

#1596 4 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

Unless the P-Flockers turn out the best looking pinball book ever, no one is gonna be happy after all this delay. What I'm seeing would have flown if this was delivered on time, but not now.

If I get a book, I will be happy as long as it has a good level of content. Don't see what difference it would've made to my life if I had it a year ago vs a year from now. Unless of course I die before the book arrives, but then I have a whole other level of problems.

#1597 4 years ago

A sick part of me hoped the "Ship it now" would win. lol.

#1598 4 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

If I get a book, I will be happy as long as it has a good level of content. Don't see what difference it would've made to my life if I had it a year ago vs a year from now. Unless of course I die before the book arrives, but then I have a whole other level of problems.

Great concept....can I borrow your next NIB pin for a year or so? Won't make a difference to your life, but it will for mine! lol

#1599 4 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

A sick part of me hoped the "Ship it now" would win. lol.

You never know, that option may have won. They probably were going with the new format the whole time but wanted to have a "vote" so that they looked like the good guys and gave the people what they say the people wanted, and thus buying themselves more time.

#1600 4 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

Great concept....can I borrow your next NIB pin for a year or so? Won't make a difference to your life, but it will for mine! lol

Yes, because a several thousand dollar pinball machine is exactly the same as a $50 dollar book...

I get why people are upset, especially those that contributed hundreds. I don't excuse Paperflock and the giant mess they have made out of the project to this point. It's just for me personally a pinball book isn't just something I am going to stress out about.

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 60.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter/page/32?hl=backyardace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.