Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 82 days ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 60.
    #1351 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I would be too ashamed to post photos like that when I was 2 years behind on something. But I get than I'm an old fart and people do things different these days.

I would be too ashamed of posting a photo wearing that button down shirt with all those zipper pockets on it.

#1352 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

to get some semblance of closure as 2018 comes to a close, I submitted this email to Stern Pinball this morning

Any response from Stern?

#1353 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Any response from Stern?

I would be very surprised if anyone ever gets a reply from Stern about this subject.

#1354 5 years ago
    Quoted from Micky:

I would be very surprised if anyone ever gets a reply from Stern about this subject

Hard to say, if we ask them enough they will have to address it some way or another eventually.

Has anyone figured out how Joe got to Stern? My guess is he’s related to someone important there, surely he didn’t just cold call his way to those endorsements they gave this project...

#1355 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Hard to say, if we ask them enough they will have to address it some way or another eventually.
    Has anyone figured out how Joe got to Stern? My guess is he’s related to someone important there, surely he didn’t just cold call his way to those endorsements they gave this project...

As far as I am aware they are (were) pinball fans and came to Stern for support.

#1356 5 years ago

Jared Jared Jared

What's going on?

#1357 5 years ago

Go Speed Racer!

Spridal (resized).PNGSpridal (resized).PNG
    #1358 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Go Speed Racer!
    [quoted image]

How did you manage to get the book cover?

Autographed posters will also be available.

#1359 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

He probably just showed up with a third of the cash collected from the Kickstarter and said “want some free money”

#1360 5 years ago

probably related to Jody

#1361 5 years ago

Why can’t robin contact Stern? Don’t forget he defended, promoted, and supported this disaster too, he might as well use his pinside influence with them to get some answers.

#1362 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Any response from Stern?

nope, nothing (as expected

Quoted from hool10:

As far as I am aware they are (were) pinball fans and came to Stern for support.

pinball fan? (meaning that he once had a friend's cousin's sister's roommate's brother see a stern pinball machine in a pop-up ad on their browser

#1363 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

nope, nothing (as expected

pinball fan? (meaning that he once had a friend's cousin's sister's roommate's brother see a stern pinball machine in a pop-up ad on their browser

They claimed so in their KS video. I think Joe also owns a GoT and wants a GB.

#1364 5 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

They claimed so in their KS video. I think Joe also owns a GoT and wants a GB.

All he has to do is run another Kickstarter and boom! Enough cash to blow on a GB

1 week later
    #1365 5 years ago

Another update:

EDE57B4E-F87A-4766-BFF2-97B595208DBD (resized).pngEDE57B4E-F87A-4766-BFF2-97B595208DBD (resized).pngFE87D387-2778-44F3-A6FD-61126668AD3E (resized).pngFE87D387-2778-44F3-A6FD-61126668AD3E (resized).png
    #1366 5 years ago

#1367 5 years ago

Huh...I thought I had already read and forgotten about this book. Now Joe tells me I haven't even received it yet? Guess I still have that to look forward to...

#1368 5 years ago

Are we sure this post wasn't dated January 2017?

#1369 5 years ago

This book is sending me round the bend

#1370 5 years ago

I hate what they showed in the video!

Machines with the wrong legs, color powdercoating and not even the correct type of siderails etc.

If you make a book like this it has to show the ORIGINAL game like it came out of the factory, not what has happened with it afterwards?!

If the wait wasn’t disappointing enough

#1371 5 years ago

if I do "proper" math, with joe's new estimate of 1,500 hrs is equivalent to another 9 months before this sh*t will be completed (at the earliest

and remember kids, this doesn't include layout time, writing time, vacation time, photographing time, travel time, more vacation time, negotiating time, other time, and even more vacation time

I really wish that more backers (other than myself) would start posting their displeasure on how this project has failed on some many fronts

#1372 5 years ago

...and you're just finding this out NOW??

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
    #1373 5 years ago

these guys are total knobs. given that stern issued promotional flyers for EVERY game produced, this means that studio quality photos already exist and stern probably doesn't feel like troubling themselves to go through their own archives and find them

I'm going to start a kickstarter for a 38th [unofficial] anniversary of stern games but provide colored drawings of the machines as interpreted by K-3 school kids. I'll bet that I still get my book out before joe and it will be at least 100% better too!

ted, will you be my editor?

#1375 5 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

...and you're just finding this out NOW??
    [quoted image]

It's perfectly reasonable to expect someone to have a vault of print quality photos of every machine from Stern's history.

HAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAH

#1376 5 years ago

I’ll take how can we justify a trip to Vegas for 100 Alex.

#1377 5 years ago
    Quoted from puck:

I’ll take how can we justify a trip to Vegas for 100 Alex.

You've got their number.

#1378 5 years ago

the best part will be all those photos of these routed games with broken plastics, blown out playfields and cabinet graffiti

#1379 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

the best part will be all those photos of these routed games with broken plastics, blown out playfields and cabinet graffiti

That explains the 30min per image....

#1380 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

this means that studio quality photos already exist and stern probably doesn't feel like troubling themselves to go through their own archives and find them

Stern already gave them tons of CD's with images and pictures .... that was last fall (1.5 yrs after they were supposed to finish the book). There's no way they needed pictures of any DMD era Stern game.

#1381 5 years ago

Some take up to an hour. Well... that means it should have been a week after the goal was reached.

#1382 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

if I do "proper" math, with joe's new estimate of 1,500 hrs is equivalent to another 9 months before this sh*t will be completed (at the earliest
    and remember kids, this doesn't include layout time, writing time, vacation time, photographing time, travel time, more vacation time, negotiating time, other time, and even more vacation time
    I really wish that more backers (other than myself) would start posting their displeasure on how this project has failed on some many fronts

I guess since I bought two of these I should be more upset. I just think so much time went by that I am over it. Disappointed in the wait but I still believe it will be finished, as Joe is still posting updates although way to infrequent throughout this fiasco. I am just bummed that it won’t have the clear see thru dissection of a pinball machine pages, That idea just sounded so cool to me and brought out my inner child, you know like a pinball machine does.

#1383 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

these guys are total knobs. given that stern issued promotional flyers for EVERY game produced, this means that studio quality photos already exist and stern probably doesn't feel like troubling themselves to go through their own archives and find them
    I'm going to start a kickstarter for a 38th [unofficial] anniversary of stern games but provide colored drawings of the machines as interpreted by K-3 school kids. I'll bet that I still get my book out before joe and it will be at least 100% better too!
    ted, will you be my editor?

I have just googled Elvis and some of the older Sterns and there are hi res flyers as well as cabinet and playfield images available for all the games Stern produced flyers for.

At this point I think it’s showing just how clueless and incompetent Joe is, so far in his teases/updates they have shown to be using photos of games that are not factory. The book is a history of Stern and their games the photos should be of the games in CAD, solidworks, art samples and the final game as it came off the production line, not photos taken of games in Bobs collection after he’s added mods and changed armour etc

#1384 5 years ago

Stern certainly did take proper photos during their production, but I am not sure what was offered with their CDs. The CDs must be quite disorganized.

Plenty of chronological high quality images and flyer examples can be found here:

http://flyers.cdyn.com/pingames/stern/html/chrono.html
    http://flyers.cdyn.com/pingames/data_east/html/chrono.html

Realizing that you need to take photos of produced (and prototype?) titles two+ years after a start a book about said games is more than a bit embarrassing. Evening Banning and the PHOF don't have every game, but are closer than most. I don't know who he has contacted to fill in the rest of the holes. Some older games are quite difficult to locate. Private collectors many times are the only option.

I am starting to believe if these authors do actually pull off this book, it will look like shit finger painting, Duke Nukem Forever style.
    meteor-1979-f-2 (resized).jpgmeteor-1979-f-2 (resized).jpg

#1385 5 years ago

I don’t want any more “updates” at this point. The next communication should be - the book is shipping. It’s almost as if the publisher is trying to stay relevant at this point while tarnishing his company name in the process.

#1386 5 years ago

I’ve already assumed my money was stolen and used for vacations at this point. However I continue to follow this just for the humor of the disaster of it all. Based on what we just saw, IF this book ever does happen, it will be a disaster of a book.

#1387 5 years ago

And what about all those extras I paid for? Couldn’t some of that been delivered by now? Just saying.......

833409A5-80AA-4221-8EF6-D5FCB9E735E7 (resized).jpeg833409A5-80AA-4221-8EF6-D5FCB9E735E7 (resized).jpeg
    #1388 5 years ago

Oh and just to rub salt on the wounds it looks like I had “upped” my pledge. Where’s my fucking jacket?

8AE634B5-AEA2-45A9-8E31-5962C8162C61 (resized).jpeg8AE634B5-AEA2-45A9-8E31-5962C8162C61 (resized).jpeg
    #1389 5 years ago

its so limited it don't exist!

#1390 5 years ago

Not sure if one of those guys can sign still..... what a mess.

#1391 5 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Oh and just to rub salt on the wounds it looks like I had “upped” my pledge. Where’s my fucking jacket?[quoted image]

lol. apparently, you're as big of an idiot as I am (good to know that I wasn't the only fool to be taken in for that much

joe has been probably scouring all of the local thrift stores to try and find enough dickies (meaning rebranded circa 1982 members only) jackets for all of us $325 donors errm.. suckers to apply iron-on transfers onto (or more likely, the jackets will come packages as a DIY kit with a jacket and iron-on transfer with the caveat that they are not responsible for any damage done to said "nylon" jacket with a hot iron

btw, when/if the final book is delivered, can we claim fraud when the books don't feature trudeau's hand-signed autograph?? I mean, that was a selling point of the LE book and might have been the only reason that I donated at that level at the time

#1392 5 years ago

It's almost as if they had no idea what they were doing and poorly planned how to do it...

How the hell does it take a thirty minutes to a hour to photoshop those images? You're taking new photos on an all white backdrop with ample lighting! Does no one on staff know how to use the dozens of tools in Photoshop that could automate the process of going through hundreds of images to remove the backdrop, even out the lighting, etc.. The labor intensive part is physically moving the machine to get photos of it, not the slight touch up work on the photos

Kudos for at least still working on it I guess?

#1393 5 years ago

I say this half kidding ..... it would be nice for them to add the clear peel away parts pages as a token of "We're sorry....we had no clue how to make a book, we lied about everything, and are especially sorry for releasing the book 4.5 yrs late"

It amazes me that Kickstarter projects of complex games or electronics can be engineered, designed, prototyped, tested, produced, shipped on a slow ass boat from China, and sent to people in 1/2 the time that these "authors" can partially make a few pages of a book with every bit of information and pictures readily available to them to use.

#1394 5 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I say this half kidding ..... it would be nice for them to add the clear peel away parts pages as a token of "We're sorry....we had no clue how to make a book, we lied about everything, and are especially sorry for releasing the book 4.5 yrs late"
    It amazes me that Kickstarter projects of complex games or electronics can be engineered, designed, prototyped, tested, produced, shipped on a slow ass boat from China, and sent to people in 1/2 the time that these "authors" can partially make a few pages of a book with every bit of information and pictures readily available to them to use.

Kickstarter changed some rules so you have to have a "working prototype" before you start a campaign. They should probably have a rule that you must have a rough draft/layout if you want to kickstart a book

#1395 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

lol. apparently, you're as big of an idiot as I am (good to know that I wasn't the only fool to be taken in for that much
    joe has been probably scouring all of the local thrift stores to try and find enough dickies (meaning rebranded circa 1982 members only) jackets for all of us $325 donors errm.. suckers to apply iron-on transfers onto (or more likely, the jackets will come packages as a DIY kit with a jacket and iron-on transfer with the caveat that they are not responsible for any damage done to said "nylon" jacket with a hot iron
    btw, when/if the final book is delivered, can we claim fraud when the books don't feature trudeau's hand-signed autograph?? I mean, that was a selling point of the LE book and might have been the only reason that I donated at that level at the time

Add me to the idiot club. I just looked back at kickstarter and I'm in the $325 club. This book and two other kickstarters are the only ones of over 50 that I haven't received.

#1396 5 years ago

As mentioned above, I don’t see how they can be over two year’s into a book and determine they don’t have enough photos. Did Joe hire a high school yearbook staff?

#1397 5 years ago

Dust jacket is the removable outside sleeve you see on many coffee table books.

#1398 5 years ago
    Quoted from Backyardace:

Did Joe hire a high school yearbook staff?

He should have. The book would have been completed a long time ago if he had the better skills of a high school yearbook club on staff.

#1399 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinmaniac:

Add me to the idiot club.

I just hope you idiots get your signed stuff!

#1400 5 years ago

I'm sure Joe has the interns busy signing stuff as we speak...

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 60.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter/page/28 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.