Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 60.
    #1301 5 years ago
    0AF9FD6F-8D16-4979-AF7F-06DFEB2BB8CC (resized).jpeg0AF9FD6F-8D16-4979-AF7F-06DFEB2BB8CC (resized).jpeg
    #1302 5 years ago
    Quoted from KLR2014:

Just got an update:
    Hello Kickstarter Backers,
    I know it has been a while since the last update, I can promise you A LOT has been happening over here!
    We have been running clipping masks, color correction, and retouching on hundreds and hundreds of files! And I have a layout to show you!
    We are still adding captions and doing small layout tweaks, but as you can see every page of this book represents a considerable amount of work!
    Many coffee table books have one picture on most pages, but we didn't feel that represented these amazing machines properly. As you can see each of our pages can be made up of many many elements, this one has 30 separate images in a 2 page layout! We are cramming as much information into these pages as we can while still respecting the amazing art.
    So what's the schedule like?
    We are hoping to finish the layout this year!
    And get it off to Stern for Approval.
    After that there will be a (hopefully short) revision process.
    And once that is approved, we are off to the printers!
    I know this has been a long road, much longer than we anticipated ourselves to be honest, but we are very near the finish, and I know we are making the best pinball book we have ever seen!
    Thanks for your patience, Joe and Dameon, and the Paperflock Team
    [quoted image]

One of those photos is of the Hallmark LightCycles used by most owners to replace the factory diecast models, was this originally Sterns plan before switching to the cheaper diecast models or is the photo simply pulled off the Internet??

#1303 5 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

I just want the book at this point. Dear God help us if Stern nitpicks it during approval.

They might as well to make themselves look as good as possible. The book is already crazy behind schedule and most people who backed it are probably not going to be able to fully enjoy it because of the years of frustration. That's the thing about Kickstarter, they're only pissing off customers that already gave their money. They need to make it as nice as possible for the people who haven't bought one and may be interested in buying one.

#1304 5 years ago

Joe's book back cover mantra:
    its-only-cheating-if-you-get-caught (resized).jpgits-only-cheating-if-you-get-caught (resized).jpg

Unfortunately, only a handful of people recognized the realities of this at the beginning, and the rest were considered haters.
    We are not haters, but just trying to offer a cautionary tale based on experience.

#1305 5 years ago

Can someone Photoshop him in one of Andrew Heighway's hydrofoils? Seems like a match made in heaven.

#1306 5 years ago
    Joe to his customers (resized).jpgJoe to his customers (resized).jpg
    #1307 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

[quoted image]

Lol. MrBally P.I.

#1308 5 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Unfortunately, only a handful of people recognized the realities of this at the beginning, and the rest were considered haters.
    We are not haters, but just trying to offer a cautionary tale based on experience.

It's not over yet or he wouldn't be responding at all. You are more than free to gloat once it's over but save your long prepared comment for that day.

#1309 5 years ago

I am hardly overjoyed about watching the anger of backers after over two years regarding this project.

I have watched too many years of various successes and failures in this hobby, of which unfortunately many people were not around to see. People simply need to be realistic in terms of goals, planning, and timeframes of which nothing was objectively clear or overestimated in terms of expectations with this project. Joe even asked ME for recommendations of a good writer to use during the funding campaign back in 2016! I offered suggestions anyway, but still was upset in context. I expressed my displeasure here, and people took as some sort of hate cause. You don't decide to make a plan after you take enthusiasts money! This is why I refused early backing for my own Ted Zale book.

It just reminds of the past, like during the Gene Cunningham BLY/WMS playfield fiascos in the early 2000s.
    Fortunately, for the most part, he eventually corrected the matter at cost of his personal finances.

#1310 5 years ago

Joe's other successful Kickstarter product:

#1312 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Joe's other successful Kickstarter product:

I guess you really can’t trust anyone that looks like Willy Wonka!?

57684C4A-3CA0-4266-AC71-CDC9BE0B7B7E (resized).jpeg57684C4A-3CA0-4266-AC71-CDC9BE0B7B7E (resized).jpeg

5BD68618-7674-4DD2-BC81-09345907AC40 (resized).jpeg5BD68618-7674-4DD2-BC81-09345907AC40 (resized).jpeg
    #1313 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

How did Joe get to Stern? Did he know someone there who vouched for him? If so, who? Surely Stern didn’t help promote someone who just cold called them...he had to have a path inside.
    Does Joe have a normal job or was this book his primary means of income?

Anyone wanna email Stern and see if they respond?

#1314 5 years ago

So it actually made it to production.

#1315 5 years ago

Joe looks a bit like John Romero of ID Software fame or Doom/Quake: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Romero

John_Romero_-_Jason_Scott_interview_(6951215353)_(cropped) (resized).jpgJohn_Romero_-_Jason_Scott_interview_(6951215353)_(cropped) (resized).jpg
    #1316 5 years ago

Except John Romero is awesome...

#1317 5 years ago

and actually followed through on his projects

#1318 5 years ago

Eh well not entirely. John Romero was the crazy one and John Carmack was the smart one coding away. The book "Masters of Doom" documents it pretty well with Romeros antics. Still is a great programmer especially the multiplayer side. Anyways Kickstarter and other gofundme's can be good. A number of tables for Farsight was backed on Kickstarter like TAF. I got my board game. I posted about it a few pages ago about that camera and it was produced with great success. It's the reason why I backed this project and he also did a cosplay coffee table book. While this project didn't get that much funding and probably he lost money on it it's still baffling the way this entire project was handled along with Stern just going "well it's their *thing* not ours". Batman 66' is now pretty much finished code wise even. When I get this book it's gonna be like Magic Girl or something.

#1319 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

and actually followed through on his projects

He's pretty much been a total failure since he was pushed out of id. He's the John Popadiuk of video games. Great creative mind, decent engineer, but a terrible project manager that needs a team to get things to the goalline. Daikatana is a lot like Magic Girl. A lot of hype, a lot of promises, delayed for years, and the final product mostly didn't work or make anyone happy.

#1320 5 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

If it does get funded, people will lose their money when the person goes on vacation and buys a new car.
    Don't be hornswoggled, unless the money does not matter to an individual.
    This is not a "good deal".

damn! who knew that the TheBlackKnight would call this one correctly 2 years ago

happy 3rd xmas to all of us that got screwed

#1321 5 years ago

Ah, no worries--that cool X-mas ornament (of sorts) was almost worth it

#1322 5 years ago

Everytime I think about this book these lyrics come to mind:

No, you're never gonna get it
    Never ever gonna get it (no, not this time)
    No, you're never gonna get it
    Never ever gonna get it
    I remember how it used to be
    You never was this nice, you can't fool me
    Now you talkin' like you made a change
    The more you talk, the more things sound the same

#1323 5 years ago

I had a grand pipe dream in my head to scan every Stern pinball flyer since South Park and turn them into a coffee table book for myself. When this book was hyped, I thought "wow, I don't need to make my own book". It probably would have been quicker making my own book.....

#1324 5 years ago
    Quoted from ahdelarge:

I had a grand pipe dream in my head to scan every Stern pinball flyer since South Park and turn them into a coffee table book for myself. When this book was hyped, I thought "wow, I don't need to make my own book". It probably would have been quicker making my own book.....

Get me the files...I'll make the book...
    (AND get it out before this one!)

#1325 5 years ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

Hello Pinside,
    My name is Joseph Rubinstein, I am one of the co-founders of PaperFlock inc, and am helping develop this book for Stern Pinball.
    I would like to personally answer your questions and address your concerns.
    Here are a list of things I think I can address in this thread, please feel free to message me if I left something out.

#3. Will the book come out if funded?
    Yes. The book will definitely come out if funded.
    As I stated above I have a long history with crowdfunding /crowdsourcing (https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/joedp) and my partner Dameon has a long history with printing. I have created and delivered on Kickstarter campaigns in the past. We are here, our reputation is on the line, Stern's reputation is on the line, I guarantee the book will come out if it gets funded.

Remember this joe? We do.
    Post #53.

He guaranteed the book would come out. Sounds like a personal guarantee to me, possible avenue for class action lawsuit.

6575A473-8610-4CC2-B175-32A597FDBCB7 (resized).jpeg6575A473-8610-4CC2-B175-32A597FDBCB7 (resized).jpeg
    #1326 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Remember this joe? We do.
    Post #53.
    He guaranteed the book would come out. Sounds like a personal guarantee to me, possible avenue for class action lawsuit.

Well, it says Stern's reputation is on the line, so of course...uh, wait...nevermind.

#1327 5 years ago

To be fair, he didn’t say when the book would come out. Probably around the time Stern releases a Jimi Hendrix pinball machine.

#1328 5 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Get me the files...I'll make the book...
    (AND get it out before this one!)

This sounds like a challenge! Haha

Biggest barrier was that I had to buy the flyers I didn't already own.

#1329 5 years ago

Got ya! Many are probably available on Google Images....

1 week later
    #1332 5 years ago

Just started thinking of the events this year as '18 is coming to an end. It's been 2 years and it's almost like the Duke Nukem: Forever list: http://duke.a-13.net/ A good example is Trump becoming president shortly after this Kickstarter launched. A lot has happened in those 2 years. Also congrats Paperflock on winning the worst GoFundMe pinball book TWERPY award on the Head2Head Pinball podcast. At least people got toilet paper for Thanksgiving with poor Todds book.

#1333 5 years ago

well I got Fireball Island via Kickstarter for Christmas so at least one company delivered - and man it looks sweet

#1334 5 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

well I got Fireball Island via Kickstarter for Christmas so at least one company delivered - and man it looks sweet

Me too!! I get to unwrap mine tomorrow, can't wait to play it.

#1335 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Me too!! I get to unwrap mine tomorrow, can't wait to play it.

it looks great, they did a great job

We are already into christmas day, just gotta get the eating out of the way, have a water fight with the kids (as going to be a hot one) and then chill with a game later

#1336 5 years ago

Sweet! Merry christmas buddy!

#1337 5 years ago

looking at the kickstarter page, there were only 7 updates in 2017 and actually 10 this year
    however, the content of those updates has definitely been lacking (especially since joe posted that the book copy had been approved back in march)

to get some semblance of closure as 2018 comes to a close, I submitted this email to Stern Pinball this morning:

"So, what's the deal with the KICKSTARTER book? Stern took an active stance 2 years ago promoting this [official] coffee table book celebrating 30 years of Stern's pinball history with flyers and huge banners at the 2016 pinball expo in Chicago and their own party (that I purchased a ticket to attend).

Now, over 18 months past expected delivery date, we backers still have no tentative release time line or even a sense of urgency on the part of Stern/Paperflock to complete this project and reward its backers.

With May 2019 approaching, the book will celebrate it's 2 year anniversary at being overdue and not only has Paperflock been lax in keeping their backers updated, but Stern Pinball itself appears to have distanced themselves from the project since there's no mention of it anywhere on the official sternpinball.com website.

As the company that partnered and promoted this project, I can't help but feel like I've been lied to and cheated out of my hard earned money and I think that some of the blame should fall on you (as a named partner) for not following through to ensure the completion of the project."

I guess the only thing that could be worse is if the book finally does make it to press and they use all of the history info found on stern's own website
    https://sternpinball.com/about/

#1338 5 years ago

I can see Joe didn't take my advice. What a disappointment.

Sincerely hope you all get your books without another 2 year wait.

I'll be sure to stalk any new projects joe tries to kickstart and be vocal there.

#1339 5 years ago

Joe having Christmas fun in Las Vegas.

I wonder if he stopped by the Pinball Hall of Fame or ran into Rotordave?

Joe at Palazzo Las Vegas (resized).PNGJoe at Palazzo Las Vegas (resized).PNG
    #1340 5 years ago

If he’s got money to party in Vegas, he’s got money to refund the backers. He personally guaranteed this thing would get made. It hasn’t. Time to refund.

#1341 5 years ago

I wonder if he hit up the Louis Vuitton store at the Shoppes at the Palazzo. $55k ought to buy the lady a handbag or two.

#1342 5 years ago

I look forward to hearing what, if any, response you get. I believe someone else posted something on their Facebook page about the book and the post was promptly deleted.

It looks like I will be getting my autographed Night of the Living Dead book; it’s only 2 months late and had far better communication than this mess. If not for Sterns involvement I would have never backed it.

Quoted from j_m_:

looking at the kickstarter page, there were only 7 updates in 2017 and actually 10 this year
    however, the content of those updates has definitely been lacking (especially since joe posted that the book copy had been approved back in march)
    to get some semblance of closure as 2018 comes to a close, I submitted this email to Stern Pinball this morning:
    "So, what's the deal with the KICKSTARTER book? Stern took an active stance 2 years ago promoting this [official] coffee table book celebrating 30 years of Stern's pinball history with flyers and huge banners at the 2016 pinball expo in Chicago and their own party (that I purchased a ticket to attend).
    Now, over 18 months past expected delivery date, we backers still have no tentative release time line or even a sense of urgency on the part of Stern/Paperflock to complete this project and reward its backers.
    With May 2019 approaching, the book will celebrate it's 2 year anniversary at being overdue and not only has Paperflock been lax in keeping their backers updated, but Stern Pinball itself appears to have distanced themselves from the project since there's no mention of it anywhere on the official sternpinball.com website.
    As the company that partnered and promoted this project, I can't help but feel like I've been lied to and cheated out of my hard earned money and I think that some of the blame should fall on you (as a named partner) for not following through to ensure the completion of the project."
    I guess the only thing that could be worse is if the book finally does make it to press and they use all of the history info found on stern's own website

#1343 5 years ago
    Quoted from Backyardace:

If not for Sterns involvement I would have never backed it.

Seriously this wouldn't have gotten fully backed if Stern didn't endorse it.

#1344 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

Good luck getting an e-mail back. I have e-mailed their PR department with stuff ranging from Pintastic details to Project Pinball and PAX East. They never respond back....ever.

#1345 5 years ago

I bet they answer a class action lawsuit.

#1346 5 years ago
    Quoted from Backyardace:

I believe someone else posted something on their Facebook page about the book and the post was promptly deleted.

I posted this on their FB page about a month ago and it’s still there. Shows how much they update or check their FB page. D*ckheads.
    90FDD4C2-61E0-4481-AC3C-FEE68D74F424 (resized).png90FDD4C2-61E0-4481-AC3C-FEE68D74F424 (resized).png

#1347 5 years ago

I agree that given the facts that sterns names is all over this and they helped promote this mess they should step up and take some responsibility. I too would never have backed this thing if it hadn’t been clear that Stern was involved with the project and promoting it. There has to be some liability given their level of involvement.

#1348 5 years ago
    #1349 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Joe having Christmas fun in Las Vegas.
    I wonder if he stopped by the Pinball Hall of Fame or ran into Rotordave?
    [quoted image]

I would be too ashamed to post photos like that when I was 2 years behind on something. But I get than I'm an old fart and people do things different these days.

#1350 5 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

I posted this on their FB page about a month ago and it’s still there. Shows how much they update or check their FB page. D*ckheads.
    [quoted image]

"We did it"

They're just bragging on hitting his multiple vacation expenses goal.

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 60.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter/page/27?hl=spelunk71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.