Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 89 days ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 60.
    #1251 5 years ago
    8A1D0E54-762F-4A10-B96F-CD1324821D4B (resized).jpeg8A1D0E54-762F-4A10-B96F-CD1324821D4B (resized).jpeg
    #1252 5 years ago
    91CF6087-56F3-43AA-B596-89C79113339D (resized).jpeg91CF6087-56F3-43AA-B596-89C79113339D (resized).jpeg
    #1253 5 years ago

Goes around comes around joe

#1254 5 years ago

He deserves all the mockery at this point. All he had to do was make good on his promise to keep communicating, and he can't even carve out 10 minutes a week to post something for you all.

Loser.

#1255 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

He deserves all the mockery at this point. All he had to do was make good on his promise to keep communicating, and he can't even carve out 10 minutes a week month quarter to post something for you all.
    Loser.

there. I corrected that for you (even though, I had to edit my edit

#1256 5 years ago

Dear Joe,

Glad to see you and one of your interns are having a swell time. I sent you plenty of cash, so please dump that dopey shirt and get something Tommy Bahama. Thanks--looking forward to the next photo.

#1257 5 years ago

kickstarter joe (resized).jpgkickstarter joe (resized).jpg

ps
    was she one of the "stretch goals" that we backers unwittingly provided?

#1258 5 years ago

Quoted from j_m_:[quoted image]
    ps
    was she one of the "stretch goals" that we backers unwittingly provided?

He looks like a real winner!....and so professional looking. I'd hire him in minute to work for me.

#1259 5 years ago
    index.pngindex.png
    #1260 5 years ago

I believe that Stern has some responsibility in this. I can say that without their involvement and promotion of the book 2 years ago at the Chicago Pinball Expo, I would not have backed this on Kickstarter. I think best case scenario is that they should fund completing the book and satisfy the commitment since the book is about their company.
    At the very least, they should issue an apology and state they were taken for a ride just like those that backed this project.

I kept the faith for 2 years. I no longer have any for this book to be released by Joe.

#1261 5 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

If it does get funded, people will lose their money when the person goes on vacation and buys a new car.
    Don't be hornswoggled, unless the money does not matter to an individual.
    This is not a "good deal".
    Do people realize over 10-30% (category dependent) of all KS funded projects completely fail?
    The baseline average is 9% across all categories of projects.
    Those that do happen often are massive disappointments (rewards or objectives changes), or are grossly late in production by years?
    Please pass.
    I don't hate anything here in this concept, just the method of creation.
    It is just bring non logical.

Black knight called this one.

#1262 5 years ago

Red is Joe's color

Red is Joes color (resized).PNGRed is Joes color (resized).PNG
    #1263 5 years ago
    Quoted from Backyardace:

I believe that Stern has some responsibility in this. I can say that without their involvement and promotion of the book 2 years ago at the Chicago Pinball Expo, I would not have backed this on Kickstarter. I think best case scenario is that they should fund completing the book and satisfy the commitment since the book is about their company.
    At the very least, they should issue an apology and state they were taken for a ride just like those that backed this project.

How did Joe get to Stern? Did he know someone there who vouched for him? If so, who? Surely Stern didn’t help promote someone who just cold called them...he had to have a path inside.

Does Joe have a normal job or was this book his primary means of income?

#1264 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

How did Joe get to Stern? Did he know someone there who vouched for him? If so, who? Surely Stern didn’t help promote someone who just cold called them...he had to have a path inside.

There's another possibillity:
    Maybe Stern wanted to have their book made with zero financial risk and approached the Flockers?
    We shall never know for sure.

#1265 5 years ago

This just popped up in KS:

Hello Kickstarter Backers,

I know you guys are waiting for an update. I'm sorry we have been quiet this month, but I promise we have been making progress!

This is just a micro-update to let you know that we will be posting a bigger update on Monday!

Thanks for your patience, Joe and Dameon, and the Paperflock Team

#1266 5 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I know you guys are waiting for an update. I'm sorry we have been quiet this month, but I promise we have been making progress!
    This is just a micro-update to let you know that we will be posting a bigger update on Monday!

They have wi-fi on the beach!

#1267 5 years ago

Why do I get the feeling this thread will be flaming on Monday.....

#1268 5 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

why didn't you post my comment?

#1269 5 years ago

So now we're getting updates on when the real updates will be coming ..

#1270 5 years ago

Joe is looking tanned, fit and ready to really get after it! Big news on Monday!

#1271 5 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

That's him? He reminds me of Kevin K...
    But at least I "invested" 100x less in this book than in Skit-B!
    A progress of some sort I suppose.

The first thing I thought too. Like Kevin, just looking at that photo I can tell what a lazy slacker with questionable integrity he must have.

#1272 5 years ago

Watch the Kickstarter video again and be as confused as I am about how Stern can stay silent on this BS

https://vimeo.com/187289878

#1273 5 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Joe, I know you read this, so I am going to give you some unsolicited advice in an effort to try and help you.

- Don't write updates like this. It has no substance and contains the same promise you have already broken to your customers. This is poor PR.

- Understand that you currently owe your customers something. These aren't customers outside a closed store on Black Friday waiting to spend their money, they've already spent it with you. If you can't deliver their goods in a timely manner the LEAST you owe them is constant communication. Fix this ASAP by putting a 1 hour appointment on your calendar every Friday. End the week by crafting a message to your backers that gives them at least 1-2 points of accomplishment for the previous 7 days and an understanding of what you will be tackling over the next 7 days until the next update. This will be painful for you sometimes, as the truth isn't always the easiest to tell, but your customers deserve that.

- Become more transparent. Open up about things a company wouldn't normally open up about regarding their design/layout process and the progress they are making. Show some raw photos as you are working on them and get people excited again. You've worn down the hype due to delays and broken promises.

- Put in the raw hours. If you aren't personally putting in 50 hours a week on this project you aren't doing enough. It doesn't matter what other obligations you have. You are screwing up by not putting in the hours.

These all come from a place of trying to help you to become successful at these ventures, not tear you down. If you really want to be an entrepreneur pull your pants up and do the hard parts. It only takes 20% effort to get 80% done but that last 20% takes 80% of the effort.

In my day job I end up being brought in with escalated customers a lot, and after 15 years of it I still dread every single one of those calls/meetings. The hard parts never get easier to swallow but you have to do them to be successful.

#1274 5 years ago

Like my $150 ornament? #mostexpensiveornamentever

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#1275 5 years ago

I liked it so much I bought 2 of them...have one not even opened *RARE* (I know your jealous j_m_

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#1276 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

I liked it so much I bought 2 of them...have one not even opened *RARE* (I know your jealous j_m_
    [quoted image]

yeah, that's it. just rub it in that I didn't even get my $325 cardboard xmas ornament

#1277 5 years ago
    Joe and his respectable associate (resized).PNGJoe and his respectable associate (resized).PNG
    #1278 5 years ago

Well that’s two guys that know how to f**k someone over....

#1280 5 years ago

See post 2300 in the "Let's close this thread down" thread for the latest Joe update....

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-close-this-thread-down/page/46#post-4714974

#1281 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

See post 2300 in the "Let's close this thread down" thread for the latest Joe update....
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-close-this-thread-down/page/46#post-4714974

Link didn’t work. It said I didn’t have access.

#1282 5 years ago

Link works fine...

#1283 5 years ago
    Quoted from Backyardace:

Link didn’t work. It said I didn’t have access.

You must have the basement blocked. Unblock it or post to moderator thread.

#1284 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

You must have the basement blocked. Unblock it or post to moderator thread.

That fixed it. Thanks!

#1285 5 years ago

Joe, today is the day you promised a substantial update for your backers. I hope you woke up ready to deliver.

If the update hasn't already been written, reviewed, edited, and waiting for you just to push the send button, you are already behind.

#1286 5 years ago
    F23DAE18-1CEE-48C5-BCF2-3F4FC8108015 (resized).jpegF23DAE18-1CEE-48C5-BCF2-3F4FC8108015 (resized).jpeg
    #1287 5 years ago

There's no way today's announcement isn't just some regurgitation of the past ones.

#1288 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

There's no way today's announcement isn't just some regurgitation of the past ones.

We are working hard.
    Progress has been made.
    We are excited.
    We hired someone to do something.
    Stern gave us information that we just have to include in the book.
    Almost done writing the text.
    Another cardboard ornament will be mailed.
    We will post updates every week from now on.

#1289 5 years ago

Still on schedule for Christmas 2019.
    Andrew Macbain hired to take over PR so updates come quicker.

#1290 5 years ago

Just got an update:

I know it has been a while since the last update, I can promise you A LOT has been happening over here!

We have been running clipping masks, color correction, and retouching on hundreds and hundreds of files! And I have a layout to show you!

We are still adding captions and doing small layout tweaks, but as you can see every page of this book represents a considerable amount of work!

Many coffee table books have one picture on most pages, but we didn't feel that represented these amazing machines properly. As you can see each of our pages can be made up of many many elements, this one has 30 separate images in a 2 page layout! We are cramming as much information into these pages as we can while still respecting the amazing art.

So what's the schedule like?

We are hoping to finish the layout this year!

And get it off to Stern for Approval.

After that there will be a (hopefully short) revision process.

And once that is approved, we are off to the printers!

I know this has been a long road, much longer than we anticipated ourselves to be honest, but we are very near the finish, and I know we are making the best pinball book we have ever seen!

0126D241-5047-4822-8CB6-E4DAE9FB321D (resized).png0126D241-5047-4822-8CB6-E4DAE9FB321D (resized).png
    #1291 5 years ago

I was going to comment on kickstarter, but I really don't see the point. if he considers taking 30 elements!!! from the stern asset discs (as he's joyfully stated) and slapping them on a spread, this man doesn't have a fucking clue what he's doing. some one the age of 8 could have done this (and probably have done a better job

there was no thought involved whatsoever in taking a bunch of stock images and just resizing them so that fit on a 2-page layout

but wait! the layout guy did overlay 2 of the elements over an image of the playfield. I'll bet that took him a week to do

seriously, the one guy that did comment on this update said "looks great, I can't wait!"

and as for his comment of "I know that we are making the best pinball book that we've ever seen", he might as well as stated "the best book that he's ever seen" because it's obvious he's never looked at any books (even comic books, which have much better layouts

#1292 5 years ago

I just want the book at this point. Dear God help us if Stern nitpicks it during approval.

#1293 5 years ago

I think the layout looks fine, only so much you can do without either displaying fewer pictures or having an overlapping mess. I get the frustration though, the delay and lack of communication has burned so much goodwill that some people aren't going to be happy no matter what ends up getting delivered.

#1294 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

if he considers taking 30 elements!

I literally could have done that layout in ten minutes.

#1295 5 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

I literally could have done that layout in ten minutes.

Whilst laying on a Caribbean beach with your laptop after you saw the sh*tstorm brewing on Pinside about your lack of progress.

#1296 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I was going to comment on kickstarter, but I really don't see the point. if he considers taking 30 elements!!! from the stern asset discs (as he's joyfully stated) and slapping them on a spread, this man doesn't have a fucking clue what he's doing. some one the age of 8 could have done this (and probably have done a better job
    there was no thought involved whatsoever in taking a bunch of stock images and just resizing them so that fit on a 2-page layout
    but wait! the layout guy did overlay 2 of the elements over an image of the playfield. I'll bet that took him a week to do
    seriously, the one guy that did comment on this update said "looks great, I can't wait!"
    and as for his comment of "I know that we are making the best pinball book that we've ever seen", he might as well as stated "the best book that he's ever seen" because it's obvious he's never looked at any books (even comic books, which have much better layouts

It is a very amateurish layout, but I didn't want to be bitchy and point that out after demonstrating how bad their "photo retouching" skills are in the book sample. So, since you said it - I agree.

#1297 5 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

I think the layout looks fine, only so much you can do without either displaying fewer pictures or having an overlapping mess.

You can do a LOT more long before it becomes a mess. The visual interest just isn't there.

#1298 5 years ago
    Quoted from KLR2014:

We are hoping to finish the layout this year!

"Hope"....

Joe Hopes (resized).PNGJoe Hopes (resized).PNG
    #1299 5 years ago
    Quoted from KLR2014:

but we are very near the finish

IMG_4793 (resized).JPGIMG_4793 (resized).JPG
    #1300 5 years ago
    There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 60.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter/page/26?hl=spelunk71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.