Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 63 days ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 60.
    #1101 5 years ago

What is everyone going to do with the book if and when they get it?

#1102 5 years ago

----

#1103 5 years ago
    Quoted from puck:

I’m gonna flip mine—figure I can get at least $30 for it. Plus shipping, of course...

#1104 5 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

I’m gonna flip mine—figure I can get at least $30 for it. Plus shipping, of course...

Why not sell your spot and get $50 ... it works for the crazy TNA prices on Pinside

#1105 5 years ago
    Quoted from puck:

Read it for 30 minutes then put it on the bookshelf. I'll probably have spent more time in this thread, lol.

#1106 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Read it for 30 minutes then put it on the bookshelf. I'll probably have spent more time in this thread, lol.

I was told there would be no reading required.........

#1107 5 years ago

Mine is going to to make a sweet coffee table!

#1108 5 years ago
    Quoted from puck:

Those ordering Pinball Magazine No. 5 will put Pinball Magazine No. 5 aside, take a look at the Stern book, put it away and continue reading in Pinball Magazine No. 5 Then again, it may still take so much more time that people by then have finished reading Pinball Magazine No. 5, although that will take a while as it is the biggest issue so far. Who knows, Pinball Magazine No. 6 may be out by then (and I'm in no rush to get started on that one), although I do hope the book will finished and delivered by then (or a lot sooner).

#1109 5 years ago

keeping the book alive

#1110 5 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Those ordering Pinball Magazine No. 5 will put Pinball Magazine No. 5 aside, take a look at the Stern book, put it away and continue reading in Pinball Magazine No. 5

Don't you mean Pinball Magazine #8?

2 weeks later
    #1111 5 years ago

Another crazy thing about this KS is it was announced about when Donald Trump became president. Like I sorta want to keep a tally of stuff that has transpired waiting for this book to come out like Duke Nukem Forever. Meanwhile I backed around this Spring the Fireball Island Remake and Street Fighter Boardgame. So with Street Fighter there is over a dozen large GI Joe sized 3D printed characters that are coming with it. Not entirely sure what they are shipping it in like Fireball but it has to be a crate. They got well over a million dollars and hundreds of thousands of orders for these games. Well they are releasing videos of the marbles being made, playfields vacuum formed, etc. They are collecting inventory and are getting ready to ship hundreds and thousands of these games soon. Meanwhile this coffee table book which I hope is like a Bible now is still struggling to have it's content laid out 2 years later. Gross mismanagement much? Look at this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/restorationgames/fireball-island-80s-board-game-reignited-and-resto That is WAY harder to pull off! Wayyyy more can go wrong! Yet they got funded and are releasing within the same year of finishing the KS. Like mind blown.

#1112 5 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Another crazy thing about this KS is it was announced about when Donald Trump became president. Like I sorta want to keep a tally of stuff that has transpired waiting for this book to come out like Duke Nukem Forever. Meanwhile I backed around this Spring the Fireball Island Remake and Street Fighter Boardgame. So with Street Fighter there is over a dozen large GI Joe sized 3D printed characters that are coming with it. Not entirely sure what they are shipping it in like Fireball but it has to be a crate. They got well over a million dollars and hundreds of thousands of orders for these games. Well they are releasing videos of the marbles being made, playfields vacuum formed, etc. They are collecting inventory and are getting ready to ship hundreds and thousands of these games soon. Meanwhile this coffee table book which I hope is like a Bible now is still struggling to have it's content laid out 2 years later. Gross mismanagement much? Look at this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/restorationgames/fireball-island-80s-board-game-reignited-and-resto That is WAY harder to pull off! Wayyyy more can go wrong! Yet they got funded and are releasing within the same year of finishing the KS. Like mind blown.

I also backed the Fireball Island Remake. It looks awesome! I can't wait to play it at Christmas!

#1113 5 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I also backed the Fireball Island Remake. It looks awesome! I can't wait to play it at Christmas!

To be honest it's looking earlier than that even like Thanksgiving.

#1114 5 years ago

I backed fireball island as well, can't wait.

#1115 5 years ago

Bummer--I thought maybe Joe had re-surfaced...

#1116 5 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

That thing looks awesome. F*ck it, I want to pull my money from Paperf*ck and give it to these guys.

#1117 5 years ago

I’m very excited for Fireball Island as well.

Still have the original game.

#1118 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I’m very excited for Fireball Island as well.
    Still have the original game.

Apparently an original with all the pieces and cards is worth quite a bit of coin. They sell on eBay

#1119 5 years ago

Got a book about pinball. Signed for no extra charge!!! Looking forward to reading this over the next few days! Thanks unigroove

2026E53E-FA61-4CD5-A921-6437561FD6D8 (resized).jpeg2026E53E-FA61-4CD5-A921-6437561FD6D8 (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #1120 5 years ago

Who knew that a book about pinball would take longer than most pinball machines to make? I’m guessing the book is not going to be the 30th anniversary book, since that is so 2 year’s ago?

Is anyone from Paperflock attending the Chicago Pinball Expo?

#1121 5 years ago

Since Pinball Magazine No. 5 is finished and available, I'm available as well. Maybe Stern should hire me to finish their book? As all the editing supposedly is already done, it should be like a walk in the park to get it over the finish line.

#1122 5 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Since Pinball Magazine No. 5 is finished and available, I'm available as well. Maybe Stern should hire me to finish their book? As all the editing supposedly is already done, it should be like a walk in the park to get it over the finish line.

You have my vote

#1123 5 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

DEFINITELY have my vote!

#1124 5 years ago

Once their new unpaid interns are trained in how to create a book, the Stern35 should be full steam ahead.

#1125 5 years ago

Never to soon to start planning for Stern 50!

#1126 5 years ago

I wonder if Paperflock would pay Jon or would he have to pay them to work for them?

#1127 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I wonder if Paperflock would pay Jon or would he have to pay them to work for them?

With what money? I'd wager to guess everything except the money to pay for the printing is gone at this point.

#1128 5 years ago

Sounds like we need a new Kickstarter to hire Jonathan to finish the book.

#1129 5 years ago

Well Todd Tuckey has written 1 of 10 pinball books. It will be interesting to see how many he publishes before this one is out.

#1130 5 years ago

So it has been nearly two years since I backed this project and I have continued to hold out hope. However, I think one comment in the last update really stands out.

“In my opinion there has never been a pinball book like this before”

In my opinion their still hasn’t. Please Joe, make PaperFlock great again!

#1131 5 years ago

step away from the kool-aid punchbowl @backyardace

unless joe is planning on attending expo with thousands of dollars to refund backers, I think that he might be wise to avoid the show

#1132 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

step away from the kool-aid punchbowl backyardace
    unless joe is planning on attending expo with thousands of dollars to refund backers, I think that he might be wise to avoid the show

Someone might take a picture of his backside...

#1133 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

step away from the kool-aid punchbowl backyardace

Lol. I should have backed the 12” Centipede arcade machines. They cost less and people actually received them this month.

#1134 5 years ago
    Quoted from Backyardace:

Lol. I should have backed the 12” Centipede arcade machines. They cost less and people actually received them this month.

Still waiting for ours :-/

#1135 5 years ago

Every time there is a new post, I check expecting (well...hoping--actually) to hear from Joe. Joe said he was back for good (you know...he promised this several times come to think of it), and he always delivers (hmmm...that may not be exactly correct, either), so I'm still waiting to see his post. Maybe the interns require a lot of supervision, or he is just busy--or something...

#1136 5 years ago

posted this to the kickstarter page today:

kickstarter post (resized).jpgkickstarter post (resized).jpg

to any other backers planning on attending the chicago pinball expo next month, I say we meet @ twin peaks thursday evening around 6pm and commiserate over a few cold ones (or smoke cigars and all pretend that we're like ted who has now put out 3 books in a year's less time

#1137 5 years ago

Joe doesn't even know what an Expo is.....

#1138 5 years ago

I like how the fireball island kickstarter guys (Restoration Games) are updating their backers on the shipment of board games coming from Asia.

They even provided a link to the Hapag-Lloyd container ship.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:152324/mmsi:218352000/vessel:BUDAPEST%20EXPRESS

Makes JoeDP and his ilk look like rank amateurs.

#1139 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

posted this to the kickstarter page today:
    [quoted image]
    to any other backers planning on attending the chicago pinball expo next month, I say we meet @ twin peaks thursday evening around 6pm and commiserate over a few cold ones (or smoke cigars and all pretend that we're like ted who has now put out 3 books in a year's less time

It's not there. Did he have it taken down or does it take awhile for the post to show?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paperflock/keeping-the-ball-alive-30-years-of-stern-pinball/comments

#1140 5 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Makes JoeDP and his ilk look like rank amateurs.

Actually, they look like professionals. Professional thieves that is...

#1141 5 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

It's not there. Did he have it taken down or does it take awhile for the post to show?
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paperflock/keeping-the-ball-alive-30-years-of-stern-pinball/comments

Found! See below:

#1142 5 years ago

So they log into kickstarter to censor backer comments but don't don't log in to give updates?

#Priorities

#1144 5 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

he removed it (or stern did). based on how everyone was getting their comments removed on facebook, it wouldn't surprise me either way

edit:
    actually my last 2 comments are under their last update
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paperflock/keeping-the-ball-alive-30-years-of-stern-pinball/posts/2265553

#1145 5 years ago

You could ask/complain to PaperFlock (and possibly Stern) on Twitter - that way they cannot delete the tweet.

#1146 5 years ago
    Quoted from ausretrogamer:

You could ask/complain to PaperFlock (and possibly Stern) on Twitter - that way they cannot delete the tweet.

Pretty dead twitter, I doubt anyone sees it, including PaperFlock. You're better off tweeting Stern.

#1147 5 years ago

I would have loved to attend stern's seminar @ expo and raise my concerns, however I just noticed that their time slot is 8pm on saturday which is pretty much after everyone, including myself will have had their fill and left the show

my guess is that george won't have that much to say otherwise they would vied for an earlier spot during the show (I could have sworn that in the past, stern and jjp both have always had their time slots on thursday

#1148 5 years ago

When is the last time Stern promoted this project with banners or anything? I wonder if they were paid to promote the project...would be disappointing if Stern was paid to promote this project at our expense.

#1149 5 years ago

it will have been 2 years ago @ expo (right before the kickstarter ended). they not only promoted it at the hotel (w/ banners) but there was also a lot of signage @ the stern party and I believe that both gary and george were pushing it during their speeches

but I think that you're right @tigerlaw, it kind of has that feeling that stern was getting a kickback of some sort for the promoting of it

#1150 5 years ago

Since Stern has to ok everything, (edit out anything they don't like), they just should have done the book themselves! I could have had this book out a year and a half ago!

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 60.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter/page/23?hl=ausretrogamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.