Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 86 days ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 60.
    #1001 5 years ago

thanks hool10

wtf is joe providing these promised monthly updates?!?

#1002 5 years ago
    Quoted from toddtuckey:

Looks like our Pinball Adventures Volume 1 will be out mid August...and we would love to have Volume two out for signings at the Pinball Expo in Chicago--my team will be there too (publisher). We realize it would be a long shot for that, as it is tentatively planned for December release.

I don't suppose there's an International shipping arrangement in place as yet?

I'm willing to stand as the trial case of how many volumes I can receive in Australia before I get my Kickstarter pledge fulfilled.

#1003 5 years ago

They got a CD from Stern now. So hurray?.....

#1004 5 years ago

What is gonna show up first, a sighting of a Model 3 or this book?

#1005 5 years ago

Update:

The CD Archive!!!
    Posted by PaperFlock Inc (Creator)
    Hello Backers!

We are making great progress in design and have just had the opportunity to dive into Stern's highly guarded CD archive!

This is a really big deal, they are making a huge gesture of trust and dedicating time from their staff to make sure this book looks amazing!

Below is a tiny taste of what we have found in there.

Thank you all for your support and patience, Joe and Dameon, the Paperflock team

74177090-3160-46AE-809E-E94533E90D99 (resized).png74177090-3160-46AE-809E-E94533E90D99 (resized).pngC12A773A-8532-44BB-8F35-4ABE7D7BA854 (resized).pngC12A773A-8532-44BB-8F35-4ABE7D7BA854 (resized).png
    #1006 5 years ago

hey, let's go back to the archives and restart the book.

Wasn't Stern "on board" with this from the start? With editorial control? So why the 11th hour offering of images?

I'm looking forward to Todd's books more and more now. How many can he deliver before the Stern book?

#1007 5 years ago
    Quoted from KLR2014:

Update:
    The CD Archive!!!
    Posted by PaperFlock Inc (Creator)
    Hello Backers!
    We are making great progress in design and have just had the opportunity to dive into Stern's highly guarded CD archive!
    This is a really big deal, they are making a huge gesture of trust and dedicating time from their staff to make sure this book looks amazing!
    Below is a tiny taste of what we have found in there.
    Thank you all for your support and patience, Joe and Dameon, the Paperflock team

Are we supposed to be excited because they are still gathering info for this book, or concerned because they are still gathering info for this long overdue book?

#1008 5 years ago
    Quoted from phillymadison:

They got a CD from Stern now. So hurray?.....

A cease and desist?

#1009 5 years ago

Aerosmith, Star Wars, Guardians of the Galaxy and Iron Maiden have all been released since this book started. Also 4 vault/home edition models...

#1010 5 years ago

I probably shouldn't comment on this, but didn't the update of 2 months ago indicate that it would be 8 weeks for the designer of the book to be done with the design? And now there is new artwork available?

As for the CD archive: aren't those WNBJM images also on the Whizbang website? I thought for a second you had access to the CD archive that contains files from the early games. WNBJM was only a few years ago. can't believe they actually still used CDs at that time. You'd think it be all hard drives by then.

#1011 5 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

A cease and desist?

Complete and Distribute.

#1012 5 years ago

Posted May 8, 2018:

Quoted from JoeDP:

I know time frame is the big question right now.

We believe the design process will be around 8 weeks for a book this size.

The content is collected.

The story is written.

The people are in place.

And we are excited about finishing this project in the best way we can.

It's insane to me that an update 2 months after the above was posted doesn't address what should be the final steps before printing, but talks getting assets.

#1013 5 years ago

When will these books ship? The delay is beyond any excuse they can come up with at this point. Looks like complete incompetence to me.

#1014 5 years ago

It’s obvious this thing is no where near done. The pin community has been strung along, and taken advantage of. If toddtuckey can get a book deal consummated and finished in a few months time....really makes these guys look bad.

#1015 5 years ago

Well either he was working on the last few months finishing up the other Kickstarter and then started working on the Stern book or, like Gomez said he just expanded the book a lot to include Data East, etc. Would like communication.

#1016 5 years ago

I think the Flockers should hold things off just a little longer until Elvira 3 is out...

#1017 5 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

I think the Flockers should hold things off just a little longer until Elvira 3 is out...

If we're expanding the scope to Data East, let's expand to Stern's competitors to get a complete picture of Stern's journey! Why not expand to Deeproot and just release a bigger book next Fall? A homebrew chapter would be cool, too, let's add that and delay it some more!

In showbiz, these moves would be called vamping.

#1018 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

If we're expanding the scope to Data East, let's expand to Stern's competitors to get a complete picture of Stern's journey! Why not expand to Deeproot and just release a bigger book next Fall? A homebrew chapter would be cool, too, let's add that and delay it some more!
    In showbiz, these moves would be called vamping.

Good idea. Here’s the first proof...

2D0886E1-D36E-4BB1-9C8F-71153106955F (resized).jpeg2D0886E1-D36E-4BB1-9C8F-71153106955F (resized).jpeg
    #1019 5 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Good idea. Here’s the first proof...

Does that still qualify for media mail?

#1020 5 years ago

Maybe it's not a coffee table book anymore but like a big book now?

#1021 5 years ago

Maybe it's no book now....

#1022 5 years ago

Maybe it's 10 books with Todd Tuckey narrating...

#1023 5 years ago

Will Iron Maiden be in the book? ....Asking for a friend.

#1024 5 years ago

Ironic a book about the only company that ships games quickly is on a shipping timeline of all its competitors...

#1025 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Maybe it's no book now....

Maybe just a digital download now??

#1026 5 years ago

They should get started on the "deeproot 30th anniversary" book today.

#1027 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

They should get started on the "deeproot 30th anniversary" book today.

I'm sure that joe will be back in 30 days to announce it (along with a 50th year anniversary book for Jersey Jack and Spooky

#1028 5 years ago

This thread is still running

#1029 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

This thread is still running

yes, the general consensus is that we've accomplished more here than paperflock has (and that's not saying much

#1030 5 years ago

Maybe we should take a leaf out of Dutch Pinball’s book and start a GoFundMe to fund PaperFlock hiring someone to actually write the book.

#1031 5 years ago

Acquiring necessary source material two years later should not inspire confidence by anyone.

The key word is necessary, not optional. This is not how to publish a book or even conduct research to begin to write a book of 30 years of history. This also contradicts the statements previously made with final progress. It took me a nearly a year to get the full 10 years of design history for my Ted Zale transcript and finish it.

Detailed source material is the second step after developing an outline structure and basic transcript (by whomever, contracted or otherwise). Photos, promotional trade media, and development sketches provides depth of study into the topic in question, as it was not covering games since 2010, but 1987. You cannot have a final layout without this stock material. So, which is it? Why does it take two years get material needed that was supported by Stern? This is ass backwards, not logical, and shows lack of concern on behalf of all parties involved. The answer is the layout is not finished, photos not selected, and material remains under review for not revision but inclusion.

toddtuckey will have released all his book volumes by the time this freight train boxcar continues on its shaky rails, if not derailed sooner.
    I hate seeing people waste money on things they are passionate in learning about only to be disappointed.

#1032 5 years ago

maybe I should start a kickstarter to fund tracking down joe and the rest of the paperflock team so that we can bring them to expo this year for a public flogging

#1033 5 years ago

How many people would get a refund if they could?

#1034 5 years ago

I tried to numerous times, but haven't been successful

#1035 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I tried to numerous times, but haven't been successful

Pretty much a sure sign their $$$ has already dried up. It wouldn't surprise me to see this go down the same path as other Kickstarters and soon start to hear about some sort of other fundraising in a last-ditch effort to get more money for the project.

#1036 5 years ago

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, "had I known the sh!tsh*w that this would become, my $300+ (yep, I was dumb enough to sign in for one of those top tiers) would have been better off buying complete strangers a round at the local bar"

given stern's involvement in this, I believe that they should be held accountable as well to some degree

#1037 5 years ago

Joe DP will come and post one of his usual excuses. Soon after almost everyone who's in will thank him for the update and tell him to keep up the good work...

#1038 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

had I known the sh!tsh*w that this would become, my $300+ would have been better off buying complete strangers a round at the local bar

It's not too late to salvage at least that much. I'll meet you at the bar and we can commiserate about the loss of your money. I prefer Russian imperial stouts.

If you'd like to upgrade to a higher tier I also drink scotch and bourbon.

#1039 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, "had I known the sh!tsh*w that this would become, my $300+ (yep, I was dumb enough to sign in for one of those top tiers) would have been better off buying complete strangers a round at the local bar"
    given stern's involvement in this, I believe that they should be held accountable as well to some degree

I drink Bourbon, but I would be hard pressed on a good night to do more than 3 $20 pours. See you at the next show, you can buy the first round

#1040 5 years ago

This and a couple other failed kickstarters have turned me completely off from ever pre-buying into anything. There just isn't enough accountability in the process.

#1041 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I drink Bourbon, but I would be hard pressed on a good night to do more than 3 $20 pours. See you at the next show, you can buy the first round

I believe that it's you that probably owes me a drink or two mister

#1042 5 years ago
    KS_stern_laughing (resized).pngKS_stern_laughing (resized).png
    #1043 5 years ago

Time for a lawsuit....

#1044 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Time for a lawsuit....

unfortunately, due to the way that kickstarter is set up there is no legal option against paperflock through kickstarter itself
    and as we all know with a lawsuit, the only people who make money are the lawyers. we'd be lucky to come away with a slice of pizza each after the legal fees are paid

I still like the idea of kidnapping joe and bringing him to expo to face a jury of his peers for his [lack of] actions

#1045 5 years ago

Speaking of Joe...he hasn't disappeared on us again, has he?

#1046 5 years ago

removed

1 week later
    #1047 5 years ago

64 days now since an update. so much for even bi-monthly updates, eh?

#1048 5 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

This and a couple other failed kickstarters have turned me completely off from ever pre-buying into anything. There just isn't enough accountability in the process.

Meh. I still support KS occasionally. Some work, some don't. I look at it more buying into the POTENTIAL for a cool thing to be made. But yeah, this particular one seems extremely amateurish. It's like they don't have any idea what the flow for making a book should be. At all. And that "photo restoring" - yeesh. So bad.

#1049 5 years ago

I think I found who should have written the book in the "Stern Nabs Godzilla" thread. Frippertron really gave a nice, concise history here:

Quoted from Frippertron:

People forget that at one time Gary Stern and his old man were the "little guy". The reason so few classic Stern Electronics games exist (with a couple exceptions) is not because people didn't like them, but Bally cock blocked them every chance they got. Bally wouldn't give operators deals if they bought Stern machines. Talk about screwing someone over! Gary Stern fought back eventually forming Data East, which was seen as a second class producer. Despite this, they found a way to acquire great licenses and grow. Data East becomes Sega and Sega becomes Stern. Gary went from second class citizen to top of the pinball heap with hard work and I'm sure a little ruthlessness. He took his lumps and i'm sure Charlie Emery will come back stronger with every minor setback he experiences as long as he perseveres and thinks outside the box.

#1050 5 years ago

Ok I got a solid (I hope) for you folks. So I went to my first Pinburgh ever and it won't be my last! They had all sorts of people there including the man himself, Gary Stern! Yeah.... ugh....WOW! Meeting him was fun because even though I'm 30, I lean more towards EM and SS. The sort of era that Gary grew up on so we had this mutual connection as a Cheetah was playing behind us. I tried to convince Keith Elwin and T-Sex to make a more current family friendly theme like Daft Punk. Don't get me wrong, I'm a sucker for Iron Maiden music and Marvel, etc but Daft Punk is more for a younger audience while still not too young. I was told it's really not up to Gary surprisingly enough but Jody Dankberg and Dave Peterson with their team of marketers/licensors to choose the next game. Well that was interesting. So while that Cheetah was being played and this also came up during Keith Elwins panel is we want the old school SS street level games that Stern put out back in the good ol' days. We want that Nine Ball, Cheetah and oh-my-God-it's-epic-QUICKSILVER. No licensing needed just modernize it and BAM I would even buy it I told Gary. He agreed like Keith but wouldn't say anything more about it.

Anyways I brought up the book. I told him that I'm so sorry for the whole Trudeau situation because well people who work in this industry know each others families and have worked with each other for years and sometimes decades. I told him that I understand that delayed the book. I also told him that I know he wants to be certain the book does a terrific job to tell his family's company history as well as current and it's why it may be taking a long time to be made. However I told him that the lack of updates is just inexcusable. He told me he knows about the book and so does Gomez. They are both (and I'm assuming it's not just them) also think the lack of updates is inexcusable. He was actually pretty angry how it has been handled so far like us. He knows the book has taken far too long to be made. He promised me he would get to the bottom of it and sort it out. He also said a few weeks back he did indeed review and approve of a final draft copy of the book.

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 60.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter/page/21?hl=phat_jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.