3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,731 posts
  • 156 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by Phat_Jay
  • Topic is favorited by 54 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 143 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

8.5x11 BW 140 CM 4a FINAL (resized).jpg
    4de350223ec5f4a65dd744a81143315d13f5eff7 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20191014-082851 (resized).jpg
    F96F5F7F-E004-4227-97CE-4C7FC90BA3B8 (resized).jpeg
    Ice-Cold-FreezeOtto (resized).jpg
    12935AB1-8341-4A23-BD65-969BDE0F8CF6 (resized).jpeg
    D372D606-6750-4D00-9EC0-F4EFA1BFF7A1 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9C2AD636-36BD-4D6A-A874-8EA866DB79F6 (resized).png
    D3567EF1-8AFB-4A38-94A3-2A6E299AA4DD (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    FC0E6D9B-1F86-4FAA-9DDE-17B8013B8A43 (resized).png
    9CD930D6-29B8-415E-B261-DBC753850765 (resized).png
    5FC4F29B-70D3-4D2D-9761-77E664C547CD (resized).png
    jpopstapler (resized).jpg
    4314337112e6281868e685e7622c8d74_original (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1731 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 35.
    #951 1 year ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

Hello Everyone,
    New update just posted to kickstarter, as soon as I possibly could, as promised!
    Pasted here for your convenience:
    -------------------------------------
    Hello Kickstarter Backers!
    This last month has seen some complications, but also some great steps forward.
    First the complications: we have had additional copy revisions after we sent our final revision, but the good news is we believe we, this morning, received the final notes and are prepping the FINAL version of the text today!
    The other complication is we had to find a new graphic designer. This required a lot of searching and interviews to find someone we felt was really right for the project, but also in a budget range we could afford.
    I'm very happy to announce that just yesterday, we met with and employed a new graphic designer!
    His name is Zach Guenther and he has a small design studio here in Los Angeles called Minimaal Studio.
    You can see some of his very nice work here: https://www.minimaalstudio.com
    We talked with him for hours yesterday and previous days on the phone to make sure our aesthetics and design goals were aligned for this project.
    We talked about celebrating each machine, a design focus on the art of the games, creating a separate space to enjoy the story, and a separate space to focus on the machines.
    We really concentrated on the experience of the book, especially on repeat viewings, and I think we came to some really great design decisions that will make this book a joy to interact with again and again.
    I know time frame is the big question right now.
    We believe the design process will be around 8 weeks for a book this size.
    The content is collected.
    The story is written.
    The people are in place.
    And we are excited about finishing this project in the best way we can.
    Thank you all for your patience and cooperation, Dameon and Joe.

So since just hiring a new graphics designer. And waiting on the final text. Have they even started to put anything actually together?
    Seems like the art isn't even done. Or at least the color correction Photoshop work etc.
    For a photo heavy coffee table book.
    That's not a good sign.

I will be awaiting this book with baited breath.

#952 1 year ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

No, we signed on a graphic designer as soon as the project funding was successful.
    This graphic designer has become largely unavailable.
    So as I said in the post "The other complication is we had to find a new graphic designer".
    No money was lost on the switch between designers.
    And we are now in a good place to finish the book in a very strong way.

That's what I tell my customers.....

#953 1 year ago

350 (resized).png

1 week later
    #954 1 year ago

Anybody hear the latest Slam Tilt Podcast? Hahaha ohhh man.

#955 1 year ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Anybody hear the latest Slam Tilt Podcast? Hahaha ohhh man.

Can someone summarize?

#956 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Can someone summarize?

The whole situation is a joke. The book is a snoozefest. No one (Noone) wants it anymore.

#957 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

No one (Noone) wants it anymore

I'm not no one

#958 1 year ago

I'd like what I paid for.

#959 1 year ago

I just want a refund at this point. had I known the sh*tshow that this was going to turn into for something as simple as a book, I would have been better off buying a round for the patrons at the local tavern

at least that way I would have seen what I spent my money on

#960 1 year ago

I paid and still expect a book.. someday.. I have patience.

#961 1 year ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

I'm not no one

I've also seen the movie Hollywood Knights.....

#962 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I've also seen the movie Hollywood Knights.....

VOOOOO-LARE!!! Pffftt! Whoa, oh, oh, ohhhh!!

28A7EE4E-93FE-4E7A-9F47-1515569CE752.gif

#963 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

The whole situation is a joke. The book is a snoozefest. No one (Noone) wants it anymore.

They've seen it? That is depressing to read, but I'd really like to have the book anyway since I've paid in, even if it is nothing more than photos of games with information such as was included when they were doing those game reviews for their 30th anniversary for batman 66.

#964 1 year ago

Post removed, over it.

#965 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

They've seen it? That is depressing to read, but I'd really like to have the book anyway since I've paid in, even if it is nothing more than photos of games with information such as was included when they were doing those game reviews for their 30th anniversary for batman 66.

According to Joe the book isn't even put together yet.

#966 1 year ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

We believe the design process will be around 8 weeks for a book this size.

8 weeks. That's 2 weeks times 4.

#967 1 year ago
    Quoted from Travish:

8 weeks. That's 2 weeks times 4.

Hold on...graphing...

#968 1 year ago

facebook update today, but I noticed that joe has been avoiding pinside altogether (again)

#969 1 year ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

facebook update today, but I noticed that joe has been avoiding pinside altogether (again)

I'm here. Just have a lot on my plate right now.

#970 1 year ago

Here is the update that was posted on Kickstarter:

Hello Kickstarter backers!

Our new designer shared his mockup for the first 27 pages with us today!

The designs look great, and we're looking forward to sharing samples with you soon.

On another note, the photo retouching is going really well too. We are most of the way through retouching the photos for the "story" section of the book. These are the older photos and require the most retouching/editing so this is a good accomplishment.

Here is a sample of some retouching:

Thank you all for your support looking forward to getting the book done!

Retouching (resized).jpg

#971 1 year ago

Is that Sam Stern?

#972 1 year ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Is that Sam Stern?

Yes it is.

#973 1 year ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

Here is the update that was posted on Kickstarter:
    Hello Kickstarter backers!
    Our new designer shared his mockup for the first 27 pages with us today!
    The designs look great, and we're looking forward to sharing samples with you soon.
    On another note, the photo retouching is going really well too. We are most of the way through retouching the photos for the "story" section of the book. These are the older photos and require the most retouching/editing so this is a good accomplishment.
    Here is a sample of some retouching:
    Thank you all for your support looking forward to getting the book done!

Colors on the corrected pic look way off. He looks like he has a sunburn in the corrected version, and he obviously didn't in the original. With more natural fleshtone correction, the curtains are gold, which is more likely for that era. I quickly re-did parts of it (top) the original is center, and your correction is bottom.

sternbook-pic (resized).jpg

#974 1 year ago

Much better....I was going to do that myself...

#975 1 year ago

Hmmm...maybe Joe shoulda hired you, vireland : )

#976 1 year ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

Hmmm...maybe Joe shoulda hired you, vireland : )

Uh...no. I have plenty of my own work to do. I had a really crappy surgery recovery around the turn of the year that put me way behind on everything except chatting up pinball and rufffling feathers occasionally, which doesn't pay.

I was just showing what was possible with not a lot of work or time, and that whoever is doing the color correction is likely very inexperienced and/or not up to the task if they think that sample is a good example.

#977 1 year ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Much better....I was going to do that myself...

Yeah, but Gary would have been pissed if his dad had a gash on his head and blood running out of his eyes. You can't be trusted with normal.

#978 1 year ago

I was going to roll my eyes and say that people are picky (I just want the book in my hands haha) but I actually like vireland version. The trick to cleaning up photos is to remove tears, dust, etc but not "improving" or changing that moment in time. Like for example the chair in vireland version is a much richer black and in the altered version it's got a tinge of everything red.

#979 1 year ago
    Quoted from hool10:

I was going to roll my eyes and say that people are picky (I just want the book in my hands haha) but I actually like vireland version. The trick to cleaning up photos is to remove tears, dust, etc but not "improving" or changing that moment in time. Like for example the chair in vireland version is a much richer black and in the altered version it's got a tinge of everything red.

vireland does this crap for a living, when needed. And just to be clear, I spent maybe 10 minutes cleaning up the sample I did, just to show the direction it SHOULD have taken. It could look even better with more time spent.

The problem with the correction sample he showed is the color correction was WRONG which affected everything in the picture negatively, so it made Sam ruddy-looking and made his chair look brown rather than black and the curtains look orange. The seam in the chair was also erased, which is wrong.

I did, however, take a smidge of artistic license in that the white spot on his lips is most-likely from the flash, but it looks better without it, so I removed that.

#980 1 year ago

Life without Kickstarter and a high personal amount of motivation. He even took his own photos.

IMG_20180521_175623 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
    #981 1 year ago

on this week in pinball, it was announced that todd tuckey is releasing not 1, but 10 pinball books, each 200+ pages.
    https://www.pinballbuzz.com/product-category/regular-pinball-adventures/

anyone want to bet how many of this 10 book series make it to market before the stern kickstarter does? the first volume is due out in sep, the 2nd in dec

#982 1 year ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

on this week in pinball, it was announced that todd tuckey is releasing not 1, but 10 pinball books, each 200+ pages.
    https://www.pinballbuzz.com/product-category/regular-pinball-adventures/
    anyone want to bet how many of this 10 book series make it to market before the stern kickstarter does? the first volume is due out in sep, the 2nd in dec

At least two.

#985 1 year ago
    Quoted from vireland:

Yeah, but Gary would have been pissed if his dad had a gash on his head and blood running out of his eyes. You can't be trusted with normal.

Almost true. Besides film, I too do graphics. My second job/hobby is publishing. As many of you here have seen my books and magazines. Between myself and Viredude this puppy would have been done eons ago!

spfx_10_front_back (resized).jpg
    #986 1 year ago

Looks like our Pinball Adventures Volume 1 will be out mid August...and we would love to have Volume two out for signings at the Pinball Expo in Chicago--my team will be there too (publisher). We realize it would be a long shot for that, as it is tentatively planned for December release.

#987 1 year ago

Perhaps your team could contact the P-Flockers and give them some tips...

#988 1 year ago

Well, I know that my publisher had seven people on my project that he has paid...and many hours of their time. So it takes quite a bit of money to get a project like this going. And I have spent hours and hours writing for over two months when the project started.

#989 1 year ago

If I can do anything to help, please let me know...

#990 1 year ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

If I can do anything to help, please let me know...

Maybe take a picture with Todd Tuckey?

Brad

#991 1 year ago

Where did the publisher get the $30,000? From our pockets on Pinside? From suckers on Kickstarter? Nope, sounds like $30,000 of their own money, wow what a difference that makes in motivation and accountability. Awesome job toddtuckey I love your YouTube and once your books are available to ship count me in as a buyer.

Hey joedp I’ve made it clear to Patrick Powers at Stern your clusterfuck plays into why I’m never buying another Stern game.

#992 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I think vireland proved even as a picture book this thing is gonna suck.

#993 1 year ago

So it started two months ago, and the first book will ship in two more. THAT’s how it should be done! Not a year or two...

#994 1 year ago

hey, it's been 29 days. I'll bet joe will be popping in today with an update

nope, no sarcasm here

#995 1 year ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

Where did the publisher get the $30,000? From our pockets on Pinside? From suckers on Kickstarter? Nope, sounds like $30,000 of their own money, wow what a difference that makes in motivation and accountability.

Funny how when you need to make money from something, because you are out of pocket, you do something like... get it to market.

#996 1 year ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

I think vireland proved even as a picture book this thing is gonna suck.

23 Posts all slamming this project from the beginning. We get it, you have an axe to grind with Stern and will do anything to defame them. At least the others have some skin in the game...

#997 1 year ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Funny how when you need to make money from something, because you are out of pocket, you do something like... get it to market.

Tell me about it.....

candid monsters 2 book cover low r (resized).jpg
    #998 1 year ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

So it started two months ago, and the first book will ship in two more. THAT’s how it should be done! Not a year or two...

I understand about approvals from Stern on content and interviews with creators and designers that take time, etc - they're making a different kind of book from what you're doing. That said, it FEELS like there was little sense of urgency in any of this, and that FIRST photo "correction" sample after a year and a half of nothing was plain embarrassing.

1 week later
    #999 1 year ago

I got an update on the book. I went to Pintastic this year and George Gomez was there. I asked him about the book. He understood my frustration and knows about the situation. He told me the book has had licensing issues and that yes Trudeau delayed the book a bit. The main reason I was told the book has been delayed this long however was the books scope was expanded quite considerably since the book started. I instantly thought of BM '66 ironically and it's lack of code. I told him I understand about all that but I'm just frustrated about the lack of communication and updates. It seemed he understood but really it's out of his control. He didn't say that last part but you could tell he is probably frustrated by it too.

The people at Stern are also incredibly good people. The type of people you can have a beer with and play pinball.

#1000 1 year ago
    Quoted from hool10:

He didn't say that last part but you could tell he is probably frustrated by it too.
    The people at Stern are also incredibly good people. The type of people you can have a beer with and play pinball.

Thanks for the update!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 839.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 249.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 235.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 139.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 62.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    € 89.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    There are 1731 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 35.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside