2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,614 posts
  • 153 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by frolic
  • Topic is favorited by 54 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 129 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

jpopstapler (resized).jpg
    4314337112e6281868e685e7622c8d74_original (resized).png
    98c6d895b5574ecd7a2c342566a9a8f2_original (resized).png
    c16b6ae3e7e8ec612b1dd9cee836fa51_original (resized).png
    6107c4b6e69e727b3e9d966039ea793c_original (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 9.15.32 AM (resized).png
    7002e7e (resized).jpg
    1415f1 (resized).jpg
    E95E9F46-2176-4A39-814F-1F6E28271CB6 (resized).png
    88BC9FE1-C96B-4919-A746-D545DE495BA5 (resized).png
    Annotation 2019-05-03 063516 (resized).jpg
    5457c9ae6bb3f7d33da1a6bb-750-471.jpg
    kickstarter rights (resized).jpg
    Iglajua2992315 (resized).PNG
    D620DB28-C8F4-43EC-BCF9-11E24C488DEC (resized).jpeg
    dgsuhfjigiojdgf6732895965 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1614 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 33.
    #51 2 years ago

Here is some good reading for education.
    KickStarter projects do fail, often.

Some of the more notable failures in 2015. Note not all these projects were successfully funded. I would have to dig deeper for a comprehensive list of funded failures in the past 5 years.
    http://bit.ly/2dMMgo8

Some statistics about the operating success of KickStarter based on measured research.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/fulfillment

There is no reason to crowdfund a book, there are many other options for any credible author or publisher. This includes other options such as "GoFundMe" which I also think is a misroute for books.

I actually do see value in crowdfunding for certain subject areas that would be very difficult to get sourced, but not a book.

#52 2 years ago

Is it going to be available on tape? That book looks heavy and awkward to read whilst driving.

#53 2 years ago

Hello Pinside,

My name is Joseph Rubinstein, I am one of the co-founders of PaperFlock inc, and am helping develop this book for Stern Pinball.

I would like to personally answer your questions and address your concerns.

Here are a list of things I think I can address in this thread, please feel free to message me if I left something out.
    #1. Kickstarter as charity.
    #2. Who we are (PaperFlock).
    #3. Will the book come out if funded?
    #4. What is the relationship between PaperFlock and Stern?
    #5. Why Kickstarter?

I have been running crowdfunding campaigns, advising on projects, and even speaking on panels about crowdfunding for 5 years now.
    Some people view crowdfunding as a sort of charity. There are two main things that cause people to view it this way. The first is when a crowdfunding campaign charges more for a reward than one would normally pay for the same item in a retail environment. This suggests that you are donating extra funds to help support the project. The other is that many crowdfunding projects try to solve a problem that would lead to social good or have benefactors outside of the crowdfunding community.

I personally don't see crowdfunding as a charity. I see it as another way to help create things that might otherwise not get created.
    Our project does not charge more for our rewards than you might see in a retail environment, in fact we made sure our offerings were in line or below the price of similar items in a retail environment. Our project also does not imply we are creating a social good.

Crowdfunding is also not new, books have been crowdfunded for centuries: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowdfunding

PaperFlock Inc is Dameon Guess and Joseph Rubinstein.
    We are both pinball fans, who play and own machines.
    We are both business owners, and we both care a lot about this project.
    We are here to create something we care about.

Yes. The book will definitely come out if funded.
    As I stated above I have a long history with crowdfunding /crowdsourcing (https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/joedp) and my partner Dameon has a long history with printing. I have created and delivered on Kickstarter campaigns in the past. We are here, our reputation is on the line, Stern's reputation is on the line, I guarantee the book will come out if it gets funded.

In January of this year Dameon met with Jody from Stern at the CES convention. They briefly discussed the idea of a book. Dameon brought the idea to me and we spent 9 months working on proposals, contracts, and concepting out the book and the company to create it. About 6 weeks ago we all finally agreed on ideas and terms and signed a contract that gives PaperFlock the rights to use Stern content to create a book, and a crowdfunding campaign to fund the book.

#5. Why Kickstarter?
    So why crowdfund this book? Crowdfunding is more than just raising funds, it is also community building and public awareness.
    In our proposal we told Stern that "Building and managing a Kickstarter project involves a lot of one on one communication with fans." And that this communication "gives the customer base a chance to participate in the recording of this important history, and hopefully a sense of ownership in the project."

We have setup a forum on our website: http://www.paperflock.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2

The purpose of this forum is to have a conversation with all of the Kickstarter backers about what they want in this book. This doesn't mean that we will be able to accommodate every single person's desire for content, but it does mean we are listening and interested in what people are looking for.

Crowdfunding this project means that we care about what the community wants, what the community has to offer. It creates a meaningful conversation between a company and it's customers.

So could Stern Pinball make a book of their own, with their own money and their own ideas? Of course they could.
    But they could not make this book. A book full of the communities interests and thoughts. A book with the more than one point of view. A book we all can say we are proud to have participated in.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Interested to hear yours.

#54 2 years ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

Hello Pinside,
    My name is Joseph Rubinstein, I am one of the co-founders of PaperFlock inc, and am helping develop this book for Stern Pinball.
    I would like to personally answer your questions and address your concerns.
    Here are a list of things I think I can address in this thread, please feel free to message me if I left something out.
    #5. Why Kickstarter?
    I have been running crowdfunding campaigns, advising on projects, and even speaking on panels about crowdfunding for 5 years now.
    Some people view crowdfunding as a sort of charity. There are two main things that cause people to view it this way. The first is when a crowdfunding campaign charges more for a reward than one would normally pay for the same item in a retail environment. This suggests that you are donating extra funds to help support the project. The other is that many crowdfunding projects try to solve a problem that would lead to social good or have benefactors outside of the crowdfunding community.
    I personally don't see crowdfunding as a charity. I see it as another way to help create things that might otherwise not get created.
    Our project does not charge more for our rewards than you might see in a retail environment, in fact we made sure our offerings were in line or below the price of similar items in a retail environment. Our project also does not imply we are creating a social good.
    Crowdfunding is also not new, books have been crowdfunded for centuries: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowdfunding
    PaperFlock Inc is Dameon Guess and Joseph Rubinstein.
    We are both pinball fans, who play and own machines.
    We are both business owners, and we both care a lot about this project.
    We are here to create something we care about.
    Yes. The book will definitely come out if funded.
    As I stated above I have a long history with crowdfunding /crowdsourcing (https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/joedp) and my partner Dameon has a long history with printing. I have created and delivered on Kickstarter campaigns in the past. We are here, our reputation is on the line, Stern's reputation is on the line, I guarantee the book will come out if it gets funded.
    In January of this year Dameon met with Jody from Stern at the CES convention. They briefly discussed the idea of a book. Dameon brought the idea to me and we spent 9 months working on proposals, contracts, and concepting out the book and the company to create it. About 6 weeks ago we all finally agreed on ideas and terms and signed a contract that gives PaperFlock the rights to use Stern content to create a book, and a crowdfunding campaign to fund the book.
    #5. Why Kickstarter?
    So why crowdfund this book? Crowdfunding is more than just raising funds, it is also community building and public awareness.
    In our proposal we told Stern that "Building and managing a Kickstarter project involves a lot of one on one communication with fans." And that this communication "gives the customer base a chance to participate in the recording of this important history, and hopefully a sense of ownership in the project."
    We have setup a forum on our website: http://www.paperflock.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2
    The purpose of this forum is to have a conversation with all of the Kickstarter backers about what they want in this book. This doesn't mean that we will be able to accommodate every single person's desire for content, but it does mean we are listening and interested in what people are looking for.
    Crowdfunding this project means that we care about what the community wants, what the community has to offer. It creates a meaningful conversation between a company and it's customers.
    So could Stern Pinball make a book of their own, with their own money and their own ideas? Of course they could.
    But they could not make this book. A book full of the communities interests and thoughts. A book with the more than one point of view. A book we all can say we are proud to have participated in.

+1000

BlackKnight shut down!

#55 2 years ago

I am in. Backed. $55 now or $75 later from Stern.com.

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

I stand corrected based on the Expo announcement, but there is a puzzle to be solved.
    I will still wait for Amazon, here is why.
    It still makes absolutely no sense that Stern, a multi-million dollar pinball company, needs to partner with anyone using KickStarter to make a book.
    KickStarter is not a needed service for a real book publisher or author. Santiago Ciuffo did not need KickStarter for his book and this is recent, not 20 years ago.
    What this tells me is this is another market testing initiative to see if there is interest.
    Just a sampling of over a hundred pinball, jukebox, and arcade books I have collected over the decades from all over the world, in dozens of languages. No KickStarts required.

Jeffrey Lawton, an individual who loves Bingo pinball machines wrote and published Bally Bingo Pinball Machines. No kickstarter. His money and Schiffer Publishing. Same with the follow-up, Bingo Wars-United vs. Bally.

#57 2 years ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

Not interested in donating a dollar for a Kickstarter campaign for a pinball book. Would buy if fairly priced after release. If unfairly priced, I'll wait for Amazon to offer at a discount.

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Not interested in donating a dollar for a Kickstarter campaign for a pinball book. Would buy if fairly priced after release. If unfairly priced, I'll wait for Amazon to offer at a discount.

Your not donating, you're pre-ordering.

Amazing that no matter how many times you hit certain people over the head with the fact, the keep on spewing the charity/donation crap about Kickstarter.

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

What is fairly priced? Its $55 for a copy of the Pro book off the kickstarter.

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from Air_Pinball:

Your not donating, you're pre-ordering.
    Amazing that no matter how many times you hit certain people over the head with the fact, the keep on spewing the charity/donation crap about Kickstarter.

If I contribute a dollar to the Kickstarter, it's a donation as I don't get a book nor a discount for the book.

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

What is fairly priced? Its $55 for a copy of the Pro book off the kickstarter.

Based on what other pinball books go for; $40-50.

#62 2 years ago

How much was the Dirty Donnie book? $55 for a nice coffee table book is pretty normal.

#63 2 years ago

Appreciate the post Joseph and I wish you luck on your Kickstarter. I know from personal experience they are a LOT of work. I whole-heartedly agree that KS gives you a much better line of communication with the fans. I applaud you for recognizing that.

I still think that Stern is completely disconnected with its fan base and after the BM66' cash grab, expo party and shunning of pinballnews, the timing on this is off. I think you'll hit your goal regardless but I hope you understand why people would choose not to back this.

I do think the pricing is fair for the most part. Don't see any price gouging here. Thank you again for explaining the details.

#64 2 years ago

It is weird how confusing this continues to be for people. To simplify:

1) Want the book and want to increase the chance it gets made? Pledge 55.00, if it gets funded you just paid 55.00 for the book. Congrats.

2) Want the book, but don't like crowdfunding for whatever reason or feel you can't risk the $55.00 on the remote chance things get funded but the book never happens, then wait, hope it gets funded, and buy the book when it is ready. Possibly for $55.00, maybe more, who knows.

3) Don't like Stern, don't want the book, crowdfunding offends you so personally that it makes you feel ill, don't pledge, don't buy the book, and move on with your life.

#65 2 years ago

If you add a chapter about Stern's poor business practices (I.E social media) and their flagrant cash grabs; I might be interested in the book.

#66 2 years ago
    Quoted from SkillShot:

If you add a chapter about Stern's poor business practices (I.E social media) and their flagrant cash grabs; I might be interested in the book.

You can definitely suggest this on our forum if you become a backer

#67 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Jeffrey Lawton, an individual who loves Bingo pinball machines wrote and published Bally Bingo Pinball Machines. No kickstarter. His money and Schiffer Publishing. Same with the follow-up, Bingo Wars-United vs. Bally.

Do you know Jeffrey Lawton? I would be interested in to hear if his books were profitable for him. And if he would consider using crowdfunding today if he was creating a new book.

#68 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

If I contribute a dollar to the Kickstarter, it's a donation as I don't get a book nor a discount for the book.

If you think that's even remotely where the bulk of the money raised is.......I have some swamp land in Florida to sell you.

#69 2 years ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

Nice! Perhaps you could run their social media and outreach campaigns, sounds like they could learn something from you.

#70 2 years ago
    Quoted from SkillShot:

Quoted from JoeDP:

Does Stern have any editorial control over the content of the final release?

#71 2 years ago
    Quoted from Air_Pinball:

If you think that's even remotely where the bulk of the money raised is.......I have some swamp land in Florida to sell you.

Never said it was nor do I think that way.

#72 2 years ago

All the enthusiast potential authors details provided in this update should be provided on the Kickstarter campaign. These details were omitted from the funding design. These were important.

It does not change my position regarding book authorship or KickStarter. KickStarter is not primary advertising concept location.

If the book is good, great, or fantastic, I have no problem spending $75 in Stern Shop or Amazon.
    Reviews will do the rest.
    The authors can then benefit from additional sales on mutiple primary consumer sales mediums.
    Money is not the concern here personally.

I don't pre-order concept ideas with no decisive internal content, no estimated delivery date, and if funded no guarantee of anything being published.
    I don't need to explain why this is important or "prove anything" here.

KickStarter is not a personal contract between a buyer and author of assurance.

I wish the best of fortune on the project.

#73 2 years ago

All the enthusiast potential authors details provided in this update should be provided on the Kickstarter campaign. These details were omitted from the funding design. These were important.

You are right, we spent a long time talking about how much information about ourselves and our relationship to Stern would be interesting for people to read in the body of our Kickstarter. You can believe it was a much longer document at one time, but we cut it down as we did not want it to be too long.

I don't pre-order concept ideas with no decisive internal content, no estimated delivery date, and if funded no guarantee of anything being published.

That is a totally fine stance to take.
    I personally back a lot of crowdfunding projects.
    I also appreciate the chance to interact with project creators and have my thoughts heard before it's too late to change things.
    If you have ideas about what the content of the book should be, waiting till it's available on Amazon is not the right approach.
    There is an estimated delivery date. May of 2017. There is a personal guarantee from us, and a professional guarantee from Stern that the book will be published. You seem like the kind of person who might be remiss if we skipped an important subject. If you are you can get involved now, before it's too late to change the book

#74 2 years ago
    Quoted from Razorbak86:

Does Stern have any editorial control over the content of the final release?

Stern is a content partner in this project.
    There will likely not be anything in the book Stern doesn't want in there.

But I have to tell you, from personal experience, They are open to making this book a truly historical document with all the good and bad history in there. In the beginning I did get some resistance from some people there about the nature of telling the Stern story, but through some great conversations they have come around to the view point that there needs to be hardship in the story for there to be triumph. And I do think this story is a great story about triumph.

So they are on board for the hardship part too.

#75 2 years ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

Quoted from JoeDP:

A book full of the communities interests and thoughts. A book with the more than one point of view. A book we all can say we are proud to have participated in.

Quoted from JoeDP:

If you have ideas about what the content of the book should be, waiting till it's available on Amazon is not the right approach.

Quoted from JoeDP:

Do you know Jeffrey Lawton? I would be interested in to hear if his books were profitable for him. And if he would consider using crowdfunding today if he was creating a new book.

Let US do it for you, so YOU will sell what you print and so "WE" are all proud and YOU profit. I'm so glad you explained it so well.

#76 2 years ago

The continued toxicity on this site is getting really tired. I don't find it surprising that some of the most negative comments come from people who don't own a Stern, have never owned a Stern and never planned to own a Stern.

I get not wanting to support this project, I don't get the tearing it down. And some people wonder why most manufacturers or anyone associated with the manufacturers don't post or respond on this site...

#77 2 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

The continued toxicity on this site is getting really tired. I don't find it surprising that some of the most negative comments come from people who don't own a Stern, have never owned a Stern and never planned to own a Stern.
    I get not wanting to support this project, I don't get the tearing it down. And some people wonder why most manufacturers or anyone associated with the manufacturers don't post or respond on this site...

I would love to and will own a Stern. I would prefer a book realized from passion not profit. This book concept was sold to Stern, I personally harbor no negativity for them.

#78 2 years ago
    Quoted from Elvisinmypants:

I would love to and will own a Stern. I would prefer a book realized from passion not profit. This book concept was sold to Stern, I personally have no negativity to them.

Well, unfortunately I guess Stern is a business, PaperFlock is a business. Profit is kind of part of the deal. Besides, I don't know how much it costs to gather materials, design and then print 1000 copies of a book, but I doubt anyone is going to be drinking expensive champagne and snorting blow off a hooker's a** with $50k minus all the costs.

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

Well, unfortunately I guess Stern is a business, PaperFlock is a business. Profit is kind of part of the deal. Besides, I don't know how much it costs to gather materials, design and then print 1000 copies of a book, but I doubt anyone is going to be drinking expensive champagne and snorting blow off a hooker's a** with $50k minus all the costs.

I'm not against profit, I just believe a book resulting from a project of passion would be worth having. A book put together in six months by and upstart business probably won't be as good. The solicitation of content and direction from the passionate reads like exploitation to me. I guess that is business.

#80 2 years ago

I'm not against profit, I just believe a book resulting from a project of passion would be worth having. A book put together in six months by and upstart business probably won't be as good. The solicitation of content and direction from the passionate reads like exploitation to me. I guess that is business.

A "passion project"? The PaperFlock guys like pinball. I am pretty sure the high level Stern guys, who have spent a good chunk of their lives in the industry, many of them going back decades, have plenty of passion. PaperFlock is working with Stern on this, not putting it out solo. I get that people don't like the corporate angle, but that has nothing to do with how well or crappy the book may turn out to be. If you know for sure how it will turn out vs some imaginary community driven project that does not exist, can you lend me your crystal ball? A lottery is coming up.

The "solicitation of content and direction" is a way to try and involve the community in the project. The vast majority of content is going to come from Stern, as you can tell if you watched the video about the project. I just don't think they realized how toxic the community can be.

#81 2 years ago

I am not following the anger toward this Kickstarter. Generally i dislike when large companies use Kickstarter but lets face it the pinball community is small so it would be difficult to gauge how many people would want a book like this. Kickstarter is a great option to let this book be created. Yes I realize there is risk with Kickstarter but it is $55. We as a community throw around thousands of dollars on pins so i am not clear why $55 is a big deal for some.

#82 2 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

I just don't think they realized how toxic the community can be.

This is a forum, you take the good, you take the bad you know different strokes. Different Strokes that'd be a good KaPow! I hope you enjoy the book. Peace and love!

#83 2 years ago

Maybe those of us who paid for their 30th Anniversary company party will get a discount on the book

#84 2 years ago

I'll do it for $25K

#85 2 years ago

Listen, I'm not going to comment on wether you should feel exploited or not, but if you are concerned about the quality of the book, I would encourage you to get involved and participate to make sure it comes out the way you want it!

Quoted from paul_8788:

I don't know how much it costs to gather materials, design and then print 1000 copies of a book, but I doubt anyone is going to be drinking expensive champagne and snorting blow off a hooker's a** with $50k minus all the costs.

Exactly. After all the expenses there is probably not going to be a lot left over. We are doing this cause we love pinball and love Stern in particular. We created PaperFlock, because no one wants this amount of money running through their personal bank account or personal taxes.

Quoted from spfxted:

I'll do it for $25K

I want to meet your print house!!!

#86 2 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

I'll do it for $25K

Publish the book or arrange the Stern Party?

#87 2 years ago

Between Stern's paid disappointing expo party, the recent PR disasters of PF problems, blocking people from FB, Price controls on what a distributor can sell a product for, and general lack of caring and dishonesty, I.E. no changes to PF manufacturing have happened... I think the timing of this book is terrible. We all know Stern, this is gonna be a fluff piece and any hardships mentioned will show Stern as the "victim". I don't see Gary apologizing for anything ever.

Giving Stern $55 for this book just feeds their ego that we will all buy ANYTHING
    they stamp their logo on.

Joseph I think you messed up big time letting Stern have any content control as this could have been an interesting behind the scenes book about Stern, the good, the bad, the ugly, but no way that happens with Stern's lockdown machine with the editing pen.

#88 2 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

Between Stern's paid disappointing expo party, the recent PR disasters of PF problems, blocking people from FB, Price controls on what a distributor can sell a product for, and general lack of caring and dishonesty, I.E. no changes to PF manufacturing have happened... I think the timing of this book is terrible.

You very well may be right that the timing may be off. We wanted to time it with the 30th Anniversary for obvious reasons, that doesn't mean it's the best time though.

Quoted from tacshose:

Joseph I think you messed up big time letting Stern have any content control as this could have been an interesting behind the scenes book about Stern, the good, the bad, the ugly, but no way that happens with Stern's lockdown machine with the editing pen.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised. We are talking with several longtime pinball people who have do not work for Stern about helping us structure the story / history, and Stern is on board for this. As I said, at first their immediate impulse was to only focus on the positives, but through long productive conversations we convinced them that a more balanced approach would tell a better story and ultimately show how they have persevered.

Now my opinion of Stern seems to be quite a bit higher than your opinion, but we have been dealing with them for 9 months on a creative project. As you might guess that is a difficult thing to do with Stern, and there have been trying / frustrating times, but I honestly believe that they have the best intentions going into this project, and overall with the industry.

The biggest complaints I hear about Stern is price gouging. And I can understand that from a customer point of view, every little bit counts when it comes to $5000+ games, but you also must recognize that whatever their business practices have been, it has allowed them to stay in business when all of the other companies from that time have gone away.

Honestly, what do you think would have happened to pinball if Stern closed it's doors 15 years ago?

Again, if you are honestly concerned about the quality and content of the book, here I am, listening.
    Get involved. Tell me the side of the story you think needs to be in the book.

#89 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Publish the book or arrange the Stern Party?

Both!

Quoted from JoeDP:

I want to meet your print house!!!

My pleasure. Just PM me...

#91 2 years ago

I wonder if I could use the $35 I paid to Stern for the "epic" Expo party as a credit for their book, since I only stayed for an hour.

#92 2 years ago

We have gotten to know Dameon, one of the co-founders of PaperFlock,and he is a 100% stand up guy. This is a big undertaking and labor of love, not a money grab. He's got the skills and resources to make it happen, so join in with confidence.

We're in! Thanks guys for doing this project for the community.

#93 2 years ago

This looks interesting enough to me from a historical perspective, not sure if I will back or not. But lots of days to make that decision.

I am more put off by the pro/premium/LE variants... It makes sense in a kickstarter format I guess but when this sort of model has even moved to coffee table books it seems like the end is night.

Coming 4Q 2017.... home, pro, premium, LE, Super LE, and SUPER DUPER TRIPLE SECRET LE's. Only 20K each, comes with EPIC(tm) bragging rights!

Sorry, that rant is directed more towards the industry in general, this book looks sweet

#94 2 years ago

I have supported my share of Kickstarters in the past and having different variations of the book is pretty standard. Usually a softcover, hardcover, hardcover with gold trim and a cloth bookmark. It is what it is and allows the supporter a certain level of control over how much they wish to spend on the book. I am a little more worried about the stretch goals that seem blah and uninspiring, not sure how that will play into how much they raise.

#95 2 years ago

I would really love a Limited Edition of this book, but I'm a bit worried it won't hit that funding mark. The price is absolutely in line with other similar coffee-table style books regardless. As far as having different editions at all; that's an extremely standard Kickstarter thing to do. Nothing out of the ordinary as far as how this is priced or marketed.

#96 2 years ago
    Quoted from dotEXE:

I would really love a Limited Edition of this book, but I'm a bit worried it won't hit that funding mark.

The best way to ensure that we hit the funding mark is support our project

#97 2 years ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

I'm in for $125. Looking forward to reading it.

#98 2 years ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I would back you in an instant BUT I'm not putting my credit card details online for several months - that isn't an option to me.

KS needs to accept other forms of payment IMO.

#99 2 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I would back you in an instant BUT I'm not putting my credit card details online for several months - that isn't an option to me.
    KS needs to accept other forms of payment IMO.

Well the Kickstarter payment gateway is actually controlled / run by Amazon.com.
    So if you have ever ordered anything from Amazon the personal information risk is exactly the same.
    And most credit cards actually protect customers from fraudulent online charge incidence these days, you can call your credit card company to find out if you are covered.

If you still feel it's too risky I totally understand and appreciate your sign of support anyway

#100 2 years ago

I'm at the $125 level as well. Why? Well here is my reasoning:

1) The book chronicles Stern 30 years of making Pinball. Their artwork isn't the best as frankly it's what they can work with in Photoshop then it's what the IP holder allows. That being said there is a talented design process to even doing that because I can't Photoshop or draw for shit.

2) Meeting Steve Ritchie, etc at Pintastic this past July really changed my view on how the industry works. They still need to meet deadlines just like in the 80's, they need to make a fun game to themselves and you, they need to make a reliable game, and they are getting increasingly complicated which requires them to ante up their game constantly.

3) I have funded a few KS in the past. I have funded Reading Rainbow for the modern age, The Sanctum in CT, a barcade in ME called "Arcadia", a documentary about Midway, Pinball Arcade: Doctor Who, another barcade in NH called "8-bit Retro", Dragon's Lair: The Film, and a videogame called "Novus Aeterno". The Sanctum and Arcadia I funded because I personally know them and are friends and became a mega success. The barcade in NH isn't open yet, however I'm pretty sure will become big and the owner is very nice. The documentary about Midway is a no-brainer and I actually met the director and former Midway employee of the documentary at an expo this past weekend in CT. It's already been well received even by celebs I mean it's Midway Gaming. Reading Rainbow was a no-brainer and was a major success that appeared all over the news. Dragon's Lair: The Film screwed me over with printed stuff including their autographs. You don't get a copy of the film or anything it's just a demo to sell to investors which I understood but postcards with printed autographs? Major ripoff because they didn't say that! Novus Aeterno is a game I was interested in '11, has gone through major changes, still has not come out with no finish line in sight, and I really would like my $60 back. So essentially a video game created by 2-5 dev's screwed me over which isn't a shocker with KS.

4) This is a high quality book because it represents Paper Flock, a new company trying to impress, and Stern. Believe it or not Stern always aims to impress with how much budget they have before making the game cost too much.

5) It's signed by Gomez, Gary, Steve, etc. Going to Stern is on the bucket list but since I'm in MA, that is hard to do. Going to JJP is more realistic. If they all came to Boston that would be great but this tier guarantees they all sign these 30 books. I consider these people special in my life because of their work that I enjoy.

6) The extra's are a nice added thing. I get another t-shirt that I don't have room for in the closet, a wallpaper for the computer (meh), and a nice framable poster that is a good size. The poster is a big plus to me as it's a collection of all Stern table's of 30 years on a poster which is pretty cool. Only downside is they are folding it so there will be crease marks all over the thing but I hope it won't be too bad. Plus I think putting them in a tube might raise costs.

7) Only 30 made of this LE super duper edition. This I think matters because the Pinball community isn't really shy from spending money. People want one of these editions and are willing to pay for it. After all it did sellout under 24h. Will I sell it? Most likely not, it's staying in the game room. However the last time I spent this much money on a book was the same scenario only it was "The Tales of Beedle the Bard: Collectors Edition". It was $100, the money went to orphanages all across the UK, only 100 made, the quality is exceptional. I figured it went to a good cause, I was going to get a quality book, and only 100 made with millions of Potter fans across the world. I was right because the book is now worth over $400: amazon.com link »
    I only read it once and barely opened the thing to read it so really aside from mint it's just celophane removed. Even kept the cardboard packaging. You don't spend stupid amounts of money on a newly minted coin or something "exclusive" when there is a small audience and they are mass made.

8 ) The $200 is just stupid I'm sorry and is wayyy too much in my opinion. I mean if you have the money sure because it's a nice big poster done by Zombie Yeti and it's signed/numbered. However it's likely to be reproduced and quite frankly you're paying ~$60 for that poster. You may not even like or think the poster is worth that extra cost.

9) The $500 is smart to re-sell the books and you would get like $50 after selling them all. Pretty darn good value at this tier. You're most likely a distributor selling 9 books and keeping 1 for yourself.

Irony of all this is I don't own a Stern but I hope to one day (I do own a Space Mission though), I'm banned from their Facebook because I think I asked them to release more code, and yes they do a LOT of crummy things. I wish Paper Flock the best and I hope this gets funded well past $50k. Please don't get pissed off Joe by some of the comments here. It's a dumpster fire of a forum with little mod enforcement. The repair threads are interesting however.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 45.99
    $ 1,099.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Metalhead Pinball
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 14.99
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 50.00
    Lighting - Led
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 78.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 19.95
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    There are 1614 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 33.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside