2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,619 posts
  • 153 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 hours ago by TigerLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 54 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 129 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

jpopstapler (resized).jpg
    4314337112e6281868e685e7622c8d74_original (resized).png
    98c6d895b5574ecd7a2c342566a9a8f2_original (resized).png
    c16b6ae3e7e8ec612b1dd9cee836fa51_original (resized).png
    6107c4b6e69e727b3e9d966039ea793c_original (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 9.15.32 AM (resized).png
    7002e7e (resized).jpg
    1415f1 (resized).jpg
    E95E9F46-2176-4A39-814F-1F6E28271CB6 (resized).png
    88BC9FE1-C96B-4919-A746-D545DE495BA5 (resized).png
    Annotation 2019-05-03 063516 (resized).jpg
    5457c9ae6bb3f7d33da1a6bb-750-471.jpg
    kickstarter rights (resized).jpg
    Iglajua2992315 (resized).PNG
    D620DB28-C8F4-43EC-BCF9-11E24C488DEC (resized).jpeg
    dgsuhfjigiojdgf6732895965 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1619 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 33.
    #901 1 year ago
    Quoted from WackyBrakke:

The FUCK is going on with this thing? I feel like someone stole my money........

they did. this is exactly why I filed a claim with my credit card company. I really don't have any hard feeling that the money will be taken from kickstarter.com
    they can then go after joe and co. I feel that they should change their business model to hold these start-ups somewhat accountable

and before someone on the high horse chimes in again about how I wasn't paying for a product, but supporting an idea, they can go pound sand. creating a book (as someone else stated, "not a new technology") when you have all of the resources laid out in front of you should be an incredibly easy task for anyone with any business sense

joe has broken his promise numerous times now. anyone that gives him a pass has no one to blame but themselves. the adage "fool me once shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me" comes to mind and I won't be fooled a second time by this charlatan

#902 1 year ago

Are they still blaming Trudeau for the "delay"?

#903 1 year ago

Can you do a chargeback from that long ago? I guess I should call my CC company and see

#904 1 year ago
    Quoted from WackyBrakke:

Can you do a chargeback from that long ago? I guess I should call my CC company and see

At least per Citi, they have told me that there is no time limit on chargebacks. They take every dispute on a case by case basis. Depending on the reason for the dispute, some may be rejected due the amount of time that has passed. For other reasons, they might let you go back over a year or more. It just depends.

#905 1 year ago

If everyone started doing chargebacks...we'd get updates pretty quick....

#906 1 year ago

Guys, we’re aiming for 2 years. No Kickstarter worth it’s salt gets done in under 2 years.

I doubt anyone would have backed this project had they known it would take 18-24 months.

#907 1 year ago

I don't think you'll have much success with chargebacks. The chargeback will go to Kickstarter, and they'll point out that they don't promise delivery of anything. I'm not sure exactly what recourse there is, to be honest. Maybe press Stern, but they can just point fingers at Joe/Paperflock. You go to Paperflock and they'll just point back at Stern.

Kickstarters can be awesome, but they can also be maddening. I have had both success and disappointment supporting them. This one didn't feel like it should have had much trouble coming out though. Everybody involved was supported by stable companies.

#908 1 year ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Guys, we’re aiming for 2 years. No Kickstarter worth it’s salt gets done in under 2 years.
    I doubt anyone would have backed this project had they known it would take 18-24 months.

Yeah but this is a coffee table book talking about the history of Stern pinball. At this point I expect a Stephen King novel. I mean, ok, sure things got messed up with making this with Trudeau or whatever. Paperflock has not put out updates since the fundraising period then randomly comes on and says "oh yeah we are still here and yup, monthly updates, my bad". Ok great! I last posted in this thread saying "whatever just keep us updated". It's now the middle of March and the guy has been avoiding Pinside. This is a fundraiser in Indiegogo for a documentary called "Not For Resale". That film has been in development for over a year. They have put out 20, TWENTY, updates. Paperflock has put out 25 with over 90% put out over the holidays when it was first backed. I even get to meet the guys who are doing the documentary at PAX East and shake their hands IN PERSON. Paperflock was not even at the last Pinball Expo. Nobody knows these guys or has met them except for Stern and some of their friends. This is "Not For Resale" latest update used as an example. I defended them and yeah, Pinside was typical Pinside when this was first announced and not all Kickstarters are like this. Poor Jonathan Joosten Kickstarter was not backed very likely because of this debacle of a Kickstarter and to that end, has done real harm in that sense (I backed that one too). At this point you can't say this is a normal Kickstarter, no way. They only got $55k for 444 people I mean I don't know how much, if all a profit margin they are pulling in now. Worst part is Stern is involved in this mess and seemingly have no involvement in it yet they clearly did with advertising. You would think it would be part of a "Stern of the Union" update. I'm po'd I really am but mainly frustrated!

434 (resized).JPG

#909 1 year ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Yeah but this is a coffee table book talking about the history of Stern pinball. At this point I expect a Stephen King novel. I mean, ok, sure things got messed up with making this with Trudeau or whatever. Paperflock has not put out updates since the fundraising period then randomly comes on and says "oh yeah we are still here and yup, monthly updates, my bad". Ok great! I last posted in this thread saying "whatever just keep us updated". It's now the middle of March and the guy has been avoiding Pinside. This is a fundraiser in Indiegogo for a documentary called "Not For Resale". That film has been in development for over a year. They have put out 20, TWENTY, updates. Paperflock has put out 25 with over 90% put out over the holidays when it was first backed. I even get to meet the guys who are doing the documentary at PAX East and shake their hands IN PERSON. Paperflock was not even at the last Pinball Expo. Nobody knows these guys or has met them except for Stern and some of their friends. This is "Not For Resale" latest update used as an example. I defended them and yeah, Pinside was typical Pinside when this was first announced and not all Kickstarters are like this. Poor Jonathan Joosten Kickstarter was not backed very likely because of this debacle of a Kickstarter and to that end, has done real harm in that sense (I backed that one too). At this point you can't say this is a normal Kickstarter, no way. They only got $55k for 444 people I mean I don't know how much, if all a profit margin they are pulling in now. Worst part is Stern is involved in this mess and seemingly have no involvement in it yet they clearly did with advertising.You would think it would be part of a "Stern of the Union" update. I'm po'd I really am but mainly frustrated!

Agree 100% hool10 . I should have used the emoticon, but used the instead. Probably should have used both, and a few more:

#910 1 year ago

Oh and that is the other major thing that is part of a Kickstarter. They are active on social media. Notice the "hit us up on Twitter or Facebook" bit. You can't do that with this Kickstarter because it's on here. The only other way is to actually look up Joe on Facebook and send him a private message and frankly that doesn't feel right. Sadly I have had to do that 2-3 times. It's like poking your son/daughter in bed to wake up.

1 week later
    #911 1 year ago

Bump joedp you fall off again?

#912 1 year ago
    Quoted from puck:

Bump joedp you fall off again?

Nah, Joe said he was back for good this time. Right Joe?

Hello, Joe?

#913 1 year ago

I'm here!
    We kept hearing that we would get approval any day so I kept waiting
    And honestly I had a really busy personal month.
    But a new update has been posted, and our copy has been approved!

So we finally have the green light to move forward with all the next steps!

So much hinged on this approval, but now that it has been approved we are moving forward on all fronts!

#914 1 year ago

I knew you'd be back, Joe! Now let's get this wrapped up--we all probably deserve something a little extra due to the long wait--and ship this out!

#915 1 year ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

I knew you'd be back, Joe! Now let's get this wrapped up--we all probably deserve something a little extra due to the long wait--and ship this out!

We fully agree everyone deserves something a little extra, and have talked about what that can be!

#916 1 year ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

veryone deserves something a little extra

Transparent overlays for the win.

#917 1 year ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Transparent overlays for the win.

I checked with the vendor I use for printing in China and adding transparent overlays to a hardbound oversized book adds relatively little to the cost. So, it's probably do-able - IF they have the layered art.

#918 1 year ago

apparently it takes a year to write a book about pinball...mostly photos too.....hahahaha

#919 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

apparently it takes a year to write a book about pinball...mostly photos too.....hahahaha

It does take a while!

And maybe just as long to go through the approval process

#920 1 year ago

agree on a few transparent pages to show off a game design

#921 1 year ago

Will Iron Maiden be in the book now?

#922 1 year ago
    Quoted from ahdelarge:

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

#923 1 year ago

Maybe this should be renamed as 33 years of Stern Pinball. So there should be enough time to finish it without missing the deadline?

3 weeks later
    #924 1 year ago

Hey Joe, it's been a month--how about a visit and an update

#925 1 year ago
    Quoted from ahdelarge:

That would actually be pretty cool. Obviously none of us want to see the book slowed down further but it would make it feel more current for sure.

#926 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

That would actually be pretty cool. Obviously none of us want to see the book slowed down further but it would make it feel more current for sure.

Star Wars sure wasn't a good reason for the delay, but Maiden would make up for it. Best new Stern since this book was proposed (well, even earlier than that), imo.

#927 1 year ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

Star Wars sure wasn't a good reason for the delay, but Maiden would make up for it. Best new Stern since this book was proposed (well, even earlier than that), imo.

Yeah, why not go for broke. We've waited this long. What's another 6 months? Lol

I'd love to see Iron Maiden in the book. Agree with you!

#928 1 year ago

where does it stop as in 6months time there will be another pinball, just make it and send it

#929 1 year ago
    Quoted from master_of_chaos:

Maybe this should be renamed as 33 years of Stern Pinball.

That would nicely match my pinside name...

#930 1 year ago
    Quoted from swinks:

where doe it stop as in 6months time there will be another pinball, just make it and send it

Yeh, we don’t need any more excuses. Just ship it!!!! Are we at the printers yet?

#931 1 year ago

Hi Everyone,

I am waiting one more week to do a big update, but we had a few more copy revisions to work through, after the text was approved. And the stage after locking the copy is the design stage. We have all or most of the material we believe we need in order to create the book layout, but after the copy is approved we move into design.

We have done some design work to establish some formatting things, but the majority of the design is not done yet.
    The reason it is not, is because before design can be done the copy has to be approved.

It is usually pointless to do design work if the copy is going to change.

The good news is the design is the LAST STAGE before going to the printer, well except for proofing I guess, but that is a quick one compared to the rest.

So, I'm sorry for the delays, we are working as fast as we can on this, and I will have a big update in 1 week.

Thank you all, Joe

#932 1 year ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

We have all or most of the material we believe we need in order to create the book layout, but after the copy is approved we move into design.
    We have done some design work to establish some formatting things, but the majority of the design is not done yet.

Wow. Long haul confirmed. Designing 150+ pages of a coffeetable book from scratch at essentially the END of the project won't be completed by next month. This has likely become a Fall 2018 release, which makes 2 years total.

#933 1 year ago

Again, I will post about this next week when I can, but we are making moves to get the book done as fast as we possibly can.

#934 1 year ago

2wFRLcV5d4ttS.gif

#935 1 year ago

Good lord almighty...at this point I think we'd all be happy if you just completely scrapped the copy and the endless revisions and just released "BIG BOOK O' STERN PINBALL PICTURES". Every caption could be "Here's Some Pinball Stuff", just so you wouldn't have to trouble yourself with "copy revisions" of telling us what's in the picture.

I could care less if Star Wars or Iron Maiden is in the book--you need to draw the line somewhere. Maybe you can do a sequel covering the years following the 30th anniversary--just wait and see how successful you'll be getting ANOTHER book funded from this crowd.

Please just get this done for Pete's sake.

#936 1 year ago

Is Andrew Heighway in charge of this???

#937 1 year ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I believe they were waiting on his interview so it could be included before the book was published.

Brad

#938 1 year ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

He just told me a spot opened up for the Special Edition.....(green cover)

#939 1 year ago

Hello Everyone,

New update just posted to kickstarter, as soon as I possibly could, as promised!

Pasted here for your convenience:

-------------------------------------

Hello Kickstarter Backers!

This last month has seen some complications, but also some great steps forward.

First the complications: we have had additional copy revisions after we sent our final revision, but the good news is we believe we, this morning, received the final notes and are prepping the FINAL version of the text today!

The other complication is we had to find a new graphic designer. This required a lot of searching and interviews to find someone we felt was really right for the project, but also in a budget range we could afford.

I'm very happy to announce that just yesterday, we met with and employed a new graphic designer!

His name is Zach Guenther and he has a small design studio here in Los Angeles called Minimaal Studio.

You can see some of his very nice work here: https://www.minimaalstudio.com

We talked with him for hours yesterday and previous days on the phone to make sure our aesthetics and design goals were aligned for this project.

We talked about celebrating each machine, a design focus on the art of the games, creating a separate space to enjoy the story, and a separate space to focus on the machines.

We really concentrated on the experience of the book, especially on repeat viewings, and I think we came to some really great design decisions that will make this book a joy to interact with again and again.

I know time frame is the big question right now.

We believe the design process will be around 8 weeks for a book this size.

The content is collected.

The story is written.

The people are in place.

And we are excited about finishing this project in the best way we can.

Thank you all for your patience and cooperation, Dameon and Joe.

#940 1 year ago

Huge!

Thanks for the update, a big risk imo saying 8 weeks. That’s promising a lot unless he is working on it full time.

Any update on all the other backer rewards? Or is that post book work?

#941 1 year ago

One step forward, three steps back...

#942 1 year ago
    Quoted from puck:

Huge!
    Thanks for the update, a big risk imo saying 8 weeks. That’s promising a lot unless he is working on it full time.

Hey man, thanks for your comment. Yes we are trying hard to be as open and honest as we can be with the process right now. Yes it is probably a risk saying the actual time frame we are hoping to finish in, as there is always a chance we run over.

It's very difficult to decide how much information to share in this community.

Quoted from puck:

Any update on all the other backer rewards? Or is that post book work?

All of the rewards are under-weigh! There are a couple covers that are lagging behind, but I believe we will have them in time to not delay the other steps. All of the artists know what our situation is.

#943 1 year ago

You JUST now hired a graphic designer?

#944 1 year ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

It's very difficult to decide how much information to share in this community.

Not really. You just make it difficult for yourself by over-promising, under-delivering, and then disappearing when you don't want to be held accountable.

#945 1 year ago

I still dont understand why people were not willing to wait for Amazon, as I mentioned nearly two years ago.

KickStarter is unecessary from my personal experience finishing my own book, securing a publisher, and work with others. You don't need it for this type of project, and you don't even to have a mandated 1000+ run today, if do some homework to keep costs down. That is the "old school" method.

The conditions were not prepared when the project was started, such as designer, writer, editor, and graphic artist, and now people just seemed to discover these aspects for the first time. After a project is funded, seems a bit out of order.

In my case, I had to at least show a rough draft transcript to at least get reviewed.

Keep flipping

#946 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

You JUST now hired a graphic designer?

No, we signed on a graphic designer as soon as the project funding was successful.
    This graphic designer has become largely unavailable.
    So as I said in the post "The other complication is we had to find a new graphic designer".

No money was lost on the switch between designers.
    And we are now in a good place to finish the book in a very strong way.

#947 1 year ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

has become largely unavailable.

I bet that sucked.

Imagine what it would be like if you had put in some money and someone continually ghosted you...

#948 1 year ago

I drained this thread a while ago because it was too frustrating to keep monitoring. Now I'm back and I'm... frustrated!! lol.

Happy Anniversary to the original book release date (May 2017).

#949 1 year ago

At ZERO pages so far, I think this project qualifies for mention in this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-thinnest-books-in-the-pinball-library

#950 1 year ago
    Quoted from JoeDP:

We believe the design process will be around 8 weeks for a book this size.

The content is collected.

The story is written.

The people are in place.

And we are excited about finishing this project in the best way we can.

So, next year.....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 199.99
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 149.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 72.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 4.95
    $ 89.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    Electronics
    nvram.weebly.com
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 11.95
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    € 3.70
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    There are 1619 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 33.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside