Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 85 days ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 60.
    #751 6 years ago

I figured there was a 50/50 chance I'd be donating to Joe's vacation fund from the very beginning. Maybe I did, or maybe we get the book--who knows at this point?

#752 6 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Sent a message on Stern's website to their PR/Marketing team last Tuesday I believe. Got nothing back from them. I'm literally hitting the panic button here now. The worst part is Stern helped promote this so they are actively involved in this whole ordeal.

Sterns PR/Marketing team what a joke. I'm still waiting on my free t-shirt that I was supposed to get with my new Stern purchase, or even a response to the email asking for an update. It is utterly amazing that Stern is as successful as they are with their completely unprofessional marketing.

#753 6 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

I'm literally hitting the panic button here now.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

#754 6 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

the-princess-bride-princess-bride-quotes (resized).jpgthe-princess-bride-princess-bride-quotes (resized).jpg

#755 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinmaniac:

Sterns PR/Marketing team what a joke. I'm still waiting on my free t-shirt that I was supposed to get with my new Stern purchase, or even a response to the email asking for an update. It is utterly amazing that Stern is as successful as they are with their completely unprofessional marketing.

Ha. I gave up on the T-shirt after three emails with no response. If the book and swag show up while I still have hair, I’ll let it go. Vegas odds are 50-50.

#756 6 years ago

At least Gary Stern mentioned it was on his desk and that he was the hold up. Would have been worse if Stern had said they haven't heard from Paperflock in a year.

#757 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

At least Gary Stern mentioned it was on his desk and that he was the hold up. Would have been worse if Stern had said they haven't heard from Paperflock in a year.

I missed that, when did that happen?

#758 6 years ago
    Quoted from puck:

I missed that, when did that happen?

Actually it was Dave Peterson who said something like that at the Stern seminar during Expo. You can check the audio on Pinball News.

#759 6 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Actually it was Dave Peterson who said something like that at the Stern seminar during Expo. You can check the audio on Pinball News.

Correct, just didn’t know if Gary commented or not. Wanted to make sure I didn’t miss something. Thanks J

#760 6 years ago

Gary held the mic when I asked the question. He immediately referred the question to the guys at the table in front.

#761 6 years ago

Currently this is my most expensive ornament, and I have two of them.

D7E036D2-4C57-4BC0-8E95-A5AA8BA35E30 (resized).jpegD7E036D2-4C57-4BC0-8E95-A5AA8BA35E30 (resized).jpeg

#762 6 years ago

I never even received the paper xmas ornament

#763 6 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I never even received the paper xmas ornament

Sometimes your avatar matches your posts perfectly. Lol

I didn't receive them either. Not too upset though - they'd just be a reminder.

#764 6 years ago

No worries if you did not receive this highly sought after collector ornament, as mine is available for the low bargain price of $55, (plus shipping).

#765 6 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

No worries if you did not receive this highly sought after collector ornament, as mine is available for the low bargain price of $55, (plus shipping).

Lucky, I have two $225 versions.

#766 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Lucky, I have two $225 versions.

You might want to hang on to those deluxe versions, as I am positive they will continue to rise in value!

#767 6 years ago

I'm certain all is well. The publisher is busy finishing the design of the gel layers that show the anatomy of a pinball machine.

#768 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I'm certain all is well. The publisher is busy finishing the design of the gel layers that show the anatomy of a pinball machine.

??

I didn't think that the kickstarter campaign made it to the level to include that. if they did, and they are actually working on that, I will be pleased

#769 6 years ago

Yes if they did decide to put the layered dissection pages of a pinball and that is the reason for the delay I would be exstatic!

#770 6 years ago

I think mrbally was being sarcastic but who knows since tone is nearly impossible to decipher on the internet.

#771 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

I think mrbally was being sarcastic...

The was my take on it as well. Hey, Joe--wanna weigh in on this? Surely they have internet in Fiji...

#772 6 years ago

Can anybody contact Zach? Sterns PR team not responding to me is surprising tbh. I mean I love the whole support of the Stern Army and they are active on FB I think (they banned me long ago).

#774 6 years ago

The P-Flockers cured me from all things Kickstarter.

#775 6 years ago

Ok I got into contact with Joe Rubinstein last night. He told me that we are not conned, that there will be an update in the next few days, and that there was a couple of rewrites that were likely understandably out of their control. Paperflock is making good progress and getting the book done soon. Would have really liked to know about these delays or anything though rather than dead silence. Also Joe shipped out his completed cosplay Kickstarter to backers recently. So there is that.

#776 6 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

that there was a couple of rewrites that were likely understandably out of their control.

saw that one coming. Still annoyed that the whole delay for the book was to go past the 30th anniversary game, Batman66, and then it turned into a clusterF.

#777 6 years ago

Thanks for getting us an update, h-10.

#778 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

saw that one coming. Still annoyed that the whole delay for the book was to go past the 30th anniversary game, Batman66, and then it turned into a clusterF.

I think we all knew it was going to be delayed because it's just an estimate then the whole Trudeau thing. Completely understandable. The only thing that I am angry about with this whole project is the lack of updates. It not only hurt this project but unfortunately Pinball Magazine KS effort and people's perception of how KS work. I have a good feeling though that Stern was a big reason in the delays. Sterns legal/PR team is something that is a lot to be desired which as I said is shocking to me at least.

#779 6 years ago

Thank you for the update.

#780 6 years ago

it still doesn't pardon the fact that joe went "silent" here on pinside back in may and has been sh*t silent for updates on all fronts (pinside, the kickstarter site and the paperflock site).

there's really no excuse for it, and he's got a lot of explaining to do to even begin to start attempting to earn any respect (let alone confidence) back

#781 6 years ago

I understand how Kickstarter works (I have one project I pledged for almost three years ago still chugging along) and am not fretting about the book but their radio silence is just killing any support for future projects from a lot of people here.

You get tunnel vision doing these things but the lack of occasional updates is really hurting their image.

#782 6 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Ok I got into contact with Joe Rubinstein last night. He told me that we are not conned, that there will be an update in the next few days, and that there was a couple of rewrites that were likely understandably out of their control. Paperflock is making good progress and getting the book done soon. Would have really liked to know about these delays or anything though rather than dead silence. Also Joe shipped out his completed cosplay Kickstarter to backers recently. So there is that.

So, is Peterson/Stern or this Joe Rubinstein lying? It seems that their answers CONflict.

#783 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

So, is Peterson/Stern or this Joe Rubinstein lying? It seems that their answers CONflict.

I don't see it that way. Stern says the hold up is on their end, that they have a proof copy on their desk. Joe is saying there were some rewrites at Sterns request and progress continues. At least that is how I am reading it.

#784 6 years ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

I don't see it that way. Stern says the hold up is on their end, that they have a proof copy on their desk. Joe is saying there were some rewrites at Sterns request and progress continues. At least that is how I am reading it.

This is how I am reading it as well. Maybe there was issues with Disney giving the ok with a pinball game but not ok when it was to be featured in a book. Like there could be a million things and I don't want to speculate on any of it. It could be that the legal department told PaperFlock not to talk about these troubles as well but again that is just speculation.

#785 6 years ago

December update, posted here in the interest of public record.

Hello Kickstarter Backers!

I know some of you have been eagerly awaiting another update. Here we go.

We have gotten some notes from Stern on the text and, as you can imagine, they requested we remove some content due to recent events. Zach the writer has obliged us and got us two new versions of the text a few days ago. We have read through the new text and while we feel the story is good, we also feel it needs some work before it goes on to the editor.

We really wanted to get this done and out this month, and have been weighing our options to push the project to completion. We have decided to hang on a little longer to make the project right. We want this to be something we can all be proud of and happy with for years to come so we figure it's worth spending a couple more months, doing another revision, and getting it right. You paid for a great book; that's exactly what we are going to deliver.

I don't know exactly what the completion date will be, but moving forward I promise we will do at least one update a month informing everyone of our progress.

I know it's frustrating having to wait, but you can believe us when we tell you this project is going on longer and is much more complicated than we could have imagined when we started. However the finish line is in sight and the product is getting better with every revision.

Thank you all again for your support, your patience, and your enthusiasm.

We are doing our best to make this the best possible book,

Joe and Dameon, the Paperflock team

#786 6 years ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

and the product is getting better with every revision.

......well, shorter....

#787 6 years ago

I know it's frustrating having to wait, but you can believe us when we tell you this project is going on longer and is much more complicated than we could have imagined when we started.

Funny how that happens.

#788 6 years ago

Wow, Joe is promising an update once a month now! If he actually does it, should only be 5-6 more updates...

#789 6 years ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

December update, posted here in the interest of public record.

WTF didn't they post that update here?
    Those ArseHats were all happy to come hock their "warez" here in the forum to drive up their kickstarter... then they "can't be bothered" to communicate in those same threads.

Paperflock; you will NEVER get a dime from me because of this.

#790 6 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Those ArseHats were all happy to come hock their "warez" here in the forum to drive up their kickstarter... then they "can't be bothered" to communicate in those same threads.

To be fair, it was an update sent to all backers of the project (people with skin in the game) via email and posted on the Kickstarter site in the backer section. Many project leaders post in various forums and facebook groups to promote a Kickstarter during the campaign and then only post updates to backers. They rarely go back to every place they solicited from to post updates, why would they if they are updating all the backers with one step?

I posted it here since the community has been active in the discussion about the campaign (and its communication issues) and I felt it was in the best interest of the community to know that an update was posted.

#791 6 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

They definitely need to communicate more, it has been lacking. But if you pledged, what updates there are get sent directly to you. Complaining that they aren't keeping everyone who didn't pledge notified of what is going on seems a bit crazy to me, especially as this thread started with bashing the whole project to begin with.

#792 6 years ago

Did that pretty much confirm they have to whitewash John Trudeau? I understand being upset with them, but that's a really crappy situation they are in, that they didnt cause or have control over.

#793 6 years ago

cosmicjim:
    maybe, however if they had completed the book "on time", the whole john trudeau thing wouldn't have happened yet and would be a non-issue
    they are already a year late on its delivery, so I'm sorry but they don't deserve any sympathy whatsoever in my book

#794 6 years ago

Ah, I didn’t know it was that late.

#795 6 years ago

well, not exactly a year but it was supposed by complete by the summer. so 6 months overdue with no real date still in sight
    my guess is by the time it goes to print and gets into the hands of the backers, it will be over a year overdue

#796 6 years ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

They rarely go back to every place they solicited from to post updates, why would they if they are updating all the backers with one step?

I had a big response typed out; but I'll leave it at this:
    I have a real problem with people who pop their head into a random site just to say "hey; give me money" and then disappear.

#797 6 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I have a real problem with people who pop their head into a random site just to say "hey; give me money" and then disappear.

The only opinions I care about are the 444 people who put their $ where their mouths are. Everyone else is just static.

#798 6 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I will give you this; there is only one major message board for pinball unlike the dozens of sites a video game Kickstarter or Board Game Kickstarter would have to post do so it would not have been that hard to keep the majority of the online pinball community updated.

#799 6 years ago

Am I the only one who finds it odd that recent events require new edits? The book is supposed to be a historical document. Trudeau worked at Stern and contributed to the book. Why now leave that out? It's not like we leave historic events out of the history books because we didn't like the main players involved. If you're documenting 30 years of Stern, isn't that what it should be? Or should it be 30 years minus a few games?

#800 6 years ago

I'm guessing it's not to remove all trace of him or his games, but likely when they extended the book to feature in depth new game development, it was a Trudeau title. Because the charges are so unpleasant and toxic, is that the person they want featured in a big way? Not to mention that title (I'm assuming the rumored Iron Maiden) was bumped in release to be retooled, to unbrand it as a "Trudea game" and assign ownership to another designer. So, the book can't destroy that narrative.

It is what it is at this point.

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 60.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter/page/16?hl=steveman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.