Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 86 days ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 60.
    #701 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

No problem, thought I'd ask for everyone.

Well at least now we know it's not Paperflock that's dragging this process...

If Stern had a public stock I would short the shit out of it right about now, they are rudderless.

#702 6 years ago

I wonder if the "real" reason is still their Trudeau problem. How to excise him from the book, and if he was featured as the big game they were following.

But not surprised they would never say anything about that.

#703 6 years ago

I just got an email from Kickstarter with an update.

Nothing of note. Said what Stern said, Stern is reviewing. They hired an editor. Obviously this isn't going to print any time soon but they didn't give any new dates.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paperflock/keeping-the-ball-alive-30-years-of-stern-pinball/posts/2014577

#704 6 years ago

They said the full text is complete, that's a pretty big deal. And yes Stern has the text and is reviewing it.

#705 6 years ago

Never seen so many exclamation points in my life in the newest PF news release, so I'm sure this book will be epic...

#706 6 years ago
    Quoted from GotAQuestion:

They said the full text is complete, that's a pretty big deal. And yes Stern has the text and is reviewing it.

See, this is the kind of update they could have sent out before today. Obviously the text was finished and was sent to Stern for review. This happened before this week. Why not update us? Oh well.

#707 6 years ago

thanks for sharing frolic and agree if they gave weekly or fortnightly updates it would keep everyone positive

#708 6 years ago

Thanks for posting.

#709 6 years ago

Stern are so under resourced they have no time to review the manuscript. Why is that not surprising? Maybe that's what Lyman has been doing while he should have been working on B66 code.

#710 6 years ago

Just was emailed an update

Kickstarter

October Update
    Posted by PaperFlock Inc (Creator)
    Hello Kickstarter Backers!
    We hope some of you are having a fun Expo!
    We are wanted to let you all know that we are still working away at the book! All of the text for the book has been written! We have hired Amanda Hudgins to edit the book! She is an amazing editor who has worked with Zack, our writer, before!
    The full text has been sent to the good folks at Stern to look over and give notes. As you can imagine they have been a bit busy leading up to Expo though.
    But we are plowing through our design phase anyway!
    Here are some sample layout designs:

We are so excited to get through the final stages of this project and get books out to everyone!
    As always, thank you all for your support! Dameon & Joe, the Paperflock team

IMG_1373 (resized).PNGIMG_1373 (resized).PNG
    IMG_1374 (resized).PNGIMG_1374 (resized).PNG

IMG_1376 (resized).PNGIMG_1376 (resized).PNG
    IMG_1378 (resized).PNGIMG_1378 (resized).PNG
    IMG_1377 (resized).PNGIMG_1377 (resized).PNG

#711 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I wonder if the "real" reason is still their Trudeau problem. How to excise him from the book, and if he was featured as the big game they were following.
    But not surprised they would never say anything about that.

In fact, Trudeau should not really be a problem. He has dedigned some really coolpi vall machines for Stern. He is part of Stern's history.
    The time, it was revealed that there could be something wrong with him, they finished working with him immediately.
    So, in my oppinion, no problem at all.

#712 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I think everyone understands things on Kickstarter don't go as planned. The problem with this particular project is the radio silence. Never a good way to handle things and never excusable.

Yup. I'm hoping we get these books in time for Christmas.

I know a slight tad more details about the Trudeau incident and found them odd. People may not understand or realize that yeah sure what he did was terrible. Some people may even sell or never play his games again. People may not realize how it affected the people actually IN the industry though. It affected his friends like Steve Ritchie and others who have known each other since the 80's. They did stuff together outside of work, helped each other at work, met family/friends. It's like a family member or part of your club of friends that have stuck together since EVER in a dying industry only to see it comeback. Even more incredible is that your 60 and you have all these people from 8yr old kids to people your age just wanting an autograph and picture with a backglass of a game you made decade's ago. You have all of these emotions then of course it's all over the news and now we have podcasts, etc.

Personally I met Mr. Trudeau albeit very briefly at Pintastic. He held a panel and unfortunately it was the first panel of the day and I woke up a tad late on that Saturday morning and missed it. Nobody recorded it of course. I did however meet him in the hallway. I was shocked that I was meeting THE John Trudeau and told him that "while initially I hated GB, it has started to grown on me". He thanked me and genuinely seemed like a nice guy.

#713 6 years ago
    Quoted from master_of_chaos:

In fact, Trudeau should not really be a problem. He has dedigned some really coolpi vall machines for Stern. He is part of Stern's history.
    The time, it was revealed that there could be something wrong with him, they finished working with him immediately.
    So, in my oppinion, no problem at all.

Some may share your opinion, but I think they'll likely opt to be cautious at this time. I'll be surprised to see him featured in a large way in the final book. His games will be in there, but no big photo and interview.

#714 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

The full text has been sent to the good folks at Stern to look over and give notes. As you can imagine they have been a bit busy leading up to Expo though.

Doing what exactly?

#715 6 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Doing what exactly?

Building and shipping over 200 machines a week. Plus part & accessory sales. Also working on their next three game designs.

#716 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Building and shipping over 200 machines a week. Plus part & accessory sales. Also working on their next three game designs.

Yeah at the expense of their last 3 game designs...

1 week later
    #717 6 years ago

So has anybody heard , or even know Zombie Yeti personally , to ask if they have approached him about the supposed artwork he was doing for the book . If the text is all but finalised then shouldn't they have him well under way to designing the artwork . That is , of course , if they were actually using him to do specific artwork for the book or were they just going to use artwork which he already has out there . Not that we may be able to find out either , but wasn't Slash meant to do the foreword and a special cover etc. ?

#718 6 years ago
    Quoted from MIL:

So has anybody heard , or even know Zombie Yeti personally , to ask if they have approached him about the supposed artwork he was doing for the book . If the text is all but finalised then shouldn't they have him well under way to designing the artwork . That is , of course , if they were actually using him to do specific artwork for the book or were they just going to use artwork which he already has out there . Not that we may be able to find out either , but wasn't Slash meant to do the foreword and a special cover etc. ?

Yeah that is all coming. Right now it seems to be a waiting game on final approvals from Stern pinball.

#719 6 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Right now it seems to be a waiting game on final approvals from Stern pinball.

...or sanitizing from Stern Pinball....

2 weeks later
    #720 6 years ago

Not happy at all about the lack of updates. This is a great example of keeping backers up-to-date from "Not For Resale" https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/not-for-resale-a-video-game-store-documentary-film-media#/updates/all

1 week later
    #721 6 years ago

Hey Paperflockers--how about a progress report, only been 32 days or so since the last one...

#722 6 years ago

anyone want to start placing bets on whether this project sees completion before it's 2 year anniversary?

#723 6 years ago

Not taking that bet, j_m_!

One thing I am sure of--the Paperflockers have shown me the light, I'll never participate in another Kickstarter project...

#724 6 years ago

I think we got our answer at Expo. 32nd year, which is 2018 sometime. If we're lucky, before Expo 2018.

#725 6 years ago

I hope I get it before Sterns 35th anniversary. I kid I kid

#726 6 years ago

lets say that we take Stern on the word that PF is waiting for Stern to approve copy

they could still give the option to ship or give updates on
    Digital Wallpaper Pack (how hard is this really.....)
    T-shirt
    18x24 Poster
    24 x 36 Exclusive Zombie Yeti zombieyeti Print
    Custom Dickies Jacket
    Enamel Pin
    Quarter Dispenser
    I trust that JoeDP and Stern are keeping an eye on this thread, but are not talking for whatever reason. (Busy making pinballs I would assume or finishing up other kickstarters)

#727 6 years ago

Joe only kept a close eye on this thread when he was soliciting our money.

#728 6 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

Joe only kept a close eye on this thread when he was soliciting our money.

absolutely 100% correct and the proof is here:
    joe dp (resized).jpgjoe dp (resized).jpg

Pinsider since February 22nd, 2016 (Last seen May 14th, 2017)

I also believe that he or the [rest? of paperflock?] did not attend the chicago expo this year. if they did, they made no mention, nor were they present at the stern lecture (and given that there was plenty of stern signage posted at the 2016 expo promoting the book, it would have been the perfect time to step up and speak up about the state of the book

#729 6 years ago

I have to wonder how much John Trudeau threw this project for a loop. There was quite a bit of Ghostbusters stuff here, along with Trudeau's recent games. Could be that they didn't want to release this so close to all that drama. It would be sad to cut it from the book, because it's a big part of Stern's recent history, but I understand that hesitation.

#730 6 years ago

I think your answer Pinside is that JoeDP is now a gray heart. He used and abused Pinside to run his scam, take the money, and then run away.

How does robin feel about that? Raise $50k and can't even send a Pinside donation anymore once he has the money.

#731 6 years ago

I know I'd bet money this is because of Trudeau.

#732 6 years ago

if someone is down in NYC go check out Jakprints as I am sure he is one of the team. When you read the FAQ (last one) is a mention of a Dameon Guess and did a search on him and he owns jakprints

https://www.facebook.com/jakprints/posts/10154107983566648

#733 6 years ago

For those who did not know there is a new Kickstarter campaign for a new pinball book launched by Jonathan Joosten
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kickstarter-campaign-for-new-pinball-book-launched

Jonathan Joosten just launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund a new coffee table photo book by Argentinean photographer Santiago Ciuffo. The new book is called Pinball Road Trip and features photos of pinball machines located in California and Las Vegas.

The campaign can be backed by pledging 35 Euro or more plus shipping. To fund this campaign, please visit the Kickstarter campaign page now: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1532002338/pinball-road-trip-a-photo-documentary

#734 6 years ago

That is cool and all, but the P-Flockers have cured me from ever supporting any pinball book on Kickstarter.

#735 6 years ago

Trudeau caused this ??
    Did his arrest stop Paperflock updating the backers ?? Did his arrest prevent JoeDP from coming on Pinside ?

Stop making excuses for these individuals.

#736 6 years ago

Paperflock's (and Stern Pinball's) failure to communicate should bear no reflection upon Pinball Magazine @unigroove, who is known to deliver.

#737 6 years ago
    Quoted from flerp:

Paperflock's (and Stern Pinball's) failure to communicate should bear no reflection upon Pinball Magazine unigroove, who is known to deliver.

I know, I know.
    But I am personally so p***d off by this one I simply cannot do the Kickstarter stuff again for another pinball book.

#738 6 years ago
    Quoted from flerp:

Paperflock's (and Stern Pinball's) failure to communicate should bear no reflection upon Pinball Magazine unigroove, who is known to deliver.

It's more that I've got money tied up in Paperflop that should be tied up with unigroove. If I could get my money out of the Paperflop and give it to unigroove I would.

#739 6 years ago

Hm.
    Checking their Facebook, Twitter and website there is no sign of life (aside from Joe's last post here half a year ago) from them since end of 2016. Their latest project still appears to be the Stern book.
    Let's hope the ball is really in Stern's court and Paperflock can eventually deliver what they promised.

#740 6 years ago

Thanks for mentioning Pinball Magazine's recent Pinball Road Trip Kickstarter campaign. The support and compliments are appreciated. I can see how some may feel towards backing another Kickstarter campaign while still waiting for previously backed campaigns to deliver. All I can say is that contrary to some other campaigns the content for the Pinball Road Trip book already exists. In theory the book can go to print right after the campaign successfully gets funded. As there is still some copy editing to be done it will be a little later, but I expect the book to be delivered by February 2018 at the latest. If that helps making you feel a bit more secure about funding and delivery, feel free to check out my campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1532002338/pinball-road-trip-a-photo-documentary.

As for the PaperFlock project: I hope they will deliver soon. I'm very interested in seeing what book they managed to create.

#741 6 years ago
    Quoted from fishbone:

Hm.
    Checking their Facebook, Twitter and website there is no sign of life (aside from Joe's last post here half a year ago) from them since end of 2016. Their latest project still appears to be the Stern book.
    Let's hope the ball is really in Stern's court and Paperflock can eventually deliver what they promised.

There was an update 38 days ago.

#742 6 years ago

If there had been updates every 38 days--that would have been a vast improvement in news from the P-Flockers...and that is still giving them a pass on all the input they were going to solicit from their backers for content of the book.

Inexcusable lack of communication.

#743 6 years ago

I wonder how deep STERN is involved in this project.
    Where they paid for the "interviews" and thats all? Or are they really interested that this book will happen?
    Whatever their role in this campaign was/is, they should be aware that in case of a fraud, their name will be attached to this forever.

#744 6 years ago
    Quoted from master_of_chaos:

I wonder how deep STERN is involved in this project.

Only deep enough to take out stuff that makes them look bad....

#745 6 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Thanks for mentioning Pinball Magazine's recent Pinball Road Trip Kickstarter campaign. The support and compliments are appreciated. I can see how some may feel towards backing another Kickstarter campaign while still waiting for previously backed campaigns to deliver. All I can say is that contrary to some other campaigns the content for the Pinball Road Trip book already exists. In theory the book can go to print right after the campaign successfully gets funded. As there is still some copy editing to be done it will be a little later, but I expect the book to be delivered by February 2018 at the latest. If that helps making you feel a bit more secure about funding and delivery, feel free to check out my campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1532002338/pinball-road-trip-a-photo-documentary.

I backed your Kickstarter. Good luck with the rest of the campaign!

#746 6 years ago

Is there anybody who can contact Zach Sharpe about this book?

#747 6 years ago

I just open this thread back up after a while - What is the bottom line here? Did all the backers get screwed? Is this getting made?

#748 6 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

I just open this thread back up after a while - What is the bottom line here? Did all the backers get screwed? Is this getting made?

Bottom line, no one knows.

#749 6 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Is there anybody who can contact Zach Sharpe about this book?

You can.

1 week later
    #750 6 years ago

Sent a message on Stern's website to their PR/Marketing team last Tuesday I believe. Got nothing back from them. I'm literally hitting the panic button here now. The worst part is Stern helped promote this so they are actively involved in this whole ordeal.

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 60.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.