Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,971 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by wizard1
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6548 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6547 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8317 (resized).jpeg
    9D1D118F-4B17-4E26-A3E4-F3031D7BCF8F (resized).jpeg
    pins (resized).png
    IMG_20210329_213847 (resized).jpg
    553B7374-1E3F-467F-8388-1FCD953EE318 (resized).jpeg
    2A285160-CF0C-4F98-AC03-E1E82BBD1EDE (resized).jpeg
    9C5A04D6-A4A8-4E45-BD6C-82F5383C4A04 (resized).jpeg
    1D2E567F-B7D7-48FF-A43A-AADE4E7CDF5D (resized).jpeg
    9639A97F-CA02-46CF-9DDD-A8277C6A35F1 (resized).jpeg
    FE4D13CB-BEF6-49CB-9D58-09A871BD63B0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210320_150907 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210320_150829 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 60.
    #601 6 years ago

Well, be nice to hear from Joe once in awhile--but he is probably still on vacation (or something).

#602 6 years ago

*peeks in*

*has a small chuckle*

*drains thread*

#603 6 years ago

Come on Frax, this all is at least worth a medium chuckle!

1 week later
    #604 6 years ago

Taking bets on what day the next update will land...pick your bet. One per person. Bonus points if you pick the book shipping date. You can pick any date between now and 2024.
    September 17
    September 18
    September 19
    September 20
    September 21
    September 22

Oct..
    Nov..

I'll send the update winner a rad pinball prize...

#605 6 years ago

2024? You are going to need to extend that.

#606 6 years ago

In other news...
    2017, not Stern's year?

#607 6 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

2024? You are going to need to extend that.

To be clear, I just said update, not book shipping. But you made me laugh so I'll include some Canadian maple syrup in the prize pack now.

#608 6 years ago

Oh, in that case. Update in 4, 3, 2, 1. Probably won't happen.

This update brought to you by the letters n and o.

#609 6 years ago

Maybe Trudeau can start/finish the book from his prison cell.....

#610 6 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Maybe Trudeau can start/finish the book from his prison cell.....

Only if he gets CONvicted and has to serve time.

#611 6 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

This update brought to you by the letters n and o.

Are you in on the book?

#612 6 years ago
    Quoted from puck:

Are you in on the book?

No I saw that coming. But... if it happens I sure wouldn't mind picking one up.

#613 6 years ago

They claimed last time the book would be finished and printing some time in October, so based on their track record I predict no update till November 3 when they announce their latest delay.

#614 6 years ago

Whats the delay, playfield ghosting on cover?

#615 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I predict no update till November 3 when they announce their latest delay.

I'll say October 31. All tricks. No treats.

#616 6 years ago

They do have the best excuse, and they've used it already: "It's delayed because we wanted to include photos and information about ((insert title of Stern's newest release here)) in the book!"

I'll bet the next update includes a heavy reference to Star Wars. A smoke and mirrors excuse to hide the fact that they are dragging their feet on the entire project or there are larger production issues at play?

#617 6 years ago

i fear, that they have(!) to remove any evidence regarding JT from the book, as STERN does on their facebook page.
    This book was not planned as a historical document with all highs and... hmmm. lows.
    so any further delay could be excused with the Trudeau-thing

#618 6 years ago
    Quoted from master_of_chaos:

i fear, that they have(!) to remove any evidence regarding JT from the book, as STERN does on their facebook page.
    This book was not planned as a historical document with all highs and... hmmm. lows.
    so any further delay could be excused with the Trudeau-thing

All too convenient. That story broke a month ago. What caused the radio silence and delays before that ?

1 week later
    #619 6 years ago

Well, it is almost October, so our books should be on the way any time now--right Joe?

Hello...Joe--you still out there?

#620 6 years ago

If all is going to plan, the project should be in the proofing stage. The lack of updates has been.....disappointing. I'm a huge supporter of this project but man the updates have been sorely needed.

#621 6 years ago

Well, it's almost Expo time again...where Stern pumped this book last year...so I'm sure they will get questions about it during their Stern event this year. I would expect a complete passing of the buck and less than honest answers, but at least you could get someone to lie to you face to face.

#622 6 years ago

One day left...

#623 6 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

If all is going to plan, the project should be in the proofing stage. The lack of updates has been.....disappointing. I'm a huge supporter of this project but man the updates have been sorely needed.

Wait, shouldn't you be going through the thread down voting anybody who was sceptical ? Maybe you should down vote yourself ?

#624 6 years ago
    Quoted from stoptap:

Wait, shouldn't you be going through the thread down voting anybody who was sceptical ? Maybe you should down vote yourself ?

You folks didn't give Joe and his partner any chance at all and just compared this project to other projects and went "why Kickstarter". Now however is the only time you can start complaining or be suspicious rather than be "why is my book not done in 4 months already". They laid out their plans, have a good track record, and put out updates that unfortunately were not consistent. According to the last update the book should be in the final stages meaning we should see more stuff like a final cover, something. Maybe it will be shown off at expo? One can hope people who buy a ticket to Sterns party gets a book or can buy one there.

#625 6 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

You folks didn't give Joe and his partner any chance at all and just compared this project to other projects and went "why Kickstarter". Now however is the only time you can start complaining or be suspicious rather than be "why is my book not done in 4 months already". They laid out their plans, have a good track record, and put out updates that unfortunately were not consistent. According to the last update the book should be in the final stages meaning we should see more stuff like a final cover, something. Maybe it will be shown off at expo? One can hope people who buy a ticket to Sterns party gets a book or can buy one there.

People were (rightly) sceptical about the whole project. Like so many before the Kickstarter system has proved to be a means of extracting money from customers with no concrete assurances coming from the developer.
    If this book was as important to Stern as they made out, THEY should have covered the development costs. The whole thing has been shabbily handled and (once again) it is people who have paid money who have taken the shit.

My issue with you is you went WAY beyond backing this individual and descended into attacking anyone who expressed doubt or concern.

#626 6 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Maybe it will be shown off at expo? One can hope people who buy a ticket to Sterns party gets a book or can buy one there.

That would be great. I am tired of the wait.

#627 6 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

That would be great. I am tired of the wait.

Yep, hoping to have the book in my hands by Christmas 2017.

#628 6 years ago

Joe has been his own worst enemy here. He was all over this thread until his project fully funded, then disappeared. How hard would it have been to post once in awhile?

#629 6 years ago

I counted 69 posts of his in this thread. 63 of those were up to the end of the kickstarter. 6 since, and obviously next to none for most of the past year.

#630 6 years ago

Did Joe take the money and run? No updates is unforgivable. Not that hard, Just took me 6 seconds to post.

#631 6 years ago

It will be interesting to see if he attends Expo. I hope we get an update before that.

#632 6 years ago

Does he have any new kickstarters?

#633 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Bally didn't use a Kickstarter campaign for their 65th or 75th Anniversary books.

How good are these books? Worth ordering?

#634 6 years ago

Page for JoeDP please come in JoeDP

#635 6 years ago

This is why I don't do kick starters or preorders. Once they take your money, you got nothing they need. When you got nothing they need, they could give two shits about your update.

#636 6 years ago

Hay!...ya preorder, ya take yer chances!

#637 6 years ago

For those of you who backed this, when did you last get an update via Kickstarter?

#638 6 years ago

Aug 1/17

#639 6 years ago

Ouch. Sorry.

#640 6 years ago
    Quoted from stoptap:

People were (rightly) sceptical about the whole project. Like so many before the Kickstarter system has proved to be a means of extracting money from customers with no concrete assurances coming from the developer.
    If this book was as important to Stern as they made out, THEY should have covered the development costs. The whole thing has been shabbily handled and (once again) it is people who have paid money who have taken the shit.
    My issue with you is you went WAY beyond backing this individual and descended into attacking anyone who expressed doubt or concern.

Because you folks instantly started attacking Paper Flock because the theory was Stern should have backed this. Stern doesn't care if this book gets made or not but it's odd that their name is on it and they have not said anything about it. Most people on here are oblivious as to how a normal Kickstarter works and they only read about the horror stories. It's the typical Pinside mentality though and just brutally shut down the project before it gets off the ground because it wasn't like a previous pinball publication. To be fair to Joe and his partner have been responsive when I e-mailed them. Usually an update came out after.

#641 6 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Because you folks instantly started attacking Paper Flock because the theory was Stern should have backed this. Stern doesn't care if this book gets made or not but it's odd that their name is on it and they have not said anything about it. Most people on here are oblivious as to how a normal Kickstarter works and they only read about the horror stories. It's the typical Pinside mentality though and just brutally shut down the project before it gets off the ground because it wasn't like a previous pinball publication. To be fair to Joe and his partner have been responsive when I e-mailed them. Usually an update came out after.

No, no, no. I've run a Kickstarter...and I started this thread. No they shouldn't have done a Stern book with Kickstarter. It shows how grossly out of touch the publisher and Stern are with the fan base. Stern had marketing materials promoting this so they are involved. Period.

To put anything on Pinside is horseshit. Either you give timely updates or you don't. Regardless of what people are saying on Pinside.

Overdue with no update in two months. Unacceptable.

#642 6 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

No, no, no. I've run a Kickstarter...and I started this thread. No they shouldn't have done a Stern book with Kickstarter. It shows how grossly out of touch the publisher and Stern are with the fan base. Stern had marketing materials promoting this so they are involved. Period.
    To put anything on Pinside is horseshit. Either you give timely updates or you don't. Regardless of what people are saying on Pinside.
    Overdue with no update in two months. Unacceptable.

Totally agree with you on this. This is one of like the ten commandments of Kickstarter.

#643 6 years ago

Writing a book is hard...the end!

#644 6 years ago

Expo delivery?

#645 6 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

It's the typical Pinside mentality though and just brutally shut down the project before it gets off the ground because it wasn't like a previous pinball publication.

Seems like Pinside was very effective in helping raise the $50k.

#646 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

How good are these books? Worth ordering?

They are excellent for anyone interested in the history of the company and it's people. The books concentrate on the Company at 65 and 75 years though, which is an International Slot & gaming equipment manufacturer. Pinball is mentioned but is not the focal point.

#647 6 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

If Stern didn't care whether it got published or not, why did they promote it ?

#648 6 years ago
    Quoted from stoptap:

If Stern didn't care whether it got published or not, why did they promote it ?

I agree. In the beginning there were lots of video taped interviews with Stern employees. I'm guessing Stern told them they'd get resources/help with the book but no $$.

#649 6 years ago

Hmmm.... the Stern book is not the first book Joe has run a kickstarter for and left people waiting on

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joedp/costumed-play-a-fine-art-cosplay-book

THAT book was supposed to be delivered Nov 2016 to backers, and still not.

#650 6 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Refunds will not happen. The risk is solely on the backers.

Oh I agree, nothing to refund, in the great tradition of Kickstarter the money was long ago spent, the backers delayed and delayed begging for more time and then when they know all hope is lost, they run away and hide. The only wrinkle with this project is Stern, but as we all know Stern bails nobody out but themselves, so again the pinball and Pinside community gets screwed.

Stern is lucky the dollar amount is so small as we have a generally wealthy and litigious membership.

There are 2,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 60.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-coffee-table-book-kickstarter/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.