Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 133 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by sebseb12
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    e3323c86479e13059c6377f4c74106922125b82d_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider centerflank.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from Dis_Pinballer:

He makes new pins, but code support sucks.
    I don't respect a guy who doesn't respect his customers.
    They are expensive toys, and deserve better support.
    ST code took forever to get to the stage that we are enjoying now.
    People are still without an update.
    He doesn't care about the customers.
    Taking a year for an update is ridiculous.
    90s pins are classics that are on the top 10 list.
    Taking your money as a deposit or waiting a year for good code are both bad scenarios.
    He isn't a hero for making new pins.
    He needs to make pins with good code coming out of the factory.
    That will keep pinball alive.

You should sell your sterns and go buy those 90's pins with complete code.

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from pintechev:

I love it when 'Flank shows up.
    Much respect brother.

Modern stern coding blows away majority of the 90's stuff, way easier to get to wizard modes and complete them on the old stuff.

Maybe that's why they are so highly ranked, people don't like a challenge.

#61 8 years ago

You just show up to shoot your mouth off, and sound like an idiot at times.

You'd think I wouldn't have to with you on here.

You still wear your pig tails like this?

Dis'TearsDis'Tears

#66 8 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Man, if you guys got on about B/W games with major bugs I think your heads would explode. How dare B/W have major issues in their code after 20 years?!?!?!?!

They cant hear this, they spent all this $ on a new pin and demand the code be done exactly the way they want it.

#72 8 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Good code isnt all about deep rules ? Its nice to have a hard challenge but thats not all that makes pins fun . A Nice light show , balanced scoring for risk vs reward shots, no bugs , dmd images and status are some important things that come to mind for a good code . There are alot of sterns that have nice rules but lack some of the important things which make them not very fun to play . Many of the w/b pins have very well polished code which make them super fun and great for tournaments .

Agreed, IM and TRON do not have deep rules and are an absolute blast to play!

#74 8 years ago

Another Gary fanboy...
    People are angry about code problems that have been going on for years.
    A lot of customers have lost respect for him and his company.
    I don't care if he likes me or not.
    I am a customer that put up with poor service for an expensive toy.
    I know he doesn't care about what people say.
    He cares about money and vodka.
    If he had true competition, he would not be in business any more.
    Fanboys like you who worship him like a king will keep him in business.
    There are a lot of people fed up with the lack of code.

Keep crying about your toys, all good. I'll just keep buying them. Best of luck!

#82 8 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

DNO I know we don't see eye to eye when it comes to Stern and their code release. I get it from an operator standpoint if people keep putting coins in the machine code is a moot point. But from a home collector standpoint how can any home collector vouch for a company that doesn't finish their product and doesn't implement code for features that are on the playfield? The company keeps doing it because people (home collectors) don't have the balls to stop buying NIB games when they are released. It's just bad business. One of the only reasons I love Stern games is because they are the only game in town. I could buy older games if I wanted too but really like finished Stern games. If their competitors could produce 1 or 2 games per year and release code in a timely manner, Stern would be in serious trouble. Who knows if that day will ever come. I just know that from my end, I refuse to buy games that have just been released and I wait to see what happens with the code. If enough people start doing that then it will affect Stern's bottom line.
    I don't wish them harm (even with my posts). I want them to wake up and at the same time I wish they could look at the bigger picture and realize the harm they are doing to themselves.
    On a positive note, I think GOT code release seems to be happening more frequently and it might be a sign of a changing tide. I truly hope so.

I like how your wish list is all sterns!

#97 8 years ago

What's not wrapped up on Xmen? I thought that game was pretty bad ass! Just some wiz mode dark Phoenix related?

#104 8 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

How about you can't reset the villains and end up into oblivion?

Is this after you achieve DarkPhoenix? Villains access DP correct? You have to complete them all or just start them so they are blinking to start DP?

Collecting each Xmen character gets Danger room, complete them all or start them all and complete Magneto multi-ball correct?

Whats going on with the villain modes that stops progression in the game?

#109 8 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Well when I had my xmen. And tested it with the glass off after the final most recent update after starting dark Phoenix and collecting the jackpots. Essentially beating it. You are unable to light any other characters, or start modes.
    No character inserts will light to try a second time.
    Yes things score, but any progression to danger room or dark Phoenix a second time is impossible.

Is there an actual "super jackpot" that beats the mode?

#112 8 years ago

You don't care about code because your business is catering to casual pinball players.
    People who put a few dollars in your machines.
    They don't care about or question code because they don't own the machines.
    They play your pins for an hour or more, and that is the extent of their investment.
    You sell older pins to pin stores that sell new and used pins, and get a fair value plus the revenue earned from your machines.
    They probably give you a good deal if you are trading a machine for a newer machine.
    It is win win for you.
    You don't understand the household owner.
    If you buy a car with a feature, and the dealer makes you wait a year to enjoy the feature, I guarantee you will be p*ssed unless you are a car rental service similiar to your pin arcade.
    It isn't a dead topic.
    It is dead to you because you have no stake with code.
    You make money regardless of code.
    If the game doesn't make a lot of money, you put the pin on the chopping block.
    Waiting a year for product support is telling customers that Stern employees/Gary aren't taking pride in their products.
    I don't care if Stern is the only pin manufacturer.
    It doesn't give them the right to treat paying customers like sh*t.
    Getting better code is called good customer support.

I'm a "household owner" and I've had few complaints with code, my specific one that sticks was the long time it took to get Xmen to a high level and I think they did that.

Even avengers is complete, it could use some polish but it's complete.

#113 8 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

No its just a scoring mode where every shot is a jackpot. But kind of lije power down on JM. Hit all the lit shots unlimited until you finally drain. Awesome animations.
    But once the mode ends you can never try to get there again in the same game.

I see, interesting, so yeah, could use a little polish too like avengers. Lyman seems to put in a lot of his own time to get new code revisions. I don't know much about Ropp but he might not have these games at home or maybe just doesn't have the time to do that once he punches out.

#117 8 years ago

Delete my thread for voicing an opinion...
    Maybe you need to move to a Communist country where freedom of speech is frowned on.
    You are the SadSack for attacking me for a differing opinion.
    Gary treats his customers like sh*t because of the horrible code support.
    There are a lot of people on Pinside that feel the same way.
    Most products sold have some sort of reasonable support.

Or you could add something substantial to your "post" instead of stomping your feet around in it like a 4 year old.

One thing people can do is stop setting games up so easy with easy extra balls or whatever they pitch them at, setting games at 5 ball to start with. Keep the glass on and challenge yourself, I'm calling out all the cupcakes.

#118 8 years ago

It took them forever to fix the Xmen code.
    They need better turnaround for code updates.
    ST is the same story.
    Waiting 1 year for an update is ridiculous.
    Hire more software engineers.
    Avengers isn't complete.
    A lot of people aren't happy with the current state of the code.
    It needs an update.
    Stern never addresses these issues.
    He sticks his head in the sand.
    They have a new building, but can't hire software engineers.

What's the current complaint that avengers isn't complete?

#121 8 years ago

For the Vs. modes, allow the user to go in the settings and select the number of shots required to win each Vs. mode (I believe there is already a setting for the amount of ball save time for Vs. modes which is good, but it would be much more fun to be able to also set in the settings the number of shots required to finish the modes to make them more achievable based on the player's abilities)
    -when extra ball is lit make the Black Widow shot send the ball to the Hulk VUK/scoop (make an option in the software for the diverter to divert and send the ball to the Hulk VUK instead of the left habitrail/inlane). Trying to shoot the scoop/hole directly for extra ball is frustrating and pure luck most of the time
    -Lower the multipliers that the Nick Fury shot awards by about half (those multipliers are far too unbalanced in relation to the rest of the scoring)
    -double the multiplier bonus for the pop bumper lanes to make them more valuable (there are six pop bumper lane lights so it is not easy to rack up those multipliers so why not make them more rewarding)
    -combos would add some extra fun to the shot making and since the shots are tight they could be made a little more valuable than most wide open games (the menu system already has placeholders for combos), also initials for combo champion and maybe best combo like in Spider-Man
    -Attract sounds when flippers pressed (a simple request)
    -Thor flasher bug
    -Fix the H target reset problem as described in the posts above
    -Battle for Earth add animations

Combos added in was the one thing I thought it really needed.

Menu adjustments to make the modes easier to complete is one thing I'll never be on board with. Challenge yourself!

#123 8 years ago

I am not stomping my feet.
    I am talking about a problem.
    Waiting ridiculous amount of time for code is just plain bad.
    I am not unhappy with the current state of ST, but it took forever to get a code update.
    People are still waiting for code on other pins.
    Stern has had this problem for years, and hasn't done much to fix the problem.
    They delete fb posts, and ban people for bringing up the code issues.
    Posts that were concerns, and not nasty attacks.
    They treat customers poorly.
    The pins are expensive.
    Most expensive products are accompanied with platinum support from other companies.
    Stern shouldn't be any different.
    I am not going to paint a rainbow pic of Gary and Stern.
    It has nothing to do about me stomping my feet.
    This post was for people to voice their issues or become educated with the issues.
    Some people attack others for negative Stern talk.
    If people fling mud, I can fling mud back.
    The post was to discuss the issue, and speculate on when/what pins are going to get code.
    Gary is the owner, and can fix these problems.

NIB pins are expensive but can you find one for less money than a Stern Pro?

You are shooting off in too many directions, focus on specifics.

Edit----how do they treat customers poorly other than being tight lipped on code update timeframes.

Yes, their FB sucks, I've been perm banned for awhile and they made it worse hiring that hack Jared to run shit.

#125 8 years ago
    Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

I got an X-men for X-mas. It's way sweet! I went through the game and both the Danger Room and Dark Phoenix played as they should. I didn't get to qualify it a second time on that game. I was able to play villain modes after I get through the DP Wiz-mode. I wonder if this is like Addams Family where you have to drain the ball to be able to qualify for the tour after you play it during a game?
    More seriously, I would like to take a moment and say that Donavan is a super-solid operator who makes sure his decks play great. When I find one of his tables out in the wild and it isn't tip-top, I shoot him a message and the next time I see it. It plays as it should (with whatever software is installed in it). Now even if the industry has shifted towards the hobbyist, the driving force are STILL the ops. Not us individual pinball collectors. This has been true in the past and it will be in the future because people like him ARE BUYING NEW GAMES. These are the people who keep the production lines at Stern, JJP and other companies moving. If it wasn't for the operators, pinball would truly be a hobbyist's game and maybe not even around at all. Oh yeah... he aso runs monthly tourneys, leagues, travels to the big events (and wins), and he's also the best pinball player in this time zone. So, he pretty much lives it. Every day. While I'm a decent player and have a few games on location, he's a much better pinball player and operator. When we talk about stuff like this, I listen to him very carefully (esp. when talking about buying games). He takes these matters very seriously because his livelihood depends on it.
    Now Pat Lawlor had a great interview with Shaggy on the This Old Pinball Podcast where he talked about TZ being the worst thing he could have done. He admitted that he got lost in his own hype and forgot to give ops a great game that would be reliable on site. That's the reason why ops want a TAF and drop TZ's all day long. Reliability. Now Stern games are simpler mechanically. Even the home brew designs are simpler (Look at the Archer Project and consider the creativity balanced with the mechanics on the game) than most of the PF designs of the 90's. Stern comes out with new designs and art packages many times a year, but the demands of the minority require deeper and more complex rulesets and stratgegies. When games first come out, they work. After a few years, they are tuned, refined and dialed. Many times this happens after players find an "exploit" in the rules of a deck. B/W rarely made changes in code after on site play testing was completed. Gottlieb/Premier/DE had faster turn around times and they hardly ever updated code. The next game's production was the focus of the team now. Stern is GOING BACK and spending time, money and resources to make their games better. In some cases, this comes purely at the expense of passionate programmers who put their own time into the games, to make them as perfect as they can. Is it ideal, no. Could it be better, sure. But I am not going to hold it against them. I'm going to trust them to do their jobs the best they can with the resources they have. Yeah. I have talked to Lyman and Keith. And the first thing I tell them is "Thank you. My life is better for the work you have done." And they smile. It's a beautiful thing.
    In summary, people like DNO (and the global driving operators who are not on these forums) are the ones swinging the bat. People like you and me are coming up later and in much smaller influential amounts. When we start handing pinball companies checks with lots of zeroes behind them, we might have some weight to throw around. But we don't. So please, know your place in the chain of pinball importance. If you really think that you are making pinball better by posting on this forum in this manner, great. Keep telling yourself that. But I'm not here to be angry. I'm here to have fun and talk pinball.
    Still, I wish that my 1980 Nine-Ball's code was updated though...
    sigh...

Great edit! Thank you.

If I may summarize, know your fucking roll!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider centerflank.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-code-updates-1?tu=centerflank and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.