Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jawjaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

It seems perhaps stern is becoming more disciplined in regards to code delivery? What have the past couple of games been like from a code delivery standpoint...seems about one material code update every 8 weeks or so?

I've played kiss and really liked it but don't want to get stuck waiting a year for it to be playable...

Pulling the trigger on a pin that does not have completed code doesn't feel right but if stern has stepped up on the last couple pins maybe I can feel reasonably confident in doing so?

Constructive input welcomed!!! Thanks

#2 8 years ago

Don't count on stern to update any code. If you buy the game, assume you wont get an update.

#3 8 years ago

Almost a year for TWD complete code. The game was still enjoyable from new and it was actually kind of neat to see the game come together with each code update.

#4 8 years ago

Where Avengers still has some bugs in the code and Stern is toying with their responses - may update and may not. Game is still good but needs polish on a few items.

Like Rlerman stated, just be aware if you buy the game it may or may not be polished (if you say done Stern will tell you it's already done so don't even engage in the argument).

#5 8 years ago

I am really into newer sterns, but dont have gambling money, so i have purchased pins with (mostly)complete code.....Met pro LED, Star Trek(after newest code), acdc, and ironman ve........ Its worth the wait to me, and couldn't be happier.

#6 8 years ago

I believe they did finally update the Wheel of Fortune code didn't they? I think that one was only 10 years or so. So I say go for it!

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Don't count on stern to update any code. If you buy the game, assume you wont get an update.

Agreed. Buy years after release to be certain that a game has everything you want if you're conservative or unsure. If you don't think you'd have fun with it long-term in it's current state, then pass.

I was burned on Metallica by buying when I didn't know that everything on the PF wasn't working, then I understood that when you go Stern NIB you're in for the longer haul when it comes to code. I went in on TWD understanding that, but I mistakenly thought they'd never end up with a TWD game without the voices of the characters.

I do like both of those games a lot though, so in the end I'm happy, but buying NIB is definitely a different journey than buying a used game.

#8 8 years ago

2 years now for ST. The code is good but the game still has bugs. Missing callouts and complete sounds when completing or starting some modes.
    Hopefully since they are still making them they will finish off the game.

But honestly I wouldn't count on it.

Sterns average seems to be about two years after release code is "finished"
    However its been longer for games like Avengers.
    And WWE will probably go the way of WOF.

After buying ST NIB. Thats the end of my "unfinished" Stern purchases.

Too much of a let down, constantly waiting.
    "Stay tuned!"

2 weeks later
    #9 8 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

2 years now for ST. The code is good but the game still has bugs. Missing callouts and complete sounds when completing or starting some modes.
    "Stay tuned!"

Good post. Thanks.

So do they ever actually say "code is finished"?

Also, with a tool like pinbrowser could someone 'clean up' code on something like ST? (I'm not saying that's acceptable but if sterns MO is to get a game 'pretty much done' and screw the home buyers, I guess it's up to us if we want a truly 'finished' pin maybe?)

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

"Stay tuned!"

Jody from Stern announced on Dead Flips that they are going to do ST, Avengers, WWE. No timing announced, just it was being worked on.

#11 8 years ago

I'm very curious to see how they can improve Avengers. I love the shots and the action on that game but the mundane/redundant rules never excited me.

As for TWD, it was awesome to see how that game came together with updates. It went from being a bit of a mess at the beginning to one of the most exciting machines I've ever played.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Jody from Stern announced on Dead Flips that they are going to do ST, Avengers, WWE. No timing announced, just it was being worked on.

That's been the story for a while but I agree with Lermods - don't expect anything. If you buy a game, make sure you are happy with the way it sits. Stern has been delivering updates but there are still many games that could really use an update. The problem has been how long it takes. You could blame Stern's move to a new building for some of that but it's not exactly a recent problem.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-code-schedule and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.